2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Mark Edwards who runs hockeyprospect.com and posts on these boards said he has talked to many NHL scouts that have Geekie #2. 6’4 centres still get NHL GMs motors running.

Watching the U18s I just don’t see it with Nazar.

My hope is one of Jiricek or Savoie falls.

Reactions: displacedsabre

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
With all those teams demanding a center , I find it hard to believe they pass on a 6’ 4” one , especially hearing some teams have him as high as 2. If Geekie goes plus Wright , Cooley , Nemec , Slaf , and Jiricek and Nazar , that leaves us Savoie , Kemell, and Cutter depending on what Detroit does. I like Casper and would take him at 16, but if we pass on Savoie or Kemell for him I think they end up regretting that. Lambert is almost do not draft for me . We have a team of guys that finally fight for each other , we got rid of an egotistical self entitled poison pill and do not need another one. Just my 2 cents
Hard to envision a world where Geekie goes before Kemell

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Mark Edwards who runs hockeyprospect.com and posts on these boards said he has talked to many NHL scouts that have Geekie #2. 6’4 centres still get NHL GMs motors running.

Jiricek seems to have everyone's interest as almost a mystery box at this point with the injury. I'm curious to see if he does go to the WC's.

As for Savoie... perhaps I've over-watched him. I get what the criticisms are in his game and it's almost like having to just step back a moment to see if it's from over-viewing.

Right now - I see something like this in the top 7:

Wright
Cooley
Nemec
Slafkovsky
Jiricek
Geekie
Kemell

Then it gets interesting with Mateychuk and Korchinski rising on some people's assessments - I'm curious to see how they get placed by some of the bigger names in draft prediction - and do they push into that 6-10 range. Nazar and Savoie are in the mix in that next group as well and both offer some similar outcomes.

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
vegas pickwatch:

vancouver can pass vegas tonight and turn the vegas pick to #15 if vancouver wins (regulation or OT/SO) and vegas loses in regulation. vegas has the tiebreaker, so if vancouver loses, vegas wins, or vegas goes to OT, the vegas pick will remain #16.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd put my money on him being available at #8 -- but a lot of teams were happy when Rossi fell to their team, only to watch their GM pass over him. Could be a similiar situation with Savoie.
Could very well be, but if we're going BPA I would have to imagine Savoie looks a lot like BPA at #8 or #9. Just like Rossi did in hindsight but KA took his guy and we're all very happy with that result.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
With all those teams demanding a center , I find it hard to believe they pass on a 6’ 4” one , especially hearing some teams have him as high as 2. If Geekie goes plus Wright , Cooley , Nemec , Slaf , and Jiricek and Nazar , that leaves us Savoie , Kemell, and Cutter depending on what Detroit does. I like Casper and would take him at 16, but if we pass on Savoie or Kemell for him I think they end up regretting that. Lambert is almost do not draft for me . We have a team of guys that finally fight for each other , we got rid of an egotistical self entitled poison pill and do not need another one. Just my 2 cents
I can't imagine any teams having him over Cooley, Nemec and Jiricek. I mean maybe you're right. But I would take such rumors as suspect. A lot of people don't even have him in their top 10. He's 6'4 but really seen as having big holes and a project. He's a below average skater and looks on the slow side, all though has quick hands and shot. But in today's NHL those two things, bad skating and slow skating, can be a big warning sign against future success. Not that he can't overcome it or won't, or that he can't improve, but I just think it will hurt his draft stock as it probably should. All though to be fair, he's got immense skill in other areas and I think NHLCS has him as the #4 NA skater. So if teams think his skating can be fixed and that he'll gain enough speed when it is, yea I could see a team taking him in the 7-10 range. I just can't think of many players that have shown such skating deficiency and lack of speed, even if they have high end skill, to reach their ceiling lately in the NHL. I mean, he's considered just an average skater for the WHL... that just scares the heck out of me. I actually see some comps with Lafreniere honestly, along with Dylan Strome, and that's not necessarily a good thing given how Laf has struggled thus far. You could be right though. But I would certainly rather take my chances on Savoie, Kemmel etc..

I've seen a lot of mocks and rankings that have Geekie as low as 10-18 range. And the same for Cutter and Kasper. A few that have them higher. But Cutter seems to be falling in the 12-16 range, Kasper in the 12-20 range. Some have Lambert higher but I'm not in love with him and can see why some want to stay far away from him. Ohgren and Yurov are two guys I can see jumping up draft boards though as we get closer. And Matey, mostly for lack of other Defenders in the top 10 behind Nemec and Jiricek. And I think a lot of teams will pass on Minty's risk factors, at least until the mid 1st. Not sure really how those players will fall. But I'm definitely not enamored with Cutter either. Would feel much more comfortable if my team took Kemmel, Lekker,Yurov or even Ohgren. Guess we will see.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Could very well be, but if we're going BPA I would have to imagine Savoie looks a lot like BPA at #8 or #9. Just like Rossi did in hindsight but KA took his guy and we're all very happy with that result.
Yup. If Savoie still on the board at 8 or 9, would be hard for any team to pass him up. Which, I think is around where he will end up falling. In that 7-9 range.

Reactions: elchud

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I wouldn't trade the number 9 pick for Fiala because that player will be a bargain contract 24/25 through 26/27 and we will need that bargain contract with all the other guys getting paid.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

I don't know if Edwards has engaged in that type of stuff in the past, but honestly sounds more like a smoke screen to me to do a buddy GM a favor mixing the rumors up. A lot to like about Geekie but 2 is too high when you have Cooley, Jiri, Nemec, and Slaf available.

I'll be happy if that is the case though! Increases our odds at Nazar/Kemell. Also hoping some GM falls in love with one of the LHD before us.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Just to be that guy, two of Anaheim Columbus SanJose could win the lotteries and now we are picking 11th

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Would be cool to get both Chesley and Hutson.

I wonder if McGroarty is on the radar for the Vegas pick.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
Just to be that guy, two of Anaheim Columbus SanJose could win the lotteries and now we are picking 11th
Even worse , Vancouver and Vegas can win the lottery and move up to 5 and 6. Moving us down to 11 and pushing pick 16 into next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad