Prospect Info: 2022 Post-Deadline Devils-Centric Mock Draft 2.0 (thru NJ 2nd round)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm like an FC Hockey mock draft cheat code.

new-jersey-devils.svg

JIRICEK DAVID
RD
HC PLZEN
CZECHIA
CZE.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

PEREVALOV ALEXANDER
RW
LOKO YAROSLAVL
MHL
RUS.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

WARREN NOAH
RD
GATINEAU OLYMPIQUES
QMJHL
CAN.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

SCHAEFER REID
LW
SEATTLE THUNDERBIRDS
WHL
CAN.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

RINZEL SAM
RD
CHASKA HIGH
USHS-MN
USA.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

ARNSBY LIAM
C
NORTH BAY BATTALION
OHL
CAN.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

SEMINOFF MATTHEW
RW
KAMLOOPS BLAZERS
WHL
USA.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

PETROVSKY SERVAC
C/LW
OWEN SOUND ATTACK
OHL
SVK.svg

new-jersey-devils.svg

ZHIGALOV IVAN
G
SHERBROOKE PHOENIX
QMJL

That would be an amazing draft. No way it can be that good in real life.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Wright scored at a 77-pt pace as a 15/16 year old, missed an entire season, and scored at a 101 pt pace with good 2-way chops. His numbers blow other draft-eligible OHLers out of the water. He's got a cannon for a shot, plays center (right handed to boot), and has pretty solid size.

View attachment 539641

I have a hard time believing he's not the consensus 1OA.
His u16 season was undoubtedly great, no one will argue that, but his draft season is really not all that great. The last draft class that had a full season of play was 2020 and all of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Quinn, Perfetti and Jarvis all had better production in their respective Canadian junior leagues. I'd also argue that Savoie's numbers are more impressive than Wright's considering Savoie leads his WHL team in scoring while Wright was 2nd to Edmonds on his team. Svechnikov put up better numbers in his draft season, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick and Cody Glass put up similar PPG rates in the 2017 class, Same with DuBois in 2016, McDavid and Marner blow him out of the water in terms of CHL production while Meier was at least equal in production if not flat out better.

Wright's production is very good for a top 10 pick, but in no way is his production good for a player that's a consensus/unanimous #1 overall.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Steven! I really appreciate all your write ups. I was just curious about something you’ve suggested.

If the Devils won the lottery and had the first pick, your belief is that Fitz would most likely trade the pick. Do you believe Wright wouldn’t play left wing? He seems like he’d be a fantastic counterpart to Hughes.
Wright is a natural center, and his finest attributes are his IQ, lack of weakness and two-way play -- three qualities which all play up as a center. It would be a misuse of his talents to play Wright on the wing, and additionally it's likely he would be unhappy with the change in position.

The Devils best move if they win the lottery -- and it's just an 8.5% chance -- would be to auction the pick off to the highest bidding team in the top 5. Arizona would be the most likely "victim" -- they're absolutely desperate for a #1 center and for a "face of the franchise" type. The Coyotes could offer the #3 overall pick plus one of the late 1st rounders they own from Colorado and Carolina.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
His u16 season was undoubtedly great, no one will argue that, but his draft season is really not all that great. The last draft class that had a full season of play was 2020 and all of Lafreniere, Byfield, Rossi, Quinn, Perfetti and Jarvis all had better production in their respective Canadian junior leagues. I'd also argue that Savoie's numbers are more impressive than Wright's considering Savoie leads his WHL team in scoring while Wright was 2nd to Edmonds on his team. Svechnikov put up better numbers in his draft season, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick and Cody Glass put up similar PPG rates in the 2017 class, Same with DuBois in 2016, McDavid and Marner blow him out of the water in terms of CHL production while Meier was at least equal in production if not flat out better.

Wright's production is very good for a top 10 pick, but in no way is his production good for a player that's a consensus/unanimous #1 overall.
None of those other players missed an entire season of hockey. He's got double the production of his OHL peers.

Reactions: Guadana

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
None of those other players missed an entire season of hockey. He's got double the production of his OHL peers.
The players Wright is playing against also missed an entire season of hockey. Wyatt Johnston missed his draft season last year and came back this season to lead the entire OHL in scoring, so why isn't that missed development time hurting his production which went from 30 points in 53 games to 124 points in 68 games?

It's also weird to compare his production (which is not double of all his peers) solely to OHL draft eligible players considering this is an extremely weak draft class for the OHL. If you're only argument for Wright being a consensus #1 overall player in this class is that he's the best draft eligible prospect in a weak OHL class than that's not much of a convincing argument.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
The players Wright is playing against also missed an entire season of hockey. Wyatt Johnston missed his draft season last year and came back this season to lead the entire OHL in scoring, so why isn't that missed development time hurting his production which went from 30 points in 53 games to 124 points in 68 games?

It's also weird to compare his production (which is not double of all his peers) solely to OHL draft eligible players considering this is an extremely weak draft class for the OHL. If you're only argument for Wright being a consensus #1 overall player in this class is that he's the best draft eligible prospect in a weak OHL class than that's not much of a convincing argument.
A compelling argument that Wyatt Johnson should go first overall this year.

There's not a single scout who thinks Wright is ranked anything but 1OA.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The 2020 draft is a goods example of why we need to have some patience with prospects, even high-end ones. Jake Sanderson could wind up the best player in the class and has yet to play a game in the NHL. Quinton Byfield can wind up the best player in the draft and has 11 career points. Or how about Askarov?

As for Lafreniere, he's a LW who was drafted by a team which was ridiculously deep at LW. He's barely gotten PP time and has been shuffled all over the bottom 3 lines. I would not be shocked if he was traded this off-season for the center the Rangers sorely need. He's the classic change-of-scenery guy.
I don’t agree with that Lafreniere part at all. He isn’t a classic change of scenery guy at all. As a 1st overall pick who has played 2 seasons. A classic change-of-scenery-guy is a high-end prospect (not usually 1st overall) that has struggled to find his game in the NHL for 4+ years. Lafreniere getting traded 2 seasons after getting taken first overall for a change of scenery would be unheard of.

Trading him would be dumb and I think it’s highly unlikely they would do that unless they get blown away and he’s part of a huge deal. He’s shown some very nice flashes and done well when given more opportunity and It’s very likely he will breakout soon much like Jack did in his third season but maybe not to that extent.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

All that shows is just how all over the place production is and that there’s a lot more than production that’s goes in to scouting these players. His production seems to be the biggest knock you have against him but it’s still very good and better than a lot of other top prospects in past years despite him not playing a full season last year. He also had a slow start and picked it up a lot after that.

His production isn’t great for a #1 overall pick but it’s perfectly fine and his skillset and all round is very good and a big part of why he’s seen mostly as the consensus #1.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
You can just naively look at Wright's PPG stats (1.49) in the OHL and compare to the last few years for a sense of comparison

Draft eligible players with higher or close to his 1.49 PPG in 20 and 19:
- Marco Rossi (2.14)
- Quinton Byfield (1.82)
- Cole Perfetti (1.82)
- Jack Quinn (1.44)
- Arthur Kaliyev (1.52)
- Ryan Suzuki (1.15)

Certainly impressive crop of prospects if you just look at this data point, and Wright should be up at the top of most draft boards based on it, but it's not like he's blowing the doors off in terms of OHL production, and the primary reason he's No 1 seems to be C scarcity + high floor. Devils don't care about C scarcity really and going "off the board" if they get the no.1 pick should be under consideration I say if they can't find an acceptable trade. Some other teams might feel the same way, this is not a "you can't pass on this kid" scenario I don't think.

Reactions: Triumph

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don’t know fellas , I have a very very good feeling about the lotto.
I just have a weird feeling we are going to be picking 1 or 2.
Weird feeling plus I am willing it to happen.
No I’m not a new age weirdo that rubs crystals all over myself and chants in a room full of incense with Terot cards trying to talk to the hockey gods. I just have a feeling .

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I'd bet some money before even knowing who is drafting #1 and their specific organisational needs that he goes #1. That's not me saying the guy is a "can't miss pick" who will blow the doors off the NHL his rookie season, but my confidence based on all indications that he's the consensus first overall pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We should probably be talking more about RD Noah Warren. To me, he's the best RD who could conceivably fall to the 3rd round region, but he has the potential to be a physical, shut-down defender at the NHL level. Here's my write-up of him from a few months back:

RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL
Noah Warren is a prospect who makes my job here pretty easy, because he's a very simple player who is extremely effective in his strengths and does not attempt to be anything else. The Quebec native is 6'5-215 and routinely the strongest and most physical player on the ice. He skates well, and uses the combination of his wing-span, strength, high compete and high defensive awareness to make life literally hell for any opposing forwards daring to challenge him in the defensive zone. I've seen softer opposing forwards literally avoid the corners or crease whenever Warren is on the ice, I've seen them pull up and flutter weak, zero-percentage shots on net from bad positions to avoid challenging him. Warren is the big dog on the block, and he has no shortage of teeth to his game.

It's important to note that Warren is not just a power defender, he's also a smart one. He does not take dumb penalties, and he does not leave position to seek the big hit he is capable of. He is positionally strong and fundamentally sound. But he's also not a weapon in transition. If, once he attains possession, Warren does not see an immediate pass option, he does not like to handle the puck -- he'll prefer to just bang it up the boards and out of danger. Warren's biggest problem would lie in puckhandling, as he does not have good hands and he's strictly north/south in his mindset. He's usually the last man to enter the offensive zone, and he rarely activates from the point. Where Warren does offer some offensive capability is in his shot, which is a freaking bomb from the point. He'll accumulate points in whatever level he plays in simply by unleashing his cannon and scoring off rebounds, deflections, or just cleanly blowing pucks past goaltenders. That being said, the shot is the limit to Warren's offensive capability.

Noah Warren shows intriguing potential as a physical, shut-down, stay-at home defender for a future NHL bottom-4. His consensus ranking is usually found in the neighborhood of the late 3rd/early 4th round range, and the highest ranking I've seen for him is #45 overall (Craig Button), and later in the draft he certainly represents a value as a player of specific potential NHL value.

I don’t agree with that Lafreniere part at all. He isn’t a classic change of scenery guy at all. As a 1st overall pick who has played 2 seasons. A classic change-of-scenery-guy is a high-end prospect (not usually 1st overall) that has struggled to find his game in the NHL for 4+ years. Lafreniere getting traded 2 seasons after getting taken first overall for a change of scenery would be unheard of.

Trading him would be dumb and I think it’s highly unlikely they would do that unless they get blown away and he’s part of a huge deal. He’s shown some very nice flashes and done well when given more opportunity and It’s very likely he will breakout soon much like Jack did in his third season but maybe not to that extent.
From a lot of what I hear, the Rangers are going after Scheifele this off-season. I'm guessing Lafreniere would be the guy Winnipeg would want back.

My3Sons

Sponsor
We should probably be talking more about RD Noah Warren. To me, he's the best RD who could conceivably fall to the 3rd round region, but he has the potential to be a physical, shut-down defender at the NHL level. Here's my write-up of him from a few months back:

RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL
Noah Warren is a prospect who makes my job here pretty easy, because he's a very simple player who is extremely effective in his strengths and does not attempt to be anything else. The Quebec native is 6'5-215 and routinely the strongest and most physical player on the ice. He skates well, and uses the combination of his wing-span, strength, high compete and high defensive awareness to make life literally hell for any opposing forwards daring to challenge him in the defensive zone. I've seen softer opposing forwards literally avoid the corners or crease whenever Warren is on the ice, I've seen them pull up and flutter weak, zero-percentage shots on net from bad positions to avoid challenging him. Warren is the big dog on the block, and he has no shortage of teeth to his game.

It's important to note that Warren is not just a power defender, he's also a smart one. He does not take dumb penalties, and he does not leave position to seek the big hit he is capable of. He is positionally strong and fundamentally sound. But he's also not a weapon in transition. If, once he attains possession, Warren does not see an immediate pass option, he does not like to handle the puck -- he'll prefer to just bang it up the boards and out of danger. Warren's biggest problem would lie in puckhandling, as he does not have good hands and he's strictly north/south in his mindset. He's usually the last man to enter the offensive zone, and he rarely activates from the point. Where Warren does offer some offensive capability is in his shot, which is a freaking bomb from the point. He'll accumulate points in whatever level he plays in simply by unleashing his cannon and scoring off rebounds, deflections, or just cleanly blowing pucks past goaltenders. That being said, the shot is the limit to Warren's offensive capability.

Noah Warren shows intriguing potential as a physical, shut-down, stay-at home defender for a future NHL bottom-4. His consensus ranking is usually found in the neighborhood of the late 3rd/early 4th round range, and the highest ranking I've seen for him is #45 overall (Craig Button), and later in the draft he certainly represents a value as a player of specific potential NHL value.

From a lot of what I hear, the Rangers are going after Scheifele this off-season. I'm guessing Lafreniere would be the guy Winnipeg would want back.
I'd take a bigger stronger right handed Siegenthaler style of defender on the team right now.

Reactions: Eggtimer

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah I’m not too keen on Slafkovsky the more clips I see and read about him. There’s no denying he brings something the Devils are missing as far as a forward actually using their size and reach with offensive skill, but he seems very “toolsy.” He’s big, lumbering, and not particular fast. Context considered or not, his lack of production is also concerning. I know he’s ridden a bit of a hype train since the Olympics, but other than that, the production isn’t there yet.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I’m not too keen on Slafkovsky the more clips I see and read about him. There’s no denying he brings something the Devils are missing as far as a forward actually using their size and reach with offensive skill, but he seems very “toolsy.” He’s big, lumbering, and not particular fast. Context considered or not, his lack of production is also concerning. I know he’s ridden a bit of a hype train since the Olympics, but other than that, the production isn’t there yet.
D0492DAB-F3C2-4781-8A4C-4B382420857E.jpeg

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You can just naively look at Wright's PPG stats (1.49) in the OHL and compare to the last few years for a sense of comparison

Draft eligible players with higher or close to his 1.49 PPG in 20 and 19:
- Marco Rossi (2.14)
- Quinton Byfield (1.82)
- Cole Perfetti (1.82)
- Jack Quinn (1.44)
- Arthur Kaliyev (1.52)
- Ryan Suzuki (1.15)

Certainly impressive crop of prospects if you just look at this data point, and Wright should be up at the top of most draft boards based on it, but it's not like he's blowing the doors off in terms of OHL production, and the primary reason he's No 1 seems to be C scarcity + high floor. Devils don't care about C scarcity really and going "off the board" if they get the no.1 pick should be under consideration I say if they can't find an acceptable trade. Some other teams might feel the same way, this is not a "you can't pass on this kid" scenario I don't think.
I don't Wright is the consensus #1. This to me is more of a Nico type of possible 1OA. I don't think he'll be a superstar but he'll be a very good player. Now if we hit the lottery NEXT year... bring a change of clothes because Bedard is going to be a superstar.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don't Wright is the consensus #1. This to me is more of a Nico type of possible 1OA. I don't think he'll be a superstar but he'll be a very good player. Now if we hit the lottery NEXT year... bring a change of clothes because Bedard is going to be a superstar.
My impression is that Wright will be better than a 3C.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I don’t know fellas , I have a very very good feeling about the lotto.
I just have a weird feeling we are going to be picking 1 or 2.
Weird feeling plus I am willing it to happen.
No I’m not a new age weirdo that rubs crystals all over myself and chants in a room full of incense with Terot cards trying to talk to the hockey gods. I just have a feeling .
Of course we're gonna win, Bedard is next yr lol

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is simply not an accurate assessment of Juraj Slafkovsky.

His lack of production is a myth, devoid of context.

Slafkovsky put up huge numbers in the Finnish juniors, then was promoted to the Finnish men's league. Not fluent in the language and as a teenager playing with men, he was used in a bottom six role. How many points did we expect him to put up in such a context? It's just not realistic.

In the Olympics, Slafkovsky was the very best player in the tournament. We cannot understate this.

Returning to the Finnish Liiga, Slafkovsky was used in more of a middle six role with PP time, and his numbers improved dramatically. In the playoffs, Slafkovsky produced the 3rd highs playoff point total of a draft eligible in the past 20 years.

He is also not "lumbering". Though Slafkovsky is certainly not an elite skater, he's a very good one, especially when you consider he is a 6'4 18 year old.

The biggest mistake draft evaluators make is in looking at statistics without proper context. The second biggest mistake they make is in looking at tools without factoring in how these tools are utilized.

Slafkovsky plays a high IQ, big compete, physical and interior game with elite skills. This alone would make him a first round pick, but he's also 6'4 and steadily improving. I'd say he's not a perfect player or a guarantee, but I'd also say he's a very good player with the highest upside of any forward in the class of 2022.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
This is simply not an accurate assessment of Juraj Slafkovsky.

His lack of production is a myth, devoid of context.

Slafkovsky put up huge numbers in the Finnish juniors, then was promoted to the Finnish men's league. Not fluent in the language and as a teenager playing with men, he was used in a bottom six role. How many points did we expect him to put up in such a context? It's just not realistic.

In the Olympics, Slafkovsky was the very best player in the tournament. We cannot understate this.

Returning to the Finnish Liiga, Slafkovsky was used in more of a middle six role with PP time, and his numbers improved dramatically. In the playoffs, Slafkovsky produced the 3rd highs playoff point total of a draft eligible in the past 20 years.

He is also not "lumbering". Though Slafkovsky is certainly not an elite skater, he's a very good one, especially when you consider he is a 6'4 18 year old.

The biggest mistake draft evaluators make is in looking at statistics without proper context. The second biggest mistake they make is in looking at tools without factoring in how these tools are utilized.

Slafkovsky plays a high IQ, big compete, physical and interior game with elite skills. This alone would make him a first round pick, but he's also 6'4 and steadily improving. I'd say he's not a perfect player or a guarantee, but I'd also say he's a very good player with the highest upside of any forward in the class of 2022.

As I said before, at the end of the day, his numbers are what they are. Sure, there might be context that possibly explains it. There’s no way to tell for sure and that’s what makes me uncomfortable.

I didn’t say he’s a bad skater, his skating seems to be pretty pedestrian and he’s not particularly quick.

I understand you’re a big Slafkovsky fan. Don’t get me wrong, I see his assets and the ceiling, and I’m not outwardly opposed to drafting him, but he’s simply not my first choice from what I’ve seen and read.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As I said before, at the end of the day, his numbers are what they are. Sure, there might be context that possibly explains it. There’s no way to tell for sure and that’s what makes me uncomfortable.

I didn’t say he’s a bad skater, his skating seems to be pretty pedestrian and he’s not particularly quick.

I understand you’re a big Slafkovsky fan. Don’t get me wrong, I see his assets and the ceiling, and I’m not outwardly opposed to drafting him, but he’s simply not my first choice from what I’ve seen and read.
I fully understand any Devils fans wanting Jiricek or Nemec to be the NJ top choice -- they both have the potential to be star two-way 1D at the NHL level. But it would be difficult for me to understand wanting any other forward over Slafkovsky. He's pretty much precisely the type of player the Devils need in the top 6, and his upside would be higher than any player in the Devils top 6 save for Jack Hughes.

Numbers for a draft-eligible prospect are what they are. Last year they were used as an argument against Owen Power at #1, and in a redraft he still goes #1. In 2020 the numbers were used to argue against Lucas Raymond and Jake Sanderson at #4/#5, and now they both look like outstanding picks. In 2019, stats arguments were made against Moritz Seider as a 1st round pick, and in a redraft he goes #2 overall after only Jack Hughes. In 2018 stats arguments went against Brady Tkachuk and in 2017 Martin Necas.

The numbers absolutely must be taken into context and weighed in tandem with traditional scouting tools, otherwise you're going to be a pretty poor drafting team. With Slafkovsky, you have an elite passer with elite hands who is nearly unstoppable down low and can play keepaway with the puck against defensemen a decade older. It's not that I'm a "fan" of Slafkovsky, it's that his upside is stratospheric and he'll enter the draft as a consensus top 3 pick. We can say I'm a "fan" of players I'm lauding for the 4th round, sure, but I don't think anyone with half a brain is ranking Slafkovsky outside their top 10.

We can split Slafkovsky's stats into 4 sections this year:

1) Start of year, Finnish Jr: Slafkovsky looked like a threat to break every draft-eligible scoring mark for the league with 18 points in 11 games.

2) Called up to Finnish Liiga: used at a bottom 6 winger and playing for the first time against grown men in a country where he didn't speak the language, Slafkovsky struggled mightily to hit the scoresheet

3) Olympics: Slafkovsky tore up the tournament and deservedly won MVP as best player.

4) End of Finnish season: Slafkovsky was utilized in a middle 6 role from the Olympics on, doubling his point totals in half the games. In the playoffs, he notched 7 points, not eye-popping but still the 3rd-highest total for a draft-eligible in the past two decades.

So, if we're going to use a numbers argument against Juraj Slafkovsky, here's the argument: though he dominated thoroughly in 2 of the 3 major events in which he played, we should not draft him because he did not produce at the highest level in which he played until he was promoted from the bottom 6 into a more consistent scoring line role.

Like him or not, Slafkovsky seems to be a pretty great bet for being picked in the top 3, so for Devils fans it's unlikely to matter anyway unless they win the #2 overall slot at the lottery. The question we need to ask is: how many points would Slafkovsky had scored if he was playing in the QMJHL? And if you watched him in the Olympics or Finnish Juniors or Liiga playoffs as I did, the next question would be if he would have been just above or below the 100-point plateau.

Unfortunately, the context does not allow an air-tight resolution to this statistical conundrum, so we are forced to hypothesize where he is now and where is abilities could allow him to progress and, in essence, that's why we rank prospects in the first place, and why good-drafting teams routinely do it exceptionally.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad