Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Right like any of us really know. Its one thing to bring some interesting points after doing your own research on the prospects but to act like you know this guy will bust or this guy will be good on a hockey forum minutes after the guy gets picked at 18 years old is pretty ridiculous , even if you are informed on the kid

so much of it really is luck. I can't say how much of it is development. I really don't.

If you're not going off the board, it's hard to give much credit or blame to respective management teams. If development REALLY is a big part of it (again, it may be it may not) then that's one of the other variables you can judge drafting success. I do think though that you can credit teams for going high upside. It's hard not too applaud teams smart enough to do that.

Outside of these three criterion, I think it's mostly luck imo.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Regardless of the sport it’s hard to say “I hate this pick and our management” unless they do something like pick a player who is ranked the #400 top prospect at 10 or something ridiculous like that. If you follow sports close enough and look back you realize how many times you as a fan get things wrong as much and in most cases more than the GM and scouting staff. Just relax, read about the new picks and wait and see how things play out.
That's how I see it. There are complaints like this every year. Moreover these players are not static snapshots, they more like movies, with the ability to evolve into something better with the right motivation and support. I like his speed, defensive awareness and scholastic ability (better a smart player than a doltish one).

DailyKaizen

Wright was supposed to be this super mature guy, but he did a very childish death stare to the Habs's table once he got on stage after being called by the Krakens.

I think the Habs saw something they really didn't like when digging deeper.

Also, they think Slaf has higher upside.
This.

Excellent read of the situation and if you pardon the pun, you are "Wright".

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I like this pick. I live in Mississauga and have seen the Steelheads a few times this year. Beck was better than Del Bel Belluz in each game I saw. I saw Mississauga vs. Kingston in March and Beck was the best player on the ice, better than Wright. Really impressed me with his explosive speed. Beck scored a minute into the game, the puck was in the net and Wright was still in the neutral zone on the back check.

With Beck now drafted by the Habs, I'll definitely watch the Steelheads a bunch next season.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nothing wrong with fans expressing their thoughts. Teams want this, it means we are passionate about our club and discussing them. Part of the joy of being a fan, even if expressing frustration.

On the pick. When we chose Poehling I noted somewhere his best offensive quality was he was a good puck tipper. Lol. Not his slap shot , or his moves in close, not banging in rebounds, but tipping in pucks. And everybody said he could be a great 3C if all goes well. LOUSY PICK.

Some are unhappy Beck is a "safe" pick. I don't care about "safe", I care about upside. This guy is a great skater, and has real good skills with upside as a 2C. No problem with that. Maybe he is safe to make the NHL, but that upside is what I care about and it's about having top 6C / Top 4D potential. If a guy has that upside, good pick.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Another center

Another?

Seriously , some posters here think they know better than NHL SCOUTS....

I may not be a car mechanic but I know when my car won't start. Gorton has a poor 1st round drafting record. It is what it is.

Wright was supposed to be this super mature guy, but he did a very childish death stare to the Habs's table once he got on stage after being called by the Krakens.

Maybe he just felt like he was led on by the Habs org.

We traded guhle ?

Romanov is a 22yr old legit NHL D-man. Guhle looks great but hasn't even been proven in the AHL let alone the NHL. Guhle is still magic beans.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Pardon my ignorance but what about Beck’s game made him be picked over Luca Del Bel Belluz? They both play centre, about the same size (Edge to Belluz), on the same team and Belluz oustscored Beck by about 25 points while playing the same amount of games (68).

Reactions: chapeau

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
His floor is 3C that every Team wants on their team during the playoffs. Does everything right and Plays with all his heart every shift.

I personally think he's NHL ready but you could let him marinate in the CHL if needed. Dvoraks time in Montreal past this year could be in question.

Pardon my ignorance but what about Beck’s game made him be picked over Luca Del Bel Belluz? They both play centre, about the same size (Edge to Belluz), on the same team and Belluz oustscored Beck by about 25 points while playing the same amount of games (68).
Belluz is a average skater while Beck skating is one of his best features. and as I said above is very committed every time he's on the ice.

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021

I think the Habs saw something they really didn't like when digging deeper.

Also, they think Slaf has higher upside.
Death stare? Maybe he is just a psycho in which case it makes the decision even worse as every team needs a madman or two in order to win the cup.

Serious though, he seemed to take the fall in a mature manner from what I saw in his interviews.

Reactions: JAVO16

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Beck's produced more as the season moved forward, Belluz went on the opposite direction. Beck is the much better skater too.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
I've seen so many draft days where everyone is so happy and our prospects have been dog shit for the past 15 years.

Perhaps hfboards being upset with the picks is a good sign.
This is exactly how I feel…. I was so happy with the KK pick . What the f*** do I know? Lol

When you read Becks scouting report it looks similar to Wright , obviously don’t think they are the same level of prospect but thought it was funny when I read over his scouting reports .

Reactions: 26Mats

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
This board is so negative…like all the time. We know nothing about these players. The worst is the post about how the user lost faith in management….?? Get lost dude! You’ve never watched a player and you didn’t get the player you wanted.
In previous years we always seemed to draft well but what do we have to show for it. Let this play out

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Death stare? Maybe he is just a psycho in which case it makes the decision even worse as every team needs a madman or two in order to win the cup.

Serious though, he seemed to take the fall in a mature manner from what I saw in his interviews.
I know this isn’t a Wright thread but he seems like a super awkward kid . Obviously not saying this because I think that will impact his play on the ice but there had to have been something else that didn’t sit right with teams . Phoenix passing on him for another centre really raised my eyebrows .

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's funny recklessly swinging for the fences with the first overall pick and then going extremely conservative on every pick after that. Like Timmins never left.
And like you know nothing about who we drafted?

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
“…Beck is a smart and agile two-way centreman with a high-end offensive skillset. He thinks the game at a very high pace and is able to make decisions in a split second. He plays with a high compete level and he’s always one or two steps ahead of the competition as to what his next decision will be. This alone is his biggest strength, being able to outsmart his opponent and be deceptive with his choices. He makes great reads on every play as he’s able to catch them off-guard with his patterns, hands and pace of play as he’s always in control of a situation.

“Beck is a very strong skater, as he has great movements, speed and agility. He’s able to generate a lot of speed through the neutral zone and has great edgework to weave through traffic, which allows him to make sharp turns and avoid any pressure. He’s great at breaking through a defensive setup to enter the zone quickly and effectively and is tough to contain when he’s leading an attack in transition.

“Beck has very strong hands, being extremely creative and shifty. He does a great job at maintaining control of the puck when he’s driving in transition, cycling on the attack or weaving his way through traffic. He has the ability to fool his opponents with his stick handling as he always attacks with force, driving them to push back. This plays into his wheel house to set up his teammates as he’s able to open the game up extremely well and make pin point passes.

“He does possess a good shot and release, but he could work on his decision making when shooting. He does a great job to open himself to receive a pass and get into the shooting lanes, especially when he acts as the trailer. While he ranks in the top-15 among OHL rookies in goals with 18, I feel that there are times where he can pass up a shooting opportunity in order to make a play. He still remains a versatile threat as a shooter and passer, but he could be just a tad bit more selfish.”

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Which IMO is even worse. Interviews are one of the most subjective and least accurate ways to assess people. This is tru in most ordinary jobs, but is especially true for hockey players. Executives with big egos think "they know" all about someone and can read people just from asking questions. Plenty of playoff warriors and star players interview poorly and are very awkward.

Wright is a unique player who has the potential to become a Bergeron and a floor of a solid 2C. You can't pass that up. Unless Wright's real passion was music or something, you still gotta take him.

Regardless, I am fine with the Beck pick.
I agree with with your comment on interviewing kids . But you may be wrong about not choosing Wright. You may be underestimating slafkovsky

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Is Mesar conservative?
You would think Habs stepped through a mine field. Every other team was running, taking massive risks. Not from what I saw.

There are some bright and shiny names today that will look dull and wtf’ish 3-4 years from now. I doubt Beck is among the latter group.

Anaheim, of rightful draft renown, took 3 from the Q - and early. What if Habs had done that?

And Putin is a miserable wrinkle in taking Russians.

Kind of a weird draft overall, but we did well, IMO, provided Slavkofsky pans out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad