WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can't imagine how fun an atmosphere this will be! Always wanted to attend a tournament in Finland but will wait until a World Juniors takes place again to enjoy the Winter scenery and visit Lapland also lol.

Book my tickets today

got a return for £140 London to helsinki. I could have gotten it for £80 from ryanair--but I do not trust or like ryanair. A few buddies flew ryanair and they got screwed over by some silly rules.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I will be shocked if many NHL players from North America play in these games

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I will be shocked if not.

I think now that the players were forced out of the olympics, they are more driven to got to the Worlds

Finns are coming for sure

I mean North American born players. European players rarely turn down the chance to play in these games

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I mean North American born players. European players rarely turn down the chance to play in these games

i knew what you meant, but thank you. the first two were for na born, i just added that finns part.

i think na born players are eager to come, normally they probably wouldn't go to europe, (at worlds in general)
but its different this time,

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Hartwall Arena is owned by Russians so I suppose there is work being done to move second group elsewhere. Helsinki has the old Ice Hall (8 200) and third-biggest arena in Finland is in Turku (11 820)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Hartwall Arena is owned by Russians so I suppose there is work being done to move second group elsewhere. Helsinki has the old Ice Hall (8 200) and third-biggest arena in Finland is in Turku (11 820)

Helsinki Ice Hall makes the most sense. Just two kilometres away from ex-Hartwall Arena, so people who have possibly reserved hotels already don't have to make changes to their travel plans. I have nothing against playing in Turku and it would be fun, it would be just easier this way.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think all worlds will be cancelled ..

That doesn't seem likely.

IIHF will discuss the status of Russia's participation a the Worlds early next week in a video meeting. Russia has already been thrown out of the next Euro Hockey Tour event in Czech Republic, because they refused to grant them visas. Same is expected from the Swedish tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I will be shocked if not.

I think now that the players were forced out of the olympics, they are more driven to got to the Worlds

Finns are coming for sure
I'm thinking the same.. hoping some really angry NHL Czechs are hoping to get out of 9th or whatever our ranking is. I could see a lot of NHLers coming assuming all is clear!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I also think a lot of NHL players will be raring to go this year because of the cancelled olympics.

Expect strong lineups.

I'm skeptical, hopeful, but skeptical. I'll guess I'll have to do a Team Canada roster update tomorrow in the a.m.

probably a shade better than the ragtag team that showed up last year...but well behind the 2015 Prague powerhouse.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm skeptical, hopeful, but skeptical. I'll guess I'll have to do a Team Canada roster update tomorrow in the a.m.

probably a shade better than the ragtag team that showed up last year...but well behind the 2015 Prague powerhouse.
I'm hopeful, players really wanted in on the olympics and were shut out, think they will be motivated to go. Hoping for a 2015 type lineup might be going too far but something fairly close could be reasonable to think about.

Will look forward to the new lineup you draw up.

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
will be interesting if the IIHF grows a set and bans a certain nation from playing in a city just across the water from them. Lots of sporting events being pulled from that country right now

I think they will. Can't see a scenario where (possibly) Russia would celebrate world championship and at the same time throwing bombs elsewhere.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I'm confident that most/all nations, especially major European hockey nations, would boycott the tournament, or at the very least boycott games against Russia (as has just been announced for football World Cup qualifiers by Poland, Czech Republic, and Sweden), if Russia were allowed to participate. No way!

(As to Canada and the US, they've been sabotaging this tournament and the Olympics for decades, so their opinion on this matter is pretty much irrelevant, although it's likely that they would join the boycott as well.)

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
Should rejoin at least three divisions lower if they ever do.
That's an interesting question, isn't it? Suppose they are excluded for some amount of time, do they go to the end of the queue when they're admitted back, only to play Singapore or the Philippines in Div IV? Working their way back up over the following years? From a sports point of view that wouldn't make sense but could you simply slot them back into the top division as though they never left? Surely you couldn't deny the Div II winner the promotion. A lopsided tournament then with an extra relegation?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm hopeful, players really wanted in on the olympics and were shut out, think they will be motivated to go. Hoping for a 2015 type lineup might be going too far but something fairly close could be reasonable to think about.

Will look forward to the new lineup you draw up.
You always hear about that 2005 Junior team but not enough people talk about the 2015 Skoda Cup team.. that team was unreal.... just demolished everyone and it looked a bit like a Jr Tourney with Canada just running over people.

upload_2022-2-26_10-21-39.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My guess is that one country will not be allowed to participate and it will be replaced by the highest nation in the next pooll (I think this is France but am not sure). Then a reshuffle by seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad