Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Jesse Ylonen

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Does Beck have top-6 upside?

He's very safe, but I struggle to get excited about his upside. I see a lot of 3C upside out there.
Yes he has top 6 upside but is more likely a very good middle 6. He is a super safe pick as a stronger Lehkonen who plays center. Maybe he is a little less and he is just a decent 3rd liner and maybe he is a little more and he is in your top 6. He only has one season of OHL hockey under his belt and is already an elite skater with high IQ, good hands and a strong shot, there is reason to believe he can take a huge step next season. If not he is still a great prospect to add to the pool.

Beck is exactly the type of prospect we need to come up and play important minutes in support of the Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach, Mesar, Roy, Farrell types who we are hoping pan out to fill most of our top six. He was dominant in faceoffs and can play on both special teams and can play up and down the lineup. Players like this are invaluable to teams looking to contend.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Primeau but Lane is still no1 in my ♡

Lol @ 12 games Logan cmon mayne the dude skated solo the last 2 years.

Reactions: KFlint

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes he has top 6 upside but is more likely a very good middle 6. He is a super safe pick as a stronger Lehkonen who plays center. Maybe he is a little less and he is just a decent 3rd liner and maybe he is a little more and he is in your top 6. He only has one season of OHL hockey under his belt and is already an elite skater with high IQ, good hands and a strong shot, there is reason to believe he can take a huge step next season. If not he is still a great prospect to add to the pool.

Beck is exactly the type of prospect we need to come up and play important minutes in support of the Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach, Mesar, Roy, Farrell types who we are hoping pan out to fill most of our top six. He was dominant in faceoffs and can play on both special teams and can play up and down the lineup. Players like this are invaluable to teams looking to contend.

I don't disagree with that. He's a good prospect. It just doesn't make me rank him over prospects that have higher upside.

I have him at #9 below the ones voted in, Hutson and Primeau.

Mailloux is the one I have low at #13.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't think my point is registering with you........

You can't use Roy vs Kapanen as an example because it is not the same situation. You have a full D+1 season to reevaluate and Roy was not a historically tiny player.

Clearly the Habs scouting staff agrees with me as well as possibly the entire NHL scouting fraternity as there is zero chance Beck lasts until pick #62......who knows how much further Hutson falls if we don't take him?

This is entirely youtube/devo camp driven hyperbole that has him getting votes over prospects who are currently better.

If someone said Roy over Kapanen after last draft, you'd have made the same preaching post but end of the day, be wrong one year later. Pro scouts are consistently wrong and both Hutson/Beck were ranked fairly closely pre-draft (one was 40th and other was 33rd).

How do you know Beck wouldn't have lasted until pick 40 or 50 or even 60 had Montreal not take him? How do you know Hutson wasn't going to be taken 63rd if Habs didn't take him? Caufield actually was never supposed to be there at 15th overall, yet there he was. Are you going to say who knows how far he falls too because he's tiny?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't disagree with that. He's a good prospect. It just doesn't make me rank him over prospects that have higher upside.

I have him at #9 below the ones voted in, Hutson and Primeau.

Mailloux is the one I have low at #13.

I think you have to factor in the likelihood of reaching that upside. The way in which we define upside appears to differ as well. I think too many people think upside only refers to offence but I see it as a measure of value which incorporates all aspects of the game, most notably a players likelihood of playing up in the lineup. I don't value 1 dimensional prospects who require sheltered minutes nearly as much as players who can be trusted to excel in all situations. Unless that 1 dimension is so dominant that it forces the opposition to have to gameplan for it but that is uncommon. Caufield is an example of this and maybe Hutson could be as well but only as a forward.

Hopefully Beck breaks out in his sophomore season, Hutson grows 3 inches like his brother and Slafkovsky turns into a Jagr clone in the making. This will have been a dynasty building draft if it plays out like that.

Reactions: Treb

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If someone said Roy over Kapanen after last draft, you'd have made the same preaching post but end of the day, be wrong one year later. Pro scouts are consistently wrong and both Hutson/Beck were ranked fairly closely pre-draft (one was 40th and other was 33rd).

How do you know Beck wouldn't have lasted until pick 40 or 50 or even 60 had Montreal not take him? How do you know Hutson wasn't going to be taken 63rd if Habs didn't take him? Caufield actually was never supposed to be there at 15th overall, yet there he was. Are you going to say who knows how far he falls too because he's tiny?

I feel like I need to speak really slow.......

Your Caufield example is ludicrous as every person at the draft knew he was going to go somewhere in the first 20 picks and nobody was surprised to see him "fall". Can you really pretend that you think Beck had any chance at all of falling to 62? I love the Hutson pick but you guys are just doubling down on the flawed reasoning process that has you taking him ahead of Beck.This is not to say that anyone who has Hutson over Beck is out to lunch as some have better reasons than others but to be ahead by this much is objectively ludicrous.

I have said many times that scouting is far from an exact science and scouts are consistently wrong......the reason that they are wrong is because players can change drastically from year to year. They can only make their selection based on current development and that is exactly what this poll should be based on but it clearly is not. This poll is based on fans who know far less than professional scouts and base their picks on youtube highlights and devo camp dangles. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, it is just silly and that is ok.....it is ok to be silly as this is just for fun.

Call that preachy if you want but it is just true. If you consider being confronted with facts preachy then so be it. I prefer to embrace well thought out criticism of any opinion that I may have.

I wish we had an anonymous professional scout poll to put this silly topic to rest. The worst part is that this makes me sound like I hated the pick but I was happy as shit when we picked Hutson. I hope all of you are right and he grows a few inches and becomes better than Quinn Hughes or even the next Cale Makar. That is not impossible but wouldn't it make more sense to wait and see before pumping his tires this hard.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I feel like I need to speak really slow.......

Your Caufield example is ludicrous as every person at the draft knew he was going to go somewhere in the first 20 picks and nobody was surprised to see him "fall". Can you really pretend that you think Beck had any chance at all of falling to 62? I love the Hutson pick but you guys are just doubling down on the flawed reasoning process that has you taking him ahead of Beck.This is not to say that anyone who has Hutson over Beck is out to lunch as some have better reasons than others but to be ahead by this much is objectively ludicrous.

I have said many times that scouting is far from an exact science and scouts are consistently wrong......the reason that they are wrong is because players can change drastically from year to year. They can only make their selection based on current development and that is exactly what this poll should be based on but it clearly is not. This poll is based on fans who know far less than professional scouts and base their picks on youtube highlights and devo camp dangles. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, it is just silly and that is ok.....it is ok to be silly as this is just for fun.

Call that preachy if you want but it is just true. If you consider being confronted with facts preachy then so be it. I prefer to embrace well thought out criticism of any opinion that I may have.

I wish we had an anonymous professional scout poll to put this silly topic to rest. The worst part is that this makes me sound like I hated the pick but I was happy as shit when we picked Hutson. I hope all of you are right and he grows a few inches and becomes better than Quinn Hughes or even the next Cale Makar. That is not impossible but wouldn't it make more sense to wait and see before pumping his tires this hard.
You could also use the exemple of when we drafted Farrell after Smith and Biondi. HFhabs correctly put Farrell ahead, but professional scout chose Smith and Biondi before. Probably other exemple where HF were right, and professional scout were wrong.

So yeah, professional scout are sometimes right, but that does not mean we cannot have our opinion on who is a better prospect.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What your comparison and projection for Owen Beck? I really like this pick.
floor projection.. he's Lehkonen

tweener projection he is Anothony cirelli, The premier third line center of the entire league

ceiling projection is Bo Horvat,

Given that Beck lost a year of development and that he played second fiddle to Del Belluz I think there is more then meets the eye. If he is plays higher in the lineup and has better linemates next year I think he will show that he was a steal at 33OA

TLDR= He's a high floor guy who's shown glimpses of high potential but hasn't gotten the full opportunity to show it.

I don't know what the Habs can do but hopefully Belluz or Beck moves to another OHL team.

-edit

Here's a good draft profile that I think summarises what Beck is all about
Draft profile
And here's a clip I think everyone will like.

Getting a defender to bite with a poke check and also fight off two players trying to lift his stick is a treat to watch. The two players falling on top of each other afterwards is icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad