Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
I believe Miro tried playing for a USHL team but there were visa/immigration issues.

Yeah, found it:

"But earlier in 2020 he signed an agreement to play for the United States Hockey League’s (USHL) Muskegon Lumberjacks, but was denied entry to the US. He was also denied entry to Canada at one point, and neither of these denials have been addressed or explained."

Well, that's not too encouraging. My fear is that they draft conservatively in the first round due to the lack of draft picks. It'd be nice to get something for Dumo/Petts/Zucker/Kap. If they miss out or aren't interested in the Russians, I hope they find a way to draft Isaac Howard. I think he's quite underrated and would bring a similar game as Jake.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No russian with the first round pick please. Do whatever you want with the later ones, they're lotto tickets either way.
Disagree. I think this may be our best opportunity to grab a high-level Russian player that has fallen due to just that thinking.

Jagr was generally agree to be the best player in the 91 draft but the first 4 teams were nervous about his willingness to come to NA, so he dropped to #5ov and the Penguins were more than willing to take the chance given the talent.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Disagree. I think this may be our best opportunity to grab a high-level Russian player that has fallen due to just that thinking.

Jagr was generally agree to be the best player in the 91 draft but the first 4 teams were nervous about his willingness to come to NA, so he dropped to #5ov and the Penguins were more than willing to take the chance given the talent.

I also think he straight up lied to other teams about not coming over. He wanted to play with Lemieux.

Or so goes the rumor.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

it's not like they took a chance. they snuck him here before the draft.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I believe Miro tried playing for a USHL team but there were visa/immigration issues.

Yeah, found it:

"But earlier in 2020 he signed an agreement to play for the United States Hockey League’s (USHL) Muskegon Lumberjacks, but was denied entry to the US. He was also denied entry to Canada at one point, and neither of these denials have been addressed or explained."

this is all Russian propaganda! :teach2:.................................... unless we pick him:laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I also think he straight up lied to other teams about not coming over. He wanted to play with Lemieux.

Or so goes the rumor.
Pretty much accepted here as the truth. :laugh: Plus there is a big Greek-Rite Orthodox community and lots of Czech / Slovak speakers in Pittsburgh.

I'm curious though what was up with Miro being denied a visa. Did he have an import spot offer for him already or was he trying to get an import spot and then a visa?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Or so goes the rumor.

it's not like they took a chance. they snuck him here before the draft.
Yeah, the stories with Jagr at the draft are always fun to think about.

Bottom line though, each of the 4 teams ahead of the Penguins still could have taken him.

Reactions: The Old Master

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

At that time, if memory serves, Scotty Bowman was our Director of Player Personnel and he had the inside information about Jagr that the other franchises did not.

Who is our Scotty Bowman now, the person who will broker the deal to get a Russian out?

After hearing about the Fedotov situation with the Flyers, I would be shocked if any Russians (who are currently in Russia) would be drafted in the first round.

I also think this year will likely be a record low for Russians drafted.

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At that time, if memory serves, Scotty Bowman was our Director of Player Personnel and he had the inside information about Jagr that the other franchises did not.

Who is our Scotty Bowman now, the person who will broker the deal to get a Russian out?

After hearing about the Fedotov situation with the Flyers, I would be shocked if any Russians (who are currently in Russia) would be drafted in the first round.

I also think this year will likely be a record low for Russians drafted.
Globalism and worldwide communication abilities have done away with the Scotty Bowmans (in that role).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I also think this year will likely be a record low for Rand why we should be drafting russiansussians drafted.
thats what i'm hoping for. and why we should be drafting russians

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Serious disrespect to Darryl Archideld and Sleve McDichael by not including them in the 1st round mock. Gonna be some GMs with egg on their face for that one.

Reactions: Night Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad