WJC: 2022 IIHF WM U20 D1B, Tallinn, Estonia (december 12 - 18)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
TeamQualification
23px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png
Slovenia
placed 6th in Division I A last edition and were relegated
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
placed 2nd in Division I B last edition
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png
Ukraine
placed 3rd in Division I B last edition
23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
placed 4th in Division I B last edition
23px-Flag_of_Estonia.svg.png
Estonia
placed 5th in Division I B last edition
23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
placed 1st in Division II A last edition and were promoted
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Its played same time as D1A.

What are you guys predications?

Ukraine won 3-0 over Poland not long ago.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
I would like to see Estonia stays in the group.

Will be hard to accomplish. Estonia's 02's is a much weaker age group than 00's, 01's or 04's. Let's hope that home crowd makes them fight harder and at the upper end of their skills.

They played two exhibition games against Lithuania U20. Lithuania won the first one and Estonia the second. Don't remember the scores. Maybe 3-4 and 6-5.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Went through Estonian team roster from some recent exhibition game and didn't see a single really exciting name even for their standards. Lets hope there are some hidden gems that will only show up for the tournament.

Reactions: THE JAM and Pardus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
To borrow the quote, If I had to put Estonia's chances into a percentage, I would say it has none percent chance.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Fabian Kapica seems to be the best Polska have.

Will be intresting to see Arthur Cholach for Ukraine. If he gets released.

Japan, who is newcomers, could end up winning the group when they have players such as Sato, Ando and Isogai.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Slovenia have some intresting players. Török, Masic, Povse, Pretnar, Mahkovec.

Estonia should be the punching bag. Rest of the nations looks pretty even.

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
I am Estonian and I thougth I could clarify our roster a bit.

To borrow the quote, If I had to put Estonia's chances into a percentage, I would say it has none percent chance.
Agreed, but as a fan, I remain hopeful :) .

Some notable players from our roster (my opinion):
Jõgi and Mürkel - Both have played on a good level In Finnish junior leagues for many years now. They should be the leaders of this team. Both also have experience in WJC.
Kulintsev - Can move the puck very well. The kind of defensman Estonia has always needed, but never had. Played well with men's national team in Baltic Challenge Cup. I think he could be the next star in Estonian hockey.
Bahturin - Probably goint to be the nr1 goaltender. Nothing spectacular, but I think a bit better than CK Jõgi and Mark Teor in previous years. Our goalie situation has never been very strong.
Potsinok twins - 2004 born twins who play very entertainig and fast together. Natural goal scorers. Still young, but they have a chance to emerge as good points producers. One of them has been injured this whole season, but just might be able to make a comback for this tournament.
Filippenko - Has no experience in WJC at all, but he looked good the two games against Lithuania. He can use his big size well. Coach played him the most i believe.

Estonia's 02's is a much weaker age group than 00's, 01's or 04's.
This years team is better than 01's team, simply because it is pretty much the same team other than handful of 01 players. The level is increasingly getting better from 02 up to 06 at least.

In conclusion defensmen other than Kulintsev are quite inexperienced in WJC-s, but on a good day, they will get the job done. I think our D is about the same level as previous 2 tournaments, but surely not worse. Compared to previous 2 tournaments we have less depth in our offence, but goal scoring should not be an issue. I predict that our biggest weakness is that we only have 2 maybe 3 lines who are able to play equally to other teams. So fatigue is gonna be a factor.
Oppenents have better rosters for sure, but since not many of the players have not had the chance to play at the worlds because of Covid, I would not be suprised if this tournament would contain surprising results.

tornaado66

Dec 12, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
Let's hope that home crowd makes them fight harder and at the upper end of their skills.

About that. Due to Covid, only 1000 tickets will be sold to each game and masks are mandatory. Because of that ticket sales seem to low and unfortunately I dont excpect atmosphere like we had 3 years ago with 2550 spectators for the final D1A game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
After checking the rosters, my prediction would be:

1. France
2. Slovenia
3. Ukraine
4. Japan
------------------
5. Poland (definitely a down year for them)
6. Estonia

France has the advantage in that their top players are 1) really good; 2) almost all are 19. Slovenia should have a really good team next year though.

Reactions: tornaado66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad