Draft 2022 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Does anyone have a line on where you can watch day 2 of the draft in the U.S. this year if you don’t have NHL network? Last year some posted a way that worked and I can’t remember how.

Usually NHL.Com has a stream going in conjunction with TSN. It's mostly just talking heads with a heavy emphasis on the Canadian Teams and they'll occasionally look over a pick.

It's decent coverage.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Vancouver Canucks Scouting Staff getting ready for the draft.
Some of the music is hilarious. I thought at any moment the lights would go out and we’d be ask to solve a murder mystery.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The draftsim's up again.

First run-through, using McKenzie's rankings, i got the following:
63. RW Adam Sykora
111. RW Nicholas Moldenhauer
159. C Jere Lassila
191. LD Jake Furlong

The other guy i was looking at with 63 was Jani Nyman, but Sykora was just too tempting

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The draftsim's up again.

63. RW Adam Sykora
159. C Jere Lassila
191. LD Jake Furlong

The other guy i was looking at with 63 was Jani Nyman, but Sykora was just too tempting
I feel like Sykora is a name several of us here are going to be keyed in on and then he’ll end up getting picked in the late first.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Usually NHL.Com has a stream going in conjunction with TSN. It's mostly just talking heads with a heavy emphasis on the Canadian Teams and they'll occasionally look over a pick.

It's decent coverage.
Agree 100% w 1 st paragraph

Disagree w last sentence, that day 2 coverage is decent. They barely pay attention to the draft, or activity going on around them. The 'ticker' of picks stays almost current, but for 10+ years i've been amazed they haven't tried, at all, to make day 2 more about the actual draft picks, and activity, going on while on-air, unless it involves the 7 Canada teams or a Canadian prospect or connection of interest. And even then, no effort to be prompt, they get to it when they wrap the tangent- of-the-moment, like who will be Ottawa's 4th string G, or the 12 year old brother of a 4th round pick from rural Saskatchewan

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
Win-now Rangers in very different NHL Draft position

No. 63 is the only pick the Rangers have through the first three rounds. They’ll also draft in the fourth round at No. 111, which was originally the Jets’ pick but made its way to New York via the Golden Knights as part of the Brett Howden trade. The Rangers also have pick No. 159 in the fifth round and No. 191 in the sixth.
The Rangers have had at least eight and as many as 10 picks in each of the past four entry drafts. The fact that they have just four this year indicates their priorities have shifted to the here and now rather than the developing of young talent. It’s possible Drury could use their four selections as deal sweeteners for assets who could help the Rangers make another playoff run.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hope the Russia think affects prospects and we can get Michkov next year.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The draftsim's up again.

63. RW Adam Sykora
159. C Jere Lassila
191. LD Jake Furlong

This can not happen, 2 rw with our first two picks and finally a center at 159 and finally a ld at 191!! It would be the most Ranger use of the draft i have to say though lol

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This can not happen, 2 rw with our first two picks and finally a center at 159 and finally a ld at 191!! It would be the most Ranger use of the draft i have to say though lol

Sykora was the BPA on the board by a fair margin at that pick. Moldenhauer was the best player on the board at that pick by both McKenzie's rankings and those of HockeyProspect.com's Black book (HPBB rank 79, next highest on board was LW Alexis Gendron at 106). The other 2 i just kinda went by McKenzie's rankings

I feel like Sykora is a name several of us here are going to be keyed in on and then he’ll end up getting picked in the late first.
I am expecting nothing, and i will still be let down.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Kent Hughes and Vincent Lacavalier on 2022 Draft.
French and English.
When asked if they would trade the pick, Hughes smiles and responded “… something that we could talk about after the draft”.
15:20 mark

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Draftsim draft part 2, McKenzie rankings again

63. C Gleb Trikozov, MHL Omskie Yastreby (HPBB ranking: 18 [but have him as a RW, not C], McKenzie 57)
111. RD Noah Warren, QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques (HPBB 48, McKenzie 41 no idea what happened there)
159. LW Kirill Dolzhenkov, MHL Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (HPBB 96, McKenzie 77)
191. C Ilya Rogovsky, MHL Loko Yaroslavl (Not even in HPBB, McKenzie 169)

weird draft, lots of MHLers ended up being top guys on the board. Could be an underscouted/drafted region due to the Ukraine situation(?)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I wouldn't take anyone from Russia in the first three rounds of the draft. Until teams know they'll be allowed to come over, I wouldn't invest anything more than that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I wonder if its smart by Drury to use the few assets he have to trade for picks in 2023 instead. GMs are so short sighted, seems like you always get much more when its a DP 1 or 2 years down the road.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hope the Russia think affects prospects and we can get Michkov next year.

I hope the Russia thing ends and kids who want to play hockey in the best league in the world can without fear.

I wouldn't take anyone from Russia in the first three rounds of the draft. Until teams know they'll be allowed to come over, I wouldn't invest anything more than that.

I would run to the podium for Miroshnichenko, Yurov, or Trikozov at #63. All 3 are worth the risk.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if its smart by Drury to use the few assets he have to trade for picks in 2023 instead. GMs are so short sighted, seems like you always get much more when its a DP 1 or 2 years down the road.

2023 is a great draft in the first round, but after that it pretty much evens out compared to this year. If the picks we acquire are 2nd round or later, what's the point?

Reactions: QJL

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stop. The Rangers first pick is 63. You have to go BPA there. You can’t go center or bust when there are over sixty picks before your first.

That being said, best “centers” at 63 to hope for might be Gustafson or Ludwinski. I’d take Sykora over both if all three are on the board but I think Sykora stock has gone up a bit. The two Green Bay guys, Lund and Greene are interesting to me. I like Kyrou too. Would basically replace Nils in the system if Nils is traded and restart the clock on that.

But again, at 63 you are at the mercy of everyone else so you really have to stick to your board.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Give me Poitras or Karabela at 63 please. I would also like them to take a flier on Samuel Savoie with one of the later picks if he lasts long enough.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
The Athletic has Lambert dropping all the way to 28. If he really does drop that far I could see NYR & Buff working on a deal for NYR to get a deal into the 28th spot. Maybe Lundkvist straight up for 28 or a slight+. After Dahlin-Power, don't think they have too much in terms of D depth, and they have 2 earlier first round picks. They also have Miroshnichenko going 31 to the Lightning, I know NYR don't need another winger but if they get in at 28 and Lambert is gone I might take the swing on him despite the lymphoma if NYR did their due diligence.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Athletic has Lambert dropping all the way to 28. If he really does drop that far I could see NYR & Buff working on a deal for NYR to get a deal into the 28th spot. Maybe Lundkvist straight up for 28 or a slight+. After Dahlin-Power, don't think they have too much in terms of D depth, and they have 2 earlier first round picks. They also have Miroshnichenko going 31 to the Lightning, I know NYR don't need another winger but if they get in at 28 and Lambert is gone I might take the swing on him despite the lymphoma if NYR did their due diligence.
He was 16th on McKenzie's final rankings, so I'd be a bit skeptical of thinking he'd fall that far. There's been a ton of smoke heading into the draft, so it'll be curious to see which kids end up falling. I think we're going to be surprised at kids like Kasper, Gaucher, and Östlund going higher than initially projected

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
"The slight majority of my information from league sources is Montreal will take Slafkovsky with the top pick, but there are still quite a few league personnel who believe it will be Shane Wright. In my experience with the draft, when players start trending in one direction late in the process, they tend to keep trending, and right now a majority of the league sources I talk to are discussing Slafkovsky as the best player in the draft. I don’t believe Montreal’s positional needs play a large factor in this decision even if obviously NHL teams prefer centers and defensemen. The Canadiens lost 60 games last season — they have needs everywhere."

Maybe the talk of Slafkovsky going 1st isn't just the media trying to build hype for the draft 😳

Reactions: I Eat Crow

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
"The slight majority of my information from league sources is Montreal will take Slafkovsky with the top pick, but there are still quite a few league personnel who believe it will be Shane Wright. In my experience with the draft, when players start trending in one direction late in the process, they tend to keep trending, and right now a majority of the league sources I talk to are discussing Slafkovsky as the best player in the draft. I don’t believe Montreal’s positional needs play a large factor in this decision even if obviously NHL teams prefer centers and defensemen. The Canadiens lost 60 games last season — they have needs everywhere."

Maybe the talk of Slafkovsky going 1st isn't just the media trying to build hype for the draft 😳

Well considering that McKenzie's List (which is built off of actual scout input) had him at #1 over Wright, it isn't just hype.

I will still believe that Montreal does it when I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad