Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Ottawa ran their whole offence and game through EK. I have always wondered if EK stayed with Ottawa would he still be a top guy in the league? I don’t think San Jose was a good fit for him. If you guys run your whole game through him maybe he can get his confidence and mojo back

We'll have no choice this season.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hill is 26, he is running out of time for people to use potential for, this will also be his 6th season and 5th full season on an nhl roster. If he does not do anything this season then he will be out of the nhl and into the european leagues very shortly.
Tough to gauge still considering he hasn’t even appeared in a season’s worth of games. I’m not overly worried about his ability to turn into a solid 1. I am worried about his ability to stay healthy though.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Hill is 26, he is running out of time for people to use potential for, this will also be his 6th season and 5th full season on an nhl roster. If he does not do anything this season then he will be out of the nhl and into the european leagues very shortly.

Not necessarily. Goalies have a longer shelf life. Jack Campbell is an example of a guy that took awhile to find his way. So I'd think Hill has a few more NHL years.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I hope Grier pulls Hill aside and gives him his special beetroot and spirulina protein shake recipe that helped him stay extremely durable during his career. Actually, I hope Grier tells the kitchen staff to put it on the rotation, so everyone can benefit.
Yet somehow Kessel is going to break 1000 consecutive games played this year on his diet of regular hot dogs, Primanti's-style hot dogs, and hot dog water

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ottawa ran their whole offence and game through EK. I have always wondered if EK stayed with Ottawa would he still be a top guy in the league? I don’t think San Jose was a good fit for him. If you guys run your whole game through him maybe he can get his confidence and mojo back
Tell us you’ve never seen a Sharks game without telling us you’ve never seen a Sharks game.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So there’s a thread on the main boards about if they don’t produce who will you give up on?

Thought this would be an interesting topic here. I think the obvious one is Labanc right? Any other less obvious personal ones? For me I’m thinking Gregor, mostly because if he doesn’t produce, he’s going to get pushed out by our 2020 draft picks and depth signings.

Reactions: Alwalys

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
So there’s a thread on the main boards about if they don’t produce who will you give up on?

Thought this would be an interesting topic here. I think the obvious one is Labanc right? Any other less obvious personal ones? For me I’m thinking Gregor, mostly because if he doesn’t produce, he’s going to get pushed out by our 2020 draft picks and depth signings.

It's Labanc, yes - if he doesn't produce, he'll get bought out. If he does, he might get dealt (and he even could if he doesn't produce, though that's less likely), but I think if he doesn't have a 40 point season at a minimum, he'll be looking for a new uniform come July.

Reactions: Gecklund

sharski

Jun 4, 2012

Whoa whoa whoa

Per HR, we need to officially put them on a PIP providing specific metrics they need to hit within 90 days and then and only then can we even think about dipping into the severance budget

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
More than Labanc, it's the prospects. Merkley, Reedy, Hill, Gregor, maybe Weatherby...it's make-or-break time.
Reedy and Weatherby not so much cause this is their second seasons each I believe. I think Merkley has a bit more leeway for me because of the lack of RHD in the system. Gregor and Hill I agree on 100%.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Reedy and Weatherby not so much cause this is their second seasons each I believe. I think Merkley has a bit more leeway for me because of the lack of RHD in the system. Gregor and Hill I agree on 100%.
Merkley is definitely the one I instantly thought of. He's entering d+5 season, with a lack of RHD and puck-movers on the roster. Not to mention there's a new gm who doesn't have draft-loyalty to give him a leash.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
We'll have no choice this season.
Gotta let him run wild though. Not sure if he can still do it? But he lost his mojo when he went to San. Or maybe the injuries actually caught up with him.. that’s very possible

Tell us you’ve never seen a Sharks game without telling us you’ve never seen a Sharks game.
I watched in the playoffs… and some reg season games.. every game I saw King K looked neutered to me.. like
He had to play with rules. He wasn’t the king anymore. His hair no longer blowing in the wind.

Not the same guy from Ottawa that’s for sure.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Gotta let him run wild though. Not sure if he can still do it? But he lost his mojo when he went to San. Or maybe the injuries actually caught up with him.. that’s very possible

I watched in the playoffs… and some reg season games.. every game I saw King K looked neutered to me.. like
He had to play with rules. He wasn’t the king anymore. His hair no longer blowing in the wind.

Not the same guy from Ottawa that’s for sure.
That was like 2 torn groins and broken ankles ago so no surprise

Reactions: Alwalys

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That's our final RFA, so Grier now has two main priorities:

1. Clearing the excess of goalies, ideally by moving Reimer for a 2nd.
2. Meier extension or trade - figure out what Meier wants, decide whether its in the budget for the team, and trade him before the deadline if its not.

I think Meier is good enough and young enough to be worth keeping if he doesn't cost more than $9 M/8 years or thereabouts, because I think he will still be a good player for the next good Sharks team if he's kept. That doesn't mean I wouldn't move him if a good offer came along, and I'd be feeling out the rest of the league to see what they'd offer.

We absolutely can afford to keep Meier at around that salary (the cap crunch is really only for the next couple of years) if we want to, though our depth will be somewhat limited (and that will remain true if we trade Meier, as well, so I'm not concerned about it).

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyCEO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad