• Jan Mysak

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No way. I have Smith ahead of Hillis for sure. If Hillis isn't bottom 5 he is the new Olofsson (the forward one everyone still voted for last year).

Although I'm not including Gorniak and Stapley because I think neither will be Habs by the time these polls end...

Schnarr? Condotta? Gordin? Vrbetic?

Even without Gorniak and Stapley, plenty of choice for a worse prospect. I have him at 36/47 if you remove them.

Jack Smith struggles at the USHL level, at least Hillis was a good CHLer and is currently a depth AHLer.

If Jack Smith ever turns pro, I will be very impressed.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Schnarr? Condotta? Gordin? Vrbetic?

Even without Gorniak and Stapley, plenty of choice for a worse prospect. I have him at 36/47 if you remove them.

Jack Smith struggles at the USHL level, at least Hillis was a good CHLer and is currently a depth AHLer.

If Jack Smith ever turns pro, I will be very impressed.
I'm sure the Habs wish they had a contract spot instead of Cam Hillis at this point. Schnarr, Condotta and Vrbetic are all ahead of Hillis for me. Gordin I'm not sure.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm sure the Habs wish they had a contract spot instead of Cam Hillis at this point. Schnarr, Condotta and Vrbetic are all ahead of Hillis for me. Gordin I'm not sure.

Definitely disagree.

Anyway, the point was that he is a lot better than Smith/Henrikson and I don't know how can anyone rationally disagree with that.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Definitely disagree.

Anyway, the point was that he is a lot better than Smith/Henrikson and I don't know how can anyone rationally disagree with that.
I have Smith ahead of him. Hillis is close to a zero at this point for me. Smith still has time, he's never been healthy.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I have Smith ahead of him. Hillis is close to a zero at this point for me. Smith still has time, he's never been healthy.

Hillis is only 22 and Smith is already 20.

Hillis has probably already done more in his career than Smith will ever do.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Hillis is only 22 and Smith is already 20.

Hillis has probably already done more in his career than Smith will ever do.
Yeah I was thinking probably the root of our disagreement is I look at the prospects in terms of their value FOR the Canadiens. So Hillis I think is done with the Canadiens, whereas Smith has 4 more years of team control and some slight hope of transitioning well to the NCAA. Hillis will need to be re-signed after this season and I doubt very much he gets re-signed. So while Smith may never play AHL, the time he has makes him worth more to the Canadiens because Hillis is out of time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No way. I have Smith ahead of Hillis for sure. If Hillis isn't bottom 5 he is the new Olofsson (the forward one everyone still voted for last year).

Although I'm not including Gorniak and Stapley because I think neither will be Habs by the time these polls end...

Smith can't even score in the USHL. He's one of the worst picks we've ever made.

Reactions: Toene

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Smith can't even score in the USHL. He's one of the worst picks we've ever made.
Right, but if he has a good year this year he can get back on track. Hillis I think is done.

Also worst picks ever is silly. But then you never understood the Ruscheinskyi pick so I think we look at drafting differently anyway so we won't agree there.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Right, but if he has a good year this year he can get back on track. Hillis I think is done.

Also worst picks ever is silly. But then you never understood the Ruscheinskyi pick so I think we look at drafting differently anyway so we won't agree there.

I understood the Ruscheinski pick was an in memoriam pick. As the organization said. You were the one who didn't understand and thought he was a prospect. The dude didn't even made division 1 while he was our property lol

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

one was the 102 pick and they other was 206. Big difference between those 2 pick

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Relative to draft position, Smith is worse than Rucheinski.

Might end up being the worst pick since Mikko Hyytia.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
At this point Primeau is overrated and Dobes is underrated.

At this range it's need to be between Heineman, Kidney and Dobes.

Reactions: 26Mats

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I understood the Ruscheinski pick was an in memoriam pick. As the organization said. You were the one who didn't understand and thought he was a prospect. The dude didn't even made division 1 while he was our property lol
He was a prospect just didn't work out, but it was a good try

But I will add that I like Hughes's stance that he doesn't throw darts at a dart board. I like the new drafting philosophy this season. Seems way more streamlined.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Relative to draft position, Smith is worse than Rucheinski.

Might end up being the worst pick since Mikko Hyytia.
Any pick that doesn't get signed is the same. Judging picks beyond that is useless. Smith has a few years to prove himself. David Fischer was a much worse pick than any of those guys.

Reactions: SOLR

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He was a prospect just didn't work out, but it was a good try

But I will add that I like Hughes's stance that he doesn't throw darts at a dart board. I like the new drafting philosophy this season. Seems way more streamlined.

No. He was an in memoriam pick. He was not a prospect, he was a gesture. His hockey career completely confirms that.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
No. He was an in memoriam pick. He was not a prospect, he was a gesture. His hockey career completely confirms that.
We disagree. I think he was like Petteri Simila to Pekka Rinne. They were trying to hit the next Colton Parayko taking a long shot. Nobody can know and it doesn't matter. So you'll have your opinion and I can respect that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At this point Primeau is overrated and Dobes is underrated.

At this range it's need to be between Heineman, Kidney and Dobes.

Yeah I'd put Primeau behind those 3. But I haven't at all given up on Primeau. I remember Tomas Vokoun playing with us before he had fully developed. He couldn't stop a beach ball. We gave up on him. And he had a great career in Nashville, including being an all star if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, Fischer was a #20 OV pick who never made even the AHL. So yeah, he was a huge failure from the Habs POV.

So you judge picks based on how long they play hockey?

I judge them on their play and their career.

I never said Fischer was not a bad draft pick, only that I think Smith will be worse.

Hyyta is definitely worse than Fischer.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I judge them on their play and their career.

I never said Fischer was not a bad draft pick, only that I think Smith will be worse.

Hyyta is definitely worse than Fischer.
You mean

Mikko Hyytia​

The 8th round pick from 1999?

I had never heard of him. Yeah for me the position of the pick matters. Most late round picks don't sign, so for me (because I am only concerned with their value to the Canadiens) David Fischer was pretty bad, and the higher the pick the worse the loss. Although because the Habs didn't sign him, they got a 2nd round compensation pick, which is amazingly more than they got for a lot of their other 1st round picks, such as Tinordi and McCarron.

But guys like Ruscheinski and Henrikson may end up playing ECHL or Euro leagues too so that makes it hard to gauge from that point of view. Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter. Hopefully the Habs have less trouble in the first round going forward!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Primeau because I still believe.

He loves playing in Quebec so I root for him hard. Always translates his instagram posts that's a big plus for me! I'm a big chauvinistic guy I admit it, but it's not about speaking French necessarily, it's just a question giving back some of the love you receive from the fans here.

When I listened to Big Bird Robinson's speech in a broken french at Lafleur's funeral, I lost my shit and bawled like a damned baby. Dude knows what it means in the eyes of french-canadian fans to make the little effort. For me it's a great character trait. Gainey, Dryden, Robinson and many others... They didn't HAVE to but they did. Absolute class-acts. So yeah I see the same attitude in Primeau and I find it so cool. Hope he's at least a great back-up for us! He's technically sound and got that Carey Price calmness about him, hope he solidifies his place as a NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad