2022 draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m also really high on Mesar. The tenacity in his game and his hustle are things you can’t teach. On top of that his skating may be top 5 out of the guys ranked in the 1st. So is his stick handling.

High end skill and skating with strong work ethic is usually a recipe for success.
Is a he center though? I would only go winger/defense if we have no other good choices..

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Is a he center though? I would only go winger/defense if we have no other good choices..
From what I know he mostly plays center in the Slovak league. There are questions, as there always is, about his size, but I wouldn't worry about that.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Mesar is 100% a center. He's playing center on his team right now. He's not a defensive stalwart but he's far from a liability. From what the games I caught with him, he works hard all over and doesn't cheat for offense. It's smaller things like attention to detail, overcommitting to one player instead of taking the passing option away. Very teachable skills.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Here's my some dude on HFBoard's mid season list you probably shouldn't put any stock into but it's for discussion's sake. Each of these guys I've got about 2-3 games of viewing. Some guys I've yet to watch/pay attention to are Calle Odelius, Liam Ohgren, Marco Kasper, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Tristan Luneau, Ryan Chesley, Owen Pickering, and any other guys not listed.

1. Shane Wright
2. Matthew Savoie
3. Logan Cooley
4. Simon Nemec
5. David Jiricek
6. Juraj Slafkovsky
7. Brad Lambert (I still believe, please fall to us)
8. Danila Yurov
9. Seamus Casey
10. Frank Nazar
11. Filip Mesar
12. Joakim Kemell
13. Conor Geekie
14. Gleb Trikozov
15. Jiri Kulich
16. Isaac Howard
17. Ivan Miroshnichenko
18. Ty Nelson
19. Noah Ostlund
20. Cutter Gauthier

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Mirosnichenko at 2, and Mesar at 29 are the things that stand out to me most.
Agreed on both of these. Ohgren at 30 or whatever seems wicked low to me too (especially with Lekkerimaki clocking in near the top on Pronner's list). Ohgren is the best Swede in the draft for me. Of all of the rankings that've come out in the past two or three weeks, this one's probably furthest from mine. But hey, it's draft content. I look forward to reading through it this evening to get a better feel for where our disagreements are.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
After some time, I think this draft class is pretty average. I am not losing too much sleep if we miss out on a top 5 pick this year.

It's similar to the 2021 draft in that the guys ranked between 2 and 12 are more picks of preference rather than clear cut superior players. (At the moment)

Where 2021 was strong at D and weak at C, it's the opposite for the 2022 class. Otherwise I think it's close in value.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Here's my some dude on HFBoard's mid season list you probably shouldn't put any stock into but it's for discussion's sake. Each of these guys I've got about 2-3 games of viewing. Some guys I've yet to watch/pay attention to are Calle Odelius, Liam Ohgren, Marco Kasper, Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Tristan Luneau, Ryan Chesley, Owen Pickering, and any other guys not listed.

1. Shane Wright
2. Matthew Savoie
3. Logan Cooley
4. Simon Nemec
5. David Jiricek
6. Juraj Slafkovsky
8. Danila Yurov
9. Seamus Casey
10. Frank Nazar
11. Filip Mesar
12. Joakim Kemell
13. Conor Geekie
14. Gleb Trikozov
15. Jiri Kulich
16. Isaac Howard
17. Ivan Miroshnichenko
18. Ty Nelson
19. Noah Ostlund
20. Cutter Gauthier

Love Kulich, he is flying under the radar

Reactions: NickH8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's similar to the 2021 draft in that the guys ranked between 2 and 12 are more picks of preference rather than clear cut superior players. (At the moment)

Where 2021 was strong at D and weak at C, it's the opposite for the 2022 class. Otherwise I think it's close in value.

I thought last year was a bit below average, but the Defense prospects might bring that class up to average.

This year I like the group of forwards better, but the defense and goalie groups are below average IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

1. Shane Wright
2. Matthew Savoie
3. Logan Cooley
4. Simon Nemec
5. David Jiricek
6. Juraj Slafkovsky
8. Danila Yurov
9. Seamus Casey
10. Frank Nazar
11. Filip Mesar
12. Joakim Kemell
13. Conor Geekie
14. Gleb Trikozov
15. Jiri Kulich
16. Isaac Howard
17. Ivan Miroshnichenko
18. Ty Nelson
19. Noah Ostlund
20. Cutter Gauthier

Thanks for sharing, I am trying to make a top 20 myself and will share when I do.

Ohgren is the best Swede in the draft for me. Of all of the rankings that've come out in the past two or three weeks, this one's probably furthest from mine.

Do you have a ranking/list? Would be curious to see your thoughts on the European players.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Mesar is 100% a center. He's playing center on his team right now. He's not a defensive stalwart but he's far from a liability. From what the games I caught with him, he works hard all over and doesn't cheat for offense. It's smaller things like attention to detail, overcommitting to one player instead of taking the passing option away. Very teachable skills.
Yes. Mesar said it himself. He feels the most comfortable when he plays as a center because he's been playing as a C his whole life. He's ok with RW too.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
Slafkovsky could be another Puljujarvi but I like his game. Big kid, good shot. I don’t think this is the draft where we find our #1/#2 center anyway.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I thought last year was a bit below average, but the Defense prospects might bring that class up to average.

This year I like the group of forwards better, but the defense and goalie groups are below average IMO.

All things considered, I believe that 2021 will be much better than people originally thought.

Power looks like a future top pair defender, as does Edvinsson. Clarke, Hughes and Lambos are all looking like future impact players to round out the top 5 defensemen of the draft.
Wallstedt is looking dominant this year in Lulea. Cossa has had a down year but still could be a something.
The majority of the first round forwards have all shown significant progress in their games save for Tyler Boucher (who was a complete reach anyway).

It may not be 2020 or 2019 good, but maybe better than 2017 and likely better than 2018.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You my friend are the patron saint of undersized centers. I like Mesar a lot, but I don't project him as a center in NA professional hockey. Maybe that changes but I sure as shit am not drafting him thinking he will be a center long-term.

I think he will prove to be a logical option for where we are drafting.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Love Kulich, he is flying under the radar
Kulich to me is the guy you take if you're looking for an excellent two way center. I don't think he has the offensive upside of Mesar, which is why Mesar is higher, but he makes up for it in his defensive game. Like a smaller Philip Danault.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you are hell bent on a center, I think you are going to be disappointed with the first round of this draft class.

I like a lot of the options for centers in round 2 (where we have 2 picks).

Not totally opposed to going BPA with the first pick if we take some centers with our next couple picks.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Slafkovsky could be another Puljujarvi but I like his game. Big kid, good shot. I don’t think this is the draft where we find our #1/#2 center anyway.
I acknowledge his risk, but to me it's worth it if he's available. Colorado has shown how big skilled wingers can dominate the game for you, and I think Slafkovsky would add that element to our team nicely. Even if he ends up another Puljujarvi, that's still a useful player.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I want Brad Lambert, period. I've always liked him when I've seen him and I think once he marinates a little in Liiga he will show that he shouldn't have slipped in the public perception at all.

But yeah, with how things are turning out, I'm not sure this is really a stacked class. Covid definitely threw a wrench in the development of a lot of these players, but I'd still say this draft is about average. A bit 2021 esque with the forwards having a lot of good options but also a bit of a "pick your flavor" component. Wright isn't the elite talent we all thought he was, but is still probably the best player in this draft. Jirichek probably goes top 3 and then after that I can think of only Nemec and maybe Casey as top 10 options at D. And then goaltending isn't really a factor for us but this draft looks quite a bit weaker there than the last couple of years.

Reactions: Ricelund

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

MPS is one of my biggest draft misses ever, but I love Slafkovsky. I think he has among the highest upside in this draft class.

ConnorMcBackcheck

Dec 31, 2021
USA
MPS is one of my biggest draft misses ever, but I love Slafkovsky. I think he has among the highest upside in this draft class.
It’s hard to say if Puljujarvi would have had a completely different development for a better franchise. Their games seem similar though, which is something we could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad