Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Callow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
No, a lot of them won't ever make it to the NHL, but if they do, they have the chance to be a much better player than Benoit, even if it's only a 10 to 20 percent chance. By your argument, Hunter Drew is a better prospect than most of the guys eligible, because he's already played NHL games (and will likely play a few more). I don't think that's the right way to look at it.

But that's the whole point of the polls. People can use whatever criteria they want. And I don't see any problem with wishing on a guy who, if he develops, might be an impact player, and ranking him higher than a guy who can play in the NHL but you wouldn't ever really want to be a regular. And you're certainly free to vote a different way.

And to be clear, I don't agree with the post quoted earlier that we might end up with 19 fringe guys similar to Benoit. But of whatever 19, some will make the NHL and be a lot better than Benoit. We just don't know which ones yet.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
No, a lot of them won't ever make it to the NHL, but if they do, they have the chance to be a much better player than Benoit, even if it's only a 10 to 20 percent chance. By your argument, Hunter Drew is a better prospect than most of the guys eligible, because he's already played NHL games (and will likely play a few more). I don't think that's the right way to look at it.

But that's the whole point of the polls. People can use whatever criteria they want. And I don't see any problem with wishing on a guy who, if he develops, might be an impact player, and ranking him higher than a guy who can play in the NHL but you wouldn't ever really want to be a regular. And you're certainly free to vote a different way.

And to be clear, I don't agree with the post quoted earlier that we might end up with 19 fringe guys similar to Benoit. But of whatever 19, some will make the NHL and be a lot better than Benoit. We just don't know which ones yet.
No it's not because Hunter Drew isn't a solid NHL player. He only played because we had a shit roster and were playing for nothing.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I only speak for myself here, but it is not about NHL games played. It's a mix of proven track record and potential, and the thing is, each of us has that mix totally differently, and that's where the disagreements come from :laugh: Which is totally ok.

Drew is pretty clearly only playing because he can drop the gloves. There are concerns about his skating, so even if he makes it, it's probably in a policeman role.
Benny has played way more games in the NHL, he can fight, he can block shots, can PK, and he is around decent on his skates. Those players usually tend to find a place on teams, especially longer into the season. Very valid point about whether he is even a prospect anymore, I had not thought about that.

Anyone on the list doesn't really have that much of an offensive upside to warrant being picked above Benny, at least for me. Colangelo is big but plays like Comtois from the season when we hated him, but probably with even less offense... So for me, it's just about time to pick Benny over others, who are questionable (but not impossible) to reach a better level than him.

Clang is decent tho. Personally, I am bullish on Hvidston as well - played for Canada U-18, has Terry-esque and Zellweger-esque late birthday, and is prised for his defensive game, combined with a good frame. He played on a very low-scoring Broncos team. Won't pick him for a few more polls probably tho, but he's a sleeper pick for me.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad