HF Habs: 2022 NHL Draft 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
He'll be great.

He's been really good in these playoffs, including defensively. He's only 17 too.

He's going to be quite the playmaking D. Effortless skills.

I know there is so much smoke and mirrors right now but I saw that Seattle was considering him at 3. For him to go ahead of both Nemec and Jiricek speaks volumes to his potential. Or it could all be bs.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Not only Caufield but Suzuki did not shine in WJC. A player should be judged on their complete development process and how they perform in their respective leagues. Sure tournaments are important however a 9-1 blowout where someone scores 3 goals is not a career! (re Armia)
exactly....if not, scouts need only scout tournaments, make their list and voila.....doesn't work like that. I'm no scout but I know damn well there are so many other moving parts and rocks that need to be turned to get a full picture of a prospect.

Not discounting tournaments, it's great to see players shine, you just need much more.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

So Pronman believes the difference of 10 points is a reason to place a winger 3 spots ahead of a two-way centre?

It's also a terrible projection of Slafkovsky. He has not shown the ability at any level to score 40 goals lmao. But even if we gave him that.. his playmaking doesn't really break 30 assists a year unless hes playing with McDavid level talents.

Edit: thinking about it again.. let's say Slafkovsky scores 40 and he has Wright at 30. He thinks in his projection that the winger Slafkovsky is going to add 40 assists and match the center in Wright in assists.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Sorry boys you have me on the McCagg slander train. Read this if you want to roll on the floor laughing:

He compares Laine to Mario and says he's not far off his level. This article is gold from top to bottom. Reminds me of a certain Slaf vs. Wright debate, even if Matthews and Laine were far superior prospects.
Thing is McCagg is not necessarily wrong about Laine's skill level at 18. Issue is Laine hasn't improved since then while Matthews improved every summer.

Matthews improved greatly year over year. You can clearly tell he worked on his game in the off-season. Skating, all aspects of shooting, physical strength, Matthews is a freaking beast now. He has the Crosby work ethic of using the off-season to improve something about himself and his game whether that's skating, shooting, faceoffs, etc.

Laine hasn't improved much at all. His development stalled, which frankly, is his fault as I don't think he put the work into it.

So if Slafkovsky has the work ethic to achieve improvements then he'll be a beast. If he doesn't, he'll be more like Laine.

But, the same can be said about Wright.

This is the beginning of their careers not the end.

What they do from here on will matter a lot more than what they did in the past.

They are all skilled, but who has the will to succeed and the work ethic to make it happen?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Highlights -

NJD scouting director admits that after the draft, there's players who were taken after that could be considered better than Hischier but they are still happy with the pick. Hischier checked the boxes they wanted.

Mentioned that sometimes the floor when picking 1 is important and you need to make the decision you can live with.

About 50% over the last 20 years that the 1st overall pick is the best player from the draft class.

Hischier and Wright have a lot of comparisons.

If we had Hischier with Suzuki, I'd be happy with that.. and if Wright finds his pre-pandemic form and grows exponentially? You win with that.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I know there is so much smoke and mirrors right now but I saw that Seattle was considering him at 3. For him to go ahead of both Nemec and Jiricek speaks volumes to his potential. Or it could all be bs.
I wondered about that in an earlier thread actually. Seattle could always move back to take him. He's already playing in Seattle, or they could just take him at #4.

I think we'll see a lot of movement in the 1st round, as teams try to get players they want/like.

Both NJD and Ottawa have explicitly said their picks are for sale either straight up for an NHL player that will help them improve or in a move back situation.

Good news is neither Ottawa or NJ are tanking next year.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wondered about that in an earlier thread actually. Seattle could always move back to take him. He's already playing in Seattle, or they could just take him at #4.

I think we'll see a lot of movement in the 1st round, as teams try to get players they want/like.

Both NJD and Ottawa have explicitly said their picks are for sale either straight up for an NHL player that will help them improve or in a move back situation.

Good news is neither Ottawa or NJ are tanking next year.

New Jersey is making the play-offs next year if they find any competent goaltending.

New Jersey's rebuild has been fantastic and lucky. They are the biggest existential threat to our rebuild.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
exactly....if not, scouts need only scout tournaments, make their list and voila.....doesn't work like that. I'm no scout but I know damn well there are so many other moving parts and rocks that need to be turned to get a full picture of a prospect.

Not discounting tournaments, it's great to see players shine, you just need much more.
I think hockey scouting is almost as unpredictable as baseball scouting. How many times have we heard the “can’t miss tag” on a player and it just doesn’t pan out. Not always the player’s fault ( unless lack of work ethic) it’s all opinions and conjecture. Hopefully you make the right move so you’re not excoriated by the press and fandom. If you’re wrong you get the pink slip, this is life.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
New Jersey is making the play-offs next year if they find any competent goaltending.

New Jersey's rebuild has been fantastic and lucky. They are the biggest existential threat to our rebuild.
How do they threaten our rebuild?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It's also a terrible projection of Slafkovsky. He has not shown the ability at any level to score 40 goals lmao. But even if we gave him that.. his playmaking doesn't really break 30 assists a year unless hes playing with McDavid level talents.

Edit: thinking about it again.. let's say Slafkovsky scores 40 and he has Wright at 30. He thinks in his projection that the winger Slafkovsky is going to add 40 assists and match the center in Wright in assists.
Slafkovsky's playmaking and vision is a strong component of his game actually. They're more advanced then his current shooting skills, which are good but not elite. He has a really good backhand though, and can lift it in close.

I can see a 25g, 40a season in his future.
Ditto Wright.

Their offensive floors are not dissimilar.

Question is who improves the most over the next 3 years?

For all we know, Nemec, Korchinski, Jiricek, Mesar or Ostlund all have huge development swings that leave both of them in their dust by D+3.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Kevin Korchinski impresses me a lot. His puckhandling and passing are superb, but what impresses me the most is how he often moves to displace defensive boxes on offense. Pretty sure he'll be a good offensive D in the pros.
He currently sits at #10 on my list.

—--

6- Lambert

7 - Savoie

8 - Kemell

9- Lekkerimaki

10- Korchinski

——

I've been impressed by his game from my first viewing.

He's exactly the kind of D we need to complete our D squad (elite PP QB). But sadly, he'll be long gone even if we try to move up. I mean, unless we move up to get a pick between 10-15 maybe. But even then, I'm not sure he'll still be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Highlights -

NJD scouting director admits that after the draft, there's players who were taken after that could be considered better than Hischier but they are still happy with the pick. Hischier checked the boxes they wanted.

Mentioned that sometimes the floor when picking 1 is important and you need to make the decision you can live with.

About 50% over the last 20 years that the 1st overall pick is the best player from the draft class.

If we had Hischier with Suzuki, I'd be happy with that.. and if Wright finds his pre-pandemic form and grows exponentially? You win with that.
I like the "could be considered".

Makar is DEFINITELY better than Hischier.

It's entirely possible that NEITHER Wright or Slafkovsky end up as the best players from this draft.

Reactions: Addik04

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How do they threaten our rebuild?

Because they are going to be in their prime as we hit ours. Hughes, Sharangovich, Holtz, Hischier, Mercer, Bratt, L. Hughes, 2nd OA. That's a hell of a core.

Slafkovsky's playmaking and vision is a strong component of his game actually. They're more advanced then his current shooting skills, which are good but not elite. He has a really good backhand though, and can lift it in close.

I can see a 25g, 40a season in his future.
Ditto Wright.

Their offensive floors are not dissimilar.

Question is who improves the most over the next 3 years?

For all we know, Nemec, Korchinski, Jiricek, Mesar or Ostlund all have huge development swings that leave both of them in their dust by D+3.

Eh I love Slafkovsky as much as anyone not named Goldenhands and his playmaking and vision are not a strong part of his game. I haven't seen a high level pass from him at any level. A lot of his playmaking is simply take the perimeter rush and then throwing the puck back or into the slot. It's not strong or very translatable right now.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Because they are going to be in their prime as we hit ours. Hughes, Sharangovich, Holtz, Hischier, Mercer, Bratt, L. Hughes, 2nd OA. That's a hell of a core.

Ah, gotcha, so not really threaten our rebuild but our biggest threat as/after we rebuild. That makes more sense.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Why do you keep bringing up Barzal like it’s some kind of proof that Slaf is great? Do you think Roman Cervenka is better than Barzal? Is Mikko Lehtonen better than Thomas Chabot? Is Denis Malgin better than David Pastrnak?

Short tournaments prove nothing. He played well, but it wasn’t enough to erase his lacklustre Liiga season.
Don't forget KHL Kazakhstan who finished 3rd last ahead of only Italy and Great Britain.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Eh I love Slafkovsky as much as anyone not named Goldenhands and his playmaking and vision are not a strong part of his game. I haven't seen a high level pass from him at any level. A lot of his playmaking is simply take the perimeter rush and then throwing the puck back or into the slot. It's not strong or very translatable right now.
That’s what I see as well. He always opts for a short pass, and if he’s pressured, he defaults to protecting the puck and cycling. There’s nothing spectacular about his playmaking. He does what he needs to do and nothing more.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Highlights -

Having Hughes and Hischier is what gives the Devils the opportunity to take a chance on projects such as Slafkovsky. The Habs can’t take that chance. Heck those two centres picked by NJ makes everyone forget that they completely flubbed on centres Zacha and McLeod just before.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I hope that if we find a way to trade up for Ottawa pick, it's for David Jiricek (But Ottawa would be dump to let Wright and Jiricek to MTL)

It will be interesting to see what HuGo thinks about Primeau. With his current AHL run, he could be an interesting asset for some teams IF they don’t think he fits long term here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad