Prospect Info: 2022 Rookie Camp

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This is part of camp for him lol
Not like he will Crosby it up or anything in the main camp, but this is just to get his legs moving. He is not even releasing his shot with the power he usally does. To me, its obvious he is holding it back

Tracey a pleasant surprise for me. Showing off some play driving

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not like he will Crosby it up or anything in the main camp, but this is just to get his legs moving. He is not even releasing his shot with the power he usally does. To me, its obvious he is holding it back
If that's the case I have an even bigger problem with it. I'm a big fan of players that step on the ice and try their hardest regardless of situation or setting. It's the reason why I love Brayden Point so much & the reason I gave Comtois so much shit last season. If you're a young player in the NHL you should be playing your ass off no questions asked. I usually dislike anyone that shows entitlement.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If that's the case I have an even bigger problem with it. I'm a big fan of players that step on the ice and try their hardest regardless of situation or setting. It's the reason why I love Brayden Point so much.
This is his lowest competition tournament of the 3 tournaments in the past 3 monthsm i would not read that much into it.

That being said, he does have tendencies to float around, in every tournament/league I have seen him play. That's why he will probably mever be a line driver

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah the "big, physical, Kesler-type" as he was advertised is pretty much the opposite of what he is, lol. And it was the reason I was so frustrated about him, I guess, because my expectations were not living up.

Took me a while to realise he was a completely different player than that.
To me, he showed in Memorial Cup and WJC that he can be very dangerous, but that style of play will most likely take him time to flourish int he NHL. And he has his flaws.

But still I would take Memorial Cup amd WJC performance over this tournament. And there he was considerably better, just finding ways to impact the game
Even in that tournament he def was pretty streaky.... like half the time i watched canada he wasnt impressive.... hes kinda lightning in a bottle i guess... 1 shot potential.

I still would have rather gone eklund hughes or edvinsson

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I'm really starting to think the scouts that said Mintyukov was good defensively but was relied on to play high risk in the OHL were correct over the guys that didn't like his risk taking. The guy isn't being super aggressive offensively but he's been our best defensive player in this tournament. A very good stick and he's excellent at moving the puck up ice quickly after breaking up play.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This is his lowest competition tournament of the 3 tournaments in the past 3 monthsm i would not read that much into it.

That being said, he does have tendencies to float around, in every tournament/league I have seen him play. That's why he will probably mever be a line driver
Every game he plays moving forward should be his most important.

I'm really starting to think the scouts that said Mintyukov was good defensively but was relied on to play high risk in the OHL were correct over the guys that didn't like his risk taking. The guy isn't being super aggressive offensively but he's been our best defensive player in this tournament. A very good stick and he's excellent at moving the puck up ice quickly after breaking up play.
He's impressed me a lot on both sides.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Even in that tournament he def was pretty streaky.... like half the time i watched canada he wasnt impressive.... hes kinda lightning in a bottle i guess... 1 shot potential.

I still would have rather gone eklund hughes or edvinsson
That is true. So far he is finding the way against his peers and I like he is not a one trick pony.

Hughes amd Edvinsson def wouldn't been bad picks there. About Eklund not sure, he plays like Zegras but at lower level

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Is this really a competition tournament or just an exhibition/scrimmage for the medley of young prospects to be introduced to their drafting team? I remember last year's rookie tourney where the most exciting game was game 1 with McTavish on it. The rest of the games were boring despite having both Zegras and Drysdale in the lineup. Zegras and Drysdale already had been in the AHL and played 24 NHL games going into last year's tourney. It was McTavish's first time last year and he did make a huge impression in that first game before getting injured.

While I don't like we didn't get Mayhem McTavish, maybe we're putting far too much stock in these rookie exhibitions, especially when recalling last year's rookie tourney games 2 and 3.

We'll find out shortly at training camp. The first pre-season game is six days away.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I’m kind of glad this camp is tempering people’s expectations on some of these guys. There were people saying Zellweger had a great chance of being better than Drysdale a couple weeks ago.

Not saying something like that is impossible but seems pretty unlikely to me. Can still be a very good player
As someone who watched dozens of his games last year in Everett this tournament has done nothing to make me change my tune on him being potentially being as good or better than Drysdale, his one lame-ish tournament game is clearly the outlier at this point.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Least entertaining prospect tourney I’ve seen so far imo. Most encouraging sign was Tracey consistently seemed like one of our best players. Disappointing that McTavish was so meh.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think a lot of the guys still need some more play time, but I seriously feel Zell was our best player all tournament and is making management think hard.

I don't get that feeling about Zell making mgmt think hard. Both he and McT were huge letdowns for what I was expecting out of them, especially after their WJC-20 performances. Maybe I need to remind myself this is an exhibition than a tournament.

The ones who stood out the most, imo, were Hinds and Tracey. Both of them have been at this rookie tourney before and didn't prevent either one from showing up (ahem McT and Zell).

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Would it be fair for me to say that it is very much situational in that both McTavish and Zellweger know they are going to Preseason so they held back a little whereas a lot of other players are just fighting for a spot?

Thats kind of my thinking. Some kids are using this tourney to get the legs moving, while others are trying to showcase.

Im not reading much into it for the guys we know are going to camp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Would it be fair for me to say that it is very much situational in that both McTavish and Zellweger know they are going to Preseason so they held back a little whereas a lot of other players are just fighting for a spot?

When I recall last year's rookie tourney, Zegras and Drysdale didn't dominate the games. So it might be fair when using that context. But it looks bad when others did show up at this tourney.

For this rookie tourney, they aren't fighting for a spot. It's more of a meet-and-greet-and scrimmage. They only had one official practice day before the tournament started. We also are missing a lot of our prospects b/c they're in college right now.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It’s a likely explanation. I think the discussion is whether that is ok, or if it is instead a sign that they’ll pull a Comtois at some point.

Reactions: Duck Off

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
L mentality. Zellweger was playing his ass off though he was all over the ice.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
It’s a likely explanation. I think the discussion is whether that is ok, or if it is instead a sign that they’ll pull a Comtois at some point.

It's also possible there is a directive from management or the staff to use this tournament as an opportunity to prepare for training camp.

I don't really see this tournament as anything more than a marketing tool to build hype for young players throughout the league.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It makes sense that since the best part of this franchise is its young core and prospects that we probably put an undo amount of pressure on just being entertained by them.

But, for me at least, the disappointment I felt for these three games was just from my lack of entertainment, not any sort of actual meaning derived from what were essentially glorified scrimmages.

Last edited:

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
It's also possible there is a directive from management or the staff to use this tournament as an opportunity to prepare for training camp.

I don't really see this tournament as anything more than a marketing tool to build hype for young players throughout the league.
If management directed him to coast and play half ass why even put him in the tournament? Seems like we are trying to find excuses lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad