Post-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Toronto Maple Leafs | 4-3 WIN

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Blaming Marek and Friedman for a hatred of the Leafs seems like quite a personal journey.

They do favor the Leafs a bit, but it's not obnoxious. They're going to have favorites somewhere.
I guess obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder. I find both to be as self-absorbed and in love with their own voices as anyone I have ever heard in sports radio or television. And so, particularly as a Bolts fan, whom they both take thinly veiled shots at and damn with feint praise every chance they get while at the same time finding ways to extol the virtues of a team that has accomplished nothing, it is not a stretch to think that there more than a few others who also find them annoying as hell and who associate them with the Leafs.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I guess obnoxious is in the eye of the beholder. I find both to be as self-absorbed and in love with their own voices as anyone I have ever heard in sports radio or television. And so, particularly as a Bolts fan, whom they both take thinly veiled shots at and damn with feint praise every chance they get, it is not a stretch to think that there more than a few others who associate them with the Leafs.
Dave Randorf was on the Jeff Marek show like an hour ago. I didn't really hear it. Marek talked up Newsy for a bit.

Not every media figure is going to be for everyone, and that's fine. I just find it surprising that Elliotte Friedman is where you personally drew the line.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Dave Randorf was on the Jeff Marek show like an hour ago. I didn't really hear it. Marek talked up Newsy for a bit.

Not every media figure is going to be for everyone, and that's fine. I just find it surprising that Elliotte Friedman is where you personally drew the line.
I'm not saying that they both don't have huge fan bases and that their respective shows and columns are not regarded as a place to be seen and heard in the hockey world. They wouldn't be where they are if the didn't. As you note, different strokes and no accounting for taste.

As for Friedman, I have never heard any reporter inject his or her self into their stories as much as Friedman does. Personally, I don't care about the parallels that Elliotte Friedman finds to the hockey world in his own life. If it was an occasional thing that would be fine but with him, it is a regular feature. His job is to opine on what he sees on the ice and in the league and franchise offices, not share with us how it is relevant to him and his life.

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
You'd think a bit of basic empathy for passionate fans for unprecedented levels of failure would leak through out of all the memes. It's all I'm saying, but I'll leave it at that.

No, I wouldn't think that. It's the last thing I would think. Sports fandom is all about hooting and hollering because "your" players are better than some other city's players, that's it. Empathy is beside the point, if not directly counter to the point -- team sports are a zero sum game where my win equals your loss.

If you're looking for a hobby where people's interests are aligned to support everyone in the group, try a gym or bird-watching or something. Sports fandom is a dry hole for that.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Aside from your strangely strong disgust for those two, this is kind of typical of the sort of trivial and baseless reasons for hating a franchise or fanbase. Not only am I pretty certain that neither of them are Leafs fans, or at least they don't make it known, but the fact that they are Toronto based is an inevitability of the fact Canadian sports media is Toronto based which is more likely to be the case since it's the largest city, all things the Leafs franchise nor the fanbase has any control. It's not like the fanbase is funding TSN/Sportsnet/CBC etc. to cover us more than anyone else. Why should that reflect back on us?

It's quite far from seeking 'thoughtful human connection' and wondering why mention and mockery of Leafs fans is so gratuitous, it just seems excessive at some point. Like literally the first reply to the post series thread of the Rangers-Pens series is a joke at the expense of a comment from Sheldon Keefe after the loss last night. As they say, just constantly catching strays. You'd think a bit of basic empathy for passionate fans for unprecedented levels of failure would leak through out of all the memes. It's all I'm saying, but I'll leave it at that.
I think you're overestimating how invested in hating franchises and fanbases anyone is here. We're barely going to remember the TML-TBL series in a month. There's all of like one poster from your fanbase that has ever annoyed me enough that I remember their username.

Anyways, this post and the one you made in here before come off as weirdly validation-seeking. I'm not sure any of us are going to sufficiently be able to either validate your feelings of injustice or whatever it is you came here to inquire about and no one of us can force any of the others to have empathy so... I'm just not really sure if this is going to go anywhere.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
It feels like insanity that some are saying let's wait 1 more season to see if this thing that hasn't worked the previous 6 seasons, will finally work. And by work, we mean win 4 games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Describing how we won this series by way of Interpretive Professional Wrestling:

Reverses a Body Slam into Small Package Roll-Up Pinfall.gif

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad