World Cup: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@les Habs
Since you asked...
Injured starters : Benzema, Nkunku, Pogba, Kante, Kimpembe, Lucas were sure fire starters. Then Maignan and Kamara were penciled as backups. Varane and Giroud played injured.
Sick players : Upa and Rabiot were the first to get the virus (missed the semi) and then Griez, Giroud, Theo and Dembele. Only Upa finished the game.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Varane almost won two WC and has something like 4 CL by playing humble low key not dirty football.
He's actually the first guy I thought about haha but didn't type his name for some reason. Varane is nothing but class even though he always played for teams I disliked.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Emiliano Martinez got scored on 8 times on 12 shots.
This needs to be contextualised

Against Saudi’s 2 wonders goals when his best defender is unfit.

Australia own goal.

Dutch 2 goals when again his best defender is taken out, including the FK that no keeper has a chance to react.

France 2 penalties.

He had a game saving stop against Australia in the last kick of the match. Another wonder save vs france. Including his penalty heroics vs Dutch and the final. He was immense and came up big, well deserved keeper of the torunament.

Reactions: BMann

member 305909

Instead of only one WC-title England could have three or four but they didn't participate in the 1930s.

They were probably the best in the world but considered the competition not worth their while.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Australia own goal.

Dutch 2 goals when again his best defender is taken out, including the FK that no keeper has a chance to react.

France 2 penalties.

He had a game saving stop against Australia in the last kick of the match. Another wonder save vs france. Including his penalty heroics vs Dutch and the final. He was immense and came up big, well deserved keeper of the torunament.
Saudi Arabia : xg 0.15, 2 goals against
Mexico : xg 0.19 0 goal against
Poland : xg 0.43 0 goal against
Australia : xg 0.58, 1 goal against
Netherlands : xg 0.52, 2 goals against
Croatia : xg 0.54, 0 goal against
France : xg 2.21 (1.6 for pens), 3 goals against

So he got scored on 8 times on xG of 4.62. If you substract the pens (which he's specialized in but), it's 6 goals on 3.02 xg.

Obviously, as you rightfully stated, he came up big in key moments, and his save on Kolo Muani was the only difference between a gold and silver medal.

But I would have given the trophy to Bono.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

So he got scored on 8 times on xG of 4.62. If you substract the pens (which he's specialized in but), it's 6 goals on 3.02 xg.

Obviously, as you rightfully stated, he came up big in key moments, and his save on Kolo Muani was the only difference between a gold and silver medal.

Everyone knows Martinez is a middling goalkeeper who will probably be remembered more for his dick gesture than anything else outside Argentina. But in Argentina he'll never need to buy a drink again, which might come in very handy at some point in the future.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

stats stats stats
Everyone knows Martinez is a middling goalkeeper who will probably be remembered more for his dick gesture than anything else outside Argentina. But in Argentina he'll never need to buy a drink again, which might come in very handy at some point in the future.
Middling that still won more NT trophies than Nuer. Give me this idiot everyday of the week I guess

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Australia own goal.

France 2 penalties.

He finished the game great against France but I don't think there's a legitimate argument that he was the best goaltender of the WC. Every keeper in the final four had a better tournament, IMO. He got it because his team won the WC.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Someone really wrote they're take Martinez over Neuer?

Ouch. Drinking is not good :D
The operative words were "I guess".

I wouldnt blame the other guy for thinking Martinez is average.... They sat on a superior keeper to Nuer for years. Its part of their culture to not recognize good keepers if it hit them in the face.

He finished the game great against France but I don't think there's a legitimate argument that he was the best goaltender of the WC. Every keeper in the final four had a better tournament, IMO. He got it because his team won the WC.
Defintely not Lloris. Emi won 2 peanlties and had a world cup saving stop in the 123 min. he is a well deserved winner.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Middling that still won more NT trophies than Nuer. Give me this idiot everyday of the week I guess
Yeah a career is judged on the totality of it, not a few games in a tournament or one save in ET.

Goycochea had a great tournament in 90, certainly not his fault Argentina didn't win, but over his career he just didn't a lot of notable stuff. Not really remembered as one of the great keepers of the 80s or 90s.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The operative words were "I guess".

I wouldnt blame the other guy for thinking Martinez is average.... They sat on a superior keeper to Nuer for years. Its part of their culture to not recognize good keepers if it hit them in the face.

Defintely not Lloris. Emi won 2 peanlties and had a world cup saving stop in the 123 min. he is a well deserved winner.
Lloris was huge in every game. Except on pens, he had a shout at best goalie easily. I really can't see how you can fault him on anything.
Szczesny is a good shout but lost too early.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lloris was huge in every game. Except on pens, he had a shout at best goalie easily. I really can't see how you can fault him on anything.
Szczesny is a good shout but lost too early.
Not faulting him on anything I just dont think he was more deserving over Emi who bested him

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not faulting him on anything I just dont think he was more deserving over Emi who bested him
Lol, he was clearly better than Emi before the final to me. Not his fault he didn't make saves in PK shootout because he didn't have any.
He was excellent in the final too, but his PK weakness hurt him, which is fine. I didn't even give his name for best goalie.
But yeah, Emi was the worst of the 4 semi finalist keepers.
He came up big in the final with that 123th minute save no doubt. But Bono came up just as big many times in the tournament. Livakovic too as a matter of fact.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lol, he was clearly better than Emi before the final to me. Not his fault he didn't make saves in PK shootout because he didn't have any.
He was excellent in the final too, but his PK weakness hurt him, which is fine. I didn't even give his name for best goalie.
But yeah, Emi was the worst of the 4 semi finalist keepers.
He came up big in the final with that 123th minute save no doubt. But Bono came up just as big many times in the tournament. Livakovic too as a matter of fact.
The final which is the most important game... Emi had to step up in pk and did twice.

Bono and Liv were my picks. Both deserving and I wouldnt bat an eye if either of them won. That isnt what im saying.

Same with Gvardiol over Enzo.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Gvardiol and Enzo is close. Gvardiol did have a bad game in the semis, but of course, bad games at CB are much more obvious.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Gvardiol and Enzo is close. Gvardiol did have a bad game in the semis, but of course, bad games at CB are much more obvious.

Enzo too good and important for Argentina. Not even close for me.

As a goalie I would have given to Livakovic or Bono

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad