• Jesse Ylonen

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That would be the best case scenario but like we know, not everyone develops the same. There is no such things as 100% in prospects as a previous poster was referring to.

The more likely scenario would be a #3 D-man.

You said he didn't have enough offence. I provided a counter-example.

I agree #3 is more likely than #1, but I don't think we can close the #1 door yet.

Reactions: Yarice

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe even a dance off.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-chris-pratt.gif

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I see Kaiden Guhle as a Derian Hatcher type.

Was Derian Hatcher a #1 in Dallas? Numerical hierarchies don't describe the whole story. Hatcher and Zubov both played a different role on Dallas and played 30 minutes a game in back-to-back trips to the Finals. Zubov was a beast on the PP, Hatcher on the PK. Shea Weber was basically Derian Hatcher but with a bomb from the point so he played the PP (although Hatcher also did as a net man from time to time, but it's not the same thing).

Of course, it's better to have #1D who excels at both special units as well as at even-strength, but they don't grow on trees. Not everyone is Denis Potvin or Doug Harvey or Chris Pronger or Ray Bourque. Even Shea Weber, who excelled as a PP triggerman, wasn't exactly a PPQB, which is the most important role on such a unit.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I'm considering both ceiling and NHL readiness when voting here. Hutson's ceiling is sky high, but his NHL readiness is not quite there yet.

Mailloux also has a relatively high ceiling considering his toolkit and is probably 2 years away from getting some NHL minutes... so I voted for him ahead of Hutson who I think only sniffs professional hockey 3 years down the road.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
You are referring to a specific archetype to define a top pairing defenceman when in fact there are many.
A top pair D-man needs to produce offensively and be good defensively. That's a requirement for all.

Markov, Subban and Weber had all different styles while with the team but they put up points on the board and where good defensively.

Anyway, back on topic, I voted Hutson. I just don't have enough data from Mailloux. While the skill is there he's only played 12 OHL games this year and 16 total in 3 years.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Mailloux. Should’ve probably gone earlier.

Hutson is very interesting but there is high bust potential there. Mailloux is far more of a sure thing.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Despite mailloux being taller and bigger, i’d say Hutson plays ‘’bigger’’ than Mailloux. Hutson won’t be able to be physical at the higher level but he plays with better compete level.
Hutson is smart, works hard, picks his spot and does the best he can physically with his frame, but Mailloux is a physical beast and can be pretty mean, his reach is also a big advantage on a small defenseman like Hutson. That being said, while Mailloux is physical, he doesnt always defend too smartly.

As for you comment on Heineman, I completely agree, kid is terribly underrated. Roy will need to increase his motor, improve his game away from the puck and improve his skating in order to become a solid NHLer, on skills alone he is one of our most touted prospects, but other parts of his game need signifiant improvement, so I see him as a boom or bust type of prospect as well at that point. Its also worth noting that he was playing with 2 very good overagers last year, so its always a good thing when a prospect produce at a such rate, but that doesnt always tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlafySZN

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One thing I learned from this forum over the years is that our board overhypes the hell out of our prospects all the time. We'd be lucky if 3 of those mentioned above pan out to be decent NHL'rs.

Yes, that is the difference between potential and reality and is true for every team's prospects.

its not overhype when someone says a player has the potential to be a top 6 forward. It only seems like overhype if you don't understand what the word potential means.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A top pair D-man needs to produce offensively and be good defensively. That's a requirement for all.

No it isn't.

There are plenty of defencemen in the NHL who play on the top pair of their teams and don't produce a ton of offence.

That said, Guhle has enough offence to be on a top pair. He may not score 60 points in a season, but thats not the definition of top pair guy. Plenty of top pair defencemen put up 30 points, some even put up less than that.

Ryan McDonagh scored over 40 points 3 times in his entire career, was he not a top pair defenceman?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Man, Next year after Habs fans see how good Owen Beck is he will jump up these rankings.:thumbu:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
No it isn't.

There are plenty of defencemen in the NHL who play on the top pair of their teams and don't produce a ton of offence.

That said, Guhle has enough offence to be on a top pair. He may not score 60 points in a season, but thats not the definition of top pair guy. Plenty of top pair defencemen put up 30 points, some even put up less than that.

Ryan McDonagh scored over 40 points 3 times in his entire career, was he not a top pair defenceman?
McDonagh is a top pair guy but he can also be on the second pair. He's really borderline. But on Tampa he can definitely be a top pair guy because Hedman was a PPG D-man last season.
I think Guhle has slightly less offensive potential than McDonagh but that's me. I would be happy to be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad