GDT: 2022-23 season game 77 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @5:00pm 4/2/23

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I think the 4th line has been buzzing, but bless MacEwen, i'ts just a game of catch between Grundstrom and Kupari. If they had a third guy who could handle the puck like it wasn't a brick, they'd be even more dangerous, and could be a 4th line that would break a game in the playoffs.
Bring up the Finn

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Who's getting mad? It was calling out a weakness in the org and mentioning the best resource(s) to address it. That's getting mad now?

And, sorry, but when people were clamoring for an LHD earlier this season, weren't you asking for specific moves Blake could make?
For over two years we have come up with examples and specific names and possible trade targets, so you have got to be f***ing kidding me.

And before the inevitable 'well that guy wasn't moved' half of them were and for less than we came up with in many instances.

This has to be the only board on this whole damn site who is terrified of criticizing management.

No one is afraid to criticize f*** all, but at least have some f***ing substance for it.....OMG Team ABC traded Player XYZ for less than what we would have given only makes sense, if you KNOW what team ABC wanted, for all we know they didn't want anyone on our team...or didn't want to trade that player to us etc....

It's a two way street......the issue I have is the asinine criticism of, OMG we have had a LD hole for YEARS and nothing was done to fix it, well...you know, except drafting 7 LHD in 5 years, and signing 3-4 of them...if that's nothing....I mean...f***? Really?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Who's getting mad? It was calling out a weakness in the org and mentioning the best resource(s) to address it. That's getting mad now?

And, sorry, but when people were clamoring for an LHD earlier this season, weren't you asking for specific moves Blake could make?

And people still haven't provided road maps to how these players should've or could've been acquired.

And you're right, it's not mad. It's criticizing a move you make up in your own head that doesn't happen in real life. Trade this guy for some other guy, and if it doesn't happen, I'm blaming you. That's empty criticism. That's criticizing the concept of not making a trade, without knowing any variables.

Criticizing Petersen's contract, at least we know what it is. There's a mote concrete debate to be had. Critizing a figment of your imagination, there's nothing to debate.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
And people still haven't provided road maps to how these players should've or could've been acquired.

And you're right, it's not mad. It's criticizing a move you make up in your own head that doesn't happen in real life. Trade this guy for some other guy, and if it doesn't happen, I'm blaming you. That's empty criticism. That's criticizing the concept of not making a trade, without knowing any variables.

Criticizing Petersen's contract, at least we know what it is. There's a mote concrete debate to be had. Critizing a figment of your imagination, there's nothing to debate.

Do you have examples of this? Who here is criticizing Blake for moves they made up?

It’s a valid thought experiment to say that we have a lot of money tied up in forwards and therefore we will need to move one if we want to address our deficiencies at LHD. I can extrapolate who I think should and should not stay.

But I don’t see anyone saying “Blake’s an idiot for not trading Durzi for Soucy”. Your whole argument is hinged on a straw man that I haven’t seen and your crusade against this the past couple days is pretty weird.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do you have examples of this? Who here is criticizing Blake for moves they made up?

It’s a valid thought experiment to say that we have a lot of money tied up in forwards and therefore we will need to move one if we want to address our deficiencies at LHD. I can extrapolate who I think should and should not stay.

But I don’t see anyone saying “Blake’s an idiot for not trading Durzi for Soucy”. Your whole argument is hinged on a straw man that I haven’t seen and your crusade against this the past couple days is pretty weird.

Yeah I'm really not a fan of this bullshit abstraction stuff meant to shut down discussion while contributing nothing but empty words.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So you:
- demand road maps to how players should have or could have been acquired
- accuse others of making up trades and getting angry when the trades don't occur.

Doesn't seem like you want an honest conversation.

Without details though, what exactly are you criticizing? I mean are we talking about abstract discussion here? Are we criticizing him not getting a LD during the off season? Ok, great....let's discuss that.....what's your criticism, that he didn't get one? Ok, great, who was available? Soucy? Ok, great, what was the price? 2 1sts and Durzi? Ok great.....you think he should have done that etc?

Without any details.....what exactly is the discussion about what you think he might have been able to maybe do? How is that criticism?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
It's just bizarre TM played Edler on the B2B -- especially this close to the playoffs and in a non-must win situation. Zero sense. Weird to say the least.

Reactions: King'sPawn

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Trade a RHD for a LHD. It's all people do.

So you:
- demand road maps to how players should have or could have been acquired
- accuse others of making up trades and getting angry when the trades don't occur.

Doesn't seem like you want an honest conversation.

Because we don't know the road maps. I am asking the impossible, because that's my point. We don't know what options have or have not been available to Blake, but we criticize the moves he hasn't made, or the outcome of moves made before we know the outcome.

Doesn't seem like you want to give current management a chance. And then when they don't win enough, which is likely to happen, you get to say you were right about x, y, and z.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doesn't seem like you want to give current management a chance. And then when they don't win enough, which is likely to happen, you get to say you were right about x, y, and z.

When easily solvable things--given years and assets--go predictably bad, and said predictably bad things are a major factor in losses--yes, we get to say we're right about those things.

We're not happy about them.

It's not about giving management a chance, these weren't some sudden issues.

Reactions: chris kontos

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Because we don't know the road maps. I am asking the impossible, because that's my point. We don't know what options have or have not been available to Blake, but we criticize the moves he hasn't made, or the outcome of moves made before we know the outcome.

Dress it up however you want. You ask for the impossible, and people who engage in your nonsense either feel discouraged from voicing their displeasures (because you, admittedly, ask them the impossible) or gaslit for making up scenarios after indulging you.

People are able to say they were right sbout x, y, z, because Blake has tried addressing the holes in the organization that people said were holes. And sure, credit goes to Blake for finally filling the holes, but they were holes people said would happen years ago if not addressed sooner.

What, can we only criticize a manager after the manager is no longer employed? Can we only talk about Dean Lombardi, Dave Taylor, and all their predecessors, because we don't know whether Rob Blake's tenure will end with him eventually winning a cup?

The view from last night's seats.

Attachments

• 20230402_171205.jpg
    20230402_171205.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 3
The numbers say that quite starkly, actually. There's a reason that line is sticking together despite some relatively sagging play.

I'm not sure how you can say that definitively when there hasn't been many other combinations tried except Kempe from my memory. I would think a guy like Grunstrom could have a big impact being able to create turnovers on the forecheck.

So cool!

Only had front row seats once and it was back in like 2010 against Minny. I remember Boogaard was MASSIVE.
I sat on the glass in Calgary and Vancouver. We were in the third row in Edmonton in the corner so you could see the entire ice. Paid no more than $150 for those tickets. First time sitting closer than row 4. Glad the kings played a decent game on the trip. Oh and first and last time to climate pledge arena. That place sucks!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm not sure how you can say that definitively when there hasn't been many other combinations tried except Kempe from my memory. I would think a guy like Grunstrom could have a big impact being able to create turnovers on the forecheck.

I don't know if Grundstrom is quick enough.....on that top line...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The view from last night's seats.
How's the game experience overall sitting that close?

I find at Crypto when I sit closer to the game action the audio sucks (the PA is near indiscernible), and it's harder to see all of the action. So that's prevented me from getting glass seats.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I sat on the glass in Calgary and Vancouver. We were in the third row in Edmonton in the corner so you could see the entire ice. Paid no more than $150 for those tickets. First time sitting closer than row 4. Glad the kings played a decent game on the trip. Oh and first and last time to climate pledge arena. That place sucks!

The parking situation there is bonkers, prices through the roof if you don't take public transport. It's just jammed in uptown next to the needle which wasn't great planning. You have to pre-purchase and it's usually $40+ for your typical lot. You can get lucky occasionally but it's anything but an easy in and out. It's kind of a chore getting in and out of that area.

I'm comparing to Staples of course (which is relatively easy), and Honda (even easier). It's more like Dodger Stadium.

I don't know if Grundstrom is quick enough.....on that top line...

His turnovers alone make it a dangerous proposition. He's not the most savvy in his own end and having out there against good competition isn't the best recipe.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Yet again making up a trade in your head, and getting mad when it doesn't happen.

Not mad at all. You’re projecting hard.

As RJ said far better just above. We had years to work on this issue and stood Pat. Now we pay premium prices.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The parking situation there is bonkers, prices through the roof if you don't take public transport. It's just jammed in uptown next to the needle which wasn't great planning. You have to pre-purchase and it's usually $40+ for your typical lot. You can get lucky occasionally but it's anything but an easy in and out. It's kind of a chore getting in and out of that area.

I'm comparing to Staples of course (which is relatively easy), and Honda (even easier). It's more like Dodger Stadium.

His turnovers alone make it a dangerous proposition. He's not the most savvy in his own end and having out there against good competition isn't the best recipe.

Yep, kid is a bulldog though in the opposing zone.....he's a bottom six player for sure on any team in the league.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

As RJ said far better just above. We had years to work on this issue and stood Pat. Now we pay premium prices.

See this is the dishonesty that is rampant on this board......

We had YEARS to work on this....ok....

2018-2019 - LHD - Martinez, Forbort, Phaneuf....I know.....I know...
2019 Draft - Bjornfoot and Noussainen
2019-2020 - LHD - Hutton, Martinez, Anderson, Ryan
2020 Draft - Meehan
2020-2021 - LHD - Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague, MacDermid, Maatta
2021 Draft - Kirasanov
2021 - 2022 - LHD - Anderson, Bjornfot, Edler, Maata,
2022 Draft - Booth....

Tell me again how they didn't work on this issue? Again, you can argue the results....but you can't say they ignored it FFS.....they drafted 5 LHD in that time frame, and signed/traded for 4 more, plus adding Gavrikov this year...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

They have had quite a long time to figure this out, but the prices I don't think have changed that much.

I feel one major reason that the deficiencies weren't addressed sooner was that things have been getting more expensive for desirable players for some time. You can bet it's been a first+ for a LD of Gavrikov's caliber for the last few seasons. The price wasn't premium at all, could you imagine the cost of Koprisalo and Gavrikov if they were still under contract? The cap squeezes everyone.

Looking back Blake should have pulled the trigger sooner, but he surely misread how well this squad would perform. But there is also this - what if the cost was Vilardi (who was underperforming)? He was struggling and didn't look like he was heading towards a major break out. The prospect picture is much clearer now than it was, so who knows what would have happened.

My biggest criticism is that Blake didn't take advantage of the expansion draft better to fill that hole. There is a lot of movement going on at that time and prices tend to drop. But hey, he seems to have learned from missteps which is key to becoming a better GM.

Reactions: Mattias

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They have had quite a long time to figure this out, but the prices I don't think have changed that much.

I feel one major reason that the deficiencies weren't addressed sooner was that things have been getting more expensive for desirable players for some time. You can bet it's been a first+ for a LD of Gavrikov's caliber for the last few seasons. The price wasn't premium at all, could you imagine the cost of Koprisalo and Gavrikov if they were still under contract? The cap squeezes everyone.

Looking back Blake should have pulled the trigger sooner, but he surely misread how well this squad would perform. But there is also this - what if the cost was Vilardi (who was underperforming)? He was struggling and didn't look like he was heading towards a major break out. The prospect picture is much clearer now than it was, so who knows what would have happened.

My biggest criticism is that Blake didn't take advantage of the expansion draft better to fill that hole. There is a lot of movement going on at that time and prices tend to drop. But hey, he seems to have learned from missteps which is key to becoming a better GM.

I dunno about that, you can argue no team did that, ala Vegas, because most teams learned NOT to do that

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I dunno about that, you can argue no team did that, ala Vegas, because most teams learned NOT to do that

Yeah, Vegas had a major effect on the Seattle draft. Still, prices were cheaper and with all the shuffling of assets there were deals to be had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad