• Michael Callow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the fifteenth poll, I am voting for Calle Clang.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2022 Ducks Prospect Rankings

1. C - Mason McTavish (+2)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (2022 draftee)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (+3)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (no change)
5. RW - Jacob Perreault (no change)
6. D - Urho Vaakanainen (2022 acquired)
7. C - Nathan Gaucher (2022 draftee)
8. D - Henry Thrun (-1)
9. RW - Sasha Pastujov (no change)
10. D - Jackson LaCombe (no change)
11. D - Drew Helleson (2022 acquired)
12. LW - Brayden Tracey (-1)
13. D - Noah Warren (2022 draftee)
14. D - Tristan Luneau (2022 draftee)

Our graduates and departures are:

Trevor Zegras
Jamie Drysdale
Alexander Volkov
Josh Mahura
Brendan Guhle
Jack Badini
Roman Durny​

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The guy that fought Tom Wilson.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I went with Colangelo. He's got middle pairing winger upside now that he's finally healthy. Got a scoring rate of 0.93 ppg last year.

Freshman year: 8 games, 0g +3a = 3 pts​
Sophomore year: 29 games, 12g +15a = 27 pts​
Junior year: Could he score 1.00 or more points per game?​

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Going with Benoit this time and next time will go with Clang.
I think its a coin toss 50/50 if one of them pans out but one of them is already in the NHL.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Benny again clearly will be able to play in the NHL for some time.

As previously discussed, Clang I believe is a very good option here as well or even earlier. High potential and under the radar.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I could see 19 guys being fringe nhl players... which is what benoit is

but your right we shuold have voted benoit 1st overall
You can't seriously think 19 of our prospects are going to be even fringe players let alone play a single NHL game than good on you. Reads a little ridiculous to the normal eye though. Second part is just hyperbole. :popcorn:

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The argument regarding Benoit is at least somewhat due to differing opinions on what he is or could be.

Some appear to see him as a bonafide bottom pairing defensive D (ie solid #6 who perhaps matures into a #5 or low end top 4).

Others clearly have him as more of a dime per dozen fringe NHL D, the type that every team has as their 6/7/8 depth and nothing more.

For those in the first category, @bsu makes a valid argument. If you feel that Benoit is already a bonafide bottom pairing D, it's getting hard to justify too many more prospects ahead of him. Law of averages dictates that very few are going to end up getting further than he is now.

But if one sees him as nothing more than fringe depth, there's still enough upside on the board to be excited about. Guys like Clang, Moore, Hinds, Colangelo etc have the potential to pop up and really become something. Then there's also BOG and Andersson who aren't far off and perhaps have more upside.

Among that group above you have three second round picks and two thirds who happen to be big mobile D with all kinds of raw potential. I'm on repeat but it really speaks to the depth of the system that someone there isn't making the top 20.

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'll add that I do think you can read into the contract to some degree when pondering where a player stands in the organization's eyes.

Benoit getting a two way deal at league minimum (750k) with a 100k minors salary and 120k guarantee - sort of tells me that they see the guy on the fringe of the roster at best unless he proves otherwise. After 53 games with the club last year, he likely gets a one way deal if he was being pencilled into a roster spot IMO.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'll add that I do think you can read into the contract to some degree when pondering where a player stands in the organization's eyes.

Benoit getting a two way deal at league minimum (750k) with a 100k minors salary and 120k guarantee - sort of tells me that they see the guy on the fringe of the roster at best unless he proves otherwise. After 53 games with the club last year, he likely gets a one way deal if he was being pencilled into a roster spot IMO.
Not even I think he's penciled into a spot, he's definitely in consideration which is much more than most of these players coming up are ever going to get near. With the recent trade he's most likely going to be an every other day defensemen unless he has a good camp which wouldn't surprise me either. It's fair to say he's a bottom pairing NHL defensemen, the fact he had to be paired with Shattenkirk in the D zone alone and looked solid while playing physical and standing up for teammates. I'm curious to see what happens during camp. He definitely took it past a level of Mahura, they were neck and neck forever. I see no problem voting for Clang if you think he's going to be a long time NHL backup. I'd say that happening is less than 50/50 at this point but who knows with development.

Saying there are 19 prospects our organization has better/that will end up better than Benoit is a reach though.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Saying there are 19 prospects our organization has better/that will end up better than Benoit is a reach though.

Nobody is saying that there are 19 prospects who will end up better than Benoit right now. They’re saying they see Benoit as a fringe piece and they would take a chance on a long shot with much higher upside.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Nobody is saying that there are 19 prospects who will end up better than Benoit right now. They’re saying they see Benoit as a fringe piece and they would take a chance on a long shot with much higher upside.

Clang... could see colangelo as a potential option here too.

Benoit closer to 20 for me

I could see 19 guys being fringe nhl players... which is what benoit is

but your right we shuold have voted benoit 1st overall
You might have him on ignore so maybe you didn't see it.....

EDIT: Nevermind you liked the posts so you must have seen them. I guess it depends if you're voting on history and realism or hope and something thats never happened before. There will not be 19 current prospects of ours that become even fringe NHL players..... But HFBoards thinks everyone's going to reach their upside and loves the mystery box for the most part. Just look at Leaf fans here value of their prospects yearly. If that happens bump this post and expose me to the world I'll happily eat crow because our team will be in tremendous shape we have 20 prospects NHL level.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

EDIT: Nevermind you liked the posts so you must have seen them. I guess it depends if you're voting on history and realism or hope and something thats never happened before. There will not be 19 current prospects of ours that become even fringe NHL players..... But HFBoards thinks everyone's going to reach their upside and loves the mystery box for the most part. Just look at Leaf fans here value of their prospects yearly. If that happens bump this post and expose me to the world I'll happily eat crow because our team will be in tremendous shape we have 20 prospects NHL level.

Literally no one is saying that ...

People are saying bottom pairing defensemen are easily replaceable.

The worst trade I can think of recently, involving a young bottom pairing D from Anaheim, is Marcus Pettersson going to Pittsburgh. Everyone will agree the Ducks lost that trade (Sprong coming back), yet it's a trade that nearly everyone shrugs at today.

Sure, Pettersson would have been nice to have, but defensemen of his calibre are literally available on the free agent market every summer, and sometimes in trades for peanuts (Kulikov for future considerations).

And Pettersson is an example of worst case scenario. We don't even know if Benoit will reach his level.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

For like the 100th time in these threads some people vote w/ upside/ceiling included. There isn’t a rule on how we vote.

The way I see it, I’d trade Benoit long before a lot of these guys because they guys still can potentially be better…. Doesn’t mean they will be but I’d certainly rather wait and let them progress before I move them.

Benoit is done growing there is no more upside, we know what he is and if we moved him we know what we’re losing. but sure continue your little fit like you always do when people have different opinion from you. And for the record most people are more likely to have you on ignore.

I don't think of Benoit as a prospect, so in a prospect ranking he doesn't figure.
That’s another fair point, I know we’re just using the same rules as always for it…. But if you arnt eligible to win rookie of the year I don’t really see you as a prospect

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Alright, let's check out what the prospect discus...

giphy.gif

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Alright, let's check out what the prospect discus...

giphy.gif
To be fair he keeps Bringing up Sam steel being rated #1, but based on his logic sam steel played a good amount of nhl games so we were right to rank him as high as we did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad