NFL GDT: 2022 AFC Championship Game: (1) Kansas City Chiefs vs (3) Cincinnati Bengals

KC vs CIN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
IIRC it was Glazer yesterday who reported yesterday that Mahomes woke up with the ankle feeling way better than expected (I imagine that's mostly related to swelling). Regardless, he won't be at 100%, though they have a whole week to gauge where he's at and what he can and cannot do. It'll be up to Reid and EB to have a game plan that makes sense, and while I'm not much of a "run the ball" guy, they were able to run on the Bengals earlier in the year. I have to believe at some point the Chiefs will stop making the mistake that the Bengals capitalize on to make the difference but I have thought that for 2 games now. Ultimately if the offense can avoid turning the ball over and the DL is able to generate consistent pressure I still like the Chiefs chances but they're really going to have to play their asses off on both sides of the ball.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Bengals: no offensive line, bad coach

Chiefs: no defense, bad special teams

God the AFC is a tirefire if we end up with the same crap 2 years running
What is this shtick your doing here? Not sure how you've convinced yourself Taylor is a bad coach, and the AFC is a disappointment. Did you watch any of the NFC games?

Mahomes and Burrow are the #1 & #2 QBs in the league, with Allen right on their heels. AFC also has Herbet, Lawrence, Lamar, etc.

Its still the dawn of what should be a pretty exciting 5-10 years in the AFC honestly.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What is this shtick your doing here? Not sure how you've convinced yourself Taylor is a bad coach, and the AFC is a disappointment. Did you watch any of the NFC games?

Mahomes and Burrow are the #1 & #2 QBs in the league, with Allen right on their heels. AFC also has Herbet, Lawrence, Lamar, etc.

Its still the dawn of what should be a pretty exciting 5-10 years in the AFC honestly.

The shtick is to get people who are not exposed to it to respond in kind.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

Outside of Burrow and Mahomes there are 0 QB’s worth a damn

Josh Allen is not a top 10 QB after yesterday and Herbert/Lawrence are just guys

It’s then and everyone else

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Top 3 probably goes Mahomes/Burrow/Allen

Doubly so with how putrid QB play is around the league rn.

Lawrence has a shot to push for that #3 spot next year.

Allen needs consistency desperately

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lawrence has a shot to push for that #3 spot next year.

Allen needs consistency desperately
Unfortunately, I do have to agree with Cowherd’s take on younger QBs and or wild ones like Allen with regards to HC and going with offensive minded ones for those types of QBs. The risk is a Dermott, Staley, Defense first guy is that even if they have a great OC like Daboll, sooner or later that OC is going to get plucked away by another team so then you’re looking for another great OC.

This was Allen’s first season without Daboll. It showed in his consistency. Even lower level guys like Goff you saw the drop off from him moving from McVay to Detroit until Johnson took over as OC. I shudder to think what Goff would look like without Johnson.

Reactions: Voight

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Unfortunately, I do have to agree with Cowherd’s take on younger QBs and or wild ones like Allen with regards to HC and going with offensive minded ones for those types of QBs. The risk is a Dermott, Staley, Defense first guy is that even if they have a great OC like Daboll, sooner or later that OC is going to get plucked away by another team so then you’re looking for another great OC.

This was Allen’s first season without Daboll. It showed in his consistency. Even lower level guys like Goff you saw the drop off from him moving from McVay to Detroit until Johnson took over as OC. I shudder to think what Goff would look like without Johnson.
And we saw the opposite with Mac Jones. While he was not a world beater last year, he was showing good things. This year, with a shitty "OC", he regressed badly.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Wow, the bengals are now favorites now. I dont just think it is public money, something has to be going on with Mahomes.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Being road favorites would make it difficult for the Bengals to keep up their "no one respects us" shtick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Being road favorites would make it difficult for the Bengals to keep up their "no one respects us" shtick.
It’s the easiest thing to rally around. In the 2018 playoffs, the Eagles were running around saying that nobody respected them and they were defending Super Bowl champions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And we saw the opposite with Mac Jones. While he was not a world beater last year, he was showing good things. This year, with a shitty "OC", he regressed badly.
Coaching does matter especially for young QBs and or guys who are kind of Wild like Allen.

Like this upcoming draft I think Stroud and Levis need solid coaching if they are to succeed. If they end up with meh OC or HC (who doesn’t coach the O) their chances of hitting their ceiling is going to be tough.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bengals.
They should be able to pressure Mahomes and force him into mistakes. He isn’t 100 percent so if the Bengals keep him in the pocket they are going back to the Super Bowl
Do they try to force him to move on his bad ankle or do they try to contain him inside the pocket? Will they figure out a way to double Kelce? One on one everyone not named Kelce. Maybe even have the DE or LB chip on Kelce to disrupt his route like a TE would to an elite DE.

See what Reid is able to do offensively with a more limited Mahomes.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Do they try to force him to move on his bad ankle or do they try to contain him inside the pocket? Will they figure out a way to double Kelce? One on one everyone not named Kelce. Maybe even have the DE or LB chip on Kelce to disrupt his route like a TE would to an elite DE.

See what Reid is able to do offensively with a more limited Mahomes.

That’s a good point, forcing Mahomes to run around could make it tougher on him. Kelce is always a factor but the Bengals have better players on the backend so I think they can keep him in check but it definitely would be hard to shut him down

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What makes Kelce a beast is he's athletic but also almost always makes the right read. So he's hard to cover man-to-man and tough to manage in zone. Pratt, Bates and Bell are athletic enough but that's not always enough. Anarumo is sharp dude though.

On the topic of Mahomes' injury - is it possible this is the kind of thing the loosens up as he moves on it? I always read that this injury is about pain tolerance but he's so good on the move I wonder about forcing him to do it and then paying for it later.

On the other side of the ball, it's cliche but I feel like if Bengals can run when they want to and convert third downs they should be fine. If I was a fan I'd be looking at that 27 points they scored last week and thinking if they get there again I'm feeling pretty good, even though it's the Chiefs.

Did I see the weather is going to be iffy?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: