2022 HFNHL Nashville Predators Draft Review

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Overall I am very satisfied with my draft. Got criticism for taking McGroarty high, but he went almost at the same spot in the NHL, so the signs are good. Really excited about Pickering, i think his ultimate upside is higher than some of the guys who were picked ahead of him like Korchinski or Mateychuk - but he probably has to put in a bit more work to reach it. Later on i went for upside above everything else and managed to get some nice boom or bust prospects.

Round 1, 13th overall - F Rutger McGroarty
NHL: Round 1, 14th overall: Winnipeg Jets +1
GM's thoughts: McGroarty was the top ranked guy for me here, but it was VERY close with Korchinsky, Mateychuk and Kasper. Firmly believe that McGroarty was the right choice here.

Round 1, 19th overall - D Owen Pickering
NHL: Round 1, 21st overall: Pittsburgh Penguins +2
GM's thoughts: Traded up to get that kid. I doubt he would have been available at 27. Immediately is the top prospect for Pittsburgh in the NHL and may need some time, but has intriguing upside. I MIGHT have considered Kasper if he had fallen to 19.

Round 3, 90th overall - F Vinzenz Rohrer
NHL: Round 3, 75th overall: Montral Canadiens -15
GM's thoughts: First Austrian i drafted and he's a promising one. One of the youngest players in the draft, a student of the game, a hard worker and very talented.Time certainly is on his side, size isn't (yet). He was clearly the target at 90 for me.

Round 4, 109th overall - F Nikita Grebyonkin
NHL: Round 5, 135th overall: Toronto Maple Leafs +26
GM's thoughts: Size, speed, skill, ranked in the 2nd round by HP. I like it. Looking for upside regardless of risk later on and thats the result.

Round 4, 119th overall - G Dennis Hildeby
NHL: Round 4, 122nd overall: Toronto Maple Leafs +3
GM's thoughts: In a bad year for goalies, Hildeby has taken advantage of being an overager for me. Very good statistics in Sweden and being a huge, yet agile goalie bodes well for the future.

Round 4, 124th overall - F Dmitri Buchelnikov
NHL: Round 2, 52nd overall: Detroit Red Wings -72
GM's thoughts: Like Grebyonkin another boom or bust type prospect. Buchelnikov ais small, but supremely talented, improved his speed and agility during the past season which is important considering his size. A bit surprised that he went in the 2nd round in the NHL, but his pure upside probably warrants it.

Round 7, 205th overall - F Jakub Demek
NHL: 2021 Round 4, 128th overall: Las Vegas Golden Knights
GM's thoughts: Hulking, smart winger who did very well in his first WHL season. I like his upside and also the situation he is in as Vegas does not have many forward prospects with his profile.

Round 7, 223rd overall - F Owen van Steensel
NHL: undrafted
GM's thoughts: A bit surprised he went undrafted, but half a good season in the OHL probably is not good enough. Looking forward to see him getting drafted next year :)

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
The problem with you having so many picks in the fourth is you took the guy I wanted with my next pick twice during that run. Hildeby and Buchelnikov. Looks like a really good draft.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think for the first time in many a year, our lists diverged this year (mostly because I think my priorities have changed) -- I liked those 4th round picks especially though, well, until they became Leafs. Sorry about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad