WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I predict 2022 will be a great year for Swedish hockey, Olympic and WC gold.

i think we will do good in group stage in olympics then lose in qf or semifinal.

wc, no way we win gold with a team full with euro players. i would be happy with just reaching qf.

i do have hope for wjc u20 gold, if all players will play. not even monten can f*** things up with that monster roster.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
[QUOTE = "Eye of Ra, příspěvek: 178568953, člen: 76518"] daného data. pravděpodobně žádné nhlers pro švédsko. pozdravte divizi 1 [/ QUOTE]

When the NHL starts at the usual time, Sweden will get players from the team that will not playoff. So theoretically Kempe, Zibanejad, Rakell, OEL, perhaps finally Dahlin.. The end of the basic part is at the end of april, the tournaments starts on may 13. I think Sweden wil have extra motivation to fix this horror tournament and suceed in the country of rival..oh such a beautiful idea. Raising the cup over your head in Hartwall Arena would break the Finnish soul.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
[QUOTE = "Eye of Ra, příspěvek: 178568953, člen: 76518"] daného data. pravděpodobně žádné nhlers pro švédsko. pozdravte divizi 1 [/ QUOTE]

When the NHL starts at the usual time, Sweden will get players from the team that will not playoff. So theoretically Kempe, Zibanejad, Rakell, OEL, perhaps finally Dahlin.. The end of the basic part is at the end of april, the tournaments starts on may 13. I think Sweden wil have extra motivation to fix this horror tournament and suceed in the country of rival..oh such a beautiful idea. Raising the cup over your head in Hartwall Arena would break the Finnish soul.
I don’t see Zibanejad etc both playing WC and Olympics, and they much rather play at the Olympics than WC. That being said players left out of the Olympic squad, and perhaps those with little game time, might want to play in the WC.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I don’t see Zibanejad etc both playing WC and Olympics, and they much rather play at the Olympics than WC. That being said players left out of the Olympic squad, and perhaps those with little game time, might want to play in the WC.

Of cours, half of the team who played at the Olympics will not come to Finland. But isn't a tournament in Finland attractive for NHL players? When Slovakia was given the opportunity to be a tournament advisor in 2019, the interest of czech players from the NHL to come was huge.

member 305909

Next year Canada will do it the other way round. Wins the group with a clean sheet and then gets knocked out in the QFs.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Did Russia request this?

I know that two teams could be swapped for "operational reasons," such as when Slovakia and Switzerland traded groups in 2015 (Ostrava is closer to Slovakia than Prague.) I could be mistaken, but I think that only the host country could request this.

That said, I'm not what the reasoning behind switching ROC and USA was.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That said, I'm not what the reasoning behind switching ROC and USA was.
Finland and Sweden playing in Tampere essentially guarantees great attendance for all games in that group. So there is no need for the Russian fans to flock to Tampere, too - moving ROC to Helsinki will boost that venue's attendance numbers. It's a three hour train ride away from St. Petersburg, and the Helsinki Arena is a walking distance away from the station. Also, that arena is the Jokerit home arena, so a fair number of Russian hockey fans have already visited to catch a KHL game - making it an easy location for them to flock towards.

Reactions: Lepardi

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Finland and Sweden playing in Tampere essentially guarantees great attendance for all games in that group. So there is no need for the Russian fans to flock to Tampere, too - moving ROC to Helsinki will boost that venue's attendance numbers. It's a three hour train ride away from St. Petersburg, and the Helsinki Arena is a walking distance away from the station. Also, that arena is the Jokerit home arena, so a fair number of Russian hockey fans have already visited to catch a KHL game - making it an easy location for them to flock towards.

There is already extremely high demand. That is why they are having a lotto system

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There is already extremely high demand. That is why they are having a lotto system
There is nothing concrete about the demand yet - and there won't be until the draw begins in September. But it's safe to say the demand *will* be high, knowing Finns and hockey. (Well, unless they go overboard with the prices again.) That prediction alone is why they're having the lottery.

Also, the lottery will be for Tampere only - most tickets for Helsinki will be sold in open market. They also made the decision to place ROC in the Helsinki group weeks ago - as the idea was from get-go to get Russian fans to fill the Helsinki Arena. Only open question was which team they'll flip Russia with, if needed, and they had to wait for the new IIHF ranking before they could tell.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There is nothing concrete about the demand yet - and there won't be until the draw begins in September. But it's safe to say the demand *will* be high, knowing Finns and hockey. (Well, unless they go overboard with the prices again.) That prediction alone is why they're having the lottery.

Also, the lottery will be for Tampere only - most tickets for Helsinki will be sold in open market. They also made the decision to place ROC in the Helsinki group weeks ago - as the idea was from get-go to get Russian fans to fill the Helsinki Arena. Only open question was which team they'll flip Russia with, if needed, and they had to wait for the new IIHF ranking before they could tell.

Well I go every year and know guys who are part of the different hockey Federations and who work for the IIHF. I can assure you they have some idea of how high the demand for tickets.

There is a reason why they are using the lotto system

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I'm predicting another Finland Canada final, same for Olympics this is the new international hockey rivalry.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And I know why it's in place - but there were a couple of details you didn't quite have right.

I am getting it from guys within the IIHF.

Used to do business with both the Swedish federation and Finnish delegation. And dealt with the IIHF over large hotel bookings.

The iihf and the federations have already blocked book blocks for both arenas. They are playing catch up on business.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The iihf and the federations have already blocked book blocks for both arenas. They are playing catch up on business.
I'm still quite not getting the point you're trying to make. Yes, the games in Tampere will be in high demand - no one's ever questioned this. You don't really have to even be particularly astute in these matters to get it - or why there is a draw. You're not telling me anything I don't already know or didn't bring up.

There won't be a draw for the games in Helsinki, and they were planning to place ROC in that group from the very beginning, because Helsinki is the more convenient place for Russian fans to travel and will guarantee good attendance there as well. Playing in Helsinki was something that was never even considered for the home team, because of the brand new arena that was erected in Tampere.

I hope this puts us all on the same page.

By the way, I just noticed a small error in the thread title: the games will be played from May 13th to May 29th - not May 19th as it currently says there.

Last edited:

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Finland and Sweden playing in Tampere essentially guarantees great attendance for all games in that group. So there is no need for the Russian fans to flock to Tampere, too - moving ROC to Helsinki will boost that venue's attendance numbers. It's a three hour train ride away from St. Petersburg, and the Helsinki Arena is a walking distance away from the station.

That makes perfect sense. I had thought there might have been some visa exemption, much like the one for people traveling to St. Petersburg by sea, but I couldn't find anything. This clears it up nicely.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That makes perfect sense. I had thought there might have been some visa exemption, much like the one for people traveling to St. Petersburg by sea, but I couldn't find anything. This clears it up nicely.
Mhm. And like I said, the Helsinki Arena is also a KHL team's home arena, so a fair number of the fans of Team ROC have already visited there at the same point to catch an away game of their club team. It's overall a very convenient location if you're a Russian fan.

They'll need a visa to cross the border, but those requests are routine for the Finnish officials and are generally handled without any complicated hoops.

Reactions: BOS358

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I predict 2022 will be a great year for Swedish hockey, Olympic and WC gold.
Swedes did the double Gold at Olympics and world's, right?

I think they did it with 2 completely different rosters too! Truly impressive. 2006?

member 305909

I'm surprised that such a hockey superpower as Finland applied to host the 2022 tournament as the tournament in an Olympic year feels a bit less worth than in other years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm surprised that such a hockey superpower as Finland applied to host the 2022 tournament as the tournament in an Olympic year feels a bit less worth than in other years.

I'm surprised that they're managing to complete their arenas by 2022.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Me too, Im not sure if it was menat to be in 2021 already at first?

Anyways, I dont mind that much. I think its going to be good tournament, I just feel that way

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Hosting a World Championship (top 16) used to be a guaranteed big cash-in for the arranging hockey federation(s), so all the top European nations were standing in line for that.

Finland applied for hosting another tournament approx 7-10 years ago... ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad