GDT: 2022 STANLEY CUP discussion thread Part 10 . Final. Tampa Bay Lightning 3-0-6-2-3 (2) vs Colorado Avalanche 4-7-2-3-2 (3)

Your Conn Smythe winner is:

• Andrei Vasilevskiy

• Nathan McKinnon

• Nikita Kucherov

• Cale Makar

• Victor Hedman

• Gabriel Landeskog

• Arthuri Lehkonen

• Mikhail Sergachev

• Other, specify.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
The Drou-Drou trade was great as a win now move. The moment we lost Radulov and Markov that trade looked awful. Sergachev was our Markov replacement.

This has been one of the problems with the Habs for years. We never really took a step back for a while to stock the cupboard. The last few times we sucked we just made a few trades and tried to do a quick patch job instead trying to build a team on a solid foundation that could contend for years.

Reactions: the

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The Drou-Drou trade was great as a win now move. The moment we lost Radulov and Markov that trade looked awful. Sergachev was our Markov replacement.

You either go all in or you build for the future. The moment we lost Radulov we should have stepped back and built for the future.

Stupid trade

...no, it was never even a "not terrible" move...it was always, from the moment Bargain Bin got on the phone with Yzerman, a truly horrid move...period...

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Before the finals started TB were favored to win by a lot of people (and I mean a lot) because:
a) They beat better teams to get there
b) They're back to back cup winners and have been dominating the league for years
c) They have way more experience than Colorado
d) They have the best goalie of all time in net according to some

They aren't underdogs in any way, shape or form and never were lol

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
Did you ever play in a competitive sport? They will all tell you that silver medal is by far the worst. Losing 3 times in a row is never easy in a long playoff run.
Well, I agree thst that is a bitter pill to swallow, especially 3 times (if it turns out to be 3x which is still an open question). However, I was thinking of people like Weber, who made it to the Finals twice but never won, and players like Mike Smith who have been in the league forever and never even played in the Finals. At the end of their careers they will not have won even one Stanley Cup. And who knows, will McDavid and Matthews, also very competitive guys, get to play in a Finals even once? They probably envy Perry’s Cup, plus 3 more kicks at the can.

(And yes I have played competitive sports (university varsity) and coached a youth team to a state championship.)

• Love

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Well, I agree thst that is a bitter pill to swallow, especially 3 times (if it turns out to be 3x which is still an open question). However, I was thinking of people like Weber, who made it to the Finals twice but never won, and players like Mike Smith who have been in the league forever and never even played in the Finals. At the end of their careers they will not have won even one Stanley Cup. And who knows, will McDavid and Matthews, also very competitive guys, get to play in a Finals even once? They probably envy Perry’s Cup, plus 3 more kicks at the can.

(And yes I have played competitive sports (university varsity) and coached a youth team to a state championship.)

Yeah, there are tons of great players who never once made it to the finals. Still though, in a way there is a certain pain that comes with coming close and losing. I suppose both things suck in their own ways.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Right, Cedric Paquette is still in the league... lol.
the-point-over-your-head.gif

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
...no, it was never even a "not terrible" move...it was always, from the moment Bargain Bin got on the phone with Yzerman, a truly horrid move...period...

With hindsight sure…but Drou-Drou definitely had value back in the days. However the trade made little sense once we lost Radulov and Markov. A top 2 D like Sergachev was exactly what we needed for the future and we just let him go.

Again poor vision by the idiot GM.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Drouin's career was derailed by injuries and personal stuff and so on.

Is this on Bergevin? What a joke...

Do you know that before the trade TBay WANTED to trade Drouin. He was the odd man out to help the salary cap. They had to get rid of him. So not only we helped them doing it but we gave them a young upcoming top 3 d-man. That's the joke.

Just wondering...are you the same guy who doesn't want to play the hindsight game? But that in the end to excuse your beloved Bergevin, you say that finally it's not his fault cause Drouin's career was derailed by injuries and personal stuff? Isn't that...hindsight?

As PROFESSIONNALS, you need to know in advance if a guy has the backbone to play in your environment. CLEARLY the whole personal stuff is DIRECTLY related to the pressure he can't take for playing here. But then...who would have known that he wouldn't be able to take the pressure to play in Montreal...a guy chosen top 3, a Quebecer, traded for an up and coming top 10 pick, while not being surrounded in Montreal by a lot of Quebecers to share the local pressure.

Who would have thought.....lollll. In the end, NOT IN HINDSIGHT, if has an organization you are not going to be able to fill a need while trying to fill another, you don't do the deal. Period.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Well, whether we liked the trade or not, it's done now, and we can't change it. But Bergevin is gone. So let's see what the future holds.

Reactions: LV426

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Do you know that before the trade TBay WANTED to trade Drouin. He was the odd man out to help the salary cap. They had to get rid of him. So not only we helped them doing it but we gave them a young upcoming top 3 d-man. That's the joke.

Just wondering...are you the same guy who doesn't want to play the hindsight game? But that in the end to excuse your beloved Bergevin, you say that finally it's not his fault cause Drouin's career was derailed by injuries and personal stuff? Isn't that...hindsight?

As PROFESSIONNALS, you need to know in advance if a guy has the backbone to play in your environment. CLEARLY the whole personal stuff is DIRECTLY related to the pressure he can't take for playing here. But then...who would have known that he wouldn't be able to take the pressure to play in Montreal...a guy chosen top 3, a Quebecer, traded for an up and coming top 10 pick, while not being surrounded in Montreal by a lot of Quebecers to share the local pressure.

Who would have thought.....lollll. In the end, NOT IN HINDSIGHT, if has an organization you are not going to be able to fill a need while trying to fill another, you don't do the deal. Period.
Amazing text, a lot of water!

Next time please try and be more concise.
Just say I hate Marc Bergevin next time and it's done.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sergachev would be our best dman. I find it funny people downplay his ability and quality whenever it suits their fancy — to defend the disaster Drouin trade and to imply he wasn’t a big loss because our other Russian is just as good meanwhile Sergachev will finish this season as one of the most experienced and successful players in the NHL. He’s just today turned 24.

Some people claim Romanov is currently a core player, to be a central part of any future Cup campaign. If that’s the case then Sergachev would be our Larry Robinson.

I’m rooting for him.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sergachev would be our best dman. I find it funny people downplay his ability and quality whenever it suits their fancy — to defend the disaster Drouin trade and to imply he wasn’t a big loss because our other Russian is just as good meanwhile Sergachev will finish this season as one of the most experienced and successful players in the NHL. He’s just today turned 24.

Some people claim Romanov is currently a core player, to be a central part of any future Cup campaign. If that’s the case then Sergachev would be our Larry Robinson.

I’m rooting for him.
What's the point of this post?

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

I’m rooting for him.

Yup.

Some are delusional enough to downplay Sergachev as if he isn't that good...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I would not be surprised if Tampa wins this series.
Colorado will lose game 6 and in a game 7 there isn't a better goalie than #88

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We had no one on LD and we just drafted one of the best D prospects in the world, it was incredibly dumb if you ask me.
Many Habs fans were cautiously optimistic after that sudden trade because of Drouin's pre-draft hype and bonafides and the fact that it looked like Bergevin was all-in on "Win Now".

So within the stated and expected context (Weber acquisition, Price extension, Radulov) it was a cautiously accepted trade by a majority of the fans... but as soon as the context turned out to be false/wrong the context changed and the trade turned sour. Because even if Drouin had become a 70-pt player for the Habs, the Habs had massive holes especially on D.

And then came Alzner, Streit, and Hemsky.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Many Habs fans were cautiously optimistic after that sudden trade because of Drouin's pre-draft hype and bonafides and the fact that it looked like Bergevin was all-in on "Win Now".

So within the stated and expected context (Weber acquisition, Price extension, Radulov) it was a cautiously accepted trade by a majority of the fans... but as soon as the context turned out to be false/wrong the context changed and the trade turned sour. Because even if Drouin had become a 70-pt player for the Habs, the Habs had massive holes especially on D.

We drafted Sergachev to address a need, he had the potential to be a number one defenceman and then we traded him to Tampa for a player they wanted to get rid of for several reasons. If Drouin had been an up-and-coming D-man it would have made sense, a local kid that could step in and play right away on a team that desperately needed it. It was more of a PR move than anything else and was made worse by the contract and the idea that JD could play center. It was another throw shit at a wall move from MB, God damn he was a moron.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Well many fans, especially the more casual ones were good with it because MB got the high skill young Quebecois. And of course the media pumped out positive thoughts on the trade.

People with a clue were concerned about the D with high potential for skilled winger trade, especially for a guy with a couple of episodes ( Tampa, but also with the Halifax Mooseheads) of questionable character. Of course MB never valued skilled D as much as he should have.

Bad trade then, and it just keeps getting worse. Drouin is still getting " maybe next season " comments and if he heats up maybe he gets us a 2nd at the TDL. Sergachev is looking like a top pair D, think what he would get in a trade.

Reactions: ReHabs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We had no one on LD and we just drafted one of the best D prospects in the world, it was incredibly dumb if you ask me.
I was pissed because I had Sergachev pre-draft and was looking forward to Markov mentoring him here in Montreal. There is absolutely no defending one of the worst off seasons in the history of this club. I laugh when I think back to the Therrien years when a handful of us were very critical of the soft underbelly of the beast. Memes of pyramids with huge cracks in it's foundation held together by Polyfilla. I think it was wethreekings who posted that one. The same tired old arguments with the same group of posters about the same issues that never left us under Bergevin. And yet there is still a strong under-current of deniability after all we've been through with a number of historic lows. I never liked Kool-aid. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad