Post-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | 4-3 WIN

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
isxlp9daj2371.png

:naughty:

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
The posts after mine are a case in point of what I'm saying. I wrote out a frankly excessively congratulatory post to you Lightning fans and your team and ended it asking earnestly and sincerely why there's such glee at us losing despite our monumental legacy of failure over the decades and receive no response. There's more energy spent on mocking the Leafs in the last couple pages of this thread than there is pride for your team the Lightning and their masterclass defensive effort. It's perplexing.

Leads me to think that the level headed and humbled voices of the Leafs fanbase are wilfully overlooked and instead the posts of low-effort, boastful Leafs fans are amplified and dogpiled to reinforce hfboards' perception of Leafs fans.

Reactions: The90

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The idea is to win the cup, but Toronto losing in the first round again probably means that they won't win the cup next year, either. Going from no playoff success to complete playoff success with the same group seems like a stretch.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
The idea is to win the cup, but Toronto losing in the first round again probably means that they won't win the cup next year, either. Going from no playoff success to complete playoff success with the same group seems like a stretch.
Only way that happens is if Vasy clones himself and signs on with the Laffs.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The posts after mine are a case in point of what I'm saying. I wrote out a frankly excessively congratulatory post to you Lightning fans and your team and ended it asking earnestly and sincerely why there's such glee at us losing despite our monumental legacy of failure over the decades and receive no response. There's more energy spent on mocking the Leafs in the last couple pages of this thread than there is pride for your team the Lightning and their masterclass defensive effort. It's perplexing.

Leads me to think that the level headed and humbled voices of the Leafs fanbase are wilfully overlooked and instead the posts of low-effort, boastful Leafs fans are amplified and dogpiled to reinforce hfboards' perception of Leafs fans.
To be honest I was actually feeling pretty bad for the Leafs at the end, you could really see it weighing heavily on Matthews and Marner, and unlike the Isles the Leafs weren't excessive cheapshot artists so I didn't leave the series with hard feelings towards them. I also think the vast majority of Leafs fans deserve some sympathy because it's gotten absurd. But every time I turn around and see the same officiating complaints repeated for 20 pages on the main boards it's just so hard to ignore, and the memes (the fresh ones anyway) are funny regardless of my more rational opinions.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Only way that happens is if Vasy clones himself and signs on with the Laffs.
Not really, IMO. Besides Vasy, who has won the cup recently? Binnington, Holtby, Murray, Crawford, etc.

You don't need a Vezina caliber goalie, but you do need a Conn Smythe caliber one.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019

My post was not in response to yours, just a generalization of the salt from Leaf nation. But to respond to yours, people take schadenfreude from your teams woes because your fanbase is exactly like the Cowboys. You seem cool though.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
I always feel bad for leaf fans.

Until I talk to them.
I feel the exact opposite. Collectively I can't stand "Leafs Nation" and the excessive media hype surrounding it/them, particularly since they haven't earned it and so much of it is at the expense of the other Canadian teams (except for the Habs). But, generally speaking, when I have conversation with an individual Leafs fan it is almost always a pleasant experience.

Oh, and one more thing makes me despise Toronto. The two most pretentious and self involved media personalities in not just the hockey world but in the sports world in general are Toronto based. Marek and Freidman. They alone are reason enough to hate the Leafs.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I feel the exact opposite. Collectively I can't stand "Leafs Nation" and the excessive media hype surrounding it/them, particularly since they haven't earned it and so much of it is at the expense of the other Canadian teams (except for the Habs). But, generally speaking, when I have conversation with an individual Leafs fan it is almost always a pleasant experience.

Oh, and one more thing makes me despise Toronto. The two most pretentious and self involved media personalities in not just the hockey world but in the sports world in general are Toronto based. Marek and Freidman. They alone are reason enough to hate the Leafs.
It was a joke lol. The only leaf fans I can't stand are the ones who troll on here. Thats about it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think most of the mocking posts are coming from fans of neither team.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

I'm sorry dude, but if you're looking for thoughtful human connection, sports fandom ain't the place. The whole enterprise is people getting emotionally invested in grown men playing games.

I mean really, really emotionally invested in something that is the very definition of meaningless. Just suck it up and move on.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
Aside from your strangely strong disgust for those two, this is kind of typical of the sort of trivial and baseless reasons for hating a franchise or fanbase. Not only am I pretty certain that neither of them are Leafs fans, or at least they don't make it known, but the fact that they are Toronto based is an inevitability of the fact Canadian sports media is Toronto based which is more likely to be the case since it's the largest city, all things the Leafs franchise nor the fanbase has any control. It's not like the fanbase is funding TSN/Sportsnet/CBC etc. to cover us more than anyone else. Why should that reflect back on us?
I'm sorry dude, but if you're looking for thoughtful human connection, sports fandom ain't the place. The whole enterprise is people getting emotionally invested in grown men playing games.

I mean really, really emotionally invested in something that is the very definition of meaningless. Just suck it up and move on.

It's quite far from seeking 'thoughtful human connection' and wondering why mention and mockery of Leafs fans is so gratuitous, it just seems excessive at some point. Like literally the first reply to the post series thread of the Rangers-Pens series is a joke at the expense of a comment from Sheldon Keefe after the loss last night. As they say, just constantly catching strays. You'd think a bit of basic empathy for passionate fans for unprecedented levels of failure would leak through out of all the memes. It's all I'm saying, but I'll leave it at that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I always feel bad for leaf fans.

Until I talk to them.
Something I was reminded of just this morning. Until they can show some humility and contrition on this site. Your post is 100% spot on. A Poster is still arguing the Holl pick wasn't a pick when it clearly was. Nope don't feel bad at all.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Leafs are a good team, really built for the regular season. Reminds me of the Bolts the year we lost to the Blue Jackets. We had a similar style, possession play, skill and offense. However that was all shut down in the playoffs with a defensive minded team.

I think the playoffs were called weirdly tight for the first 6 games. Did not really understand the shift from years past. Our special teams played well in that series and I think Game 7 really showed how well played defense, and an elite goalie can really stop the offensive juggernauts.

I see the Florida series being a repeat, and hope we get the same results or better (less games).

GoBolts!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Blaming Marek and Friedman for a hatred of the Leafs seems like quite a personal journey.

They do favor the Leafs a bit, but it's not obnoxious. They're going to have favorites somewhere.

BoltsFanSinceDay1

Apr 27, 2019
I think the playoffs were called weirdly tight for the first 6 games.
Seemed to be more than normal tossing out of the faceoff circle. Would like to see some stats on that, don't know if that stat exists. Maybe we just noticed it more for some reason, I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad