Patriots/NFL 2022 Preseason - Final Cuts August 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I've always loathed John Elway and the Donkeys, so everything dumb he/they do gives me great joy. I like Wilson, but Denver is paying him for what he did as a Seahawk, not what he's going to do for them, and I couldn't be happier. To paraphrase @Jean_Jacket41 - "2016 forever!"
I think you are looking at this from a Patriots and sabermetric perspective not a football one. While there is some evidence Wilson is declining, he is excellent and has a long way to drop. Two years of contention is worth the rest of the contract. Besides, this is the NFL, where players/salaries are utterly disposable.

Btw I cannot stand Elway either. He strikes me as a hard living, dim, arrogant ex-jock who has been gifted his position.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I think you are looking at this from a Patriots and sabermetric perspective not a football one. While there is some evidence Wilson is declining, he is excellent and has a long way to drop. Two years of contention is worth the rest of the contract. Besides, this is the NFL, where players/salaries are utterly disposable.

Btw I cannot stand Elway either. He strikes me as a hard living, dim, arrogant ex-jock who has been gifted his position.
Oh, I think Russell's still got plenty of gas in the tank, but they aren't going to contend in that division with that roster. I think KC, LV and LA are all better than them. It's not Wilson who I think is going to hold them back. I think paying him that salary is going to keep them from building a contending roster the next two years, which is what they had left on his contract when they got him. Giving the extension at this moment was the mistake - they had two years of him already.

Your take on Elway is pretty much spot-on, IMHO. Incredibly arrogant and nowhere near as bright as he sees himself. People see how full of himself the Hoodie is - I don't know if Bill's even in Elway's stratosphere.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Oh, I think Russell's still got plenty of gas in the tank, but they aren't going to contend in that division with that roster. I think KC, LV and LA are all better than them. It's not Wilson who I think is going to hold them back. I think paying him that salary is going to keep them from building a contending roster the next two years, which is what they had left on his contract when they got him. Giving the extension at this moment was the mistake - they had two years of him already.

Your take on Elway is pretty much spot-on, IMHO. Incredibly arrogant and nowhere near as bright as he sees himself. People see how full of himself the Hoodie is - I don't know if Bill's even in Elway's stratosphere.
I think they are close to contention already. They need help at RB, but they seem to find them. ...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
A lot of this is accurate too.

Just look recently when someone is hovering around a 25-30 game hitting streak. "DiMaggio watch" is on. Distinctly remember Luis Castillo getting some fanfare when he was at 30+ games in 2002.

At the end of the day, steroid era was exactly that, an era of the game. It was widespread, and shouldnt be erased/punished like it has been.
I absolutely agree. Many more did them than were ever caught,both before and after the peak era. Not a fan of punishing a few for the sins of many.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Josh can get stagnant and stubborn. Like the guy but he cab get on your nerves. Couldn't do anything about him leaving. It is what it is.

I just assumed O'Brien would come on staff but I guess he'll stay at Bama for another year
I agree,some of his play calling was maddeningly predictable,crossing over into stupid.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Btw,:help::help::help::help: after listening to my Dolphins new coach, take the Patriots this game one. Bet all your hf money. This guy sounds like he is 33 going on 20. I am not even sure he can match his socks in football terms. I already miss Flores. Between our head coach and your offensive coordinators, there juuust might be some bad coaching and turnovers. Just maybe.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Yeah, Elway is a shit. His dad was a bigshot college coach who happened to be an assistant under the guy who invented the spread offense so he got all the privileges of being ahead of the curve on that, put up huge offensive numbers at Stanford despite going .500 every year, pulled a Lindros on the Colts and pretty much doomed them to move out of Baltimore because he didn't like the coach, etc. Pretty much fell into his front office role because he was a franchise legend and they couldn't tell him no. Definite privileged rich jock bro.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Yeah, Elway is a shit. His dad was a bigshot college coach who happened to be an assistant under the guy who invented the spread offense so he got all the privileges of being ahead of the curve on that, put up huge offensive numbers at Stanford despite going .500 every year, pulled a Lindros on the Colts and pretty much doomed them to move out of Baltimore because he didn't like the coach, etc. Pretty much fell into his front office role because he was a franchise legend and they couldn't tell him no. Definite privileged rich jock bro.
I remember Jack Elway, the band game vs Cal was against the Elways. Did not know about the spread offense though. Thanks

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
remember the Broncos are not owned by the Bowlen Trust either

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
That is one Big Bang Clock

I have called it that in my head since arriving in London

Attachments

• ED1BF8D2-B4CD-4BB0-B176-A8D615FC81FC.jpeg
    ED1BF8D2-B4CD-4BB0-B176-A8D615FC81FC.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 2
  • Love
Reactions: CDJ

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
He was responsible for drafting von miller and getting manning to sign there when san fran were the early faves. Those two moves alone made his front office stint worth it.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Statistically, Manning was very bad except for turnovers. Miller and a few moves on the D, I give him.
Wait, what?!? Maybe in the sb year, but in the time he played for them he had the literal best statistical year for any qb in the league's history and another that wasn't far behind.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Peyton was pretty damn f***ing good for the broncos until he couldn’t feel his fingers anymore, no point in denying that

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
No, but Marcell Darrius was actually the favorite, easy pick and they had a HUGE need at DT that year. Patrick Peterson and von miller were 50/50 after that. Von was never the slam dunk pick for them.
Well I can't say now big of a favorite Darrius was but both Kiper and Mayock had VM to Denver in their mocks so it mustn't have been by much.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Well I can't say now big of a favorite Darrius was but both Kiper and Mayock had VM to Denver in their mocks so it mustn't have been by much.
Kiper had Peterson in early mocks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad