Votes: 77 63.1%
  • Wild Card

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Miss playoffs

Votes: 10 8.2%

• Total voters

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
All this Kopitar talk is funny. He is *NOT* this team's problem by any stretch. I think his minutes will gradually decrease as guys like Vilardi, Byfield and Kaliyev can prove that their effort will be sustained over the course of a season. I'm more worried about getting our defense dialed in. The sooner we make a trade for a big body, mobile, stay at home D like Soucy the better off we will be. I'm pretty sure we could dangle a couple pieces to Seattle and they would bite on it.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
All this Kopitar talk is funny. He is *NOT* this team's problem by any stretch. I think his minutes will gradually decrease as guys like Vilardi, Byfield and Kaliyev can prove that their effort will be sustained over the course of a season. I'm more worried about getting our defense dialed in. The sooner we make a trade for a big body, mobile, stay at home D like Soucy the better off we will be. I'm pretty sure we could dangle a couple pieces to Seattle and they would bite on it.
I guess on the bright side, Kopitar played 18:48 TOI on Tuesday. I think I would be comfortable with that number for the stretch of the season. 2:31 of that was on the PP. Surprisingly, only 2:36 was on the PK, considering LA had 5 penalties.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
All this Kopitar talk is funny. He is *NOT* this team's problem by any stretch. I think his minutes will gradually decrease as guys like Vilardi, Byfield and Kaliyev can prove that their effort will be sustained over the course of a season.
Can you imagine if all three of these players have breakout years? (Kaliyev kinda already has)....

Will we still be able to argue, non-stop, about the Kings having no ability to develop forwards?? What a sad day that would be...

Reactions: bmr

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If he takes a Bergeron type of deal, assuming he is still productive and still wants to play, then I'd be fine with it. Bergeron is on a 2.5M AAV 1 year deal with a NMC. But by the end of next season, things could drastically change not only with his game, but the young centers.
Yeah exactly, it's totally up to Kopi.

What's really interesting is as things keep progressing, re-signing Arvidsson looks less and less likely. This team is perfectly positioned to make a great offer to Matthews if he makes it to UFA. Matthews-Danault-Byfield would be better than during the cup years. The younger guys won't be making crazy $$$ yet either.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Can you imagine if all three of these players have breakout years? (Kaliyev kinda already has)....

Will we still be able to argue, non-stop, about the Kings having no ability to develop forwards?? What a sad day that would be...
Axl-

It's very possible! Vilardi is the guy on the team that has taken the most obvious step. I am really hoping he sustains that over the course of the year and keeps finding joy in hockey. He has such a contagious personality and could be a great leader for this team. Kaliyev has the potential to be a huge goal scorer in this league. He may be the best pure shooter on the team. Byfield has a pep in his step this year and I love having him with Vilardi and Iafallo. I think that is a very balanced line.

Tuesday's game was super disappointing to me, but I had to remind myself that there are 82 games in a season. Ignoring all the analytic talk, we have a stronger team that is deeper and more capable. Really hope we get to see Clarke tonight. I'm thinking we do.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

You're hypothetically upset about a hypothetical scenario?

Reactions: YP44

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

A guy who makes $10 mill, scoring 60 points is a problem,
especially when playing sleeping pill hockey and having no ability whatsoever to step up against the McDavids and MacKinnons, whe have to face in playoff

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

What's really interesting is as things keep progressing, re-signing Arvidsson looks less and less likely. This team is perfectly positioned to make a great offer to Matthews if he makes it to UFA. Matthews-Danault-Byfield would be better than during the cup years. The younger guys won't be making crazy $$$ yet either.

I think Moore might even price himself off the Kings this this offseason. I do not believe he is a re-sign at any cost player based on a really good 2/3 of a season. If he becomes a better finisher, maybe. Arty is going to be a top 6 winger. Gabe may finally be on his way to be a lock top 6 winger as well. Fiala and Kempe aren't going anywhere. Fagemo is waiver eligible next offseason among others and all he's done is get better every season in the AHL.

Teams need to have 6 scoring wingers now to be competitive at the highest levels, but cost vs performance is going to factor in. I wouldn't be an advocate of re-signing any forward to a long-term contract who is 30 or older at the time of signing. That should be a last resort option unless absolutely none of the prospects pan out. Arvidsson will be 30 at the end of his current contract. Only core players should be re-signed at that age and even that becomes an iffy proposition. Hell, you could still be on the hook for 2 more seasons of 4M AAV for Iafallo after this current season.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
A guy who makes $10 mill, scoring 60 points is a problem,
especially when playing sleeping pill hockey and having no ability whatsoever to step up against the McDavids and MacKinnons, whe have to face in playoff
Kopi will be smiling at you when he's over 70 points this year.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016

I think two of Moore, Arvidsson, and Iafallo will be gone by next season. We have Kaliyev, Kupari, Villardi, maybe Fagemo or Turcotte (hopefully) to supplant them with cheaper contracts for the time being.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
with the others- limiting Kopis TOI isnt a knock against him- its putting him and the team in a better position for long term success. No one should consider that a slight against him- dudes got a ton of hard miles under his belt and overworking him at his age isnt good for anybody. Getting Byfield some extra minutes for Kopi to rest is a win/win for both.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
I think two of Moore, Arvidsson, and Iafallo will be gone by next season. We have Kaliyev, Kupari, Villardi, maybe Fagemo or Turcotte (hopefully) to supplant them with cheaper contracts for the time being.
Moore is UFA
Arvi has 2 years left
Iafallo has 3 year left- Iafallo to Buffalo for cap space is might appealing.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
with the others- limiting Kopis TOI isnt a knock against him- its putting him and the team in a better position for long term success. No one should consider that a slight against him- dudes got a ton of hard miles under his belt and overworking him at his age isnt good for anybody. Getting Byfield some extra minutes for Kopi to rest is a win/win for both.
I don't think anyone around here with half a brain is debating that. The debate is more about this idea that Kopi basically sucks now, is dragging the team down, can't keep up with anyone, not worth his paycheck etc. It's exaggerated bullshit....just like many of the other constant arguments around here.

Reactions: Cianide

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I would love to see this but 70 points is also not the standard for a 10 mill man.
Even then, that doesn't change that he can't keep up with the big boys.
Just some food for thought ... you specifically reference McDavid and McKinnon as your 'big boys'. Well, not too many players in the league can contain those guys, that's kind of why they are superstars. Not to mention, both of those guys are getting paid over 12-mil a year. So, if you want to use salary as the reference point, why would we expect Kopitar to contain those two players?

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I think this season's going to be a struggle in getting the young guys (Byfield, Vilardi, Kaliyev) into the top 6. TM is just going to have to understand that there's a learning curve. Also, our defense is likely going to be a problem this year.

Reactions: Kurrilino

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think this season's going to be a struggle in getting the young guys (Byfield, Vilardi, Kaliyev) into the top 6. TM is just going to have to understand that there's a learning curve. Also, our defense is likely going to be a problem this year.

To much of an emphasis on top 6, most of the best teams in the league get offense from 3 lines now. The type of roster that many of us grew up watching with 2 scoring lines, a checking line and an energy/goon line are over. Young players being on a "3rd line" should not prevent them from contributing offensively.

The Kings have multiple players expected to contribute offensively on every line except the 4th line, which is the Kings energy line/toughness line (when Lemieux dresses).

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Just some food for thought ... you specifically reference McDavid and McKinnon as your 'big boys'. Well, not too many players in the league can contain those guys, that's kind of why they are superstars. Not to mention, both of those guys are getting paid over 12-mil a year. So, if you want to use salary as the reference point, why would we expect Kopitar to contain those two players?

If you are asking for 10 mill you are not far off 12 mill.
Kopitar is paid as our 1st line center so his job is to take over the game and force the win.
If he can't we won't have a shot at the cup which means we might as well bench or press box him and use those 10 mill in a different way.

Beside that, Kopitar couldn't keep remotely up with those boys when they were paid $6.85 Mill, which renders the argument useless.

In general i am happy if big bucks are paid to people who can control the game but contracts shouldn't be given longer than the player being 31.
It would be lovely if Kopitar would have walked away and signed in Vegas or New York just to see their future crumbling

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You're hypothetically upset about a hypothetical scenario?

Talk about inventing something to be mad about, huh?

"what if these guys all develop and are used properly, huh? What THEN?!?"

No, not many can. Previously that was the beauty of Kopitar--he was 'just a 70-something point player but he turned your 100+ point player into a 50 point player, winning matchups handily.

Now some people are going 'yeah but he still puts up 60-70 points' while forgetting those 100 point players are steamrolling him since the beginning of calendar year 2022.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Talk about inventing something to be mad about, huh?

"what if these guys all develop and are used properly, huh? What THEN?!?"

No, not many can. Previously that was the beauty of Kopitar--he was 'just a 70-something point player but he turned your 100+ point player into a 50 point player, winning matchups handily.

Now some people are going 'yeah but he still puts up 60-70 points' while forgetting those 100 point players are steamrolling him since the beginning of calendar year 2022.
steamrolling? c'mon dude.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
how do use the 10-mil a different way? you don't just get 10-mil back in cap space if you decide to bench him...what am I missing?
The pressbox is more of a decisions helper for him to ask to play somewhere else.
I am well aware that don't get the 10 Mill back directly.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I can’t even compute how much money was paid for Kopitar/Fiala/ Kempe to suck that much shit through a garden hose.

Well, they combine for $23,375,000 in cap hit on the season, so our top line is about $285,000 per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad