HF Habs: 2022 Olympic Team Discussion

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Damn Canadian goaltending is in a bad state. I remember when the choices were Roy/Brodeur/Belfour/Joseph.

And someone needs to be fired if they think Weber should be there.
As long as Price remains healthy, they are in good shape...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think on D there is still a lot to be decided, in nets I assume Price and Binnington with either Hart or Blackwood

Up front its more fun, a lot of options. I've had this on my mind

McDavid - McKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Huberdeau- Point - Barzal
O’Rielly - Couturier - Stone
Spares: Tavares, Scheifel

I feel it's missing physicality especially if its N.A ice. I think they'll take a body like Morrow of 2010.
Maybe Anderson lol who knows

That fourth line though, good luck lol

McDavid is the best player in the league. No way he’s on the wing, regardless if they try to pair him with MacKinnon which I doubt they’ll do. MacKinnon will likely be 2c and the Bergeron-Marchand-Crosby line will be their third line.

Reactions: canucklover123

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
McDavid is the best player in the league. No way he’s on the wing, regardless if they try to pair him with MacKinnon which I doubt they’ll do. MacKinnon will likely be 2c and the Bergeron-Marchand-Crosby line will be their third line.

True don’t disagree at all, I made that first line purely for the fact I wanna see them play together and if I remember correctly (apologize if I’m wrong) I remember Mackinnon being quoted as saying he hates the wing. I also thought it was universally known that he is not good on the wing.

i can see point on the wing as well but I like him up the middle, very cerebral

I find that mackinnon and McDavid can carry their lines by themselves regardless who they play with, point makes every around him good and Sid is Sid

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I don't think McDavid is the best 2 way player in the league however, that's why he might play wing to Crosby. One of Mckinnon or McDavid will play wing 100%. Because we have to play Point in the top 3 centers. I also doubt Crosby won't be the 1st center, team Canada is a lot more conservative than putting an under 25 first center.

McKinnon - Crosby - Bergeron
Scheifele - McDavid - Barzal
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Couturier ROR Stone
Tavares - Huberdeau - Lafreniere(bring him for 2026)

Hart
Billington
Blackwood

Last edited:
Reactions: canucklover123

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Glad Vanbiesbrouck is getting on with his life, even though Trevor Daley hasn’t reached out to him...

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I don't think McDavid is the best 2 way player in the league however, that's why he might play wing to Crosby. One of Mckinnon or McDavid will play wing 100%. Because we have to play Point in the top 3 centers. I also doubt Crosby won't be the 1st center, team Canada is a lot more conservative than putting an under 25 first center.

McKinnon - Crosby - Bergeron
Scheifele - McDavid - Barzal
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Couturier ROR Stone
Tavares - Huberdeau - Lafreniere(bring him for 2026)

Hart
Billington
Blackwood

I don't see Canada trying to deflect from natural positions that much when we have an abundance of talent.
Can't see Marchand and Huberdeau not in the starting the lineup nor Stamkos playing his off wing.

I do see the allure of pairs though and having Point-Stamkos means one of Barzal/Marner not in the starting lineup

Agreed on Point, don't see how he not the 3Rd C, ROR/Couts interchangeble at C on the fourth

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't see Canada trying to deflect from natural positions that much when we have an abundance of talent.
Can't see Marchand and Huberdeau not in the starting the lineup nor Stamkos playing his off wing.

I do see the allure of pairs though and having Point-Stamkos means one of Barzal/Marner not in the starting lineup

Agreed on Point, don't see how he not the 3Rd C, ROR/Couts interchangeble at C on the fourth

I'd be very surprised overall if Huberdeau is in the lineup, in any form. He's not a team Canada kinda guy.

Marchand's time with this team was borrowed to begin with, not sure how to make a case for him at this point with McKinnon/McDavid/Marner/Barzal knocking on the door for offensive roles in the top 6.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lol yes. Makar, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Doughty and Dougie Hamilton are all far better than him at this point in his career. Heck I’d even understand an argument of having Ryan Ellis instead. Weber is a shadow of his former self. Sorry that you can’t see that.

Damn I completely forgot about Ekblad who has become an exceptional RD. There is literally no justification for having Shea Weber over him either.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Damn I completely forgot about Ekblad who has become an exceptional RD. There is literally no justification for having Shea Weber over him either.

The justification is experience and it's not a crazy justification, to have one guy to calm the young ones. You don't have to play Weber on your top pairing, but he's likely more useful than Ekblad if you calculate leadership. Ekblad will have 2026, he's coming in the big picture, not need to rush that.

I'm fully expecting Weber, Pietrangelo and Doughty to be part of the lineup.

Makar and Hamilton are the 2 stars to build around.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The justification is experience and it's not a crazy justification, to have one guy to calm the young ones. You don't have to play Weber on your top pairing, but he's likely more useful than Ekblad if you calculate leadership. Ekblad will have 2026, he's coming in the big picture, not need to rush that.

I'm fully expecting Weber, Pietrangelo and Doughty to be part of the lineup.

Makar and Hamilton are the 2 stars to build around.

Experience? It’s a team full of NHL captains and Stanley Cup winners. You really picture Weber saying “okay McDavid, no need to panic”? He’s also undergone zero hardship as a member of Team Canada. You don’t waste a roster spot on a player just because of experience. If that’s the case, why not put Corey Perry on the 4th line? Ridiculous right?

Pietrangelo, captain of a Cup winning team. Doughty, key cog of two Cup winning teams. That’s all you need for veteran leadership on the backend. Weber’s leadership would be redundant. And as a player, he would make the team worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tighthead

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Experience? It’s a team full of NHL captains and Stanley Cup winners. You really picture Weber saying “okay McDavid, no need to panic”? He’s also undergone zero hardship as a member of Team Canada. You don’t waste a roster spot on a player just because of experience. If that’s the case, why not put Corey Perry on the 4th line? Ridiculous right?

Pietrangelo, captain of a Cup winning team. Doughty, key cog of two Cup winning teams. That’s all you need for veteran leadership on the backend. Weber’s leadership would be redundant. And as a player, he would make the team worse.

I'm talking about Olympic experience obviously.
No experience:

McDavid
McKinnon
Barzal
Scheifele
Point
Marner
Couturier (not entirely sure)
Stone

Makar
Ekblad
Parayko
Hamilton
Theodore
Chatbot

Ie. a big chunk of the team is unproven at this level and quite on the young side, this is a pass the torch moment from a generation point of view.

I'm not advocating for Weber. I think team Canada will advocate for Weber. Because as usual, they bring 2-3 players that are over the hill:

Crosby
Bergeron
Marchand
Tavares
Doughty
Piets

Is just 6 vets, I have the feeling Toews and Weber will be there in some capacity to make it 8 vets, even if they are both in decline (like Doughty, Marchand, Bergeron are)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad