Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season VI - RED SOX 7-6 IN SEPTEMBER (70-74) - Competition Committee Approves Sweeping Rule Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
When they need him with two outs or in the clutch, he is garbage. His power is obviously declining which suggests his bat speed is declining. His fielding has never been strong. Two years ago, it was an atrocity. This year he stabilized it, and it was just slightly below average. Decline

Again he had wrist problems and shoulder problems mid season after colliding into Verdugo and has since bounced back now that he is healthy. Also...not every player on the roster needs to be...aiming for the fence? I know, I know I'm one of those weirdos who thinks baseball doesn't have to be three true outcomes, but Bogaerts is a great contact hitter and he has shown that recently since he's recovered from his injuries that he is a good contact hitter and has finally started to drive in runs. You know...what other great solid contact hitters have always done in the past like Jeter and Ichiro? Also...I have to laugh about the defense part because Bogaerts defense may not be "elite" but is a lot better than people want to give him credit for. Now if you want someone who swings from his ass and gets x amount of dingers a year while hitting at the Mendoza line because that's what's fashionable, then fine. Me? I like five tool ball players and that's what Xander Bogaerts is and it would be a mistake to not pay him for his service to this team and the kind of top 5 shortstop that he is. It would also, mind you, send the wrong message to Devers and every other player in the locker room and further alienate them from management, which Bloom can't afford if he values his job. In fact I could forsee the Red Sox, should Bloom botch this and make Bogaerts as well as Devers leave, throw away next season on purpose just so that Bloom gets fired.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Also...I have to laugh about the defense part because Bogaerts defense may not be "elite" but is a lot better than people want to give him credit for.
His lack of range has been a real issue. He does well with the balls that he can get to.

There just aren't many 6-2, 215 lb players that can play SS into their mid-30s. Jeter did it... poorly. There's a real risk that mid-way through his next contract, he won't be physically capable of playing the position at an acceptable Major League level. And should that come to pass, I'm not sure where else he would fit in.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think we are gonna see German and will wonder why him and Kelly weren’t on the roster over the AAAA fodder we’ve had at points this season

Don’t underestimate how great that trade was by Bloom- they acquired a useful reliever and a live arm from the Yankees for nothing. Ottavino was solid here and now German has made it up to the show. If he proves to be MLB caliber then we took 6 years of a pitcher with a big arm away from the Yankees for absolutely nothing

Reactions: Mione134

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Again he had wrist problems and shoulder problems mid season after colliding into Verdugo and has since bounced back now that he is healthy. Also...not every player on the roster needs to be...aiming for the fence? I know, I know I'm one of those weirdos who thinks baseball doesn't have to be three true outcomes, but Bogaerts is a great contact hitter and he has shown that recently since he's recovered from his injuries that he is a good contact hitter and has finally started to drive in runs. You know...what other great solid contact hitters have always done in the past like Jeter and Ichiro? Also...I have to laugh about the defense part because Bogaerts defense may not be "elite" but is a lot better than people want to give him credit for. Now if you want someone who swings from his ass and gets x amount of dingers a year while hitting at the Mendoza line because that's what's fashionable, then fine. Me? I like five tool ball players and that's what Xander Bogaerts is and it would be a mistake to not pay him for his service to this team and the kind of top 5 shortstop that he is. It would also, mind you, send the wrong message to Devers and every other player in the locker room and further alienate them from management, which Bloom can't afford if he values his job. In fact I could forsee the Red Sox, should Bloom botch this and make Bogaerts as well as Devers leave, throw away next season on purpose just so that Bloom gets fired.

So Bogaerts is only affected by the injuries when he's up in a clutch spot?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
So Bogaerts is only affected by the injuries when he's up in a clutch spot?

:rolleyes:

I mean if you want to play that game, let's look at the numbers compared to the clear hired replacement for Bogaerts in Trevor Story who as also been plagued with injuries and everyone says is "a lot better than he is showing" shall we?

Bogaerts: .315/.382/.470, OPS .852, K% 19.5%, BABIP .375, wRC+ 139 (second highest in his career), WAR 5.8 (second highest in his career), Defensive RTG 7.9, Offensive RTG 29.7 (second highest of his career), FLD% .981, UzR 4.6

Story: .238/.303/.434, OPS .737, K% 30.8, BABIP .309, wRC+ 101 (third lowest of his career), WAR 2.4 (third lowest of his career), Defensive RTG 7.2, Offensive RTG 3.2 (second lowest of his career), FLD% .984, UzR -1.2

Gee for a guy who's supposedly a liability with the glove and not a clutch hitter, Bogaerts is certainly putting up a lot better numbers in statistics that matter a lot to the analytics guys who want to bemoan and devalue him in spite of those injuries eh? Hmmmmmmmmm.....really makes you think. I-it really gets your noggin joggin don't it?

For the people who still want to argue that "Bogaerts is falling off the wagon! He's not worth $30 million because I drank the Fenway Park kool aid they always pass around when they want to show someone the door," this is how I will respond from now on:

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Surprised they DFAd Plawecki. Bloom continues to make stupid, basic mistakes because of money.
KP is a good catcher and decent hitter having an inexplicably terrible year. He isn't old and he has a decent pedigree.
Wong is not a good hitter and baseball has practically no good catchers. However, Bloom is going to Bloom. Go ahead and get Sean Murphy if you can. I do not think he can hit, but he's had a very good second half at least.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Surprised they DFAd Plawecki. Bloom continues to make stupid, basic mistakes because of money.
KP is a good catcher and decent hitter having an inexplicably terrible year. He isn't old and he has a decent pedigree.
Wong is not a good hitter and baseball has practically no good catchers. However, Bloom is going to Bloom. Go ahead and get Sean Murphy if you can. I do not think he can hit, but he's had a very good second half at least.

Bet you Plawecki gets a contract in either Japan or Korea for next season because MLB hates contact hitters.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
:rolleyes:

I mean if you want to play that game, let's look at the numbers compared to the clear hired replacement for Bogaerts in Trevor Story who as also been plagued with injuries and everyone says is "a lot better than he is showing" shall we?

Bogaerts: .315/.382/.470, OPS .852, K% 19.5%, BABIP .375, wRC+ 139 (second highest in his career), WAR 5.8 (second highest in his career), Defensive RTG 7.9, Offensive RTG 29.7 (second highest of his career), FLD% .981, UzR 4.6

Story: .238/.303/.434, OPS .737, K% 30.8, BABIP .309, wRC+ 101 (third lowest of his career), WAR 2.4 (third lowest of his career), Defensive RTG 7.2, Offensive RTG 3.2 (second lowest of his career), FLD% .984, UzR -1.2

Gee for a guy who's supposedly a liability with the glove and not a clutch hitter, Bogaerts is certainly putting up a lot better numbers in statistics that matter a lot to the analytics guys who want to bemoan and devalue him in spite of those injuries eh? Hmmmmmmmmm.....really makes you think. I-it really gets your noggin joggin don't it?

For the people who still want to argue that "Bogaerts is falling off the wagon! He's not worth $30 million because I drank the Fenway Park kool aid they always pass around when they want to show someone the door," this is how I will respond from now on:

Play what game?

I've not mentioned any comparison to Story. Agree he's been bad this season.

Here is what John Tomase said earlier this week about Bogaerts, who he sees play every day:

"Anyone paying attention knows that Bogaerts hasn't had a great year by his standards. He might only hit 15 homers, he's batting just .182 with two outs and runners in scoring position, and his disappearing act for about a month between July and August coincided with the Red Sox falling hopelessly out of contention."

No mention of an injury at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad