Speculation: 2022 Offseason Free Agency/Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Thought i'd make something a little different than the current trade thread. We have approx 18 million to get to the cap floor. Who are some FA targets you have interest in? What players do you think PV will target? Let's discuss UFA's/RFA's in here as opposed to trade possibilities!

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
it's a hard question because so much depends on two huge variables that we don't know:

-Where are we in the rebuild? Was the deadline the beginning and we're in the earlier stages of the rebuild than PV implied when he was hired? Are we on the back end of the rebuild?

-What trades is he targeting? This one depends on the first question, but so much depends on if PV is targeting a piece to add to the core or not. Obviously the cap dumps play a part as well.

So depending on what happens, here are some potential targets:
Manson
Gudbranson
Zadorov (I don't want him, but I could see us being interested)
Palat
Mikheyev

I think most moves will be through trades this year. I think Mikheyev would be a great target for us. I'd actually like to bring both Manson and Gudbranson in (and trade Shattenkirk), but I don't see that happening.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Burakovsky
Marchment
Paul

For what I'd assume to be a total of around 12M per, adding one of these three two each of the top 3 lines, would make this team so much faster, bigger/stronger and more difficult to play against. Bit of a reach to think we could actually land all three, but seems like the next best thing to landing a true star.

For defense, the top priority has to be getting someone who is going to take some tough defensive minutes on the right side to not throw too much on Drysdale's shoulders. No disrespect to Gudbranson, I'd prefer to have someone of his ilk on the third pair over Shatt, but I'm talking about someone more equipped to handle 20+ mins all year. Barring any trade candidates out there, maybe could get Stralman on a bit of an inflated one year deal.

Perhaps another vet D who can play a 4/5 role as well, so as to not thrust Vaak into a top four role by default, and provide a steady partner for JD.

Fowler - Stralman
Edler - Drysdale
Vaak/Benoit - Gudbranson

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I just hope PV doesn't sign guys to retirement contracts so that they can play out their careers in the sunshine and away from the spotlight. Any player who has playoffs ambitions isn't coming to Anaheim. And we all know that free agents typically don't make California their preferred destination.

I'm thinking 2nd/3rd tier free agents on short contracts is the way to go and the most likely outcome.

Palat is interesting because of his PV connection but why would he want to come here?

Last edited:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I just hope PV doesn't sign guys to retirement contracts so that they can play out their careers in the sunshine and away from the spotlight. Any player who has playoffs ambitions isn't coming to Anaheim. And we all know that free agents typically don't make California their preferred destination.

I thinking 2nd/3rd tier free agents on short contracts is the way to go and the most likely outcome.

Palat is interesting because of his PV connection but why would he want to come here?
How do you define second tier? Like Palat and Burakovsky or would you consider those guys top tier? Blthat being said I also think he avoids guys like Malkin, Letang, Forsberg etc. Guys I'd would like to see, maybe 1 or 2:
Palat
Burakovsky
Marchment
Copp
Rowney
Gudbranson
Manson
Cole.
I tend to think he makes a few ufa signings and a few trades and as suggested we don't know what type of trades he may be targeting. I'm hoping for 1 impact player and probably a mid tier role type player for D like a Dillon or maybe Dumoulin.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

I'm thinking 2nd/3rd tier free agents on short contracts is the way to go and the most likely outcome.

Judging by the reluctancy of PV to give term on deals to our UFAs, I can't see himself throwing out term to any of the targets either. Which i'm totally fine with. I think we need another year.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Judging by the reluctancy of PV to give term on deals to our UFAs, I can't see himself throwing out term to any of the targets either. Which i'm totally fine with. I think we need another year.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to see him hold a firm stance with the guys here only to go back on that a couple months later. Only exceptions I could see there are maybe if they wanted Johnny or thought of Forsberg that highly but I still kind of doubt it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Yeah, it's pretty hard to see him hold a firm stance with the guys here only to go back on that a couple months later. Only exceptions I could see there are maybe if they wanted Johnny or thought of Forsberg that highly but I still kind of doubt it.
I think it will really depend on the player but in general I would agree. I can see an argument for not giving Raks or Manson more than 4 year but give that to someone you like more in UFA. Lindholm has his health issues that affect term. Lots of considerations in not giving a longer contract for one guy but it being okay for another.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Agreed. Though I think its more the players age than the actual term. However, I agree, I don't see him giving term to free agents this offseason because most are in their upper 20's. I think that takes us out of the Forsberg and Johnny Hockey discussions, which personally I'm 100% fine with.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I'd be VERY interested in Burakovsky; he can shoot, pass and digs in the corners - very much what we need IMHO. And he seems to kick it up a notch in the playoffs.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Not looking it up, but isn't Malkin UFA, too? Could very well see us sign him for two or three years at roughly 8M per as a mentor and tutor for our young players. Could be a great coach for Zegras to develop his two-way game and learning how to win face-offs.

Reactions: Trojans86

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
How do you define second tier? Like Palat and Burakovsky or would you consider those guys top tier? Blthat being said I also think he avoids guys like Malkin, Letang, Forsberg etc. Guys I'd would like to see, maybe 1 or 2:
Palat
Burakovsky
Marchment
Copp
Rowney
Gudbranson
Manson
Cole.
I tend to think he makes a few ufa signings and a few trades and as suggested we don't know what type of trades he may be targeting. I'm hoping for 1 impact player and probably a mid tier role type player for D like a Dillon or maybe Dumoulin.
I don't want to label players by tier but I'd go with the following approach to get to the cap floor:
1. First priority would be to acquire 1-2 year cap dumps in return for future assets
2. Sign a couple of UFA's to fill any glaring holes. 1-2 year deals with a max AAV of $3 million
3. Reserve one possible slot to sign a player to a 3 year deal but AAV remains maxed at $3 million

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don't want to label players by tier but I'd go with the following approach to get to the cap floor:
1. First priority would be to acquire 1-2 year cap dumps in return for future assets
2. Sign a couple of UFA's to fill any glaring holes. 1-2 year deals with a max AAV of $3 million
3. Reserve one possible slot to sign a player to a 3 year deal but AAV remains maxed at $3 million
Then why mention tiers? I Mean I upstanding your stance, it's been very clear. Just not sure what players you're a really looking at. It's possibly we may even have some overlap! Crazy I know.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Then why mention tiers? I Mean I upstanding your stance, it's been very clear. Just not sure what players you're a tally looking at. It's possibly we may even have some overlap! Crazy I know.
We could very well have some overlap which would be nice! I tried to be general by using tiers and I guess that was probably confusing. Obviously though I'm looking at filler signings. Short-term and cheap. Primary focus of weaponizing cap space to acquire cap dumps for assets.

I do think it's important to find players that can teach guys like Zegras and Drysdale how to play NHL hockey. Mentors. Especially on the defensive side of the game. IMO that will pay more dividends down the road than signing a more expensive player who isn't a good mentor.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
We could very well have some overlap which would be nice! I tried to be general by using tiers and I guess that was probably confusing. Obviously though I'm looking at filler signings. Short-term and cheap. Primary focus of weaponizing cap space to acquire cap dumps for assets.

I do think it's important to find players that can teach guys like Zegras and Drysdale how to play NHL hockey. Mentors. Especially on the defensive side of the game. IMO that will pay more dividends down the road than signing a more expensive player who isn't a good mentor.
I tend to think the stop gap type players will be on D given our Prospect pool is deepest there. I think that's were you target short term cap casualty deal. Not necessarily dumps. If someone fits both our needs and the other teams need to dump, like an E. Johnson. I think that could work. I think the LD hole will be filled much the same way 1-3 year deals while we wait for guys like Vaaks, Zell, Thrun and Lacombe to get some AHL time or bottom pairing minutes under their belts. I think at forward is were we have the opportunity to go after a bit more skill. I think a guy like Burakovsky would be great but maybe we're better off targeting Patches. If he costs less than a 1st then he could be flipped if we're not in the playoff race and if we are in the race then we can reasses. I think that leaves a lot of cap/potential assets to get a legit young established top 6 forward which I've said I wanted for awhile. That's how I'd like to see things go down. I could be ok with JVR rather than Patches too. I just like making Vegas pay and Patches is just flat better.

Reactions: tomd

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I tend to think the stop gap type players will be on D given our Prospect pool is deepest there. I think that's were you target short term cap casualty deal. Not necessarily dumps. If someone fits both our needs and the other teams need to dump, like an E. Johnson. I think that could work. I think the LD hole will be filled much the same way 1-3 year deals while we wait for guys like Vaaks, Zell, Thrun and Lacombe to get some AHL time or bottom pairing minutes under their belts. I think at forward is were we have the opportunity to go after a bit more skill. I think a guy like Burakovsky would be great but maybe we're better off targeting Patches. If he costs less than a 1st then he could be flipped if we're not in the playoff race and if we are in the race then we can reasses. I think that leaves a lot of cap/potential assets to get a legit young established top 6 forward which I've said I wanted for awhile. That's how I'd like to see things go down. I could be ok with JVR rather than Patches too. I just like making Vegas pay and Patches is just flat better.
Agree with much of what you say. PV has to get character guys. Guys that will teach the kids. I don't know Burakovsky's reputation but if he is just going to come here to rack up points playing with Zegras but teach him nothing about how to play the game the right way then he isn't a fit. Just using him as an example. I like the idea of Pacioretty if Vegas will pay us to take him. Something even as cheap as a 2nd. Then flip him at the deadline for a 1st or nice prospect.

We know the kids have talent but they really don't know how to play the game the right way. Defensively they are terrible. They need mentors and teachers along with guys who can be role models. Ofttimes a guy like Sam Carrick can do more to teach a young player the ropes than a guy like Johnny Gaudreau.

Reactions: Yemeth and bsu

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Agree with much of what you say. PV has to get character guys. Guys that will teach the kids. I don't know Burakovsky's reputation but if he is just going to come here to rack up points playing with Zegras but teach him nothing about how to play the game the right way then he isn't a fit. Just using him as an example. I like the idea of Pacioretty if Vegas will pay us to take him. Something even as cheap as a 2nd. Then flip him at the deadline for a 1st or nice prospect.

We know the kids have talent but they really don't know how to play the game the right way. Defensively they are terrible. They need mentors and teachers along with guys who can be role models. Ofttimes a guy like Sam Carrick can do more to teach a young player the ropes than a guy like Johnny Gaudreau.
I think hell may have just frozen over. Haha.

Reactions: bsu

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really should go hard after Palat. He will be content on winning a cup and will be looking to cash in, similar weather in Anaheim( not as humid actually, lol)

Then any physical D who can play in the Top 4D

Then go after a cap casualty. Still a good player but is being pushed out for youth or cap reasons.

These on top of McTavish hopefully making an impact , Ducks won’t be as bad as people think. Still no playoffs but I am hoping for .500 hockey.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Kakko is available and won't break the bank I really think we should look into that. He's the perfect age for Zegras and the Rangers have a lot of forwards to fit in.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There was talk that if a team offersheeted him above 4 mill NY wouldn't be able to match. I know it never happens but it's leverage.

Rangers have just under 12 million in cap now since Blais was extended for 1.5 million. Need to sign a 2C. Will cost them 5.5-6 million for that. That leaves roughly 6 million to re-sign Kakko and other spots that are still needed to be filled including a back up goalie. Gonna be tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad