Prospect Info: 2022 Final Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Top 40 Picks

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Top 40 Picks
This is not a ranking, but a hypothetical scenario of how the draft might go. I study all the prospects and all 32 franchises, so I do my best to remain objective based on each organization’s needs and general draft tendencies.

1. Montreal: C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL the choice between Wright and Slafkovsky is unbelievably difficult, as they have separated themselves as the two best players in the 2022 draft. But ultimately, Montreal won’t pass on a high-end, franchise-caliber potential right-shot 1C. Wright is a high-IQ, elite-skilled two-way force up the middle, it’s that simple.
  2. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland for the second straight year, the Devils fall into an *easy* pick — the clear-cut best available player is also precisely what they need: a big, interior forward with the elite skills and high IQ to play alongside a dazzling young center tandem of Hughes and Hischier. Just a huge win for the New Jersey organization. If Montreal opts for Slafkovsky, which is possible, the most likely scenario here is that the Devils just go with Wright, but it does realistically open the possibility of a trade-down scenario. However, those options will be limited, as the Devils most likely targets would be Jiricek or Gauthier, both likely to be drafted top 6.
  3. Arizona: C/LW Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the Coyotes raise a few eyebrows by going with Gauthier, but it makes sense. The Arizona native is an increasingly rare Tkachuk-like physical force who also possesses an elite shot and excellent skates. The news that Gauthier is returning to his natural center position of center at Boston College exponentially increases his value to the center-starved Coyotes. This kid will score a ton of goals at the NHL level, both greasy and pretty.
  4. Seattle: RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia after drafting a franchise center last year in Beniers, Seattle finds a franchise defender in the sublime puck-mover and transition stud Nemec. The young Slovakian is also very good defensively and closer to NHL-readiness than any 2022-eligible defenseman.
  5. Philadelphia: C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP the Flyers are thin organizationally up the middle and Cooley gives them a high-end young center who plays with as much speed and pace as any forward in the 2022 class. Cooley is also extremely skilled and plays a good alba-round game, giving him an extremely high floor.
  6. Columbus: RD David Jiricek, HC Plzen, Czechia the Blue Jackets like to draft big, physical players and 6'3 Jiricek offers this plus shut-down defensive upside. Jiricek adds to a tantalizing package of outstanding puck skill and the hardest shot in the entire 2022 draft class… it’s an absolute howitzer from the point.
  7. Ottawa: C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL the Senators have a loaded prospect pool, with only discernible needs at center and RD. They like big, North Americans and don’t pay much attention to the consensus, so they won’t care what the media has to say about them reaching for a bit for a 6’4 center with a litany of elite skills. Geekie has yet to play to close to his capabilities with any consistency, but the tool kit is certainly there.
  8. Detroit: C Marko Kasper, Rogle Sweden GM Steve Yzerman would love a long-term top-two center tandem with Dylan Larkin, and he loves high-IQ, high-compete players. Kasper fills this bill perfectly — and adds elite speed, physicality and two-way acumen to a package which includes an under appreciated offensive skill-set.
  9. Buffalo: C Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg WHL the Sabres have two areas of clear-cut need: at center and RD. Savoie may be small, but his ability to generate offense can contend with any player in the 2022 class. He’s a dynamic passer and scorer who creates excitement every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone.
  10. Anaheim: RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland though the Ducks normally draft for size and speed, there’s a new sheriff in town with GM Pat Verbeek, who seems to have a more diverse view of what it takes to win in the NHL. Kemell might be the best pure finisher in the 2022 class, and the idea of pairing him with the brilliant passing ability of Trevor Zegras is extremely tantalizing.
  11. San Jose: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens Sweden the Sharks also have big needs for the blueline, but here I have them opting for a lethal sniper to pair in the future with the sublime playmaker they took #7 overall last year in William Eklund.
  12. Columbus: LW Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL it’s very difficult to project where the Russians will go due to the political unrest in Ukraine. But the Blue Jackets have traditionally scouted the region very well, and they love high-compete, two-way power forwards like Yurov, who also adds top-6 caliber scoring skills.
  13. NY Islanders: LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL with a weak overall prospect pool, the Isles have needs virtually everywhere, but LD has to stand out as the thinnest organizational position. Already in North America, Mintyukov represents less risk than the Russians currently playing in their home country and his mix of size, speed and elite offensive skill makes him a good bet to go top 15.
  14. Winnipeg: RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP the Jets love drafting from the US-NTDP and Nazar would be represent tremendous upside in the mid-1st round; he’s fast and smart and overflowing with elite skills, and despite his small stature he thrives in the interior. He might be the Brayden Point-iest player in the 2022 class.
  15. Vancouver: LD Kevin Korchinski, Seattle WHL the Canucks have clear needs on the blueline, so they swing for the fences with Korchinski, a defender with size and outstanding skating to combine with his elite playmaking. Korchinski is a riverboat gambler who creates chances for both teams whenever he’s on the ice, but if he can tone it down a bit the upside is simply tremendous.
  16. Buffalo: RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP the Sabres need high-end RD to pair with their elite LD combo of Power/Dahlin, and there’s no more perfect option than Chesley. The physical Minnesotan is the most accomplished shut-down D in the entire 2022 class and features very good skating and a cannon-blast for a shot.
  17. Nashville: RW Jimmy Snuggerud, US-NTDP here’s a case where a player fits a team’s drafting MO perfectly — Snuggerud is a 6’2 power forward who might be the best defensive wing in the draft and adds the requisite offensive skill to play with high-end, top 6 forwards.
  18. Dallas: LW/C Jiri Kulich, HC Karlovy Czechia no team has drafted smarter in the past two years than the Stars, and here I have them hitting another home run with the ultra-competitive, heady Czech with high-end skills across the board. Kulich absolutely dominated the U-18 tournament, dispelling any concerns about his so-so numbers in the Czech elite league — this kid is a stud.
  19. Minnesota: C/LW Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP new Wild GM Billy Guerin likes skilled, physical players up front and McGroarty is quite possibly the most physical forward in the draft and was arguably the US-NTDP’s best all-around player this year. The native Nebraskan is the penultimate “everything high-end except skating” player, but has adapted his game to be an impact player regardless.
  20. Washington: LD Lian Bichsel, Leksands Sweden years of competing at the top of the standings has left the Caps with needs all over the prospect pool, but defense stands out. The young 6’5 Swiss native skates like the wind and features eye-popping puck skills for a player of his size.
  21. Pittsburgh: LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens SHL the Pens are on a perennial quest for scoring wings, and the big Swede combines a high-compete 200-foot game with elite-shooting ability and the potential to thrive in an NHL top 6.
  22. Anaheim: LD Owen Pickering, Swift Current WHL the Ducks have long coveted big, fast defenders and this 6’5 raw project can absolutely fly. Pickering also has intriguing capabilities on both sides of the puck, though he’s a long-term project and his drafting team will need to display patience. Still in the midst of a rebuild, Anaheim makes a lot of sense here.
  23. St. Louis: C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL the Blues love tough, physical players and Gaucher is as physical as any center in the draft; he’s also fast, competitive, two-ways, with a rocket of a shot. Nothing not to like here, just a perfect instance of a good player fitting the prototype for a good hockey organization.
  24. Minnesota: LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL with two picks in the 1st round after the Fiala trade, the Wild can afford to roll the dice on a forward with light years more upside than Fiala. Miro combines the speed/size/skill of a top 5 overall pick, but a bout with Hodgkin’s Disease and Russian nationality drop him to a place where he’s a good bet for the steal of the 2022 draft.
  25. Toronto: C Noah Ostlund, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. if there’s a Sebastian Aho in the 2022 class, it’s Ostlund — the young Swede combines elite skill, speed and playmaking to match Logan Cooley but size concerns will drop him lower than he probably deserves. Among the Leafs drafting strengths in recent years is they value upside over size, and Ostlund would make a shrewd swing for the fences late in the 1st round.
  26. Montreal: RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL after getting an elite center in Wright, the Habs can address an organizational dearth on D out of their own Quebec backyard. Luneau might lack a singular elite skill, but he’s literally very good in every single aspect of hockey, making him a high-floor prospect for the future middle pairing.
  27. Arizona: C/RW Brad Lambert, Pelicans Finland I have Lambert as the biggest faller in the draft, as the one-time consensus top 3 forward could fall precipitously due to concerns about his compete level, consistency and two-way play. However, with a ridiculous 7 picks in the top 50, Arizona can afford to take a chance on the very best skater in the draft — a kid who also features elite puck skills and playmaking potential.
  28. Buffalo: LW Isaac Howard, US-NTDP the Sabres are loaded in the future of the RW but can use some bolstering on the LW. The young Wisconsin native would be just what the doctor ordered — his high-end compete, shooting and playmaking resulted in his leading an ultra-talented 2022 US-NTDP in scoring this past year.
  29. Edmonton: RW Jagger Firkus, Moose Jaw WHL the Oilers need scoring wingers to pair with the best center duo on earth, McDavid and Draisaitl. Firkus has hands as silky as anyone in the 2022 class and skill for miles, but needs to improve his core strength and 200-foot game.
  30. Winnipeg: RD Sam Rinzel, Waterloo USHL the Jets draft as well as any team, and there’s no denying the stratospheric upside of Rinzel. The native Minnesotan is 6’4, oozing skill and can skate with any D-man in the 2022 class. He’s a project for sure, but a potential top-pair RD is extremely difficult to find anywhere, much less this late in the draft.
  31. Tampa Bay: W Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL when you are a perennial cup contender, it’s difficult to give the system an influx of elite-level skill players. Therefore, I expect a smart Tampa organization to draft a lot out of Russia, where a terrific 2022 draft class seems destined to fall due to political pressures. Perevalov combines elite shooting, playmaking and puck-handling with high intelligence and compete; he’s the penultimate “everything but speed” winger.
  32. Arizona: LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL the prototypical “if he were 6’3, he’d be a top 10 pick” defender, the 5’11 speedster is as offensively skilled as any defender in the 2022 class and adds a competitive and respectable game in his own zone. Controls the pace of play as well as any D-man in the 2022 class except perhaps Nemec, Mateychuk is just a great pick for the late 1st round.
  33. Montreal: C Jack Hughes, Northeastern University GM Kent Hughes drafts his son, making another great story for the 2022 draft. But it’s important to keep in mind that The Other Jack Hughes deserves to be taken here — he’s a quick and super-smart two-way center with high-end playmaking ability.
  34. Arizona: C/RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL man, it seems like Arizona goes up to the podium every other pick — there’s a good chance they’ll package a few picks to move up. Trikozov is an incredibly elusive and smart forward who has top-line scoring upside if he can compete with more consistency.
  35. Seattle: LW Reid Schaefer, Seattle WHL the Kraken reach into their own backyard to take perhaps the most physical forward in the draft. But Schaefer is not simply a banger, he’s a high-end defensive forward with a thunderous one-timer from the slot. Were he a faster skater, Schaefer would have a chance at the top 20.
  36. Arizona: RD Elias Salomonsson, Skelleftea J20, Sweden Jr. with seemingly a bajillion picks in the top 50, the Coyotes can afford to take a risk on the immensely talented but defensively challenged young Swede.
  37. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL GM Tom Fitzgerald has cited a clear need to get tougher to play against, especially on the back end. The Devils are also organizationally bereft at RD. The 6’5 Warren is fast and as physical as any defender in the 2022 class and possesses very competent puck skills for a player of this ilk. Warren would make a picture-perfect future pairing with Devils uber-prospect Luke Hughes, as the punishing giant also displays a high hockey IQ and the ability to shut down the opposition through great gaps and positioning.
  38. Chicago: C Owen Beck, Mississauga OHL lacking a 1st round pick due to the Seth Jones trade, the Blackhawks find a 1st round-caliber gem in Beck, a speedy two-way center with an elite hockey IQ and a knack for clutch goals and big moments.
  39. Ottawa: RD Maveric Lamoureux, Drummondville QMJHL no player in the 2022 draft screams “Senators pick” more than this 6’7 behemoth. Lamoureux needs a lot of work on his overall game, but he’s a good skater and ferocious hitter who likes to rush the puck up ice himself; a rare skill-set, but a player you’ll need patience for. In the midst of a rebuild with a stacked prospect pool, Ottawa will find such a risk worth taking.
  40. Detroit: RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia I have Mesar ranked a good deal higher than this, as he’s extremely fast with high-end skills across the board. However, his lack of 6’0 size or a singular elite skill could drop him to a point in the second round where a shrewd front office like Detroit’s could pounce.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Guys, I really hope you enjoy this. Feel free to post your own mock drafts on the thread, it will be fun to discuss the prospects and which teams could be interested.

If anyone has any questions about why I've mocked a player to any team, feel free to ask and I'll be glad to explain my logic.
Just curious, how many games of each prospect do you watch? When do you start that process? Do you tend to watch games where multiple players from the class are involved? Anyways thanks for the hard work and the write ups it’s much appreciated. It gives some of us who don’t follow amateur hockey an insight

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just curious, how many games of each prospect do you watch? When do you start that process? Do you tend to watch games where multiple players from the class are involved? Anyways thanks for the hard work and the write ups it’s much appreciated. It gives some of us who don’t follow amateur hockey an insight
Depends on the prospect. I'm not often searching hockeyTV for USHL games for 6th round prospects, but I've been actively watching Shane Wright and David Jiricek for over two years.

Yes, I try to flag games where multiple players are involved. When Moose Jaw played Winnipeg, I knew I'd get to see 5 major guys in Mateychuk, Firkus, Savoie, Geekie and Milne. If an MHL game had Omskie v Loko Yaroslavl, I'd get to judge Perevalov and Trikozov against each other.

I start the process as early as possible, but don't like to rank at all until I'm more familiar with the draft class. I'm also not afraid to weigh other opinions against my own, and actively communicate with other draft writers, especially Steve Kournianos, whom I consider to be the very best in the business. I research other draft bureau opinions against my own before any of my prospect write-ups, because I'm not perfect and don't get to give a Servac Petrovsky the same amount of attention as a Simon Nemec. Sometimes I really fall in love with a prospect and break my routines to watch them specifically, as happened this year with Adam Sykora, Logan Morrison, Artyom Koromyslov, Sandis Vilmanis or Dylan James. Certain prospects are really hard to find the games for -- most of my Alex Bump analysis relied upon the Minnesota state HS hockey finals.

I often have hockey on my computer in the background if I'm cooking or cleaning my apartment or whatever. It's not as if I sit around with my face glued to the screen all day. But to get an idea of my dedication, I missed a lot of NHL playoff games I wanted to watch in order to watch the CHL playoffs. This made me sad, but I wanted to do a very good job with my draft writing for the Devils HFBoards this year since @thethinglonger and @Guadana have been extremely busy with other, more important concerns in life.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I think a Slafkovsky/Warren combo is a very real possibility and one I really like. Players like Warren who's games are built around defense are always undervalued by the internet scouts and media but when they're in the NHL contributing 20+ mins a night shutting down the opposing offense 5v5 and on the PK then every fan is willing to give a ton to get that type of player.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think a Slafkovsky/Warren combo is a very real possibility and one I really like. Players like Warren who's games are built around defense are always undervalued by the internet scouts and media but when they're in the NHL contributing 20+ mins a night shutting down the opposing offense 5v5 and on the PK then every fan is willing to give a ton to get that type of player.
Agreed 100%. We also have to take into account positional value -- Cs and RDs are generally toughest to find through trades, and their value rises via the rule of supply and demand.

But don't get me wrong, Noah Warren is an outstanding prospect of his own right. The inimitable @Guttersniped and myself have been pumping his high-level potential pretty much all year long. Warren is 6'5, smart and competitive. He skates well, especially for a defenseman as big and physical as he is. He's great defensively, solid in transition and in the offensive zone. Big shot. Really nothing not to like about this kid.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Here's my Noah Warren write-up from a few months back, for the Devils fans who wish to know more about a very, very possible NJ target at #37 overall:

RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL (STI Ranking #42, McKenzie #41)
Noah Warren is a prospect who makes my job here pretty easy, because he's a very simple player who is extremely effective in his strengths and does not attempt to be anything else. The Quebec native is 6'5-215 and routinely the strongest and most physical player on the ice. He skates well, and uses the combination of his wing-span, strength, high compete and high defensive awareness to make life literally hell for any opposing forwards daring to challenge him in the defensive zone. I've seen softer opposing forwards literally avoid the corners or crease whenever Warren is on the ice, I've seen them pull up and flutter weak, zero-percentage shots on net from bad positions to avoid challenging him. Warren is the big dog on the block, and he has no shortage of teeth to his game.

It's important to note that Warren is not just a power defender, he's also a smart one. He does not take dumb penalties, and he does not leave position to seek the big hit he is capable of. He is positionally strong and fundamentally sound. But he's also not a weapon in transition. If, once he attains possession, Warren does not see an immediate pass option, he does not like to handle the puck -- he'll prefer to just bang it up the boards and out of danger. Warren's biggest problem would lie in puckhandling, as he does not have good hands and he's strictly north/south in his mindset. He's usually the last man to enter the offensive zone, and he rarely activates from the point. Where Warren does offer some offensive capability is in his shot, which is a freaking bomb from the point. He'll accumulate points in whatever level he plays in simply by unleashing his cannon and scoring off rebounds, deflections, or just cleanly blowing pucks past goaltenders. That being said, the shot is the limit to Warren's impressing with his offensive capability.

Noah Warren shows intriguing potential as a physical, shut-down, stay-at home defender for a future NHL bottom-4. Warren's combination of defensive dominance, high intelligence, extreme physicality and mobility make him a potential shut-down monster at any level.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Based on the interview with Mark Dennehey on the Devils podcast it sounds like he’d need a champion. Hopefulky someone on the staff reads this and goes to bat for him
Well, that's the wrong way to work a draft war room. Every prospect should be discussed by the entire scouting staff, at least with the top 100 or so prospects on the board.

Our QMJHL scout has only one pick in past two years, and it was a winner -- Dawson Mercer. This year, there are three prospects possibly available from the Q who should be getting big-time attention from the Devils brass with the #37 pick -- Warren plus Tristan Luneau and Nathan Gaucher, and Luneau/Gaucher will 90% be gone by this pick.

Overall it's not a strong year for the QMJHL. Later round possible sleeper prospects are highlighted by RW/C Daniil Bourosh, RW Jordan Dumais and LW Antonin Verreault, but there's really not much else on the blueline except Maveric Lamoureux, who is likely to be over-drafted due to his 6'7 frame.

As such, the entire Devils scouting staff should be very familiar with Noah Warren.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Guys, I really hope you enjoy this. Feel free to post your own mock drafts on the thread, it will be fun to discuss the prospects and which teams could be interested.

If anyone has any questions about why I've mocked a player to any team, feel free to ask and I'll be glad to explain my logic.
Been looking forward to this! Thank you for all the hard work. All of your write ups and comments make the draft a lot more exciting and I feel a lot smarter about the prospects. Thanks again

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
1. I like your Mock Draft, I don't think Habs will draft Hughes just because he doesn't want to put his son under such pressure. If Hughes picks his Son and he doesn't live up to the exact expectations and fails even a little bit both the father and the son would be crucified by the Montreal media.

2. I don't know if you know but Steve Kournianos posted on the in the Mckenzie draft rankings thread in the Main Draft board and stated his opinion that "Mckenzie's draft ranking isn't a ranking and is really just a mock draft in sheeps clothing and criticised it" This is just a summarization of his words but I was wondering what you're thought on it is. is he right?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Been looking forward to this! Thank you for all the hard work. All of your write ups and comments make the draft a lot more exciting and I feel a lot smarter about the prospects. Thanks again
Thanks a lot for the kind words, they mean a lot to me!

I tried to make it easier for you to get a quick run-down of anyone the Devils (or anyone else) might draft with my alphabetical prospect write-up index. I figure it will be a nice, easy resource for you guys come draft day:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thanks a lot for the kind words, they mean a lot to me!

I tried to make it easier for you to get a quick run-down of anyone the Devils (or anyone else) might draft with my alphabetical prospect write-up index. I figure it will be a nice, easy resource for you guys come draft day:

Oh sure he gets the big thank you while I get insulted and told that watching tv is too dangerous for me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
1. I like your Mock Draft, I don't think Habs will draft Hughes just because he doesn't want to put his son under such pressure. If Hughes picks his Son and he doesn't live up to the exact expectations and fails even a little bit both the father and the son would be crucified by the Montreal media.

2. I don't know if you know but Steve Kournianos posted on the in the Mckenzie draft rankings thread in the Main Draft board and stated his opinion that "Mckenzie's draft ranking isn't a ranking and is really just a mock draft in sheeps clothing and criticised it" This is just a summarization of his words but I was wondering what you're thought on it is. is he right?
1. Thanks a lot. You raise a great point about The Other Jack Hughes, and I thought about this to some degree and almost mocked Owen Beck to the Habs at #33. But -- and maybe you're right and I'm wrong -- I eventually decided that the pressure would not be so great if Hughes were their third pick in the draft after getting a potential franchise player in Wright and a bluechip defender in Luneau.

2. Steve Kournianos is a man of great conviction, which is a good reason why he is so good at what he does. Many draft writers are more concerned with how their rankings and opinions align with the consensus than with what is really true or right. A great thing about Steve is he just doesn't care and always goes with his knowledge and his gut.

However, that doesn't mean I always agree with him, as I have my own convictions, as well. I honestly feel McKenzie's rankings are a tremendous resource because they are culled from the collective opinions of 10 NHL scouts, giving us a reasonable assessment of how NHL teams are thinking about the prospects.

Several of the scouting bureaus also subscribe to this to some degree, which is why I consider McKeen's and FC Hockey to be very strong resources. But I also appreciate the strong opinions and differing viewpoints of a Steve Kournianos or Cam Robinson or Corey Pronman or Craig Button or Scott Wheeler... and hopefully I'm in that league as well, although on a smaller scale.

It's sure as hell not easy to analyze thousands of hours of hockey games and prospects, then to fight off the knee-jerk viewpoints of many people who have never even watched the kids play, based on a reactionary article by a jaded beat reporter or computer printout by Byron Bader.

It's tough for Kournianos because he puts so much effort into what he does, only to have people tweet him negative and nasty stuff without the knowledge to back it. People who argue without knowledge, as we all know, are usually the people who argue with the greatest amount of insults and vitriol. After all, we live in the unfortunate age of, "If you have no point, just yell louder than the other person."

You've probably seen me lose patience as well, with people who are like: "drafting is just throwing darts, no one really knows". This drives me nuts -- if I don't know something, I educate myself on it so I do know. That's why I watch so much of these kids, so I can then relay it to you guys and then we all know more about all the players and have great discussions about them.

Oh sure he gets the big thank you while I get insulted and told that watching tv is too dangerous for me.
Footloose is very dangerous. Beware of the Kevin Bacon. Also, thanks to you, too @My3Sons !!!

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
1. Thanks a lot. You raise a great point about The Other Jack Hughes, and I thought about this to some degree and almost mocked Owen Beck to the Habs at #33. But -- and maybe you're right and I'm wrong -- I eventually decided that the pressure would not be so great if Hughes were their third pick in the draft after getting a potential franchise player in Wright and a bluechip defender in Luneau.

2. Steve Kournianos is a man of great conviction, which is a good reason why he is so good at what he does. Many draft writers are more concerned with how their rankings and opinions align with the consensus than with what is really true or right. A great thing about Steve is he just doesn't care and always goes with his knowledge and his gut.

However, that doesn't mean I always agree with him, as I have my own convictions, as well. I honestly feel McKenzie's rankings are a tremendous resource because they are culled from the collective opinions of 10 NHL scouts, giving us a reasonable assessment of how NHL teams are thinking about the prospects.

Several of the scouting bureaus also subscribe to this to some degree, which is why I consider McKeen's and FC Hockey to be very strong resources. But I also appreciate the strong opinions and differing viewpoints of a Steve Kournianos or Cam Robinson or Corey Pronman or Craig Button or Scott Wheeler... and hopefully I'm in that league as well, although on a smaller scale.

It's sure as hell not easy to analyze thousands of hours of hockey games and prospects, then to fight off the knee-jerk viewpoints of many people who have never even watched the kids play, based on a reactionary article by a jaded beat reporter or computer printout by Byron Bader.

It's tough for Kournianos because he puts so much effort into what he does, only to have people tweet him negative and nasty stuff without the knowledge to back it. People who argue without knowledge, as we all know, are usually the people who argue with the greatest amount of insults and vitriol. After all, we live in the unfortunate age of, "If you have no point, just yell louder than the other person."

You've probably seen me lose patience as well, with people who are like: "drafting is just throwing darts, no one really knows". This drives me nuts -- if I don't know something, I educate myself on it so I do know. That's why I watch so much of these kids, so I can then relay it to you guys and then we all know more about all the players and have great discussions about them.

Footloose is very dangerous. Beware of the Kevin Bacon. Also, thanks to you, too @My3Sons !!!

"If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell"

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
2022 Devils-Centric Final Mock Draft, Top 40 Picks
This is not a ranking, but a hypothetical scenario of how the draft might go. I study all the prospects and all 32 franchises, so I do my best to remain objective based on each organization’s needs and general draft tendencies.

1. Montreal: C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL the choice between Wright and Slafkovsky is unbelievably difficult, as they have separated themselves as the two best players in the 2022 draft. But ultimately, Montreal won’t pass on a high-end, franchise-caliber potential right-shot 1C. Wright is a high-IQ, elite-skilled two-way force up the middle, it’s that simple.
  2. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland for the second straight year, the Devils fall into an *easy* pick — the clear-cut best available player is also precisely what they need: a big, interior forward with the elite skills and high IQ to play alongside a dazzling young center tandem of Hughes and Hischier. Just a huge win for the New Jersey organization. If Montreal opts for Slafkovsky, which is possible, the most likely scenario here is that the Devils just go with Wright, but it does realistically open the possibility of a trade-down scenario. However, those options will be limited, as the Devils most likely targets would be Jiricek or Gauthier, both likely to be drafted top 6.
  3. Arizona: C/LW Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the Coyotes raise a few eyebrows by going with Gauthier, but it makes sense. The Arizona native is an increasingly rare Tkachuk-like physical force who also possesses an elite shot and excellent skates. The news that Gauthier is returning to his natural center position of center at Boston College exponentially increases his value to the center-starved Coyotes. This kid will score a ton of goals at the NHL level, both greasy and pretty.
  4. Seattle: RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia after drafting a franchise center last year in Beniers, Seattle finds a franchise defender in the sublime puck-mover and transition stud Nemec. The young Slovakian is also very good defensively and closer to NHL-readiness than any 2022-eligible defenseman.
  5. Philadelphia: C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP the Flyers are thin organizationally up the middle and Cooley gives them a high-end young center who plays with as much speed and pace as any forward in the 2022 class. Cooley is also extremely skilled and plays a good alba-round game, giving him an extremely high floor.
  6. Columbus: RD David Jiricek, HC Plzen, Czechia the Blue Jackets like to draft big, physical players and 6'3 Jiricek offers this plus shut-down defensive upside. Jiricek adds to a tantalizing package of outstanding puck skill and the hardest shot in the entire 2022 draft class… it’s an absolute howitzer from the point.
  7. Ottawa: C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL the Senators have a loaded prospect pool, with only discernible needs at center and RD. They like big, North Americans and don’t pay much attention to the consensus, so they won’t care what the media has to say about them reaching for a bit for a 6’4 center with a litany of elite skills. Geekie has yet to play to close to his capabilities with any consistency, but the tool kit is certainly there.
  8. Detroit: C Marko Kasper, Rogle Sweden GM Steve Yzerman would love a long-term top-two center tandem with Dylan Larkin, and he loves high-IQ, high-compete players. Kasper fills this bill perfectly — and adds elite speed, physicality and two-way acumen to a package which includes an under appreciated offensive skill-set.
  9. Buffalo: C Matthew Savoie, Winnipeg WHL the Sabres have two areas of clear-cut need: at center and RD. Savoie may be small, but his ability to generate offense can contend with any player in the 2022 class. He’s a dynamic passer and scorer who creates excitement every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone.
  10. Anaheim: RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland though the Ducks normally draft for size and speed, there’s a new sheriff in town with GM Pat Verbeek, who seems to have a more diverse view of what it takes to win in the NHL. Kemell might be the best pure finisher in the 2022 class, and the idea of pairing him with the brilliant passing ability of Trevor Zegras is extremely tantalizing.
  11. San Jose: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens Sweden the Sharks also have big needs for the blueline, but here I have them opting for a lethal sniper to pair in the future with the sublime playmaker they took #7 overall last year in William Eklund.
  12. Columbus: LW Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL it’s very difficult to project where the Russians will go due to the political unrest in Ukraine. But the Blue Jackets have traditionally scouted the region very well, and they love high-compete, two-way power forwards like Yurov, who also adds top-6 caliber scoring skills.
  13. NY Islanders: LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL with a weak overall prospect pool, the Isles have needs virtually everywhere, but LD has to stand out as the thinnest organizational position. Already in North America, Mintyukov represents less risk than the Russians currently playing in their home country and his mix of size, speed and elite offensive skill makes him a good bet to go top 15.
  14. Winnipeg: RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP the Jets love drafting from the US-NTDP and Nazar would be represent tremendous upside in the mid-1st round; he’s fast and smart and overflowing with elite skills, and despite his small stature he thrives in the interior. He might be the Brayden Point-iest player in the 2022 class.
  15. Vancouver: LD Kevin Korchinski, Seattle WHL the Canucks have clear needs on the blueline, so they swing for the fences with Korchinski, a defender with size and outstanding skating to combine with his elite playmaking. Korchinski is a riverboat gambler who creates chances for both teams whenever he’s on the ice, but if he can tone it down a bit the upside is simply tremendous.
  16. Buffalo: RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP the Sabres need high-end RD to pair with their elite LD combo of Power/Dahlin, and there’s no more perfect option than Chesley. The physical Minnesotan is the most accomplished shut-down D in the entire 2022 class and features very good skating and a cannon-blast for a shot.
  17. Nashville: RW Jimmy Snuggerud, US-NTDP here’s a case where a player fits a team’s drafting MO perfectly — Snuggerud is a 6’2 power forward who might be the best defensive wing in the draft and adds the requisite offensive skill to play with high-end, top 6 forwards.
  18. Dallas: LW/C Jiri Kulich, HC Karlovy Czechia no team has drafted smarter in the past two years than the Stars, and here I have them hitting another home run with the ultra-competitive, heady Czech with high-end skills across the board. Kulich absolutely dominated the U-18 tournament, dispelling any concerns about his so-so numbers in the Czech elite league — this kid is a stud.
  19. Minnesota: C/LW Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP new Wild GM Billy Guerin likes skilled, physical players up front and McGroarty is quite possibly the most physical forward in the draft and was arguably the US-NTDP’s best all-around player this year. The native Nebraskan is the penultimate “everything high-end except skating” player, but has adapted his game to be an impact player regardless.
  20. Washington: LD Lian Bichsel, Leksands Sweden years of competing at the top of the standings has left the Caps with needs all over the prospect pool, but defense stands out. The young 6’5 Swiss native skates like the wind and features eye-popping puck skills for a player of his size.
  21. Pittsburgh: LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens SHL the Pens are on a perennial quest for scoring wings, and the big Swede combines a high-compete 200-foot game with elite-shooting ability and the potential to thrive in an NHL top 6.
  22. Anaheim: LD Owen Pickering, Swift Current WHL the Ducks have long coveted big, fast defenders and this 6’5 raw project can absolutely fly. Pickering also has intriguing capabilities on both sides of the puck, though he’s a long-term project and his drafting team will need to display patience. Still in the midst of a rebuild, Anaheim makes a lot of sense here.
  23. St. Louis: C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL the Blues love tough, physical players and Gaucher is as physical as any center in the draft; he’s also fast, competitive, two-ways, with a rocket of a shot. Nothing not to like here, just a perfect instance of a good player fitting the prototype for a good hockey organization.
  24. Minnesota: LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL with two picks in the 1st round after the Fiala trade, the Wild can afford to roll the dice on a forward with light years more upside than Fiala. Miro combines the speed/size/skill of a top 5 overall pick, but a bout with Hodgkin’s Disease and Russian nationality drop him to a place where he’s a good bet for the steal of the 2022 draft.
  25. Toronto: C Noah Ostlund, Djurgardens J20, Sweden Jr. if there’s a Sebastian Aho in the 2022 class, it’s Ostlund — the young Swede combines elite skill, speed and playmaking to match Logan Cooley but size concerns will drop him lower than he probably deserves. Among the Leafs drafting strengths in recent years is they value upside over size, and Ostlund would make a shrewd swing for the fences late in the 1st round.
  26. Montreal: RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL after getting an elite center in Wright, the Habs can address an organizational dearth on D out of their own Quebec backyard. Luneau might lack a singular elite skill, but he’s literally very good in every single aspect of hockey, making him a high-floor prospect for the future middle pairing.
  27. Arizona: C/RW Brad Lambert, Pelicans Finland I have Lambert as the biggest faller in the draft, as the one-time consensus top 3 forward could fall precipitously due to concerns about his compete level, consistency and two-way play. However, with a ridiculous 7 picks in the top 50, Arizona can afford to take a chance on the very best skater in the draft — a kid who also features elite puck skills and playmaking potential.
  28. Buffalo: LW Isaac Howard, US-NTDP the Sabres are loaded in the future of the RW but can use some bolstering on the LW. The young Wisconsin native would be just what the doctor ordered — his high-end compete, shooting and playmaking resulted in his leading an ultra-talented 2022 US-NTDP in scoring this past year.
  29. Edmonton: RW Jagger Firkus, Moose Jaw WHL the Oilers need scoring wingers to pair with the best center duo on earth, McDavid and Draisaitl. Firkus has hands as silky as anyone in the 2022 class and skill for miles, but needs to improve his core strength and 200-foot game.
  30. Winnipeg: RD Sam Rinzel, Waterloo USHL the Jets draft as well as any team, and there’s no denying the stratospheric upside of Rinzel. The native Minnesotan is 6’4, oozing skill and can skate with any D-man in the 2022 class. He’s a project for sure, but a potential top-pair RD is extremely difficult to find anywhere, much less this late in the draft.
  31. Tampa Bay: W Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL when you are a perennial cup contender, it’s difficult to give the system an influx of elite-level skill players. Therefore, I expect a smart Tampa organization to draft a lot out of Russia, where a terrific 2022 draft class seems destined to fall due to political pressures. Perevalov combines elite shooting, playmaking and puck-handling with high intelligence and compete; he’s the penultimate “everything but speed” winger.
  32. Arizona: LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL the prototypical “if he were 6’3, he’d be a top 10 pick” defender, the 5’11 speedster is as offensively skilled as any defender in the 2022 class and adds a competitive and respectable game in his own zone. Controls the pace of play as well as any D-man in the 2022 class except perhaps Nemec, Mateychuk is just a great pick for the late 1st round.
  33. Montreal: C Jack Hughes, Northeastern University GM Kent Hughes drafts his son, making another great story for the 2022 draft. But it’s important to keep in mind that The Other Jack Hughes deserves to be taken here — he’s a quick and super-smart two-way center with high-end playmaking ability.
  34. Arizona: C/RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL man, it seems like Arizona goes up to the podium every other pick — there’s a good chance they’ll package a few picks to move up. Trikozov is an incredibly elusive and smart forward who has top-line scoring upside if he can compete with more consistency.
  35. Seattle: LW Reid Schaefer, Seattle WHL the Kraken reach into their own backyard to take perhaps the most physical forward in the draft. But Schaefer is not simply a banger, he’s a high-end defensive forward with a thunderous one-timer from the slot. Were he a faster skater, Schaefer would have a chance at the top 20.
  36. Arizona: RD Elias Salomonsson, Skelleftea J20, Sweden Jr. with seemingly a bajillion picks in the top 50, the Coyotes can afford to take a risk on the immensely talented but defensively challenged young Swede.
  37. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RD Noah Warren, Gatineau QMJHL GM Tom Fitzgerald has cited a clear need to get tougher to play against, especially on the back end. The Devils are also organizationally bereft at RD. The 6’5 Warren is fast and as physical as any defender in the 2022 class and possesses very competent puck skills for a player of this ilk. Warren would make a picture-perfect future pairing with Devils uber-prospect Luke Hughes, as the punishing giant also displays a high hockey IQ and the ability to shut down the opposition through great gaps and positioning.
  38. Chicago: C Owen Beck, Mississauga OHL lacking a 1st round pick due to the Seth Jones trade, the Blackhawks find a 1st round-caliber gem in Beck, a speedy two-way center with an elite hockey IQ and a knack for clutch goals and big moments.
  39. Ottawa: RD Maveric Lamoureux, Drummondville QMJHL no player in the 2022 draft screams “Senators pick” more than this 6’7 behemoth. Lamoureux needs a lot of work on his overall game, but he’s a good skater and ferocious hitter who likes to rush the puck up ice himself; a rare skill-set, but a player you’ll need patience for. In the midst of a rebuild with a stacked prospect pool, Ottawa will find such a risk worth taking.
  40. Detroit: RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia I have Mesar ranked a good deal higher than this, as he’s extremely fast with high-end skills across the board. However, his lack of 6’0 size or a singular elite skill could drop him to a point in the second round where a shrewd front office like Detroit’s could pounce.
Arizona making McTavish 2.0 move with their native boy Cutter. I like it! Few years after it could be huge and everybody will forget their own words about bad draft year.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Agreed 100%. We also have to take into account positional value -- Cs and RDs are generally toughest to find through trades, and their value rises via the rule of supply and demand.

But don't get me wrong, Noah Warren is an outstanding prospect of his own right. The inimitable @Guttersniped and myself have been pumping his high-level potential pretty much all year long. Warren is 6'5, smart and competitive. He skates well, especially for a defenseman as big and physical as he is. He's great defensively, solid in transition and in the offensive zone. Big shot. Really nothing not to like about this kid.
On my taste picking Warren by early 2nd round pick is a bit of a reach, but I don't think Fitz is a guy who afraid to pick his guy earlier.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Did a mock draft with a friend for fun, looked at it afterwards and though "wow I'm going to get every pick after 4-5 wrong" but pleasantly surprised I have 9 of the same picks as you :laugh:.

I felt like after 12 or so the next 15 picks could go in like any order. What are your perceived falloffs and such?

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Thank you!

I'd love to get Rinzel with our second round, or possibly steal if someone from mid first drops. But I'd be happy with Warren too.

Here's just my top10 prediction. I think Arizona takes a C and Philly goes for grit (pun intended). Seattle takes a D, I think it's Nemec, but it could be Jiricek too. Columbus could take whoever, Jarmo always surprises (chinakov, pld) but I feel like they gotta take whoever from the top guys is left (Jiricek, Nemec, Gauthier). Ottawa is pretty set on C and D, so I think they go for scoring winger. Lekkerimäki feels like a Detroit kinda pick, but they really need centers so I think they go with the big Geekie brother (I can easily see them taking Kasper too). Buffalo always seems to take the popular guys with stats, so I have Savoie going for them (they might take a scoring winger too). Anaheim also has good C and D pieces so I see them going for a scoring winger so Lekkerimäki surprises some and goes top10. So..

1. MTL Wright
2. NJ Slafkovsky
3. ARI Cooley
4. SEA Nemec
5. PHI Gauthier
6. COL CLB Jiricek
7. OTT Kemell
8. DET Geekie
9. BUF Savoie
10. ANA Lekkerimäki

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Thank you!

I'd love to get Rinzel with our second round, or possibly steal if someone from mid first drops. But I'd be happy with Warren too.

Here's just my top10 prediction. I think Arizona takes a C and Philly goes for grit (pun intended). Seattle takes a D, I think it's Nemec, but it could be Jiricek too. Columbus could take whoever, Jarmo always surprises (chinakov, pld) but I feel like they gotta take whoever from the top guys is left (Jiricek, Nemec, Gauthier). Ottawa is pretty set on C and D, so I think they go for scoring winger. Lekkerimäki feels like a Detroit kinda pick, but they really need centers so I think they go with the big Geekie brother (I can easily see them taking Kasper too). Buffalo always seems to take the popular guys with stats, so I have Savoie going for them (they might take a scoring winger too). Anaheim also has good C and D pieces so I see them going for a scoring winger so Lekkerimäki surprises some and goes top10. So..

1. MTL Wright
2. NJ Slafkovsky
3. ARI Cooley
4. SEA Nemec
5. PHI Gauthier
6. COL Jiricek
7. OTT Kemell
8. DET Geekie
9. BUF Savoie
10. ANA Lekkerimäki
Let's hope that if we will draft Rinzel, it would be traded pick in the end of the second or in the third round. Devils will have plenty of options with better floor.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Let's hope that if we will draft Rinzel, it would be traded pick in the end of the second or in the third round. Devils will have plenty of options with better floor.

I just think Rinzel is such a smart guy with leadership qualities and great skating for his size. With all the unknowns how any of these guys will transition to nhl those are qualities I'm willing to bank on.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yeah, I’m good with Warren w/ the 2nd even though I definitely have some reservations picking him this early. His skating and mobility is just so good and he’s a player who’s reportedly improved over the year. It’s a great base. There is risk because development has to go right.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
On my taste picking Warren by early 2nd round pick is a bit of a reach, but I don't think Fitz is a guy who afraid to pick his guy earlier.
Warren is up to #41 on the McKenzie rankings and up to #42 in my rankings, so it's now a good bet NJ is going to have to take him at #37 if he's their guy. He's huge, physical, fast and good defensively and showed a nice development curve in his draft-eligible season. He's a smart kid who is strong in his gaps and positioning. I think he can be a better version of a Brandon Carlo or Brendan Dillon, and NHL teams really value these types. Most would agree the Devils can really use this, especially on the RD side.

Personally, I really wanted Beck or Mesar or Sykora with this pick, but ultimately I went with Warren because it felt like something Fitzgerald would do. And to be honest, for the Devils it would be a good pick.

Did a mock draft with a friend for fun, looked at it afterwards and though "wow I'm going to get every pick after 4-5 wrong" but pleasantly surprised I have 9 of the same picks as you :laugh:.

I felt like after 12 or so the next 15 picks could go in like any order. What are your perceived falloffs and such?
I think there's a fall-off after the first two picks for sure, but thereafter it's more of a general slope downwards. This is certainly a difficult draft to predict, especially the Russians. There's a chance -- though it seems weird -- that Yurov and Miroshnichenko could fall to the 2nd round. It's tough to say what the NHL teams internal discussions about Russian players sound like.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Warren is up to #41 on the McKenzie rankings and up to #42 in my rankings, so it's now a good bet NJ is going to have to take him at #37 if he's their guy. He's huge, physical, fast and good defensively and showed a nice development curve in his draft-eligible season. He's a smart kid who is strong in his gaps and positioning. I think he can be a better version of a Brandon Carlo or Brendan Dillon, and NHL teams really value these types. Most would agree the Devils can really use this, especially on the RD side.

Personally, I really wanted Beck or Mesar or Sykora with this pick, but ultimately I went with Warren because it felt like something Fitzgerald would do. And to be honest, for the Devils it would be a good pick.

I think there's a fall-off after the first two picks for sure, but thereafter it's more of a general slope downwards. This is certainly a difficult draft to predict, especially the Russians. There's a chance -- though it seems weird -- that Yurov and Miroshnichenko could fall to the 2nd round. It's tough to say what the NHL teams internal discussions about Russian players sound like.
When I want to draft defenseman in top-45, I want to see good defensive game with the puck and without the puck. Again I`m not against but he isnt my number one priority there. I easily believe Fitz will draft him there. And I don`t think MTL will pass Beck if they will draft Wright.
And I easily believe one of Sykora or Schaefer will be available. And some of russian guy would be. All three are much better prospects to draft. Cant imagine Gaucher could be. Lets hope Fitz will make a trade and will draft Warren\Mastordomeniko\Rinzel later. You rank Barabosha very high(me too), but I cant imagine he could be not available in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad