GDT: 2022-23 Western Conference Quarter-Finals game 3 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm (Series tied 1-1) 4/21/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
I have to admit. I was wrong about Kempe earlier in the year. He’s showing balls this series and has stepped up as a leader.
Hes been more physical in this series than I can ever remember. That and obviously his zone entries. Hopefully fiala is back to 100% cause we need him to help in the department.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I was a big Kempe guy when a lot of people were down, but I thought he’d be more of a 25-30 goal guy not a 40 goal guy. I didn’t think he could take another step this year, which he clearly did.

And the Axl/TKF/SN style is to be wildly optimistic about everything and remind everyone constantly about the things they are right on, and then when you call them out on things they were wrong on they pull the “rooting against (insert player)” and “go be a (insert Kings rivals) fan”

Pretty hilarious

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Can you imagine the number of extra power plays the Oilers would get just from Lemieux’s reputation penalties this series? Get over it. The Kings couldn’t continue to put Pepe on the ice and trust that he would get any benefit of the doubt. I like Pepe, but that’s called addition by subtraction.
Maybe, but maybe not. I'm not saying I was unhappy with Lemeiux leaving. I'm saying if we're going to be playing plugs like that in the lineup I'd rather have Pepe. Relax. Not that big of a deal.

MacEwen has no business on this team. It was his penalty that gave McLinesman his 2nd goal and outside of taking up a roster spot has done nothing to warrant a position on this team. Kings have been opportunistic, but outplayed for the majority of the series.

We have all seen what a liability Durzi has been. It's usually (somewhat) offset by his offense, but he's been negative value this series. Hard to look past his misreads and turnovers at this point.
I love how easily new nicknames are spawned for McDavid. McLinesman is top tier

Reactions: dabeechman

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I was a big Kempe guy when a lot of people were down, but I thought he’d be more of a 25-30 goal guy not a 40 goal guy. I didn’t think he could take another step this year, which he clearly did.

And the Axl/TKF/SN style is to be wildly optimistic about everything and remind everyone constantly about the things they are right on, and then when you call them out on things they were wrong on they pull the “rooting against (insert player)” and “go be a (insert Kings rivals) fan”

Pretty hilarious
Not to shit on Kempe at all, but I think the NHL is in such a weird spot with points. When you have guys like RNH randomly having a 100 point season this year. Wow, 50 points to 104. What the f*** ? I feel like it’s hard to know who’s actually a stand out player and what’s an anomaly. I feel like the lines have blurred a lot.

Like when Ovechkin was winning rockets easily, the NHL was a lot more predictable. I think a big change in the NHL is that there just aren’t any stand out great goalies anymore. Maybe that’s the case along with some other factors.

Korpisalo is like a top NHL goalie in the current NHL but I don’t think you could say that in the 2012 days at all.
41E72BB4-59B1-4F55-951C-6B06A43DB684.png

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Unlike Axl, I can admit when I’m wrong.
Kempe's contract is definitely looking like a value now. I was surprised with all the trade Kempe talk earlier in the year. He's our best scorer and he has been stepping up in the playoffs this year and last. Keeps improving, getting more consistent and really taking accountability on the defensive end.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Not to shit on Kempe at all, but I think the NHL is in such a weird spot with points. When you have guys like RNH randomly having a 100 point season this year. Wow, 50 points to 104. What the f*** ? I feel like it’s hard to know who’s actually a stand out player and what’s an anomaly. I feel like the lines have blurred a lot.

Like when Ovechkin was winning rockets easily, the NHL was a lot more predictable. I think a big change in the NHL is that there just aren’t any stand out great goalies anymore. Maybe that’s the case along with some other factors.

Korpisalo is like a top NHL goalie in the current NHL but I don’t think you could say that in the 2012 days at all.
RNH is definitely a good player, but there's so many more points to be had when you're playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. In the same vein, it was a lot harder to ascertain Gavrikov's value when he was with Columbus. It was such a dumpster fire over there. I knew Gav and Korpi would be good, but didn't think they would be THIS good.

I really hope Blake finds a way to sign them both AND Vilardi. All 3 of those players are key pieces to this team. I'm 100% okay with the Kings trading Durzi and Kaliyev. I don't think either of them are in the long-term plans, especially with the forward depth and the likely emergence of Clarke next year.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Im feeling better about the Kings chances because the fragile minded Oilers have had their victim syndrome activated. When the coach is crying about it in the post game saying 'the best player in the world was 2 ft away' wah wah... I get after a game you are 'in your feelings' tm @Sol - but a head coach has be more stoic.

Last edited:
Im feeling better about the Kings chances because the fragile minded Oilers have had their victim syndrome activated. When the coach is crying about it in the post game saying 'the best player in the world was 2 ft away' wah wah... I get after a game you are 'in your feelings' tm @Sol - but a head coach has be more stoic.

When I first watched that I thought he was talking about the referee putting his hand up. Then I re-watch it and he's talking about mcdavid as if he's some arbiter of objective officiating. Mcdavid reacted to what he thought was a high stick, coach. It doesn't mean it happened. The bigger point is the stick, whether it touched the puck or not, had no impact on the goal being scored. I had no clue they could actually review that and and still not sure that's the case. Did the refs simply appease Mcdavid and check with Toronto? That's a bad precedent if that's the case but I guess it doesn't matter as long as they make the right call which they did.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I finally saw a video and angle that looks pretty definitive that the puck touched the stick when it is zoomed in to the max. In the end, if you need the Hubble Space Telescope to see the tiniest little touch of the stick then it likely isn't going to be conclusive enough to overturn a playoff goal like that.

The Oilers can blame whoever they want, but they have one of the best offenses and powerplays in NHL history and all they do with it is be little cheapshot artists and hack and slash everyone to goad them into taking penalties so they can all pray to the altar of McJesus to score for them. They can't hang with most teams this postseason 5 on 5 and they don't have the defense and goaltending capable of winning it all if their offense isn't always in supernova mode.

They are literally just mad that all the cheap shit they've done all season long doesn't work when refs start calling it. Crysaitle was right when he said the Oilers needed more maturity, and it starts and begins with him. He is the king of just hacking ankles after whistles for no f***ing reason. There is no reason to risk any cheap shit after the whistle. Especially when you've just scored a goal. He's done that forever, did it every game last playoffs, and just expects to get away with it or draw a retaliation penalty. I am really glad that the refs are calling all the cheap shit and keeping things somewhat strict.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
When I first watched that I thought he was talking about the referee putting his hand up. Then I re-watch it and he's talking about mcdavid as if he's some arbiter of objective officiating. Mcdavid reacted to what he thought was a high stick, coach. It doesn't mean it happened. The bigger point is the stick, whether it touched the puck or not, had no impact on the goal being scored. I had no clue they could actually review that and and still not sure that's the case. Did the refs simply appease Mcdavid and check with Toronto? That's a bad precedent if that's the case but I guess it doesn't matter as long as they make the right call which they did.
Thats called begging. The NHL is on a slippery slope with reviews. Its a human sport, and to go back in time that far on a call whether missed or not turns the sport into video analysis game. I dont like offside challenges either.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I finally saw a video and angle that looks pretty definitive that the puck touched the stick when it is zoomed in to the max. In the end, if you need the Hubble Space Telescope to see the tiniest little touch of the stick then it likely isn't going to be conclusive enough to overturn a playoff goal like that.

The Oilers can blame whoever they want, but they have one of the best offenses and powerplays in NHL history and all they do with it is be little cheapshot artists and hack and slash everyone to goad them into taking penalties so they can all pray to the altar of McJesus to score for them. They can't hang with most teams this postseason 5 on 5 and they don't have the defense and goaltending capable of winning it all if their offense isn't always in supernova mode.

They are literally just mad that all the cheap shit they've done all season long doesn't work when refs start calling it. Crysaitle was right when he said the Oilers needed more maturity, and it starts and begins with him. He is the king of just hacking ankles after whistles for no f***ing reason. There is no reason to risk any cheap shit after the whistle. Especially when you've just scored a goal. He's done that forever, did it every game last playoffs, and just expects to get away with it or draw a retaliation penalty. I am really glad that the refs are calling all the cheap shit and keeping things somewhat strict.

Yeah, I think it did hit the stick. But the Kings have been victims of questionable officiating over the years as well.

Montreal having stick boys measure what Kings players had illegal curves on their sticks and using that info to nail McSorely.

Geoff Courtnall plowing over and concussing Storr, and the Blues amazingly ending up with the 5 minute PP which they scored 4 times on.

Bourque knocking Murray’s shot out of the air when it very likely was over the line in Game 2 of 2001.

All those plays could have changed the outcome of those series had they been different, but in all those instances the Kings still had ample opportunity to win each game/series and didn’t come through.

On the flip side the Kings have also benefitted from some questionable calls as well. Gretzky’s high stick on Gilmour. I also still to this day have no idea how Stumpel’s goal in the Frenzy on Figueroa was ruled a goal.

It all evens out.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Fiala could possibly return for game 4. That would be a huge boost for the Kings.

The only concern I have for Fiala is that he keeps his emotion in check and doesn't go to the box like Crysaitle. As long as he keeps his penalties in check he'd be invaluable and very difficult for Edmonton's bottom 6 to contain. He's our best player by far, it is only a net positive to get him back.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The only concern I have for Fiala is that he keeps his emotion in check and doesn't go to the box like Crysaitle. As long as he keeps his penalties in check he'd be invaluable and very difficult for Edmonton's bottom 6 to contain. He's our best player by far, it is only a net positive to get him back.
LAK bottom 6 was outplayed in each game so far. With Fiala likely to slot in on the 3rd line that will no longer be the case. And the other plus is him on PP1... esp coming back line 3 is best spot for him until he gets his sea legs.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Korpisalo is like a top NHL goalie in the current NHL but I don’t think you could say that in the 2012 days at all.View attachment 694131
You are not wrong because scoring has never been easier but as always context Is king. A lot of teams are playing something close to run and gun hockey. So I’d say 40g in the regular season for LA is better than 40g in Edmonton. It’s the same with the notion that EK should (probably will) get the Norris, he’d never be allowed to play like that on a contender.

Kempe has had a great season, considering the system and the relatively modest scoring around him. I think it’s why he’s looked so good in the post season so far, he’s used to playing a tight checking system.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

In real time for refs, it would be too difficult pick that up with the human eye. If it was a puck with a censor chip in it, video review would have been more definitive. This play was such a rarity, that nothing should be changed in the rule.

Reactions: Telos

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Loving the butt hurt from the Oil fan right now...they under value karma.

Props to TMac- in spite of our nagging about the roster he got it done. Ill eat crow every day and twice on sunday if being wrong equals 12 more playoff wins.
There are moderators that think the league is out to screw Edmonton. Comedy. I’m sure I’ll get banned by some prepubescent twat for saying as much. It’s been nice knowing you all.

Go Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad