Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pavol Regenda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
What’s the argument of Thrun over LaCombe?

Thrun is more advanced at defense than LaCombe, but also has been engaging in offense more. This past year, Thrun put up 32 points in 35 games (0.91 ppg) and a +9 rating. The reason Thrun fell to the fourth round was the same reason Pastujov fell to the third round, bad skating.

Thrun
2019-20, Harvard (NCAA): 21 points in 31 games and +17 rating​
2020-21, Dubuque (USHL): 22 points in 24 games and +4 rating​
2021-22, Harvard (NCAA): 32 points in 35 games and +9 rating​

I think Thrun's defense suffers a bit while developing his offense. He's got the 4th best plus/minus rating for defensemen on the team:

Rifai: +23​
Moore: +16 (this is our Ian Moore)​
Siedem: +16​
Thrun: +9​

=====

LaCombe is a converted D and has been learning to play defense at Minny. He's an offensive guy from high school who skates like the wind! For the past three seasons, his offense just doesn't show up at the start of the season, but once it starts showing up, then he's on a tear. Maybe he can fix that this season.

LaCombe's Plus/Minus rating for the past three seasons at Minny:
2019-20: -1 rating in 37 games​
2020-21: +19 in 27 games​
2021-22: + 26 in 39 games​

I would include blocked shots, but Minny's website must be migrating to a different platform as no stats are available right now. From what I recall, he was first in shot blocks in his freshman year, 2nd/3rd in his sophomore year, and first last year, his junior year.

====

It appears both prospects have improved in aspects they're not known for, Thrun with offense and LaCombe with defense. I just hope we can sign both at the end of their college careers!

Reactions: ShadowDuck

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Stickin with Tracey, kinda surprised he’s not getting more love here

Also shocked gaucher went ahead of Tracey thrun luneau and clang, and I say that as 1 of the more optimistic people about him when we drafted him.

"Stickin with Tracey" sounds like a sitcom.

I went with Thrun 'cos he has a decent potential and I think he's likely to become an NHL player.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Already moved my list around from 20 mins ago; I'm sure it will change it again the more I think about it.

Thrun
Pasta
LaCombe
Helleson
Benoit
Tracey
Warren
Luneau
Benoit is such a tough one to rate, he has already overachieved by becoming a 6th/7th NHL d-man. Tracey and Warren have much higher ceilings?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Seriously, the next 5-10 can easily be interchangeable. Lot of depth in numerous positions. When the time comes to when the Ducks compete, plenty of pieces to trade for needed players.
Exactly, we have a lot of similar prospects so if someone doesn't work out we have 2-4 players in similar spots at least. Our defensive depth is looking real good.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Much more poised and polished defensively.

He is more consistent and better in his own end.
Watching some games in the spring, I didn't saw that.

Thrun looks like he is skating with weights on his ankles, whereas LaCombe looked really poised all the time, doing everything at both ends of the ice.

That being said, I have no idea how Thrun is getting the points so much more than LaCombe lol. My eye test was prefering LaCombe pretty clearly

Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
LaCombe definitely looked better in the rookie camp clips we got. His skating looked fluid and he was smooth in all directions. His passing was on point in drills as well. I think Thrun is a Vaaks type and LaCombe is kind of like Montour-ish player a little better on D but a little worse of a shot. He plays a rover style like Montour. His skating is pretty explosive like Montours at times too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalv

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Watching some games in the spring, I didn't saw that.

Thrun looks like he is skating with weights on his ankles, whereas LaCombe looked really poised all the time, doing everything at both ends of the ice.

That being said, I have no idea how Thrun is getting the points so much more than LaCombe lol. My eye test was prefering LaCombe pretty clearly
Exact reason he dropped three rounds

Reactions: Kalv and bsu

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark