GDT: 2022-23 Western Conference Quarter-Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm (EDM leads 3-2) 4/29/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
McLellan and Chiarelli were never on same page. Oilers roster didn’t have any depth.

McLellan is a good systems coach especially in the regular season.

But I think he continuously gets exposed in the post season because he either can’t adjust or too stubborn to adjust.

I personally think the Kings have enough talent and skill that 1-3-1 shouldn’t be the primary system you guys play.

The Kings are a relentless team. I think if they played a more offensive style, it would lead to more success. Would be funner to watch as well.
It feels like every time they loosened up and stopped going 1-3-1 they went on a roll. I don't have the stats to back me on it though. Just a feeling. You could tell when they were loose.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Kings were up 2-1 with a 3-0 lead in game four. They had every opportunity to take a commanding lead in this series. They didn’t.

“The Oilers were just plain better” is an oversimplification and a red herring, even if it’s true. Five out of the six games in this series were decided by one goal.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I hear ya, but it's not like they didn't also win the territorial battle 5-on-5. Korpisalo was the difference at even strength given their outplaying us 55-60% of the time.
Yeah, I’m just saying that a team that knows how to kill at least half the penalties probably means they also know how to not just sit back and take it in the ass 5 on 5 too.

The kings played like total chumps and still were just a couple bounces away from taking the series.

I wonder if anyone has let the oilers know that Vegas isn’t in California. You know, reffing and all.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But others are defending the trade as "exactly what the Kings need." So if you aren't declaring a winner or loser, why are you only calling out one side for making a general statement?

Kings lost 3 straight playoff games against Edmonton with Fiala. That's all the data we have right now. So if you're saying Fiala is exactly what the Kings needed, I submit the Kings need more. Follow?
The trade delivered one of the things they Kings needed, it didn’t address the LD holes nor the physicality issue. We definitely needed a winger like Fiala. We gave up an asset, from an area of strength so it’s one of those win-win trades in my view. The failure so far has been not addressing the other issues.

LD - Gavrikov if he re-signs addresses this partly, but until LD3 is addressed we are yet to tick this one off. Internally Björnfot is the likely option. Only have 2 solid pairs killed us this P.O.
Goal - Korpi again needs to re-sign to consider this covered, even if just short term.
Physicality - We need more physicality in the team, that can skate a regular shift.

I think people need to stop thinking of this trade in the way they are. Fiala wasn’t the problem or the solution, because no one player can be either of those things. He brought with him what he showed in MN and if anything added to his defensive game a little. The trade in of itself has so far been a success. The issue is the other things that were not addressed.

Pinning the blame on the loss on Fiala is unfair, but no more unfair than blaming Ottawa or Anaheim’s issues on players because one thinks it makes the Kings somehow look better for the picks they made. And that happens literally every time those players are brought up, often by the same people now defending Fiala.

Hockey is not the type of sport where wins and especially losses can be blamed on one player. Fiala was a positive for the Kings this season, especially on the PP. People can dispute the long-term outlook of the trade, but he was a very good player for the Kings this season. The only thing a bit concerning will be committing the type of money they have committed to him and will have to with Gabe based on production mostly done against lesser opponents 5 on 5. The modern NHL is about having 3 scoring lines, and for the first time on a really long time, the Kings had one. Which was awesome, but I am worried what happens when AK eventually slows down and teams shift their focus to Fiala, Vilardi and whoever is centering them. A problem that unfortunately will be a reality sooner or later due to the Kings inability to find even 2nd liners as of now with either of those top 5 picks.

I have doubts that those two can make up a 1st line on a good team and they obviously won’t be checkers. So it kind of locks them in as the 3rd scoring line, but who besides Kempe projects to be a viable 1st liner going forward?
LOL - I didn’t get as far as reading your post

Reactions: Brownie to Pancakes

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You guys probably aren't looking for respect in the handshake line, but what I can say is that I and most Oilers fans would have rather played any other Pacific team (including Vegas) than LA going into the first round. That's not a slight on any of those teams, but a testament to how well the Kings have played the Oilers over the past few years. This series was no exception, congrats Kings fans on a hard-fought series and season. Really hope we don't play you in round 1 again next year.
Too many minutes… it’s ridiculous how many minutes he’s played this year at his age. No wonder he looked so f-ing gassed.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I just don't have any faith in 'the plan' at this point. Next year will almost surely represent a step back. They're going to HAVE To peel some cap and play some kids that SHOULD already have had playing time but will instead have a learning curve. Byfield needs to have a Vilardi-style offseason. Kopitar is going to be another year older, bless him, and same with Drew. There is no goaltending. Our organizational LHD depth is still a joke. And we are out of 1st round picks to throw at problems of our own creation.

Going the way of Calgary.

At least Calgary has a blue chip goalie prospect...

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Yeah, I’m just saying that a team that knows how to kill at least half the penalties probably means they also know how to not just sit back and take it in the ass 5 on 5 too.

Wasn't this the exact thing that Sutter mentioned when he was first hired? Under Murray's system, LA was too passive and he thought LA needed to be more aggressive?

Obviously different in the sense that TMac's system is to clog the NZ whereas Murray was 'defend home plate', but both are more passive.

But given how close the series was and that LA had every chance to take it, I also wonder had LA had a more 'attack mentality' coach, what the outcome could have been.

In 2012 the team went from potential lottery pick to SC champs.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
@kingsboy11 - small thing - but Im wondering if locking the GDT after the game would make for more focused discussions in the right threads

Yeah I think its a good idea for next season, was testing it out during this series and thought it worked out pretty well. Maybe for next season I'll lock the GDTs probably after midnight once the game is done. I'll leave this one open for now and wait for everyone's conversation to die down and close it later tonight.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
What really bothers me is that as bad as the Kings played, they had a good chance to win this series but they lacked that grab the bull by horns and take it down mentality. People are talking about the Oilers like they are a real great team and they are not. Oilers will not get past the next round. They looked good because the Kings played like crap.

Reactions: mysterman2

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
And the end of the day any team who lost very winnable series in back to back seasons with the same coach would consider a coaching change. When that coach also happened to the only to lose a series after being 3-0 this should be a no brainer.

Coaches have tools in the tool box they can use to change momentum, send a message, etc etc- Tmac simply lets the chips fall and seldom made any effort to stem the tide. This year motto may as well have been "cest la vie."

If Tmac gets fired tomorrow or he plays out his final contract year- would any other team hire him as a head coach?

Reactions: King'sPawn

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
Yeah I think its a good idea for next season, was testing it out during this series and thought it worked out pretty well. Maybe for next season I'll lock the GDTs probably after midnight once the game is done. I'll leave this one open for now and wait for everyone's conversation to die down and close it later tonight.
We used to do PGTs, why did we stop those?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

The kings played like total chumps and still were just a couple bounces away from taking the series.

I wonder if anyone has let the oilers know that Vegas isn’t in California. You know, reffing and all.
20-17 PP LA to Edm

2 wins for LA were on PP in OT. To say the refs were against LA is a miscarriage of justice. Penalties in OT were never usually calls
The series was a well played series. Very entertaining to the end. Oilers players spoke very highly of the Kings in their interviews

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I think this team lost a lot of intensity when we traded Lemieux.

Like it or not but we need that player that yaps between the benches. Zack MacEwen had one "big" hit his time here where he was ragdolled by a non fighter afterwards.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think this team lost a lot of intensity when we traded Lemieux.

Like it or not but we need that player that yaps between the benches. Zack MacEwen had one "big" hit his time here where he was ragdolled by a non fighter afterwards.
You might be right but the refs clearly had enough of him, he got put in the box for the slightest things. With how poorly the PK was doing I don't see that working out in the Kings favor.

I do agree that this team could use an emotional catalyst and for a while, Lemieux was effective at it.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
What really bothers me is that as bad as the Kings played, they had a good chance to win this series but they lacked that grab the bull by horns and take it down mentality. People are talking about the Oilers like they are a real great team and they are not. Oilers will not get past the next round. They looked good because the Kings played like crap.
Exactly! the oilers weren’t better, the kings shot themselves in the foot way too much. That’s what hurts the most, the oilers weren’t a great team but the kings didn’t play to their potential.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Iafallo was great this series.
Great or Not he's not a top 6 forward! When other teams can put out Stars and all LA can do is put Kopi-Star and Kempe we are in trouble kind of like when Brown was in the line up...he rode Kopi's coattails just like Iafallo

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
20-17 PP LA to Edm

2 wins for LA were on PP in OT. To say the refs were against LA is a miscarriage of justice. Penalties in OT were never usually calls
The series was a well played series. Very entertaining to the end. Oilers players spoke very highly of the Kings in their interviews
Go find anywhere that I said “the refs are against the kings”. And when you can’t, feel free to huff some more paint fumes.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Exactly! the oilers weren’t better, the kings shot themselves in the foot way too much. That’s what hurts the most, the oilers weren’t a great team but the kings didn’t play to their potential.
LA had a chance but blowing that 3-0 lead did them in as did the lapses that cost them dearly...like the last game...it was going into OT but LA coughs up the puck...Anderson I believe and its in the net with hardly any time to make up the difference...Too bad so sad better Luck next year when Blake again trades our first rounder cause Christ knows we have a tonne of them to blow away...Blake should have been patient with Kupari,Bjornfot,Turcotte,Byfield,Madden,Fagemo,Lias,...and let them develop outside the shitty AHL where they weren't used and abused! Can you imagine the type of player Kupari could have become...now he's a 4th liner...ditto for the rest! And what does Blake do with Spence and Clarke next year? Keeping them in the AHL for the year does what exactly?Blake is going to do what with Gavrikov and Korpisalo? Can't sign them both and sign Vilardi unless LA trades some of the underachievers like Yafallo and Moore! Its either Blake is a mad genius or an Idiot or maybe a Mad idiot! Any one know where Mike Futa is these days...and I wonder where DKubalik is these days...losing hopefully makes LA get rid of some of the dead weight...midget Lizotte gets pounded into the Earth too much to be effective LA needs to trade him elsewhere he's no 3rd liner or 4th liner

The Kings were up 2-1 with a 3-0 lead in game four. They had every opportunity to take a commanding lead in this series. They didn’t.

“The Oilers were just plain better” is an oversimplification and a red herring, even if it’s true. Five out of the six games in this series were decided by one goal.
Honestly LA shit the bed...3-0 lead should have ended 6-3 but instead a loss to the Kings and a momentum killer going back to Edmonton...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Go find anywhere that I said “the refs are against the kings”. And when you can’t, feel free to huff some more paint fumes.

Didn’t have to go anywhere at all

Paint fumes? Cmon man, that’s 70’s stuff

I said it was a good series and Oilers players were very complimentary towards the Kings. You come back with this

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Edmonton has the greatest player in the World and Driasaitl isn't bad either...EKane can kill you too and Hyman scored the winner when LA led 3-0...The Oilers had too many weapons for LA to deal with and we had Kopi,Kempe and Danault and some guys that were injured that could have helped had they been with LA the whole series but they weren't...that's hockey for you and I think the Oilers will get past Vegas

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Didn’t have to go anywhere at all

Paint fumes? Cmon man, that’s 70’s stuff

I said it was a good series and Oilers players were very complimentary towards the Kings. You come back with this
That still isn’t saying the refs are against the kings. It’s actually a joke about the exact opposite. Sorry your reading comprehension sucks. Go search your own board. Plenty of dumbasses there all about the “California reffing”.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I think the Oilers were by far the better team even, and keep in mind they haven't lost in regulation in almost 2 months now. They're really rolling.

I just don't like blaming it 'just' on that, I agree it's an oversimplification, and it comes off as an alibi for our problems...and the problems that EVERYONE has seen for two years were EXACTLY the problems in this series. It's not like the Oilers found some new weakness.

I'm not mad that the Kings lost to a better team. I'm mad that the Kings lost due to issues that random message board idiots can see three years in advance yet aren't addressed.

Reactions: Schrute farms

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think the Oilers were by far the better team even, and keep in mind they haven't lost in regulation in almost 2 months now. They're really rolling.

I just don't like blaming it 'just' on that, I agree it's an oversimplification, and it comes off as an alibi for our problems...and the problems that EVERYONE has seen for two years were EXACTLY the problems in this series. It's not like the Oilers found some new weakness.

I'm not mad that the Kings lost to a better team. I'm mad that the Kings lost due to issues that random message board idiots can see three years in advance yet aren't addressed.

Agreed. The Oilers were the better team. Full stop. But like you say here, leaving the post series analysis at that is far too forgiving of the issues Blake and Todd have created for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad