2022 Draft Part III: Detroit Red Wings Have The #8 Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Kasper is becoming like last years Mctavish to me. Who i had as the 2nd overall pick on my draft board. VERY nervous he could go 7 to ottawa before us.

Also just listened to a kasper interview, his favorite movie is happy Gilmore. Basically I already love him
As mad as it might make me, it just means that it would push someone else down to the Wings. But really, it feels like he should be the pick almost on a cosmic level. Wings need a center, check. Their last 3 top picks drafted from Europe, check. Close connections to his club team, check. It's like Aiden Hutchinson to the Lions, it's practically meant to be.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
As mad as it might make me, it just means that it would push someone else down to the Wings. But really, it feels like he should be the pick almost on a cosmic level. Wings need a center, check. Their last 3 top picks drafted from Europe, check. Close connections to his club team, check. It's like Aiden Hutchinson to the Lions, it's practically meant to be.
Exactly, and there’s multiple players I’d be okay with instead of him at 8, namely gauthier, savoie or geekie (lowest on geekie out of the 4) but I’m starting to warm up to wanting kasper more than all of them. It’s just a plus he plus for detroit development team rogle and perfect fits our draft needs. Also he’s relatively young for this draft, just turned 18 in april

Reactions: jfrank21

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Exactly, and there’s multiple players I’d be okay with instead of him at 8, namely gauthier, savoie or geekie (lowest on geekie out of the 4) but I’m starting to warm up to wanting kasper more than all of them. It’s just a plus he plus for detroit development team rogle and perfect fits our draft needs. Also he’s relatively young for this draft, just turned 18 in april

I really don't think Geekie should be in the discussion. Can you see him doing as well in the SHL postseason or in the Men's WC this season? I certainly can't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really don't think Geekie should be in the discussion. Can you see him doing as well in the SHL postseason or in the Men's WC this season? I certainly can't.
Chill. He should absolutely be in the discussion considering we need a center and are picking 8th.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Chill. He should absolutely be in the discussion considering we need a center and are picking 8th.
We need a center but I really don't think Geekie should be in the discussion for top 10. I lean more towards Smaht Scouting's assessment of him as someone that's mid teens to 20s in the draft.

Geekie, Kemell and Lekkerimaki are the names I would personally like to avoid at #8 this year considering who else will be on the board at that time. If Detroit ends up with another mid to late 1st? Then sign me up for one.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
No, but it doesnt mean that he couldnt develop into someone who would. Kasper is clearly developing well and is ahead of Geekie at this point, but if things go right for Geekie youve got a special player on your hands so I can see the appeal. I think Geekie has a longer and more tenuous road to the NHL than what Kasper has, hence my preference for Kasper. But if someone snags him (Kasper) first, the Wings could certainly do worse than Geekie.

Really though, Savoie, Kasper, Nazar, Geekie, Lekkerimaki....all on my list. I actually would be pretty happy with Lekkerimaki, so we disagree there. Ive been impressed whenever Ive caught him play. Both at Hlinka and u18s.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need a center but I really don't think Geekie should be in the discussion for top 10. I lean more towards Smaht Scouting's assessment of him as someone that's mid teens to 20s in the draft.

Geekie, Kemell and Lekkerimaki are the names I would personally like to avoid at #8 this year considering who else will be on the board at that time. If Detroit ends up with another mid to late 1st? Then sign me up for one.
I’ll take hockeyprospect’s opinion (the only service that liked Seider) over Smaht Scouting any day, thanks.

To your original point, yeah I think Geekie could match or beat what Kasper did at the J20 level in Sweden, and I think he could have some success against men.

I’d be very curious to see what Kasper would do in the WHL, I won’t act like I know the answer to that.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I’ll take hockeyprospect’s opinion (the only service that liked Seider) over Smaht Scouting any day, thanks.

To your original point, yeah I think Geekie could match or beat what Kasper did at the J20 level in Sweden, and I think he could have some success against men.

I’d be very curious to see what Kasper would do in the WHL, I won’t act like I know the answer to that.

Let's agree to disagree. I really don't think Geekie's skating problems would do him any favors on euro ice. And I don't think he plays with the same pace that Kasper has. That's a big reason why Kasper was able to be in the SHL most of the year and why he was successful in the playoffs and Austria's best player against a pretty good USA team today.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Its really not fair to the rest of the league if we have frolunda and rogle as feeder clubs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

It's hard to make a direct comparison. Kasper plays a very good two-way game, and even at the junior level he doesn't abandon all defense to focus on scoring. Simply looking at highlights it's often obvious how much players in canadian juniors cheat for offense and do things that have little chance of working at the pro level.

For Kasper I would look less at pure scoring numbers and more at how responsible he is in all areas of the game. But if you want raw scoring, he is the highest scoring U18 player in SHL playoff history.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's hard to make a direct comparison. Kasper plays a very good two-way game, and even at the junior level he doesn't abandon all defense to focus on scoring. Simply looking at highlights it's often obvious how much players in canadian juniors cheat for offense and do things that have little chance of working at the pro level.

For Kasper I would look less at pure scoring numbers and more at how responsible he is in all areas of the game. But if you want raw scoring, he is the highest scoring U18 player in SHL playoff history.
There have only been 10 players who have gotten to play 10 or more SHL playoff games in their draft year ever, and only 5 were forwards. So not really sure how much that says.

But I actually have time for Kasper at 8, especially if it’s signed off on by our Euro scouts that have been on a roll.

I moreso was taking issue with Ogee saying Geekie isn’t a viable option at 8.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
There have only been 10 players who have gotten to play 10 or more SHL playoff games in their draft year ever, and only 5 were forwards. So not really sure how much that says.

But I actually have time for Kasper at 8, especially if it’s signed off on by our Euro scouts that have been on a roll.

I moreso was taking issue with Ogee saying Geekie isn’t a viable option at 8.

I'll bet you an avatar that Geekie is picked 15 or later.

If I win I get to pick an avatar that you'll use for 60 days. If I lose you get to do the same.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

If I win I get to pick an avatar that you'll use for 60 days. If I lose you get to do the same.
I will take that bet if you are willing to bet scotch like a normal adult. More importantly, I don't really care where he is drafted, I care how good he ends up in relation to the rest of the class six years from now.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I will take that bet if you are willing to bet scotch like a normal adult. More importantly, I don't really care where he is drafted, I care how good he ends up in relation to the rest of the class six years from now.
Oh dang....Scotch. This could get bloody.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Was listening to Winged Wheel Podcast with Scouching and he is still really high on Lambert. I'm still very curious with Lambert and it's just the right kind of "crazy" move that Stevie might pull off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Sure?

I don't really know I care too much about changing your avatar though, I just want you to give the kid a chance lol.

Guyver

May 30, 2017
Just bite the bullet and pick Goyette. The guy just kept getting better as the season went along. If that trend continues, he just might be the Point pick that Yzerman knows how to recognize. He won't be there for our 2nd pick.

I know it is a huge overreach, but I get a good vibe about this guy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Sure?

I don't really know I care too much about changing your avatar though, I just want you to give the kid a chance lol.

Saying that I think he's more a talent in the mid teens to 20s isn't really a dis against him. I just think that his skating has a good chance at holding him back from being an effective modern NHL center.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Nathan Gaucher was awarded the Michael Bossy trophy for best QMJHL prospect in 2022. It's kind of a thin year for the Q prospects but Gaucher had a solid season.

He's also currently a nominee for the Guy Carbonneau trophy for best defensive forward in the Q. He's the only first year draft eligible player nominated for it.

His brother is an undrafted overager playing for Baie-Comeau and was also nominated for the same award this year.

I'd love for this kid to somehow fall to 40 for our 2nd round pick but I'm guessing he's gone in the 20s.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Kasper is becoming like last years Mctavish to me. Who i had as the 2nd overall pick on my draft board. VERY nervous he could go 7 to ottawa before us.

Also just listened to a kasper interview, his favorite movie is happy Gilmore. Basically I already love him
Can't see Ottawa reaching (Unless his stock continues to rise over the next 2 months) for a center with Stutzle/Norris/Pinto.

Then again, I never would've expected that a team with Brady Tkachuk would put on their go-go gadget arms to reach for Tyler Boucher at 10th.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Gaucher is a 2nd rounder for me, not a big fan of this class from the Q outside maybe Vidicek.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Gaucher and Luneau are 2nd rounders for me, don’t really get why either one gets ranked in the 1st round.

Weak year for the Q, he's big, fast in a straight line, physical, and has a really good wrist shot.

I think Gaucher is a guy that safely projects to a 3rd/4th line physical/defensive grinder type. We need those too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a Ken Holland pick in the 1st. That's too rich for my blood but early 2nd seems reasonable for a guy that I think has a high likelihood of playing in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Weak year for the Q, he's big, fast in a straight line, physical, and has a really good wrist shot.

I think Gaucher is a guy that safely projects to a 3rd/4th line physical/defensive grinder type. We need those too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a Ken Holland pick in the 1st. That's too rich for my blood but early 2nd seems reasonable for a guy that I think has a high likelihood of playing in the NHL.
I think he goes in the teens and fans end up disappointed with his level of offense. He does do some things this team could use, though. Our forward group is small.

I removed Luneau from that because I think he actually had decent upside. I might consider putting him late first somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad