• Wild Card

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Miss playoffs

Votes: 10 8.2%

• Total voters

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
How about we get the 35 year old off the “1st line” at this point? Yes he’s had a fantastic career and moving him takes nothing away from that but he’s gotta be hearing the Reaper’s footsteps at this point. Obviously hyperbole but I hate to imagine if he looks this slow in game 1 imagine going into the playoffs after TM rides him into the ground playing 1st line minutes again.

Let’s get crazy.

Kempe-Danault-Fiala
Vilardi-Byfield-Kaliyev
Moore-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Lemieux-JAD-Iafallo
Lizotte/Grundstrom

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
How about we get the 35 year old off the “1st line” at this point? Yes he’s had a fantastic career and moving him takes nothing away from that but he’s gotta be hearing the Reaper’s footsteps at this point. Obviously hyperbole but I hate to imagine if he looks this slow in game 1 imagine going into the playoffs after TM rides him into the ground playing 1st line minutes again.

Let’s get crazy.

Kempe-Danault-Fiala
Vilardi-Byfield-Kaliyev
Moore-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Lemieux-JAD-Iafallo
Lizotte/Grundstrom
Kopitar looked just fine last night and had a beautiful assist on the Kempe goal.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Danault was better last season by many metrics. I know it was only one game, but it was promising that Kopi didn't play 21 plus minutes last night and didn't lead the forwards in ice time. If he is not the best center in LA this season for the second season in a row, I would hope the staff would recognize how to properly manage his minutes and role. Especially if QB emerges this season.

One thing the Kings need to stop doing is giving Kopi the best cuts of beef at the dinner table. They should not be stacking his line with the best forwards or best point producers in an effort to prolong his effectiveness. Fiala's future with the Kings is not on Kopitar's wing. It's on Byfield's. His present may be there, but for how long who knows. Not all players have meshed with Kopi's style of play.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Let’s get crazy.

Kempe-Danault-Fiala
Vilardi-Byfield-Kaliyev
Moore-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Lemieux-JAD-Iafallo
Lizotte/Grundstrom
I'm not opposed to removing Kopitar off the first, but I'd still like to see a better balance of vets with rookies eventually (note I'm not advocating to make drastic changes immediately):
Iafallo - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Kempe - Byfield - Fiala
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Lemieux - Lizotte/JAD - Grundstrom

Reactions: YP44 and cyclones22

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Fiala is better on the boards/in traffic than I thought, he’s like a speedier Iafallo there, but with high end vision.
Precisely why I'd love to Fiala in Iafallo's current spot, skating alongside QB and Vilardi (or Kaliyev). Kopitar should be the 3rd line center with Iafallo and someone like Moore. Kempe would do great with Danault. They looked good together last year for a brief time.

Vegas is tough with Eichel and Stevenson up the middle, but Kopitar got waxed last night. I'm glad his minutes declined but the overall role/situational use needs to change.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I don't understand everyone's beef with Kopi; saying he looks old/slow/bad/etc.

The guy has literally carried this team on his back for almost 20 years.
Like you said its been almost 20 years. Hes a Kings legend. But its time for a new group. He is losing matchups as a 1c. There is no shame in it and it doesnt mean you hate Kopitar and all hes done for the team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Kopitar's my favorite player. He's not been as effective as he has in the past. Unfortunately, on top of his age, he HAS been carrying the team. That's a recipe for wearing a guy's effectiveness. The biggest reason he's lasted this long is he doesn't play a physically punishing style of play.

He has really needed to play reduced minutes for some time. His best contemporary, Patrice Bergeron, has played far fewer minutes his entire career. Bergeron has averaged over 20 minutes per game TWICE his whole career: 2006-07 and 2005-06.

Conversely Kopitar has averaged over 20 minutes per game EVERY season except 2: 2014-15 and this season, which is one game old.

His durability and consistency is amazing, but the Kings need to take better care of him.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

Dude, you need to get with the program. As long as old-man Slowpitar is playing 1st line minutes and leading our team in points, Byfield will never have the opportunity to develop into the player he was drafted for. These loser veterans are doing nothing but stealing from the youth.

Reactions: kinghock

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Which is why we should alleviate that burden now that he's in his mid 30s. He could still be a very effective two-way center, but he can't carry a first line anymore at an elite level.
Well that's fine but that's not on Kopi; someone's going to have step up and show they can play 1C.

Byfield has looked like an AHL'er for the most part of his career so far. Right now Kopitar is hands down our best and most consistent C; him leading the team in scoring for the hundredth time would not at all be surprising. Guys an absolute beast.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Well that's fine but that's not on Kopi; someone's going to have step up and show they can play 1C.

Byfield has looked like an AHL'er for the most part of his career so far. Right now Kopitar is hands down our best and most consistent C; him leading the team in scoring for the hundredth time would not at all be surprising. Guys an absolute beast.
It doesnt matter if he scores a goal every game but is on the ice for 2 of the other teams. He is losing his matchups and a minus player last year. No need to be a brat about the facts. Zero people have said Byfield is the #1c.
Kopitar should be leading in scoring because hes good, plays a lot of minutes, and had every second of meaningful powerplay minutes last year.
With that said I thought he played pretty well in game 1.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It doesnt matter if he scores a goal every game but is on the ice for 2 of the other teams. He is losing his matchups and a minus player last year. No need to be a brat about the facts. Zero people have said Byfield is the #1c.
Kopitar should be leading in scoring because hes good, plays a lot of minutes, and had every second of meaningful powerplay minutes last year.
With that said I thought he played pretty well in game 1.

Yeah not sure why so many people are saying he's our best and most consistent C; he was outscored at 5v5 by several Kings last year and was objectively on the negative side of his matchups from january on, the numbers from the Oilers series are particularly damning (especially with Danault at nearly 70% gf%), and by the numbers was also one of our worst forwards last night. He's obviously a Kings legend and still immensely talented offensively--hence his assist and his effectiveness on the PP--but the guy has been getting absolutely murdered by other teams #1 centers consistently since the turn of the year and last night was no exception.

Wouldn't be surprised to watch him get obliterated by Beniers on Thurs. It's not Kopitar being 'bad', it's just that father time shows up for everyone. No one's saying they hate him or anything just that it's faulty logic extrapolating past performance to equal current success.

All that being said the minute distribution last night was a step in the right direction, hopefully they keep recognizing him getting totally beat down though.

For the first time in his career, I would actually be surprised at this, and I think there are several Kings that would overtake him especially if they were given the same opportunities.

And to be clear I'm definitely not saying bury him yesterday, just continue to ease his minutes while adding to others.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Kopitar's my favorite player. He's not been as effective as he has in the past. Unfortunately, on top of his age, he HAS been carrying the team. That's a recipe for wearing a guy's effectiveness. The biggest reason he's lasted this long is he doesn't play a physically punishing style of play.

He has really needed to play reduced minutes for some time. His best contemporary, Patrice Bergeron, has played far fewer minutes his entire career. Bergeron has averaged over 20 minutes per game TWICE his whole career: 2006-07 and 2005-06.

Conversely Kopitar has averaged over 20 minutes per game EVERY season except 2: 2014-15 and this season, which is one game old.

His durability and consistency is amazing, but the Kings need to take better care of him.
Perfectly articulated.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Dude, you need to get with the program. As long as old-man Slowpitar is playing 1st line minutes and leading our team in points, Byfield will never have the opportunity to develop into the player he was drafted for. These loser veterans are doing nothing but stealing from the youth.
That’s not the burn you think it is 🤷

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
What's double irritating is the amount of Vegas fans that are in the arena. I was at last season's opening night game against the Knights and it's the same thing. Season ticket holders selling their tickets to the visiting fans for profit.
People aren't selling their tickets for profit right now and certainly weren't last year either when the arena was half empty all year. Plenty of tickets in my section on the secondary markets for 75% of what I paid for my seats, and the same was true for last night. If there are too many visiting fans in the arena it's not the season ticket holders' fault.

Reactions: BigKing

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Because they have only made the playoffs three times since 2014 and only won 4 playoff games in that span.

He hasn't carried them very far in the last 8 years, but the super fans don't seem to notice that. They aren't going to win with him again. It doesn't happen. No team in the last 30 years has gone more than a span of 6 years between Cups with the same core, and those two teams that did go 6 years apart made the playoffs every season in between those Cups.

Kopitar has always been an outstanding player, but he just doesn't have the same effect on games he did in the past. He did not have a strong game last night - the assist was pretty, but he was a step behind on three goals against, he couldn't keep up with his linemates, and struggled again trying to move the puck quickly on the PP.

It happens to everyone, and the Kings should be very grateful for everything he has done. They just aren't going to be a real contender with a #1c who is in the bottom third of first line pivots league wide. Its not like his race has been run, but he is in the back end of the middle of the pack. Prioritizing the development of the next #1c needs to be more urgent if they want to take advantage of what he can still do well.

Reactions: Bandit and Herby

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Because they have only made the playoffs three times since 2014 and only won 4 playoff games in that span.

He hasn't carried them very far in the last 8 years, but the super fans don't seem to notice that. They aren't going to win with him again. It doesn't happen. No team in the last 30 years has gone more than a span of 6 years between Cups with the same core, and those two teams that did go 6 years apart made the playoffs every season in between those Cups.

Kopitar has always been an outstanding player, but he just doesn't have the same effect on games he did in the past. He did not have a strong game last night - the assist was pretty, but he was a step behind on three goals against, he couldn't keep up with his linemates, and struggled again trying to move the puck quickly on the PP.

It happens to everyone, and the Kings should be very grateful for everything he has done. They just aren't going to be a real contender with a #1c who is in the bottom third of first line pivots league wide. Its not like his race has been run, but he is in the back end of the middle of the pack. Prioritizing the development of the next #1c needs to be more urgent if they want to take advantage of what he can still do well.
I think this is pretty fair.

The objective needs to be that they can get Byfield, Kopitar and Danault with even ice time, (effectively three x 2c) by the play-offs. Then over the next couple years Byfield then hopefully becomes the 1C and Kopitar is one of the leagues better 3C (or even 4C).

Obviously that’s the overly optimistic take that needs a lot of things to go right. The early chemistry between Byfield and Vilardi could be crucial to a lot of things including the development of QB.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

So the reason the Kings haven't made the playoffs in past years is because Kopitar couldn't carry them? How many single players can "carry" a team to the playoffs? McDavid/Crosby? Maybe a hot goalie?

Don't blame Kopi for not making the playoffs when he's led the team in points as he's doing everything he's capable of. If you guys want a Vilardi/Byfield/whoever to take up that 1C role then maybe they should play like a 1C. Outside of this preseason Vilardi and Byfield both looked like AHL'ers. Not Kopitar's fault the players around him haven't been very good.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah not sure why so many people are saying he's our best and most consistent C; he was outscored at 5v5 by several Kings last year and was objectively on the negative side of his matchups from january on, the numbers from the Oilers series are particularly damning (especially with Danault at nearly 70% gf%), and by the numbers was also one of our worst forwards last night. He's obviously a Kings legend and still immensely talented offensively--hence his assist and his effectiveness on the PP--but the guy has been getting absolutely murdered by other teams #1 centers consistently since the turn of the year and last night was no exception.

Good points and another bit on Danault, just about everyone he played with last season excelled when on his line. Moore, Iafallo, Arvidsson, Kempe, Kaliyev even. The only player who didn't was AA, shocker! Danault simply elevates his linemates. Instant synergy it seems. Kopitar's linemates have been a revolving door because there's not always a specific stylistic fit. Hell, they still trotted Brown with him a good amount last season even though he was cooked. Now that IA is off his line, it's going to be interesting to see how effective the line is without a puck retriever.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
How about we get the 35 year old off the “1st line” at this point? Yes he’s had a fantastic career and moving him takes nothing away from that but he’s gotta be hearing the Reaper’s footsteps at this point.

I thought that would only happen when he's 45, not 35. :skeptic:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
People aren't selling their tickets for profit right now and certainly weren't last year either when the arena was half empty all year. Plenty of tickets in my section on the secondary markets for 75% of what I paid for my seats, and the same was true for last night. If there are too many visiting fans in the arena it's not the season ticket holders' fault.
Additionally, this is the time of year when all the sports market is most saturated: NFL and college football, baseball playoffs, MLS playoffs, hockey and basketball starting up...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
A lot of us have been banging the reduce Kopitar's time drum for a while now. He's obviously slowed down but he can still be damn effective if he's managed correctly. I don't really put much stock in his playoffs last year because let's face it, McDavid murders everyone. I would say Kopitar could matchup favorably to about half the first lines in the league, but the half he doesn't matchup well with is the half we have to beat.

He could definitely feast on easier competition at this stage, It as easy as scrambling things a bit and putting Danault out against top lines. And I wouldn't discount the Kings winning with him and Doughty again. I don't think it could happen under his current deal, but if he still has the ability to put up 40-50 points on the 3rd line in a few years he could supplement the new core.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
A lot of us have been banging the reduce Kopitar's time drum for a while now. He's obviously slowed down but he can still be damn effective if he's managed correctly. I don't really put much stock in his playoffs last year because let's face it, McDavid murders everyone. I would say Kopitar could matchup favorably to about half the first lines in the league, but the half he doesn't matchup well with is the half we have to beat.

He could definitely feast on easier competition at this stage, It as easy as scrambling things a bit and putting Danault out against top lines. And I wouldn't discount the Kings winning with him and Doughty again. I don't think it could happen under his current deal, but if he still has the ability to put up 40-50 points on the 3rd line in a few years he could supplement the new core.

If he takes a Bergeron type of deal, assuming he is still productive and still wants to play, then I'd be fine with it. Bergeron is on a 2.5M AAV 1 year deal with a NMC. But by the end of next season, things could drastically change not only with his game, but the young centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad