NHL 2022-out of town thread III - Marty Walsh reportedly in the mix to become director of NHL Players’ Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

lololol

Reactions: 22Brad Park

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Blues fans pretend he made a difference in 2019 but that rosters commitment to shut down defense with a lead and the questionable physicality threshold is what won the Cup.

Binnington is _____. Embarrasses himself constantly.

The dude is a mental case, but it’s just wrong that he didn’t make a difference. He won the Cup for the Blues in game 7 when he completely shut the door on the Bruins dominating during the first period.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The dude is a mental case, but it’s just wrong that he didn’t make a difference. He won the Cup for the Blues in game 7 when he completely shut the door on the Bruins dominating during the first period.
Did he? More games than not I swear the save percentage was under .800, and while the Bruins were very strong that first period I blame Marchand - not for the line change but for having a gaping open net and shooting dead center to Binnington's logo in the 1st.

As soon as the Blues had the lead game 7 was over. Claude Julien hockey x 1,000 where the Bruins could muster nothing.

Whichever team scored first was going to sit on that lead to the Cup and Marchand's miss sealed it.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Did he? More games than not I swear the save percentage was under .800, and while the Bruins were very strong that first period I blame Marchand - not for the line change but for having a gaping open net and shooting dead center to Binnington's logo in the 1st.

As soon as the Blues had the lead game 7 was over. Claude Julien hockey x 1,000 where the Bruins could muster nothing.

Whichever team scored first was going to sit on that lead to the Cup and Marchand's miss sealed it.

He put up a .974 in game 5 and a .970 in game 7. He was huge when it was all on the line.

In terms of his overall performance across 7 games? Nothing overly special. But outshined Tuukka and the Bruins in the crunchiest of crunch times.

If you withstand a barrage in the first period of a game 7 Final on the road, you deserve credit. Not for being some great overall goalie but for showing up on the biggest stage. Maybe in that f***ed up head of his, there’s a tiny bit of ability to channel some focus.

Reactions: duffy

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
He put up a .974 in game 5 and a .970 in game 7. He was huge when it was all on the line.

In terms of his overall performance across 7 games? Nothing overly special. But outshined Tuukka and the Bruins in the crunchiest of crunch times.

If you withstand a barrage in the first period of a game 7 Final on the road, you deserve credit. Not for being some great overall goalie but for showing up on the biggest stage. Maybe in that f***ed up head of his, there’s a tiny bit of ability to channel some focus.

Binnington was excellent that entire playoffs. His numbers for it are solid rather than exceptional, but he stood up in the key moments and every time he had a poor game (such as G3 again the Bruins) he bounced right back every time and played well in the next contest. That takes some guts. I wouldn't say he was THE difference for the Blues, but he was a factor and he was the better goalie in every series they played, even just slightly against a red-hot Rask.

He's been average to awful ever since, barring a couple of bright patches, but have to give him his dues for 2019 - he earned that Cup.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Blues fans pretend he made a difference in 2019 but that rosters commitment to shut down defense with a lead and the questionable physicality threshold is what won the Cup.

Binnington is _____. Embarrasses himself constantly.
He’s a shit goaltender who’ll be driving a beer truck in 2 years. But he was solid in 2019. Especially in Game 7.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Binnington never allowed them to lose two in a row. He was clutch when needed

Also, Trouba could play for my team any day of the week.

IMO Trouba is sort of like former Ranger, Ryan Reaves, in that fans on other teams seem to like him more than home fans.

The highlights are good and all, but he’s not the rock solid defenseman that said highlights may imply.

Before someone says it…no, I am not saying Reaves and Trouba are on the same level when it comes to hockey.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
IMO Trouba is sort of like former Ranger, Ryan Reaves, in that fans on other teams seem to like him more than home fans.

The highlights are good and all, but he’s not the rock solid defenseman that said highlights may imply.

Before someone says it…no, I am not saying Reaves and Trouba are on the same level when it comes to hockey.

I go to a fair amount of Rags games and was invited last night . . . didn't go. Trouba is wildly inconsistent and needs to stop taking ill-timed penalties. My Rags friends see him as poor choice for the "C" - not sure last night helped him in the locker room.

I thought Trochek would really help them . . .and he may. They will be a dangerous #7-8 seed to play. But right now, there seems like zero cohesiveness on the bench. I see them shaking up that roster, upgrading Halak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad