GDT: 2022 NHL FREE AGENT FRENZY

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is such a flippant line of thinking.

Any good at Math? Profit sharing aside, assuming these numbers are close to being accurate, how’s that $8 million look now? That’s 5% of revenue…not profit….sales. Now take out marketing and operating expenses (travel, other employees, cost of merchandise, insurance). They paid a 23 year old kid that scored 50 pts 5% of the money that team brought in before expenses. But, hey….that ain’t much. What’s the risk?

Want to know why Eugene croaked? Somebody told him they were going to cut $8 mil out of his wallet and give it to this snot-nosed kid….
He had 35 goals at 22 years old. Bruins fans are so conditioned to think $8m is a lot because Marchand, bergy and pasta took home town deals. That’s why fans don’t want to sign pasta for anything over $9 when his market value is $11

Reactions: Gordoff

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think Norris' deal is a bad one. I would never go 8 years and huge dollars coming off an ELC. I think GM's should hold a firm line and insist on bridge deals.

You do a short term, short money bridge that takes them a year short of UFA, then you go for the big money, 8 year deal if they show they're the real deal. That lets you buy UFA years without having to compete with the rest of the league. That's what the Bruins did with McAvoy.

Worst deal in the league has to be the Matthews deal. They gave him big money AND short term, so when his deal expires he'll be a 26 year old UFA. Larkin too.
What'd you think of the MacKinnon deal when it was signed?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think Norris' deal is a bad one. I would never go 8 years and huge dollars coming off an ELC. I think GM's should hold a firm line and insist on bridge deals.

You do a short term, short money bridge that takes them a year short of UFA, then you go for the big money, 8 year deal if they show they're the real deal. That lets you buy UFA years without having to compete with the rest of the league. That's what the Bruins did with McAvoy.

Worst deal in the league has to be the Matthews deal. They gave him big money AND short term, so when his deal expires he'll be a 26 year old UFA. Larkin too.
What if that was norris’ demands though? Then he hits the market and someone pays him that anyways.

Reactions: Gordoff

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
What'd you think of the MacKinnon deal when it was signed?

I thought it was an awesome deal.

Are you comparing Norris to Mackinnon?
The pearl clutching over a TWENTY TWO year old that scored 35 goals signing a close to 8mil deal for 8 years is hilarious. I mean how are you all still alive after after Brady Tkachuk got 8.25 mil after his 17 goal season?

These are the types you spend money on.

Both not so great deals that should help Bruins. This year and especially beyond when they won’t be able to fit Stutzle, etc, or actually get good D or G because of cap reasons or because they are a team on a budget like they always were.

Who is their #2 D? Zaitsev? Holden? 🤣

They were 34pts behind Bruins last year.

Seriously, they can sign Norris at 8M all they want. Good for them/him.

Just shows how great many of Bruins contract are.

Just Marchand at 6,125M for the next 3y. That’s under washed up Gallagher money!

Enjoy Bruins fans! Maybe one day we’ll rejoice a 23y with only one good season signing 64M/8y after years of sucking and 27pts off a playoffs spot the year prior.

Meanwhile, too occupied winning games, making playoffs and reaching Cup 3 times the past 12 years with 1st time last year in years not making out of round 1.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I thought it was an awesome deal.

Are you comparing Norris to Mackinnon?

Both not so great deals that should help Bruins. This year and especially beyond when they won’t be able to fit Stutzle, etc, or actually get good D or G because of cap reasons or because they are a team on a budget like they always were.

Who is their #2 D? Zaitsev? Holden? 🤣

They were 34pts behind Bruins last year.

Seriously, they can sign Norris at 8M all they want. Good for them/him.

Just shows how great many of Bruins contract are.

Just Marchand at 6,125M for the next 3y. That’s under washed up Gallagher money!

Enjoy Bruins fans! Maybe one day we’ll rejoice a 23y with only one good season signing 64M/8y after years of sucking and 27pts off a playoffs spot the year prior.

Meanwhile, too occupied winning games, making playoffs and reaching Cup 3 times the past 12 years with 1st time last year in years not making out of round 1.
Welcome to the present and future buddy.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I would push back. Nobody begrudges players when they exercise "their right" to go to market. Gaudreau walked away from Calgary, that's his "right." Well, it's the team's right to exercise their leverage on the 2nd contract.

But sometimes, giving away a little this advantage can help you get that same player cheaper on 3rd deal, no?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Kind of hard for Krejci to put up numbers playing with guys nowhere near his caliber in the Czech league. Stick him with Pastrnak and Hall for a year with PP time and he should be good for somewhere around 75 points.
Huh?

He's was also playing against no where near the talent he'd be playing against in the NHL. It goes both ways.

Krejci is a very good player, but to think he's going to come BACK to the NHL and break his career high in points at the age of 36? It's one thing to be optimistic, but let's tone down that expectation just a tad. Is it impossible? No. I just think we are setting ourselves up for disappointment if that's the expectation.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
But sometimes, giving away a little this advantage can help you get that same player cheaper on 3rd deal, no?

I don't know. Can you think of any examples where someone gave a team a discount when they were an unrestricted free agent in their mid-20's?

I feel like those big 2nd deals are for no other reason than to set up even bigger 3rd deals. I can't see Auston Matthews taking a discount, or MacKinnon.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If he signed a 3 year bridge deal what would his salary have been this year? Who would the Avs have had to drop to fit in his cap hit?

Do you think it hurts their chances to have won the cup this year?
If he had signed a 3 year bridge deal, he would have been negotiating a new contract coming off a 33 point season in 2016-17, so I don't think it would have hurt them.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If he had signed a 3 year bridge deal, he would have been negotiating a new contract coming off a 33 point season in 2016-17, so I don't think it would have hurt them.

We're still talking about Nathan MacKinnon right?

If he played out his ELC, then signed a 3 year bridge, he'd be negotiating after just having had a 90+ point season for his 3rd contract

Reactions: Spooner st

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't know. Can you think of any examples where someone gave a team a discount when they were an unrestricted free agent in their mid-20's?

I feel like those big 2nd deals are for no other reason than to set up even bigger 3rd deals. I can't see Auston Matthews taking a discount, or MacKinnon.
Don’t know if it’s apples-to-apples, but the Habs really screwed themselves by nickel and diming PK Subban.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
What I've learned from the past few pages is that we need more economists to become Bruins fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad