2022 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not calling out you personally, but your post brought this to mind: if this board is to be believed, there are about 13 guys who "will be gone" before we pick at 9.

Since there isn't a hivemind, I think we all have different ideas of who goes in the top 9/10.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
it's a while until summer but do you let 15/16 fall to you or use assets to grab a 2nd player you like and move up, even if you sacrifice the Fl or your 2nd rnd pick ?

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
If sabres draft Nazar at 9, Kasper at 16 and a D with Florida draft pick .

The team would look good in a couple o seasons without doing any ? Then we have rosen next years picks.

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Krebs Cozens Nazar
Peterka Kasper Quinn
Asplund Mittlestadt Olofsson
Girgensons

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Casey
Bryson Jokiharju
Fitzgerald

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Because teams don't trade down from the top ten.
I'm not advocating for trading up into the top 10. I'm saying they move up 3-4 spots to secure the guy they know they want. They have the draft capital. Who knows what their tiers are at this point. They could see a big drop off after their first 11 guys for all we know. If that 11th guy is sitting there at 12, they should go up and get him in my opinion. Say the first 15 picks are; Wright, Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Savoie, Nazar, Kemell, Geekie, Lekkerimaki, Gautier, Kasper, Lambert, Yurov and Chesley. I'm not sure anyone leftover is a guy most would be happy with at that pick. You're left over with the LHD, Ohgren, McGroarty. Guys that aren't super appealing at that pick. Say Gautier or Kasper are sitting there at 13. You wouldn't trade a 3rd to move up and get him? I personally wouldn't take the chances of staying put. I guess point I'm making is that if there is a guy there at 12/13 that they really like, they should move up and secure him. They have the capital and believe this is the year/pick to do it with.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm not advocating for trading up into the top 10. I'm saying they move up 3-4 spots to secure the guy they know they want. They have the draft capital.
I don't at all disagree with you, but it's extremely hard if not impossible to get these teams to deal these picks. I remember the 2014 draft when even Tim Murray was talking about using all three of the seconds to get back into the 1st round, and no one wanted to move their 1sts. I don't remember who he was after, or if he even said. I just know we should have taken Brayden Point with one of the five selections we wasted before he went 79th following a 91pt season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't at all disagree with you, but it's extremely hard if not impossible to get these teams to deal these picks. I remember the 2014 draft when even Tim Murray was talking about using all three of the seconds to get back into the 1st round, and no one wanted to move their 1sts. I don't remember who he was after, or if he even said. I just know we should have taken Brayden Point with one of the five selections we wasted before he went 79th following a 91pt season.

He wanted Larkin in 2014 from what the scuttlebutt was afterward and couldn't get back into the first round.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
it's a while until summer but do you let 15/16 fall to you or use assets to grab a 2nd player you like and move up, even if you sacrifice the Fl or your 2nd rnd pick ?
I think it depends on what picks might be available to trade for and what players could be available there. If they see someone who they feel is a game changer at say 10/11 and one of those picks is available then it could be worth it. Otherwise I don't know if there is enough of a gap between the players available at say 10 -12 vs the players you can get at 15/16.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not sure trading back isn't a good idea, especially if they want to spend some picks on goalies / veteran defense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm 99% positive the target was Tuch.

Could be. He was also a 2014 guy. We also had Murray talking about that he couldn't use all those picks. He wasn't creative with what he did with them, instead just stuffing an extra piece seemingly into ever single deal.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Could be. He was also a 2014 guy. We also had Murray talking about that he couldn't use all those picks. He wasn't creative with what he did with them, instead just stuffing an extra piece seemingly into ever single deal.
Darcy could have used them all I'm sure. What kind of GM says he can't use a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
First time all season I'm hoping we lose. Sens and Wings have easy matchups, we could finish with pick 7 pre lotto

OTL is what I'm hoping for. I think that will clinch 8th overall.

I mentioned this before, if you look at the complete lottery history we have lost a total of 7 draft positions combined. So if we finish 8th it is only just and fair to win the lottery and make it square.

Reactions: jcbeze

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
If sabres draft Nazar at 9, Kasper at 16 and a D with Florida draft pick .

The team would look good in a couple o seasons without doing any ? Then we have rosen next years picks.

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Krebs Cozens Nazar
Peterka Kasper Quinn
Asplund Mittlestadt Olofsson
Girgensons

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Casey
Bryson Jokiharju
Fitzgerald

Really don't see any chance whatsoever that Nazar lasts until 9. Personally think he's the 3rd best center in the draft and expect mocks to reflect that as we get closer to the draft. Savoie still not sold will play center long term and even if he did, I would still rate Nazar higher. And Nazar might have the highest ceiling of any of them. Pretty sure he will be gone by pick 7 the latest, but could see him being taken at 5 or 6. A lot of these mocks I think are way off. Like, as good as Slaf might be, not sure any team would take him over Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek. And frankly, wouldn't take him over Nazar either unless the team drafting badly, badly needs a power forward and is set at center and D. Maybe the Habs or Devils if they end up with pick 5 or 6 would take him over Nazar? Not sure, think Habs will be going C or D though along with most of the top 5. So Devils prob best bet to take a winger first as they probably the only team that will be picking that high to be set at center and D in terms of prospects. There's some decent wingers in the mid-1st and maybe latter 1st, so I could see a team trading down possibly to add more picks.

Just my guesses as far as team needs. Not that they wouldn't take a winger if they feel BPA. But if they had a choice:
Habs, C/D, Kraken C/D, Yotes C/D, Devils W, CBJ D, Flyers C/D, Sabres C, Sharks C/W/D, Wings C/W, Sens C/W/D, Ducks W/D, NYI C/W/D, WPJ W/D.

For Sabres, think it's going to come down to Savoie, Lambert , Geekie or Kasper if they end up picking around 8, 9, 10. Geekie just has too much Dylan Strome in him for me, I'd be concerned if my team grabbed him. Savoie probably does have the highest ceiling of this group, but again, just don't see lasting at center. But he might end up being BPA at that point, so a team might cross their fingers and hope he can adjust to center at highest level. Unless they think like Kemmel or Lekker can transition to center or something, but a lot of the mocks have Kemmel 2-4 picks higher than I see him going ultimately. I see Kemmel listed as center on a couple of boards but as far as I know, he's predominantly a winger, same with Lekker. If Nazar is still on the board at 9, then at least 3 teams F'd up something awful letting him slide. Lambert might be the best bet for a surefire center. All though he's had a weird year and seems to be falling down boards a bit. Unless someone like McGroarty or Mesar rises up the boards heading into the draft.

Sabres definitely don't need more wingers right now. And D, Matey maybe? Minty just.... huge offensive potential, but remind me of Quinn Hughes with worse defense.

But really, I think ultimately it comes down to Lambert, Kasper or Geekie for the Sabres. Some of the mocks I've been reading seem ridiculous having guys like Lambert, Kemmel and Geekie way higher than I would feel comfortable drafting them, and Nazar way too low.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabresbyswords104

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sure. What I’m getting at though is how convinced people are. I just don’t understand being convinced about anything with this draft class.
He was #3 on Bob's list, which isn't a perfect list, but the best reflection of actual NHL teams positions that we have. If that manny NHL scouts had him at #3, then it's probably a safe best that he's going in the top 8 or whatever.

Sounds like it might be time for a poll soon?

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
The EP Consolidated Ranking has him 6th, so I can't imagine "most lists" have him top 3. All the lists I looked at have him between 6-11 except for McKenzie who does list him 3rd.
Reminder that it's not McKenzie's list. It's the average rankings from 10 NHL GMs, so probably more indicative of where a player will be drafted than the various scouting reports publish.

displacedsabre

Feb 14, 2016
Really don't see any chance whatsoever that Nazar lasts until 9. Personally think he's the 3rd best center in the draft and expect mocks to reflect that as we get closer to the draft. Savoie still not sold will play center long term and even if he did, I would still rate Nazar higher. And Nazar might have the highest ceiling of any of them. Pretty sure he will be gone by pick 7 the latest, but could see him being taken at 5 or 6. A lot of these mocks I think are way off. Like, as good as Slaf might be, not sure any team would take him over Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek. And frankly, wouldn't take him over Nazar either unless the team drafting badly, badly needs a power forward and is set at center and D. Maybe the Habs or Devils if they end up with pick 5 or 6 would take him over Nazar? Not sure, think Habs will be going C or D though along with most of the top 5. So Devils prob best bet to take a winger first as they probably the only team that will be picking that high to be set at center and D in terms of prospects. There's some decent wingers in the mid-1st and maybe latter 1st, so I could see a team trading down possibly to add more picks.

Just my guesses as far as team needs. Not that they wouldn't take a winger if they feel BPA. But if they had a choice:
Habs, C/D, Kraken C/D, Yotes C/D, Devils W, CBJ D, Flyers C/D, Sabres C, Sharks C/W/D, Wings C/W, Sens C/W/D, Ducks W/D, NYI C/W/D, WPJ W/D.

For Sabres, think it's going to come down to Savoie, Lambert , Geekie or Kasper if they end up picking around 8, 9, 10. Geekie just has too much Dylan Strome in him for me, I'd be concerned if my team grabbed him. Savoie probably does have the highest ceiling of this group, but again, just don't see lasting at center. But he might end up being BPA at that point, so a team might cross their fingers and hope he can adjust to center at highest level. Unless they think like Kemmel or Lekker can transition to center or something, but a lot of the mocks have Kemmel 2-4 picks higher than I see him going ultimately. I see Kemmel listed as center on a couple of boards but as far as I know, he's predominantly a winger, same with Lekker. If Nazar is still on the board at 9, then at least 3 teams F'd up something awful letting him slide. Lambert might be the best bet for a surefire center. All though he's had a weird year and seems to be falling down boards a bit. Unless someone like McGroarty or Mesar rises up the boards heading into the draft.

Sabres definitely don't need more wingers right now. And D, Matey maybe? Minty just.... huge offensive potential, but remind me of Quinn Hughes with worse defense.

But really, I think ultimately it comes down to Lambert, Kasper or Geekie for the Sabres. Some of the mocks I've been reading seem ridiculous having guys like Lambert, Kemmel and Geekie way higher than I would feel comfortable drafting them, and Nazar way too low.
With all those teams demanding a center , I find it hard to believe they pass on a 6’ 4” one , especially hearing some teams have him as high as 2. If Geekie goes plus Wright , Cooley , Nemec , Slaf , and Jiricek and Nazar , that leaves us Savoie , Kemell, and Cutter depending on what Detroit does. I like Casper and would take him at 16, but if we pass on Savoie or Kemell for him I think they end up regretting that. Lambert is almost do not draft for me . We have a team of guys that finally fight for each other , we got rid of an egotistical self entitled poison pill and do not need another one. Just my 2 cents

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I understand that it is unlikely that something like this will work out, but it would be ideal for me.

3424234.png

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Vegas has St. Louis left and really don’t inspire any confidence. Maybe the banged up guys sit out. Vancouver has LA and Edmonton both with nothing to play for. Slight chance Vancouver can leapfrog Vegas and make that pick 15

Welp, Canucks came storming back to beat LA in OT. So still a chance at #15
Both Oilers and Blues could rest some players tonight for sure.

VGK @ Blues
Canucks @ Oilers
Sabres vs hawks
Wings @ Devils
Sens @ Flyers

Would be nice if one of the spots made a jump up

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Welp, Canucks came storming back to beat LA in OT. So still a chance at #15
Both Oilers and Blues could rest some players tonight for sure.

VGK @ Blues
Canucks @ Oilers
Sabres vs hawks
Wings @ Devils
Sens @ Flyers

Would be nice if one of the spots made a jump up
The Blues still have a chance at home ice in their series with Minny, so they might try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad