Post-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | 4-3 WIN

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
So, anyone worried about this series?
I am.
Considering our defense in the last 2-3 months or so (except for last 4 games), we must be worried by this series.
Toronto Their forwards are skilled and super good scorer and, if they don't po* in their pants, they'll be really dangerous, especially with our defense.

Reactions: Peacefool

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
This team isn't as good as the 2 we won the cup with, but maybe they can be good enough. 3 peat or not, I am still very happy with our results whether we win or lose this series.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It won't be as easy as everyone is assuming. One, there won't be as much pressure on this Toronto team as in the past. Two, they have the offense to punish our mistakes badly. If we're not on our game it could can get out of hand quick and before you know it we've pissed away a couple of games in the series, which could be the difference. But, if we perform the way we know we can, we should be able to lock it up comfortably.

Last edited:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Not gonna be an easy series at all and I'm not thrilled at all to be having f*ckin' Toronto media around our team. At the same time, kinda amazing we haven't run into the Leafs yet over these last few seasons, so it was time for this matchup to come in the playoffs eventually. Hopefully they punch them in the mouth in Game 1 and we go from there.

Reactions: NatoGhost

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Toronto is a better team than recent years, but TB has better goaltending and D. Eventually Toronto will break through with a PO series win, but probably not this year. Anything can happen in the playoffs and I'm not convinced the bolts can make it through a STACKED east, but they have as good a chance as anyone.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Not gonna be an easy series at all and I'm not thrilled at all to be having f*ckin' Toronto media around our team. At the same time, kinda amazing we haven't run into the Leafs yet over these last few seasons, so it was time for this matchup to come in the playoffs eventually. Hopefully they punch them in the mouth in Game 1 and we go from there.
I don't think Toronto is thrilled to have the Toronto media around their team either.
It won't be as easy as everyone is assuming. One, there won't be as much pressure on this Toronto team as in the past. Two, they have the offense to punish our mistakes badly. If we're not on our game it could can get out of hand quick and before you know it we've pissed away a couple of games in the series, which could be the difference. But, if we perform the way we know we can, we should be able to lock it up comfortably.
I think there's never been more pressure on this Toronto team, even if some see them as the underdogs. It can't be acceptable to get knocked out a 6th straight postseason (and in the fashion they have happened) by their first opponent, especially with what that core has done in the regular season. There are a few butts on very hot seats. If Toronto goes down early in the series it will be interesting to see if Leafs Nation start to turn on their team.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Will be a tough series..to take the first game would be huge!

Getting Giordano was a good move by them, he is a McD type of player that you can lean on in the playoffs and overall their defense looks better than in previous years, they also have some good depth, so it's not only about Matthews and Marner.

I really hope we still have it, when Vasy is at our best, our defense locks down the games and we can just grind goals in close, tight games. Then we are damn tough to beat.

But let us see, definitely won't be easy, wouldn't surprise me with a seven game series and then I hope our experience will give us the edge..

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Oh boy, here we go! I really want our boys to put back Toronto and their headache of a fanbase back in their place. Stomp them and show why we are the B2B Champs!

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Leafs fan here came here expecting to see you all saying how your going to destroy us but it's the complete opposite
I've been waiting years for this series I've always thought our teams style's would matchup really well in the playoffs
I'm excited as hell for this and I hope whoever wins this series take the cup.
Goodluck and please don't embarrass us although I think another 1st round exit would be embarrassing enough

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Leafs fan here came here expecting to see you all saying how your going to destroy us but it's the complete opposite
I've been waiting years for this series I've always thought our teams style's would matchup really well in the playoffs
Goodluck and please don't embarrass us although I think another 1st round exit would be embarrassing enough
We talk a bigger game on the main boards just because it's fun to antagonize the cocky/ignorant posters there, lol. After that Columbus sweep it's kind of hard to be truly arrogant even with B2B cups. Any team can expose you with the right matchups and conditions come playoff time.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

There tends to be a quiet confidence in the team. People seem to like to here to express their fears and worries, but don't spend a lot of time going super hype mode. Just look at the game threads -- the losses tend to draw a ton more comments and drag out a bunch of posters you never hear from otherwise. (And it's amplified in the playoffs -- give up a goal and it's just an endless parade of the negative nancys.)

I think those that are most confident in the team also understand that hockey is hella random, that our 2018-19 team was actually one of our best but then got embarrassed because sometimes that just how the puck bounces.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
The one thing I feel good about is our injury situation. Is anyone hurt or nursing anything right now? I've been too busy to follow it closely, but it feels like we're damn close to peak health.

Contrast that with the last two years and that's a huge positive. 2020 was basically no Stamkos, 2021 Hedman was clearly hurt and Kuch was limited (insanely productive, but he did it playing hurt).

Almost makes up for losing the third line. Hopefully our luck holds through the playoffs.

Separately, Vasy should again be in good shape to play every game. We've had the playoffs in the bag for a couple months, so if he wears out from overuse then there was some sort of tactical blunder by the staff.

BoltsOfAnarchy

May 12, 2018
Largo
would really suck to give toronto their first playoff series win in decades, especially by knocking off the b2b champs. that's probably the next worst thing to being swept by columbus in 2019....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad