Red Sox/MLB 2022 REGULAR SEASON II - THE RED SOX ARE OVER .500 (34-29) - GET THE DUCKBOATS READY!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Something strange is going on with Eduardo Rodriguez in Detroit. He’s on the restricted list now. Bloom looking pretty smart going after Rich Hill and Michael Wacha instead of giving him a big contract, which I would have been willing to do

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Something strange is going on with Eduardo Rodriguez in Detroit. He’s on the restricted list now. Bloom looking pretty smart going after Rich Hill and Michael Wacha instead of giving him a big contract, which I would have been willing to do

Bloom is a smart GM. It’s such a shame he got labeled by the hot take group as some analytic know-it-all, nerd who is only here to make the owners money.

He has Boston on the right track of consistent contending like the Dodgers.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I feel so old right now.

Want to feel really old? Not only is Andruw Jones' son, Druw, the #1 prospect for the draft this year, but Matt Holliday also has a son who's a top 5 draft prospect and he looks like he's 12 years old.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thought I saw a glimpse of Giant-head Bonds after Devers hit that ball out to left. What kind of non-alien can do that?

Clemente's ability to hit bad balls was indeed incredible. And he stood nowhere near the plate in the batter box. Manny Sanguillen, Vlad Sr. and Yogi were also in that category of remarkable bad-ball hitters.
Maybe because it was a rare thing certainly compared to today but to watch a Pirates game maybe once a month on the Saturday game of week and see Clemente, Stargell, Ssnguillen, Oliver, Matty Alou group was Like baseball Christmas

I love I can find any game any at bat pitch sequence in a flash but there is something about anticipation and joy of those days

Not complaining but just glad I was there for them

Want to feel really old? Not only is Andruw Jones' son, Druw, the #1 prospect for the draft this year, but Matt Holliday also has a son who's a top 5 draft prospect and he looks like he's 12 years old.
Ha ha

I remember when Danny Tartabull showed up years ago and I was ‘wow do I feel old’ his dad was on the 67 Sox and Danny now has been retired for years

Reactions: sarge88

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Maybe because it was a rare thing certainly compared to today but to watch a Pirates game maybe once a month on the Saturday game of week and see Clemente, Stargell, Ssnguillen, Oliver, Matty Alou group was Like baseball Christmas

I love I can find any game any at bat pitch sequence in a flash but there is something about anticipation and joy of those days

Ha ha

I remember when Danny Tartabull showed up years ago and I was ‘wow do I feel old’ his dad was on the 67 Sox and Danny now has been retired for years

Got to see the Pirates in 1966 at Shea Stadium. Stargell hit a rope to right field for a homer in the first inning. A couple of innings later Don Clendenon hit a moon shot HR to left. Both very impressive. But Mets came back to win 8-7. Very memorable game as it was the first night game I had seen.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Bloom is a smart GM. It’s such a shame he got labeled by the hot take group as some analytic know-it-all, nerd who is only here to make the owners money.

He has Boston on the right track of consistent contending like the Dodgers.
Only complaint with him this season is the lack of a solid closing option in the pen.

Sox would be close to a 40 win team if they had anyone reliable.

He's replenished the farm which was priority #1, and has made them competitive.

Absolutely needs to get Xander and Devers signed long term though.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Only complaint with him this season is the lack of a solid closing option in the pen.

Sox would be close to a 40 win team if they had anyone reliable.

He's replenished the farm which was priority #1, and has made them competitive.

Absolutely needs to get Xander and Devers signed long term though.

I am 100% in agreement with you on Devers. He’s young. He’s a superstar. Lock him up. To not be the Rays and to be the Dodgers, you need to lock up your stars. He’s one to move forward with. He wants to be here too. It’s a no brainer. Back up the Brinks as @CDJ says.

On Xander? I’m in the camp that losing Bogaerts for a comp pick would be unacceptable. So he’s either re-signed longterm OR he’s dealt for a healthy package that continues to build the farm up.

However: you weaken your team this year. So what do you do. It’s a hard one. I just do not want to lose him for a comp pick. The Sox aren’t there yet to be doing that… for a player on Bogaerts caliber.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
In my heart I say yes absolutely sign Bogaerts

In my brain I know this:

Is a bad sign for somebody who is gonna have to move off of SS, presumably to LF. Id still probably give him good money knowing the backend will probably suck but he can’t be at SS for much longer and I wouldn’t pay him like an elite SS because of that

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Got to see the Pirates in 1966 at Shea Stadium. Stargell hit a rope to right field for a homer in the first inning. A couple of innings later Don Clendenon hit a moon shot HR to left. Both very impressive. But Mets came back to win 8-7. Very memorable game as it was the first night game I had seen.
I had 15 Don Clendenon 1968 Topps cards - he was a heck of a hitter and played for Expos

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
1b is a disgrace, that he had two years to fix. And by fix, I am talking low-rent guys like Cooper etc. RF is very bad, and the bullpen is bad. Bloom traded Betts for Verdugo, Benintendi for five b prospects, including Franchy and traded Moreland for nothing. Worst of all he has our three best hitters lined up to leave with only Cassas in the pipeline/high minors But of course he gets a pass because we are on an 8000 year plan.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I had 15 Don Clendenon 1968 Topps cards - he was a heck of a hitter and played for Expos
Interesting fact about Donn Clendenon: he was selected by Montreal in the 1968 Expansion Draft from Pittsburgh and before he ever played a game for the Expos he was traded to Houston as part of the deal for Rusty Staub. However Clendenon refused to report to Houston so Montreal had to rework the trade to satisfy Houston. I think Montreal might have held a grudge against him because after less than 50 games with Montreal they traded him to the Mets.

And here's a strange twist - thinking that the deal with Houston would go through Topps actually put out 2 different versions of Donn Clendenon's 1969 card:

Clendenon-1969-650x458.jpg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Ha ha

How do you feel about Carl Yastrzemski having a grandson playing in the majors right now?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I used to like it when Topps did stuff like this. (Did you know there is a Lemaire Sabres card, because they almost traded he and a pick for Perrault?) There are also Washington Padres cards from a time they almost moved in the early seventies. There are only like nine of them though. Kind of the Holy Grail of baseball card collecting. Edit: not as rare as I thought.
1655246276679.png

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting fact about Donn Clendenon: he was selected by Montreal in the 1968 Expansion Draft from Pittsburgh and before he ever played a game for the Expos he was traded to Houston as part of the deal for Rusty Staub. However Clendenon refused to report to Houston so Montreal had to rework the trade to satisfy Houston. I think Montreal might have held a grudge against him because after less than 50 games with Montreal they traded him to the Mets.

And here's a strange twist - thinking that the deal with Houston would go through Topps actually put out 2 different versions of Donn Clendenon's 1969 card:

Clendenon-1969-650x458.jpg
Wow thanks that is fantastic stuff - was he the first basemen on Miracle Mets ? I remember Cleon Jones, Kranpool, Swaboda, Garrett, Harrelson….was Tommy Agee in CF ?

I remember you those Astros with Don Wilson, Jimmy Wynn, Joe Morgan

I had a zillion Doug Rader & Roger Metzger cards

Wilson threw a no hitter and had amazing stuff and I believe killed himself ? Or Left car running in garage

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I used to like it when Topps did stuff like this. (Did you know there is a Lemaire Sabres card, because they almost traded he and a pick for Perrault?)
I've never heard the part about Perreault but the story I heard is this - just before the Topps and OPC put out their 1975 card set they heard that Jacques Lemaire was on his way to Buffalo so they scrambled to make sure his card showed him in Buffalo colours. They did their usual crappy paint brush job and the final result was this:

in-the-cards-jacques-lemaires-pre-emptive-sabres-card.webp

The funny thing is that the rumour they heard was just slightly off - it was actually Jacques Richard that ended up going from Atlanta to Buffalo. :laugh:

Here's the story about the card from The Hockey News:

Trading card companies have made plenty of errors on hockey cards in the past. Sometimes, they might misspell a player's name, print an incorrect stat or even use a photo of a teammate by mistake. But this gaffe from 40 years ago may trump them all. In the hockey card sets issued by Topps and O-Pee-Chee during the 1974-75 season, Montreal Canadiens center Jacques Lemaire is erroneously pictured as a member of the Buffalo Sabres -- a team he never played for. A close-up photo had been doctored, with Sabres colors painted over Lemaire's Canadiens jersey. According to the Hockey Hall of Fame website, it was speculated that Lemaire was going to be dealt to the Sabres, so the card companies responded in kind, albeit a bit prematurely.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Wow thanks that is fantastic stuff - was he the first basemen on Miracle Mets ? I remember Cleon Jones, Kranpool, Swaboda, Garrett, Harrelson….was Tommy Agee in CF ?
According to the Sports Reference site in the 1969 season for the Mets Clendenon played 58 games at 1B, 1 game in LF and another that is just listed as OF. The next 2 seasons he played 172 games at 1B and another 37 as a PH for the Mets.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
1b is a disgrace, that he had two years to fix. And by fix, I am talking low-rent guys like Cooper etc. RF is very bad, and the bullpen is bad. Bloom traded Betts for Verdugo, Benintendi for five b prospects, including Franchy and traded Moreland for nothing. Worst of all he has our three best hitters lined up to leave with only Cassas in the pipeline/high minors But of course he gets a pass because we are on an 8000 year plan.

He gets a pass because he’s been a good GM, who has had ONE bad shortened season.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Lol I know

I was at his last game October 1 1983 got the program and poster still - to lazy but I’ll take a picture tomorrow if I remember
I was there, too. Met John Havlicek on the way out and he signed my ticket stub. Have my Yaz Day poster, my Ted Williams/Joe Cronin number retirement poster - Sox used to do nice things like that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
According to the Sports Reference site in the 1969 season for the Mets Clendenon played 58 games at 1B, 1 game in LF and another that is just listed as OF. The next 2 seasons he played 172 games at 1B and another 37 as a PH for the Mets.

Clendenon was the MVP of the World Series for the Miracle Mets with 3 dingers in 4 games.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I like Refsnyder. Not young at all so not expecting anything more than what they’re getting but he’s fun to watch. The amazing catch helped too haha

And a Raffi bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad