GDT: 2022-23 season game 80 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @7:30pm 4/8/23

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
You guys still care about the health of the opposition while they’re trying to injure the Kings? Anyone still holding onto that position yet? Or are we all in agreement now that the Kings should be crushing these guys in any way necessary since these teams show no regard for our players.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Well, Toby has already been sent down.
Congrads to Laferriere!
Hope he plays these last 2 games...and scores his first King goal and surpasses Turcotte...or nets 3 goals in 2 games, to tie Byfield.

I could be wrong but I believe Bjornfot's and Spene's status as emergency recalls necessitates them being re-assigned to the AHL when not actively in the lineup. I haven't checked this with anyone at work BUT

The AHL Transaction wire has Bjornfot being assigned to Ontario yesterday and Spence being assigned today. No PR releases on either transaction, no players sent to IR and Mikey Anderson in a red non-contact jersey at practice on Friday, AND the Reign being in Abbottsford leads me to believe that Spence and Bjornfot to Ontario yesterday and today (a day when practice was cancelled and the Reign were in Abbottsford on the 7th and 8th leads me to believe that either Spence or Bjornfot or both will be recalled on emergency basis again based on need.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I could be wrong but I believe Bjornfot's and Spene's status as emergency recalls necessitates them being re-assigned to the AHL when not actively in the lineup. I haven't checked this with anyone at work BUT

The AHL Transaction wire has Bjornfot being assigned to Ontario yesterday and Spence being assigned today. No PR releases on either transaction, no players sent to IR and Mikey Anderson in a red non-contact jersey at practice on Friday, AND the Reign being in Abbottsford leads me to believe that Spence and Bjornfot to Ontario yesterday and today (a day when practice was cancelled and the Reign were in Abbottsford on the 7th and 8th leads me to believe that either Spence or Bjornfot or both will be recalled on emergency basis again based on need.
Correction... an email just went out announcing both Spence and Bjornfot being re-assigned to Ontario BUT previously the team publicly announced Bjornfot being recalled on emergency basis before both games he was on the roster so.... my opinion still stands.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
McNabb is 2.85 million.....not sure if you want to classify that as cheap....

cheaper then ? I look at anything under 3 for a dman, considering what a lot make, fairly cheap. I still dont see him other than an average/less than dman. Hell, this board couldn't wait to get rid of him. Remember McBadd?

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
cheaper then ? I look at anything under 3 for a dman, considering what a lot make, fairly cheap. I still dont see him other than an average/less than dman. Hell, this board couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Exactly.....and once gone....they want a LHD JUST LIKE HIM.....

Hence.....me questioning this board's ability to judge players......

Reactions: kingsfan28

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I agree trends and recency matter when you're trying to predict the outcome of upcoming games.

So obviously you don't what to be playing your worst right before playoffs.

BUT. Ups and downs are inevitable over the course of a season, it's natural. So you can't overweight recency when trying to evaluate a team. You have to look at the larger sample size because you don't know when the recent trend will inevitably change.

The other problem is that you can be the better team, and still lose the game. Which is why small sample sizes are problematic.

The Kings are what they are, and the last few weeks haven't changed that. If they play Edmonton in round 1 they probably lose. Any one else in the conference I think it's closer to a 50/50 outcome.

I disagree vs EDM. If healthy, they can beat them. They're not some impossible scoring machine that nobody can stop. We are better on d than last years team and added a top scorer [ 2 if you count Valardi] and can now score on the pp. They proved the can stop Mcdavid and Draisitl . it was only in the last two games they did anything, winning 2-0 and 2-1. The real question mark will be who's healthy 2 weeks from now.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Nah, I don't think I'll be letting one of the resident clowns tell me what to do today. Watching people dunk on you can occasionally be entertaining
thats very androgynous of you!

I disagree vs EDM. If healthy, they can beat them. They're not some impossible scoring machine that nobody can stop. We are better on d than last years team and added a top scorer [ 2 if you count Valardi] and can now score on the pp. They proved the can stop Mcdavid and Draisitl . it was only in the last two games they did anything, winning 2-0 and 2-1. The real question mark will be who's healthy 2 weeks from now.
the bigger break in between the fin and playoffs the better.

Nice positive take!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
When the Kings beat those same teams earlier this season, they were healthy and not missing 3 key pieces. They were going for the season sweep vs the Avs last night and deserved better. Two of our key injuries happened against both the Avs [ Fiala's knee] and the Oilers [Andersens head] . So you don't think that played into the 0-4-0 record at all against those same teams?

Of course it did. But again, the Avalanche were missing players, too. Vegas has been missing their second best forward almost all year.

Injuries do not excuse a total collapse at the most important time of the year against the most important opponents.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
We could beat them yes, but I think our chances would be relatively low.

I think EDM is arguably the best team in the NHL.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
I'd like to see Boston vs Edmonton in the final......main board will be on pins and needles until Marchand "hits" McDavid.....followed by a glorious meltdown.

Reactions: GameNight

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
We could beat them yes, but I think our chances would be relatively low.

I think EDM is arguably the best team in the NHL.
What are you arguments for them being the best in the NHL? Im curious. I have irrational take. I feel that hey have too many guys that lack a certain virtue that will make them crack psychologically under pressure. They will blame each other and implode.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think Boston will be out in the 2nd round.

They have a GF% 63.51% against a xGF% 53.82%. +10% isn't sustainable.

You combine that with an old roster and they're bound to come up short IMO.
So what Boston has done over 80 games is unsustainable, but the Kings splitting the season series against potential playoff teams (no more than 4 games against any of them) gives you confidence in their ability to beat them?

You could well be right, but I'm not sure how your confidence gets applied.

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So what Boston has done over 80 games is unsustainable, but the Kings splitting the season series against potential playoff teams (no more than 4 games against any of them) gives you confidence in their ability to beat them?
I didn't really say that.

I said Kings would probably lose to the Oilers, but against other potential Western Conference opponents their chances would be closer to 50/50.

My point was that the last week or so hasn't really changed my opinion on the Kings.

As for Boston, they're good. Very good. I just don't think they're as good as their record.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
What are you arguments for them being the best in the NHL? Im curious. I have irrational take. I feel that hey have too many guys that lack a certain virtue that will make them crack psychologically under pressure. They will blame each other and implode.
A combination of trad stats, analytics, trend and observation/hunch.

Take out 3-on-3 and the shootout, and the Oilers have the 2nd best record in the NHL behind only Boston. And they did that while have goaltending issues most of the year.

If the goaltending issues are resolved, you could definitely argue they're the best team. The analytics indicate what they're doing is more sustainable than what Boston is doing.

Remember they were a top 4 team last year (Conference Finals), and this team is better than that one.

Their defense is a lot better than people think. Bouchard has developed into a top quality dman.

Bouchard-Ekholm is one of the best D pairings in the NHL. They didn't have that last year.

And I just have a hunch about them. Usually the team with the generational talent eventually wins. Gretzky with the Oilers. Lemieux with the Pens. Crosby with the Pens. McDavid with the Oilers?

Also seems like teams who have lots of ups and downs throughout the season and put it together down the stretch are often the dangerous ones.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I think its a reasonable to state, as I have that maybe BYf should be bumped down.
He did open up space for Ke n Ko but now he has been heavily scouted.
Teams know his weakness and that he is often not a threat to score and gives up the puck.
It seems to be hurting Ke n Ko and the line now
To criticize his character and expect to much and drag the entire team scouting , drafting and development into it is a typical of the over reactionary posters here.
The criticize every young player that is not brought up and blame the coaches when those called up play poorly.

Byfield doesn't need to be bumped down or up.
He is a natural playmaking center which was obvious after setting up some nice goals for Kempe and Kopitar. Those guys don't do well as scoring wingers since they have a pass first mentallity.
If we want him to succeed, he needs to play center with fast and competent winger.

Same thing for Kupari, he really makes huge steps forward and all the tools like speed, game vision and dangling are there.

Give those guys quality minutes with Wingers like Kempe or Fiala for god sakes

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Correction... an email just went out announcing both Spence and Bjornfot being re-assigned to Ontario BUT previously the team publicly announced Bjornfot being recalled on emergency basis before both games he was on the roster so.... my opinion still stands.
I think you are correct, that emergency recalls are essentially game to game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad