Red Sox/MLB 2022 MLB Off Season - Bogaerts has made the decision to opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Likewise, agree here; I don't see NYY playing with any top shortstop. If they're not keeping their homegrown superstar I expect them to do a short-term, high AAV deal with DeGrom or Verlander. They've seemed perfectly content to roll with kids in their middle infield and I don't see Cashman panicking unless Steinbrenner threatens to fire him unless he gets a big name SS.
Yanks are going all-in on Judge and if he does choose the Giants it'll be fascinating to see how Cashman pivots.

They don't really need a shortstop because Volpe will be up by mid-season at latest (and I don't think they're going to screw with his development switching him to 2B or 3B). I see them chasing Bellinger (I think they do that even if Judge is in the fold) or perhaps giving Brantley a 1 or 2 year high money deal to bridge the gap. Because other than the unknown entity that is Yoshida, there are no outfielders on the market beyond Judge who will move the Yankees' needle one bit. I could see them bringing on Belt or Bell as a DH to get some power back in the lineup, but the more I look at it, they're not going to be able to replace Judge.

I kind of see them the same way the Bruins looked all offseason where if Bergeron retired it was a bridge year to reset the cap and not compete, but if he committed to coming back it's time to load up and run it back for a shot at the championship. If the Yanks resign Judge, they're going all in, probably winning the division again, and will be competing with the Astros again for the pennant. If Judge leaves, they could be fine and could get a WC spot, but they might just want to reset their luxury tax number and wait for next year to start building up again.

Reactions: CDJ and SoupNazi

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Likewise, agree here; I don't see NYY playing with any top shortstop. If they're not keeping their homegrown superstar I expect them to do a short-term, high AAV deal with DeGrom or Verlander. They've seemed perfectly content to roll with kids in their middle infield and I don't see Cashman panicking unless Steinbrenner threatens to fire him unless he gets a big name SS.
Bogearts to me could play one or two year at SS then switch to 3B for Yankees

I’d go
Dodgers
Phillies
Yankees
Seattle

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I kind of see them the same way the Bruins looked all offseason where if Bergeron retired it was a bridge year to reset the cap and not compete, but if he committed to coming back it's time to load up and run it back for a shot at the championship. If the Yanks resign Judge, they're going all in, probably winning the division again, and will be competing with the Astros again for the pennant. If Judge leaves, they could be fine and could get a WC spot, but they might just want to reset their luxury tax number and wait for next year to start building up again.
This is about the way I see it, as well. I just can't see them blowing past the luxury tax thresholds in a panic move, because letting their homegrown star - two months removed from setting the AL HR record - walk and then turning around and giving equivalent money to a Boegarts or Correa is going to cause some ill-will among their fans.

That said, I'd enjoy seeing Judge leave because I wish the Yankees nothing but misery.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
A full season of Casas will provide power, but if Bogey leaves and with JD leaving they do have a slugging deficit they need to address.

Now, if Hosmer and Bobby platoon at first, I could see them combining for 30-40 HR and 40-50 doubles between them, which is more than acceptable from the position. You still want some power from RF and SS though.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
How can the same franchise people so mind bogglingly stupid year after year with their own players?

Lester should've been a wake up call to them. He basically pleaded to stay, just to be paid fairly. The offer he got was nothing short of a slap in the face.

We can dispute Mookie all we want, but there was no chance he was signing an extension here prior to FA unless they offered him banana land money. Wasn't going to get done with the shitty offers they made him initially. Devers looks to be going the same way.

Pay the guys who you know can succeed here.

You can't have a top 3 expensive tickets and then run yourself like a poverty franchise. At some point the goodwill and inherent fandom is going to stop.

They're more like an economist with a gambling problem. They're obsessed with getting value, but every once in a while they fall off the wagon and can't afford to pay their mortgage.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Yeah he's gone.

If it's something like a 5 year deal...my god you're allowed to give a guy an extra year and deal with it down the road when they fall off.

If the Padres want to be stupid and throw 8 years at him? I don't blame them.

However, if they aren't truly willing to keep their own guys right now, sell all vets and totally rebuild, there's no reason to keep them.

I wouldn't even mind them hardballing their guys if they'd at least be consistent about it. It's all the abrupt change in course that this franchise does that I can't stand. After they let Lester walk they reacted by panicking and giving more money to David Price (7/217) than Lester took from the Cubs (6/155).

One offseason they go on about needing to tighten the belts and let beloved franchise players walk, the next offseason hey let's give Pablo Sandoval $95 million. Then they have to cut money and lose more beloved players in the process. Then they'll sign someone they don't need to too much money, and the beat goes on.
This is exactly what they do.

Sign Story to fill a huge hole at 2B....but then don't want to extend for Bogaerts the next year.

I wouldn't even mind them hardballing their guys if they'd at least be consistent about it. It's all the abrupt change in course that this franchise does that I can't stand. After they let Lester walk they reacted by panicking and giving more money to David Price (7/217) than Lester took from the Cubs (6/155).

One offseason they go on about needing to tighten the belts and let beloved franchise players walk, the next offseason hey let's give Pablo Sandoval $95 million. Then they have to cut money and lose more beloved players in the process. Then they'll sign someone they don't need to too much money, and the beat goes on.
This is exactly what they do.

Sign Story to fill a huge hole at 2B....but then don't want to extend for Bogaerts the next year.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Unless ownership steps in, and makes the decision that they don't want to take the PR hit, I could see both Bogaerts and Devers leaving.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
If X goes they can't let Devers walk for nothing. They need to trade him. Last place teams can't afford to lose top tier talent with no return.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow that's hideous. Looks like somebody died.

1669847283652.png

Sign of the Apocalypse

For the first time ever, the Boston Red Sox uniforms will feature a sponsorship logo jersey patch on the uniform’s sleeve.

Along with the uniform change, comes a 10-year partnership agreement between the Red Sox and MassMutual which will also include a large logo of the insurance company, placed above the centerfield scoreboard at Fenway Park — where the former John Hancock sign sat for the previous 20 seasons.

“The Red Sox jersey is one of the most visible and central representations of the club, and it was important to us for the partner featured on it to have a deep understanding and appreciation for this region and community,” Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy said in a press release.

“MassMutual is the perfect match for us because they have strong Massachusetts roots and an appetite similar to our own to collaborate well beyond the jersey patch.”

• Haha
Reactions: smithformeragent

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
FWIW, I still don't think the Red Sox mishandled the Lester situation.
He was ultimately turned into a pitcher who won a cy young and a ring here, people should really get over it. Wasn’t the disaster people like to claim.

Letting Devers and Bogaerts walk without replacing them with impact talent would be a disaster though.

Reactions: GatorMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad