Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
I agree with with your comment on interviewing kids . But you may be wrong about not choosing Wright. You may be underestimating slafkovsky
I'd be happy with Slaf if lost the lottery Wright was gone by the time we picked.

Wright has all the tools to become a Bergeron/Kopitar/Zibenijad player by the time he is 23. At 18, he is better than many other star centers were at the same age.

My point is that as two way centers are much more impactful than wings, passing on Wright truly is a bet that Wright will fail more the Slaf will succeed, and there is nothing based on Wright's play to suggest that.

Sure, Slaf had an awesome Olympics, and Wright was not as good as people expected, but people expected Wright to be a franchise/borderline generational talent. Wright has all the tools to become a top center in the NHL and in 5 years time, his "kinda okay" junior season will be a distant memory.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Death stare? Maybe he is just a psycho in which case it makes the decision even worse as every team needs a madman or two in order to win the cup.

Serious though, he seemed to take the fall in a mature manner from what I saw in his interviews.
If Wright was a mad man, he would have gone 1st overall. He slid because he’s allergic to contact.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wright was supposed to be this super mature guy, but he did a very childish death stare to the Habs's table once he got on stage after being called by the Krakens.

I think the Habs saw something they really didn't like when digging deeper.

Also, they think Slaf has higher upside.
Meeting six times with the guy indicated something was OFF. Like I posted yesterday I wish it was a slam dunk after one.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Came back from work and saw 33 wasn't the one a bunch of 'scouts' had been calling for. Had a great chuckle at the continued whining. Welcome to the organization Owen!

Reactions: cphabs and Rapala

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would I have preferred Firkus or Chesley? Yes.

But Owen Beck is a reasonable selection because he was taking off in the second half of the draft and has qualities in all 3 zones. He lost a year too, so there could be a lot more offense under the hood with the way he played in the second half.

Will be interesting to see how he develops next year.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Would I have preferred Firkus or Chesley? Yes.

But Owen Beck is a reasonable selection because he was taking off in the second half of the draft and has qualities in all 3 zones. He lost a year too, so there could be a lot more offense under the hood with the way he played in the second half.

Will be interesting to see how he develops next year.
He was also buried behind Belluz who was getting more offensive starts (at least in the first half of the season).

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
this years draft, outside the top 12 players, I bet 95% of the players never sniff the NHL it really was NOT a deep draft.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I like this pick. It's a bit Vanilla, but it certainly shows the direction the team wants to go in. Reminds me a bit of Ben Maxwell and Chipchura picks way back. Solid floor, if he develop well then maybe... but probably a middle six guy at best. But let's be honest, at this spot if he can make the NHL as a C this will be a great pick.

• Wow
Reactions: DailyKaizen

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I won't comment given I know literally nothing about 99% of the kids drafted this year. We also have no idea because of covid how any of them will pan out overall. Honestly this is a better response than each year we draft and everyone says we nailed all our draft picks, like we have for the last decade, and then have a steaming pile of garbage.

Who knows about any of them, gally late pick, markov almost not drafted. I won't say its like throwing darts, because I think we are building for a fast transition game, but they could pivot and pick up some lumbering Hal Gill d man and it may work out too.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I really wanted Chesley. Fiercely. But Owen Beck isn't a bad pick.

He, alongside Tuch, Heineman and Mysak, is one of our "safer" prospects at the forward position to eventually become true NHLers, and that helps offset a bit the greater risk of some of the other prospects we selected this draft.

In all fairness, despite labeling him as "safe", I feel that Beck still has top-6 potential if the cards align. It is just that compared to the incredible ceilings of Slaf, Mesar and Hutson, the best case scenario with him is just plain lesser than that of the other three.

More specifically, I think we went after the homerun a lot in the draft this year in the higher rounds, selecting Slafkovsky, Mesar, and Hutson within the top-62, players who all have a huge variance between their pro ceilings and floors, to say nothing of injuries and such.

Beck, and to a lesser extent Rohrer, help insulate us from the risks that come with swinging for the fences on a lot of our picks with how projectable and seemingly translatable their respective skills and approach to the game appear to be.

A couple of years from now, in the somewhat unlikely event that Slaf, Mesar and Hutson all completely bust, then guys like Beck and Rohrer will have a chance to at least make it so that we don't get "zeroes" all across the board from the 2022 draft, and that has definite appeal to teams' GMs and scouts.

And if we don't get the worst-case scenario of all three aforementioned high-upside picks busting, then Beck could simply develop into a competent secondary player to round-out, to complete our forward lines.

I guess I understand the rationale behind the pick, I'm just not sure I agree with it in regards to Chesley still being on the board and looking really good as a RHD.

But anyways, I hope for the best for Owen Beck in his young career, and cheers. Have a good evening all.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Pardon my ignorance but what about Beck’s game made him be picked over Luca Del Bel Belluz? They both play centre, about the same size (Edge to Belluz), on the same team and Belluz oustscored Beck by about 25 points while playing the same amount of games (68).

Luca DBB gets by with a good stick, but he's got a lot of work to do on his skating, which is why he fell. Beck no issues there.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'd be happy with Slaf if lost the lottery Wright was gone by the time we picked.

Wright has all the tools to become a Bergeron/Kopitar/Zibenijad player by the time he is 23. At 18, he is better than many other star centers were at the same age.

My point is that as two way centers are much more impactful than wings, passing on Wright truly is a bet that Wright will fail more the Slaf will succeed, and there is nothing based on Wright's play to suggest that.

Sure, Slaf had an awesome Olympics, and Wright was not as good as people expected, but people expected Wright to be a franchise/borderline generational talent. Wright has all the tools to become a top center in the NHL and in 5 years time, his "kinda okay" junior season will be a distant memory.
Lmao you are out there man 😂. And let’s see you name the “many other star centers he was better than at the same age”.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don’t really like the pick. It’s safe and boring. The kid likely becomes a 3rd or 4th liner.

This is a Timmins type pick, which I’ve had quite enough of. Although, Timmins probably would have went with Chesley because he loves boring American D with limited upside.

I would have gone Firkus with the 33rd. Oh well, at least we got Hutson.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I know NOTHING about him as a player, but I liked him during the press conference and I like that he's focus and serious enough to succeed at hockey and school. just hope the hockey skills are there now.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
potentially the fastest player in the draft...
plays a mature, pro-level game already as an OHL rookie...
NHL comparisons to Cirelli, Larkin...
solid array of skills (face-off, stickhandling, shot versatility, agility)...
huge hockey i.q, great compete level and off-ice scholastic player of the year...

i'm sorry, but why is it that anyone is complaining about this pick?

floor of a solid bottom-6 nhler, ceiling that could very well be a Bergeron (also a 2nd round pick :)

very happy with this pick. Especially after swinging for the fences with both Slav and Mesar.

Chapeau Hugo, chapeau.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
People are gonna be impressed by his skills at the camp, I can tell you that. He has a good wrister and his vision is pretty solid, especially on the powerplay. He has the potential to be a lot more than a 3C. He's already a pro level skater too, definitely one of the better movers in the draft.

I say to myself I would have rather traded 26 (Mesar), 33 (Beck), and one of our D prospects from Norlinder, Struble, amd Fairbrother to SanJose for 11, amd then used 11 to get Dach instead of Romanov.

But, I remember after we drafted Romanov with an early 2nd that I would have rather traded the pick for some player that turned out to not be nearly as good as Romanov...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had Owen Beck 16th on my list. For me this counts as a steal for the Habs.

If we want all these “similar to Wright” players, why not f***ing draft Wright to begin with.

Then surround him with skill. Seattle got it.

Wouldn't it be better to get the same player later? Duh.

Owen Beck is actually a better defensive player than Shane Wright. He reads the play just as well but he is significantly stronger and wins his battles all over the ice with remarkable ease and consistency. A good comparable is Anthony Cirelli.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really wanted Chesley. Fiercely. But Owen Beck isn't a bad pick.

He, alongside Tuch, Heineman and Mysak, is one of our "safer" prospects at the forward position to eventually become true NHLers, and that helps offset a bit the greater risk of some of the other prospects we selected this draft.

In all fairness, despite labeling him as "safe", I feel that Beck still has top-6 potential if the cards align. It is just that compared to the incredible ceilings of Slaf, Mesar and Hutson, the best case scenario with him is just plain lesser than that of the other three.

More specifically, I think we went after the homerun a lot in the draft this year in the higher rounds, selecting Slafkovsky, Mesar, and Hutson within the top-62, players who all have a huge variance between their pro ceilings and floors, to say nothing of injuries and such.

Beck, and to a lesser extent Rohrer, help insulate us from the risks that come with swinging for the fences on a lot of our picks with how projectable and seemingly translatable their respective skills and approach to the game appear to be.

A couple of years from now, in the somewhat unlikely event that Slaf, Mesar and Hutson all completely bust, then guys like Beck and Rohrer will have a chance to at least make it so that we don't get "zeroes" all across the board from the 2022 draft, and that has definite appeal to teams' GMs and scouts.

And if we don't get the worst-case scenario of all three aforementioned high-upside picks busting, then Beck could simply develop into a competent secondary player to round-out, to complete our forward lines.

I guess I understand the rationale behind the pick, I'm just not sure I agree with it in regards to Chesley still being on the board and looking really good as a RHD.

But anyways, I hope for the best for Owen Beck in his young career, and cheers. Have a good evening all.

I don’t really like the pick. It’s safe and boring. The kid likely becomes a 3rd or 4th liner.

This is a Timmins type pick, which I’ve had quite enough of. Although, Timmins probably would have went with Chesley because he loves boring American D with limited upside.

I would have gone Firkus with the 33rd. Oh well, at least we got Hutson.

If Beck becomes a Cirelli or Danault level player then that is pretty damn good. How easy is it to trade for that caliber of player?

The answer is that it is significantly more difficult than trading for your typical top six winger, and significantly more difficult than trading for a Sam Girard, which is Lane Hutson's reasonable upside. Beck's upside is not lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad