Pre-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Figured we could use a thread on the upcoming draft now that the playoffs ended the way that they did.

I think we are picking at #21, at least according to CapFriendlys mock draft feature. We currently have picks in the first, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh round.

EliteProspects #21 ranked player in their consolidated rankings is american forward Jimmy Snuggerud, ranked #19 by Bob McKenzie: Jimmy Snuggerud at eliteprospects.com

In their own ranking, the number #21 ranked player is RHD Sam Rinzel Sam Rinzel at eliteprospects.com, ranked #47 by Bob McKenzie

Who do you want?

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I wonder if we'd consider trading up or down?

It will be very difficult to trade up given that we don't have a 2nd or 3rd this year. So trading down might be a possibility.

Copying my post from the prospect thread, which is more applicable here.

At pick #21, there should be some very high skill/high upside players that could slide to us in that spot.

Here's a pretty thorough shortlist of players, of whom several may go earlier and the majority will fall to us, that people may want to keep their eyes on as the draft approaches. I'm pretty much 99.9% confident one of the players we select will be on this list:

Forwards:
- Isaac Howard
- Liam Ohgren
- Jagger Firkus
- Filip Mesar
- Julian Lutz
- Owen Beck
- Luca Del Bel Belluz
- David Goyette
- Frank Nazar
- 3 very high skill and risk/reward Russians (Gleb Trikozov, Alex Perevalov, Ivan Miroshnichenko)
- Jiri Kulich (unlikely)
- Marco Kaspar (very unlikely)
- Rutger McGroarty (very unlikely he falls, but wow if he does)
- Danila Yurov (highly doubtful, but wow if he does)

D:
- Denton Mateychuk (possible, but unlikely)
- Sam Rinzel
- Lian Bischel
- Elias Salamonsson
- Calle Odelius
- Tomas Hamara
- Michael Buchinger
- a couple of big guys with question marks (Maverick Lamoureux, Noah Warren, Tristan Luneau)
- and then some smaller high skill offensive types (Ty Nelson, Mattias Havelid, Seamus Casey, Christian Kyrou, etc.)

Reactions: HandshakeLine

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
There’s a kid named Jagger Firkus. So I pick him.

Really good player, and a VERY strong consideration if he's there at #21.

This draft is supposedly deep on D. Lets get it.

It is, although there are a few clear tiers emerging:

Nemec
Jiricek

Mintyukov
Korchinski
Pickering

Mateychuck

And then others in the list I posted above, beginning with Sam Rinzel and onwards.

So if we don't get Mateychuck or one of the top guys in the next tier (Rinzel, Salamonsson, Bichsel, Odelius), the BPA and/or the guy we're most likely to select in that case will be a forward.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ivan mirshnichenko is the guy i'm looking hard at. Peter Harling - Dobber Prospects - Mar. 20th: "Miroshnichenko was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma and will take time away from hockey during treatment. Depending on when he is NHL drafted and how long you want to stash him on your roster, he could be a good late round value, but with serious risk."
edit; he would be our shot at a top 4-5 player in the draft if he wasn't sick......get one of our top dr.s to check him out and start treatments.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah....if we're going to draft like that, we're f**ked, and this rebuild will crash and burn before it even starts.

We need to draft like Dallas, LA, Buffalo, Ottawa.....

Yes, Buffalo and Ottawa and their successful drafting..

Buffalo since the Eichel draft outside of the 1st round has basically nothing. And in the 1st round they've got not much outside of Cozens and their obvious 1st overalls.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah....if we're going to draft like that, we're f**ked, and this rebuild will crash and burn before it even starts.

We need to draft like Dallas, LA, Buffalo, Ottawa.....
All GMs, even the best, miss at times.

Hextall has proven to be measured and patient. Building over time and overall hitting more than missing. Rarely overpaying in trades and mostly his few trades have been loved by most.

Really the opposite of JR.

The Pens could do a lot worse. And most teams do.

His qualities are perfect for a team soon entering a rebuild.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
All GMs, even the best, miss at times.

Hextall has proven to be measured and patient. Building over time and overall hitting more than missing. Rarely overpaying in trades and mostly his few trades have been loved by most.

Really the opposite of JR.

The Pens could do a lot worse. And most teams do.

His qualities are perfect for a team soon entering a rebuild.

Yeah it would suck having Hextall and being a piece or two away from a great run, but he seems perfect for just not making big mistakes and calmly building up a team.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm not adverse to drafting Russians, but we'd better have a Šťastný-esque plan on getting them out of Russia at the moment, with their borders shut, diplomatic tensions high, and a war goin' on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Huh, Matyáš Šapovaliv is rated that high by some people? Weird. Must have gotten a lot better in the OHL than when he played for Beroun.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hextall and his staff have done relatively well at this position in Philly.

17 - Travis Sanheim
24 - Konecny
27 - Frost
Hopefully, Hextall won’t be here to make a pick.

Konecny was a great pick. The Sanheim pick was pretty lousy when you see the names that went after him.

You can’t go wrong at drafting any position since we need help across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad