HF Habs: 2022 Olympic Team Discussion

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good to see Suzuki getting some consideration. Hope he makes even if it's as 13th forward. Just being around Crosby, Bergeron, etc. would be an amazing experience for him.

Figure Weber is too old. Not sure who else would be there though.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
On his past reputation. He doesn’t deserve to be there based on his play. You can easily find three RD better than him.

lol no.
Makar, Parayko, Hamilton, Doughty, Weber, and Pietrangelo should be the only RD getting considerations.

Doughty has declined the last few years, and Parayko and Hamilton are not on the same level as other guys.

Weber, Pietrangelo, and Makar should be the top 3 RD.

There is a much higher chance for Weber to be on the top pairing of team Canada than there is of him not making the team.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Seems like our D and goaltending weren't the same of years past. But who knows, some D can emerge this year and next kinda like the 2010 squad

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
lol no.
Makar, Parayko, Hamilton, Doughty, Weber, and Pietrangelo should be the only RD getting considerations.

Doughty has declined the last few years, and Parayko and Hamilton are not on the same level as other guys.

There is a much higher chance for Weber to be on the top pairing of team Canada than there is of him not making the team.
I’d take Doughty over Morgan Reilly, I predict team Canada will value him like Subban

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
lol no.

Lol yes. Makar, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Doughty and Dougie Hamilton are all far better than him at this point in his career. Heck I’d even understand an argument of having Ryan Ellis instead. Weber is a shadow of his former self. Sorry that you can’t see that.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
players that could be in the running,

Canada- Price, Suzuki, Weber
USA - Petry, Caufield
Finland - KK, Armia, Leks
Russia - Romanov
Slovkia - Tatar

I'd add Anderson to the list *IF* (and it's a massive IF) he stays healthy and keeps up anywhere close to his current pace (as unlikely as that is).

45-55 goal scoring, large bodied defensively responsible wingers are both very rare and right up Canada hockey's alley. Could see him bump out guys like Barzal/Horvat/Point not because he's "better" but because he adds the size/physicality element and the forward group is already quite deep on pure talent.

I'd also consider Mysak an outside shot at the Czech roster... their forward group is pretty slim on talent, and while he isn't lighting it up right now, his history with their WJ program might get him at least a look in whatever camps they run this summer

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Jesus christ that team is awful.
No Tavares over Bo f***ing Horvat? lmfao.
Weber should not even be in the starting roster.

Byram , Suzuki ??? what

2 of the best forwards/defensive player in the 4th line and Huberdeau as 1st liner instead of Stone?

Jesus we are not winning the gold.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don’t think Weber should be there. I mean. He is gonna be 36. I can understand the selection in a guy like Pat Bergeron on a shutddown line, on the fourth line. But these olympics. Thats many game in a small sttrecht. I would rather have fresh youngs players instead of players at the end of their career... i like Weber. This is not the question. But makar, hamilton, parayko, pietrangelo are a no brainer to me in front of Weber..

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t think Weber should be there. I mean. He is gonna be 36. I can understand the selection in a guy like Pat Bergeron on a shutddown line, on the fourth line. But these olympics. Thats many game in a small sttrecht. I would rather have fresh youngs players instead of players at the end of their career... i like Weber. This is not the question. But makar, hamilton, parayko, pietrangelo are a no brainer to me in front of Weber..

Parayko is just a younger and more mobile version of the Weber we have now.

I get having Shea before this because of his shot. But that’s gone so he offers nothing. He’s not particularly good at moving the puck, he’s slow, it’s not a physical tournament. What’s the point?

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Parayko is just a younger and more mobile version of the Weber we have now.

I get having Shea before this because of his shot. But that’s gone so he offers nothing. He’s not particularly good at moving the puck, he’s slow, it’s not a physical tournament. What’s the point?
You are purposefully ignoring the stare. :laugh:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Suzuki won’t be there before Tavares Couturier and others

It's a good practice to bring young guys you think will be around 4-8-12 years from now as reserves, this way they get to live the experience. Of his development curve holds, I'd say Suzuki could be bottom 6 on Team Canada into the 2030s.

Thinking this is why they'd bring somebody like Blackwood instead of another veteran as 3rd stringer. I'm just surprised this analyst chose two youngsters with Price. I'd bring two veterans and a young guy, in that case, Hart.

Last edited:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Jesus christ that team is awful.
No Tavares over Bo f***ing Horvat? lmfao.
Weber should not even be in the starting roster.

Byram , Suzuki ??? what

2 of the best forwards/defensive player in the 4th line and Huberdeau as 1st liner instead of Stone?

Jesus we are not winning the gold.

Huberdeau is arguably the best natural LW in Canada right now.... (marchand being the other)

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I think on D there is still a lot to be decided, in nets I assume Price and Binnington with either Hart or Blackwood

Up front its more fun, a lot of options. I've had this on my mind

McDavid - McKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Huberdeau- Point - Barzal
O’Rielly - Couturier - Stone
Spares: Tavares, Scheifel

I feel it's missing physicality especially if its N.A ice. I think they'll take a body like Morrow of 2010.
Maybe Anderson lol who knows

That fourth line though, good luck lol

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

The man himself Chris Pronger did it haha, my favourite D Man. He didn't look great leading up to the finals but him and Scott Niedermyer were the real deal that final

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
For me:

Marchand - McDavid - MacKinnon
Huberdeau - Crosby - Marner
O'Reilly - Bergeron - Stone (AKA no GA line)
Stamkos - Point - Tavares
Scheifele, Horvat

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Girard - Ekblad
2 of Letang/Weber/Ellis/Doughty/Hamilton/Byram/ Spurgeon/ Morrissey/Parayko/ Toews

Price
2 of Jarry/Hart/Blackwood/Kuemper/Binnington/Murray

Funny enough, Canada has a weakness at true LW and LHD. Goalie is also a question mark compared to the previous two decades.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
lol no.

You forgot Ekblad, he's playing tremendous for Florida this year.

I think Makar and Ekblad are your top 2 RD. Whoever you choose for 3rd RD is a good option (Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad