Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Everytime I watch Mesar, I come away disappointed. Soft, low complete, low confidence, small. What did they see there? I'm not willing to give up on him, but he's been underwhelming. 39 points in 31 is brutal for a D+2 prospect with his profile. When was the last time on of our firsts performed this bad post draft.
Wanted Luneau so bad with that pick.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Everytime I watch Mesar, I come away disappointed. Soft, low complete, low confidence, small. What did they see there? I'm not willing to give up on him, but he's been underwhelming. 39 points in 31 is brutal for a D+2 prospect with his profile. When was the last time on of our firsts performed this bad post draft.
I think he should be trade bait while he still has some value. Pick one of Mesar and Kidney and trade the other. Similar type players imo (good on transition but weak physically). Both need lots of rounding up in their game.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Hard to complain about management when they landed Slaf, Beck Hutson and Engstrom with 4 of their 6 firsts picks in 2022

Jul 6, 2016
Wanted Luneau so bad with that pick.
Luneau would had been a great pick at Mesara's place or at Beck's place, 1st second-round, (who could had been picked at Mesar's place also)

Hard to complain about management when they landed Slaf, Beck Hutson and Engstrom with 4 of their 6 firsts picks in 2022
Thre was so many other, better picks that could had been made instead of Mesar. Kulich, Beck, Luneau, to name a few.

I have been following him closely for 2 years, i know he's not the issue.

Maybe hes indeed a bit injured atm but 100% hes not jelling with his teammates as he should
The kid never accepted to be sent down to OHL. It would had been better to let him play in his country or somewhere in Europe for a couple more seasons.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
After a great start, it’s not looking like a good season for him. At times it’s like nothing is working and looking back at how he started the year he was so explosive.

The kid is full of talent but if he keeps the same trajectory it will be two disappointing season in a row.

Hopefully he will come prepared and show progression with the Rocket next year.

As someone else said, even if he’s a bust they did draft some interesting players after him so it wouldn’t be a big loss.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
After a great start, it’s not looking like a good season for him. At times it’s like nothing is working and looking back at how he started the year he was so explosive.

The kid is full of talent but if he keeps the same trajectory it will be two disappointing season in a row.

Hopefully he will come prepared and show progression with the Rocket next year.

As someone else said, even if he’s a bust they did draft some interesting players after him so it wouldn’t be a big loss.
Small guys better have out of this world skills, bc there is nothing for them in the NHL if they don't bring serious offense... Habs have waded too long in the small guy pool of lackluster small prospects...
There's a reason the career AHLer/ECHLer top scorers are almost always undersized.. and yet never get the call up or staying power in the NHL.
There is a serious disadvantage being short in this league as all players are fast enough to catch/contain them now.. so they better have God given talent elsewhere to compensate.
Mesar was a total miss.. if he had what it takes to drive offense he'd be tearing up the point board.. in D+2 hes a bust...

League minimum height-lbs ratio for career player should be 6'0" 185lbs. Every physical metric that falls below this threshold, the player must have exceptional skills elsewhere.

Look how useless small guys are on our roster if not contributing to offense..

5'9" RHP- total whatever, waste of space
5'9" Gally- total whatever, though he has Godlike drive so can teach youth.. waste of Cap and space

5'11" Newhook: total bland player, barely has value
5'11" Harris: totally lost, no attributable talent, waste of space
5'11" Gignac: total whatever, waste of space
5'11" Mitchell: total whatever, waste of space.

2 slots max (we have 8)
5'11" Suzuki Imagine a 6'2" Suzuki, he'd be Ryan Getzlaf... nevertheless, godgiven leadership.
5'8" CC basically a debrincat 2.0. Nice regular season sniper, point driver.

Repeat: no more than 2 slots available.. if Michkov were drafted, 1 of he or CC would be traded (can't have 2).. you guys have to stop looking at the highlight reels.. if we replaced the milkdud 4 smurfs: with 6'2" vanilla players (like Armia), our team instantly has 10 more points in the standings. Thats right, i would prefer 6x Armias over: RHP, GALLY, NEWHOOK, HARRIS, MITCHEL, GIGNAC. i calssify this as a +5win WAR

I think Hugo understands this, which is why our D future looks tough and scary as hell..
Newhook & Mesar have been the only errors in Hugos term so far..

There is NO MORE room for small guys.. 2 should be max. Small guys need to be the exception to a team not the norm, this is why they are rendered useless here. Habs are still too small, too easy to defend.

And yes, Hutson should be a sell now, bc his value as a trajectory will never be higher... sry my friends, this string bean is never going to last in the NHL as a Defender.. unless he is used as pseudo-1-3-1 formation as a changeup, he can bring nothing else defensively..

Last edited:
Reactions: MadMslm and jrom

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Ppl need to chill a bit

Mesar is the same player today that he was in November.

Immense skill, questionable fortitude... consistency will be an issue until he either makes it as a top 6 NHL regular, or flames out & goes on to a successful pro career in Europe

2-4yrs away from knowing where he lands, for now might as well hope for the best & enjoy the ride

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Ppl need to chill a bit

Mesar is the same player today that he was in November.

Immense skill, questionable fortitude... consistency will be an issue until he either makes it as a top 6 NHL regular, or flames out & goes on to a successful pro career in Europe

2-4yrs away from knowing where he lands, for now might as well hope for the best & enjoy the ride
I think he's tradebait and always did. He just isn't a player you win with. I am sure they thought they could eliminate the weaknesses and keep the elite skill but how often does that pan out? I'm not surprised he's fallen off statistically.

It obviously stings less because we did draft at least four better prospects than him in the same draft but I'm sure the scouting staff would like a redo. To me this was another Sebastian collberg type of swing which is perfectly fine to make.

Reactions: rahad and themilosh

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Small guys better have out of this world skills, bc there is nothing for them in the NHL if they don't bring serious offense... Habs have waded too long in the small guy pool of lackluster small prospects...
There's a reason the career AHLer/ECHLer top scorers are almost always undersized.. and yet never get the call up or staying power in the NHL.
There is a serious disadvantage being short in this league as all players are fast enough to catch/contain them now.. so they better have God given talent elsewhere to compensate.
Mesar was a total miss.. if he had what it takes to drive offense he'd be tearing up the point board.. in D+2 hes a bust...

Drafting him was definitely a gamble, either he becomes an offensive threat or not much of anything at the NHL level.
When you have multiple picks, it’s probably easier to take those risks. Most players drafted in those two drafts are trending upwards and he’s one of those who isn’t.

Definitely disappointing, you’re right. He should be tearing up the league quite easily.
Right now, he’s pacing what he should have produced last year and thats only because of his hot start.

I don’t think he’s a center and the more time passes the clearer it becomes that he will need develop other skillsets if he wants a future in the big league.

Hopefully he gains strength and learns to win more battles using his hands along the boards. Without more hustle mixed with his skillset, I don’t see how he can be successful.

It will be more clear next year. Will get to see how much progression he will have throughout the year with the Rocket.

Reactions: themilosh

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he's tradebait and always did. He just isn't a player you win with. I am sure they thought they could eliminate the weaknesses and keep the elite skill but how often does that pan out? I'm not surprised he's fallen off statistically.

It obviously stings less because we did draft at least four better prospects than him in the same draft but I'm sure the scouting staff would like a redo. To me this was another Sebastian collberg type of swing which is perfectly fine to make.
I don’t know. He’s made some pretty clutch plays this year.

It’s not obvious to me at all that he’s some gutless talented floater. Not my read at all.

Might still be the injury. Otherwise he’s been pretty great this year.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

How often do 26OA players become impact NHLers?

About 4-5 in the past 20years... So about 1/4 or 25%... And only 2 players picked there in the past 20yrs have won a cup... So as far as drafting "a player you win with" from that spot, odds are even lower.

So far there is 1 player picked after him (Poitras) & 2fwds picked ahead of him (Slaf & Cooley) who have made the jump to NHL play... So I think it's grossly premature to suggest his fate is sealed.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

How often do draft picks pan out? Late first maybe one out of three plays significant nhl games. It’s not like GMs are passing over gems to take flawed players, you’re already into longshots. You choose your flaw, size, speed, skill, and balance, and try to guess who will improve.

The Leafs seem to be doing well finding big players who develop lower in the draft. The habs have stunk at picking for size for decades now. Hughes is doing better so far. All the picks at that point were polarizing, it was not a slam dunk.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I’m with you. I’d be packaging him with other assets for an upgrade up front. I just don’t see consistent top six with him. Not with us anyways

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
There is no question he is talented. I'm not sure at all how he fits on the team though. The teams needs an elite second line. Can we use him to build one? Do you need a player like him to build a Cup contender? If the answer is no to one or both of those questions, then he should be used to get someone who does and you do this as soon as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad