NHL 2022-out of town thread III - Marty Walsh reportedly in the mix to become director of NHL Players’ Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fehr is 74 years old. His salary at the NHLPA is believed to be at least $3.5 million annually.

Walsh, 55, makes a $235,600 salary as Secretary of Labor, according to the US Office of Personnel Management records.

Reactions: EverettMike

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He is the right choice and I think he will be good for the players. People need to put their personal politics aside. He's way better than Donald Fehr.

Also, people need to stop with the he took campaign donations from Jacobs. Go do a search on the FEC website. He gives to so many different campaigns.
I know you're a fan Ali...but you have to concede having a head knocker like Marty in place here indicates they're looking at a fight (and quite possibly a lockout) not a grow-the-game, marketing/business kind of future. You only hire Marty if you want someone who will do the real dirty work.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I know you're a fan Ali...but you have to concede having a head knocker like Marty in place here indicates they're looking at a fight (and quite possibly a lockout) not a grow-the-game, marketing/business kind of future. You only hire Marty if you want someone who will do the real dirty work.
I think its the perfect role for him.

Secretary of Labor definitely wasn't.......

Reactions: Alicat

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
He is the right choice and I think he will be good for the players. People need to put their personal politics aside. He's way better than Donald Fehr.

Also, people need to stop with the he took campaign donations from Jacobs. Go do a search on the FEC website. He gives to so many different campaigns.
Perhaps the union is looking at a potential lockout and prefer not to have someone who will kneel before the owners, which seems to be the consensus from both these posts, though one is favorable and the other not. My only question would be if the owners are the ones initiating a hard line stance, why wouldn't the union want someone unafraid to go toe to toe with them?

Perhaps the owners are not the ones initiating a hard line stance. In this case, his varied resume as union leader, city councilor, mayor and Secy. of Labor have given him enough experience from both the management and the workers' side that he may have a better feel for finding the middle ground.

Personally, I have no take on where he'll go with this next negotiation or what he'll be like in this role. I'm kind of surprised people have their minds made up already. Am I being naive?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm not naive. I know what his hiring signifies and honestly, I am all for it. League is raking in money and constantly asking players to bend. There are issues that need to be handled and Marty isn't afraid of anyone. He learned from one of the best in Mayor Menino.

Let me be clear, Marty isn't afraid of anyone and he's going to fight for the players 100%. If I'm the owners, I look to start resolving issues now.

One other thing is that Marty's not going to sit back and brush incidents like Kyle Beach under the rug and pull the I misremember act Fehr did.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
They won a Cup and lost interest we've seen this before. They probably want April off.

Its infuriating we don't have a second Cup because the Bruins never really fell off like that after 2011. 2 coaches kept around for far too long if we had a quicker hook on both we'd have had a couple more regular seasons like this one since.

Have you seen the Avs' injury list this season? Landeskog hasn't played all season, Manson's been on IR since Dec 1, and at various times they've been missing MacKinnon, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Helm and Girard. Couple that with the usual little post-Cup hangover and it's easy to see why they are down in the standings at present.

But they're one point off a playoff spot, with games in hand on their nearest opponents. If they qualify and they get close to fully healthy, then they're still the best team in the west and have every chance of going deep again. We're a long way from writing them off yet.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Have you seen the Avs' injury list this season? Landeskog hasn't played all season, Manson's been on IR since Dec 1, and at various times they've been missing MacKinnon, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Helm and Girard. Couple that with the usual little post-Cup hangover and it's easy to see why they are down in the standings at present.

But they're one point off a playoff spot, with games in hand on their nearest opponents. If they qualify and they get close to fully healthy, then they're still the best team in the west and have every chance of going deep again. We're a long way from writing them off yet.
1000% this.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1675806227274.png

Reactions: old blue

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Colorado will be fine

Vegas could be in trouble - Their home record could cost them in the end.

1675806516108.png

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I think that's highly likely. This is it for Krejci and the money and the options just aren't going to be there to replace him any way other than internally. Bergy though seems far more likely to go round again, which should buy Sweeney time to sort out the longer term future of the Bruins down the middle. The only way I see Patrice walking at season's end is if it's after he's lifted a certain cup, and if that happens then who cares what comes next anyway?!
I really think Krejci will be back. New coach and he’s having a great year and seems to be having lots of fun.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Recency bias. 20 years from now we will have to listen to how much better than Lidstrom Karlsson or Makar were. As to the Norris argument, Bourque got robbed for the Norris at least twice, whereas Lidstrom stole at least one, probably 2, from Chara.

That last Norris win by Lidstrom was a joke, it was basically a retirement gift from the voters.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Unfortunately the NHL didn’t make the big money like the other 3 sports. TV contracts don’t generate enough money in the smaller markets and some mid size US markets. Players are getting 1/2 the Money being made how much more can the get?

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Fehr is 74 years old. His salary at the NHLPA is believed to be at least $3.5 million annually.

Walsh, 55, makes a $235,600 salary as Secretary of Labor, according to the US Office of Personnel Management records.
Along with the salaries of many teachers, more proof this country is screwed up. I think he is either a very good or a very bad choice. A lockout is coming, and my thought is they need a negotiator, not a hard liner.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad