2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 3 (#9, #16, #28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Love reading @Brock 's work. I still feel Edmonds should be on the Sabres radar as someone they could bring into the Amerks immediately.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
In my head a top 5 has emerged of Wright, Cooley, Slaf, Nemec, and Jiricek. I don’t think we’re getting any of those guys.

I’m flipping between Savoie and Nazar as my #6 and 7. Would be thrilled if either gets to our pick. 8 and 9, I have Kemell and Lekkerimaki. Gauthier and Geekie are tied for 10/11, but haven’t seen much of Yurov yet.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
In my head a top 5 has emerged of Wright, Cooley, Slaf, Nemec, and Jiricek. I don’t think we’re getting any of those guys.

I’m flipping between Savoie and Nazar as my #6 and 7. Would be thrilled if either gets to our pick. 8 and 9, I have Kemell and Lekkerimaki. Gauthier and Geekie are tied for 10/11, but haven’t seen much of Yurov yet.
I think I’m same

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I just saw a mock that had Nazar, Chesley and Casey mocked to us and we traded down for an extra second with Washington and grabbed Lorenz and Beck.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I'm frustrated by losing out on a chance at Nemec/Jiricek, but I'll be thrilled to have a choice of Lekkerimaki or Kemell at #9...Nazar also. I wouldn't take Gauthier over those two, but run up laughing to take him at #16.

Reactions: displacedsabre

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Like to see the Sabres grab the BPA at 9. I think Kemell, Nazar, and Lekkermiaki would be good picks there (if Jiricek is off the board).

If McGroarty or Ohgren are there at #16, I'd like one of them. Kasper is right there too. All three are hardworking, grinding, talented guys with some size. Sounds like they each have terrific leadership traits and intangibles. Ohgren and McGroarty were beasts for their respective teams in the gold medal game.

If Chesley or Casey are there at 32ish, either would be a good choice I think. There are also some good players that should be available at #41. Excited to see who they select.

Reactions: displacedsabre

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

This is a shocking and unexpected update :sarcasm:
Post automatically merged:

Watching U18's and between periods Button had his top 10...Cooley was 2 and Snuggerud was 9. They were only 2 US players in top 10. Lekki was 10

Yes, but they were using the ranking's from the last Craig's List, which is from mid-March. I expect him to release an updated ranking within a week or so, now that the tournament is over and before the draft lottery. TSN/Button usually do a a little mock draft bit for the non-lottery teams right after the lottery (within a day or few).

I would expect his rankings to change a fair bit after this tournament and considering it will be around 6 weeks between updated lists.

Here's the last one for reference:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So I very carefully watched the 2 games today (as in constantly rewinding shifts, etc.). It was just one viewing of FIN/CZE and SWE/USA, but here's few things I noted:

- A few players really impressed on the USA team: The guys who looked really good (besides Cooley) were McGroarty, Gauthier, Snuggerud, Howard, and Hutson. I also liked some of what I saw from Casey and Chesley, but there were also a few shifts I didn't like defensively, but that's par for the course for a Dman. Nazar had a beautiful goal, but aside from that he didn't impress me much or step up in a way I would have expected or hoped.

- Snuggerud and Gauthier both have power forward, scoring winger type elements to their game. Rutger McGroarty on the other hand, played a game that was somewhat reminiscent of JT Miller, in that he played somewhat of that power forward type game, but also that there was this overall "will" to put the team on his back and do whatever it took all over the ice -- offensively, defensively, power play, penalty kill -- that was just extremely impressive and hard to ignore, especially stepping up that way in a game of utmost importance. He stepped up his game the most out of anyone on the US team. He absolutely played like he should be the one wearing the C that was on his jersey.

- From today's viewings alone, I prefer Lekkerimaki to Kemell by quite a bit. Kemell is obviously an exceptional finisher and the puck seems to follow him around, but I don't think he's as mutli-dimensional offensively nor as good of either a playmaking (passing/vision) or play driver (creativity/dual threat scorer or passer, etc.) as Lekkerimaki. I feel like Kemell will be more reliant on his linemates to create plays that he can absolutely finish on, whereas Lekkerimaki will be more of a play driver and a dual-threat to score or set up plays. I also didn't think Kemell had that extra gear in his skating, and while Lekkerimaki is not an absolute burner skating wise either, he had noticeably better pace.

Another thought I have, and I know the major caveat is BPA and all of that, and not knowing what our needs may be in 2-4 years and beyond. But in thinking about how I would like to construct a team, and given who we already have on the team or in the system I would say the following:

I think it would be ideal to get another F with size and jam to their game with at least one of the top 2 picks. On the USA side (and likely the top prospects overall as well), I would seriously look at either Cutter Gauthier or Jimmy Snuggerud with the first pick; and/or McGroarty with the Vegas pick (or maybe McGroarty has stepped up his stock so much to warrant being worthy of consideration if pickinng 9/10/11 if we don't win the lottery). Before this tourney, McGroarty was not ranked in the same tier as Gauthier and Snuggerrud on most of the available scouting boards. That may be different now.

Of course it goes without saying that it would be great to get a RD as well, so will all of the above said, maybe something like the following would be ideal:

Scenario A: if Jiricek is gone, and Lekkerimaki & Kemmel are gone, go for a big F with the first pick and then another F with the VGK pick:

BUF pick: Snuggerud or Guathier or McGroarty
VGK pick: another one of Snuggerud/Gauthier/McGroarty, or a smaller skilled forward (Firkus, Howard, Mesar, or Savoie/Nazar if they fall)
FLA pick: best RHD available (Rinzel, Salamonsson, Havelid, Chesley, Warren, etc.)

Scenario B: if Jiricek is available and BUF likes him:

BUF pick: Jiricek
VGK pick: one of McGroarty/Snuggerrud/Gauthier
FLA pick: BPA

In summary, I just think that given 4 of the top 5 wingers on the team on 6" or under (Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Skinner) and the same can be said about some of the other good prospects in the system (Rosen, Kisakov, Poltapov, Huglen), I think it would be great to add some of those bigger guys at the top of the draft.

Reactions: Club

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Size and application of physical play is very much something light in the skill forwards for the Sabres, both on the roster and in their prospect stable. We see regularly how high-skill dirtbag teams are atop the East and that doesn't seem like that is likely to change soon.

Something else that may weigh in their draft outlook is how they went to the well for a number of smaller offensive players in the first two rounds last year. Rosen and Kisakov are both small and while Kemell and Lekkerimaki are both finishers, there is some redundancy there and even with Quinn and Peterka. None of that collection would be considered "big" by anyone. It's more of the idea of does weighting a position come into play if players are rated very closely, it seems possible they might use other elements to a player's game if they are ranked similarly with someone else to guide their choice.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Size and application of physical play is very much something light in the skill forwards for the Sabres, both on the roster and in their prospect stable. We see regularly how high-skill dirtbag teams are atop the East and that doesn't seem like that is likely to change soon.

Something else that may weigh in their draft outlook is how they went to the well for a number of smaller offensive players in the first two rounds last year. Rosen and Kisakov are both small and while Kemell and Lekkerimaki are both finishers, there is some redundancy there and even with Quinn and Peterka. None of that collection would be considered "big" by anyone. It's more of the idea of does weighting a position come into play if players are rated very closely, it seems possible they might use other elements to a player's game if they are ranked similarly with someone else to guide their choice.

My thoughts exactly. It's why I posted a what I did above about draft targets, and also a similar sentiment in the Olofsson thread about that player.

I don't know if either player will be available, but as examples: one UFA candidate I'd love to target is Nick Paul. And one trade candidate that I'd love to target (though I don't think ARI will trade him for the same reasons I'd want him here) is Lawson Crouse.

Not sure who else is out there that may fit from either a UFA or trade point of view, but it's something I would definitely try to address organizationally, both through the draft and more immediately if possible -- unless, as you said, in the case of the draft there is such a big gap between players. But if they're close, add size/grit/character to go along with the skill that's already here.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My thoughts exactly. It's why I posted a what I did above about draft targets, and also a similar sentiment in the Olofsson thread about that player.

I don't know if either player will be available, but as examples: one UFA candidate I'd love to target is Nick Paul. And one trade candidate that I'd love to target (though I don't think ARI will trade him for the same reasons I'd want him here) is Lawson Crouse.

Not sure who else is out there that may fit from either a UFA or trade point of view, but it's something I would definitely try to address organizationally, both through the draft and more immediately if possible -- unless, as you said, in the case of the draft there is such a big gap between players. But if they're close, add size/grit/character to go along with the skill that's already here.

It'll be interesting to see if the we see variation in the draft outcome this year over the first two from Adams that have featured a lot of smaller forwards early. Quinn, Peterka, Costantini, Konecny then Rosen, Kisakov, Poltapov (even if physical at his level), Sardaryan, Marajala, and Kozak are all on the small side. Bloom and Nadeau last year aren't as and maybe one could say Von Barkenow though his slight frame doesn't seem to lend itself to a quick uptick in bulk.

In their pro-contract prospects, Ruotsalainen, Weissbach and Biro are also small/quick players. Murray's really the only one with some mass and we don't know if he's going to be able to overcome his lack of footspeed and lack of aggression to make the transition as a Maroon type of forward.

All that to say, bigger but skilled forwards should be on their radar and while Geekie ticks a lot of boxes, I don't like that he needs external forces to get him going physically. Gauthier and Snuggerud both are in the category of guys who don't need someone else to light their fuse. Kasper has elements of this in his game from what I've seen too. Gaucher has them, though I'm not as enamored of him right now and probably need to take another look. McGroarty has some physical to his game but isn't big nor quick so he reminds me more of a ROR/Drury type who is hard to play against because of how he competes for the puck and battles to positions on the ice but not so much about how he applies his 200-ish lbs to others as much.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Grit, truculence with skill would go a long way. Gauthier, Snuggerud, McGroaty, Gaucher bring it with 1st round grades. Kasper doesn't fit that mode but doesn't back down and never bad getting a mid 6C that could potentially filter up. Nymen and Lorenz fit that upper 2nd round tier. Reid Schaefer would look great in the blue and gold on our bottom 6. Arnsby doesn't bring size but has leadership and will go hard at anyone.

Defensively it's pretty simple, Chesley is hard nosed and hits to hurt. Warren is big can play nasty. Leddy is simple, won't hurt you defensively and will take the body. I try to like Lamoureux, I really do but he's going too high and I just don't see much beyond a 5/6 at best

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Grit, truculence with skill would go a long way. Gauthier, Snuggerud, McGroaty, Gaucher bring it with 1st round grades. Kasper doesn't fit that mode but doesn't back down and never bad getting a mid 6C that could potentially filter up. Nymen and Lorenz fit that upper 2nd round tier. Reid Schaefer would look great in the blue and gold on our bottom 6. Arnsby doesn't bring size but has leadership and will go hard at anyone.

Defensively it's pretty simple, Chesley is hard nosed and hits to hurt. Warren is big can play nasty. Leddy is simple, won't hurt you defensively and will take the body. I try to like Lamoureux, I really do but he's going too high and I just don't see much beyond a 5/6 at best

I'm not as concerned about if they will pick size and physical play on the defensive side of the shop right now since they have so many different flavors at the pro level. It would be nice to get something coming up though, since we also know that having NONE of a particular position grooming on the farm is a shortcoming. That said... Warren continues to tick all sorts of boxes for me and I think there is offensive game there that could come out if he wasn't behind Luneau.

Also the caveat for me is that it isn't just getting some meatheads to play forward. It's finding meatheads who can also skate and play in the top 6 or top 9. Granted, I was also a little sad when Mutter signed with the Preds as a UDFA because he's a possible 4th line cruise missile who hits to punish and if one day a playoff series is happening, will be a guy who can wear out other teams' skill guys, following in the UDFA path of Jeannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad