GDT: 2022-23 season game 77 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @5:00pm 4/2/23

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, Vegas had a major effect on the Seattle draft. Still, prices were cheaper and with all the shuffling of assets there were deals to be had.

I don't remember, how many deals were made for the expansion draft? Like I said, teams saw what Vegas did, and basically said, nope, not doing that again, so not sure what or how many deals were to be actually had

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not sure how you can say that definitively when there hasn't been many other combinations tried except Kempe from my memory. I would think a guy like Grunstrom could have a big impact being able to create turnovers on the forecheck.

It's easy, Kopitar (and Kempe) have been on the negative side of the ledger until Byfield moved up and all three have gone nuclear. They help each other.

other combos were tried, including Fiala.

I would agree that Grundstrom would be a fit too since he's a similar puckhound. You'll never catch me saying he in particular should play less. I just am saying they're not breaking up that line becuase even when they're not producing, they're pushing play vs. elite competition, which frees others up to score (imagine when our '3rd' line of Fiala/Vilardi are back. )

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't remember, how many deals were made for the expansion draft? Like I said, teams saw what Vegas did, and basically said, nope, not doing that again, so not sure what or how many deals were to be actually had

There were a good amount of deals. Ryan Graves was traded in the week leading up to the draft (due to the Avalanche's logjam), I thought he would have been a good target. Nick Leddy was as well, but he was a bit long in the tooth for my tastes. Ellis was also traded, but wrong hand. Certainly teams were listening to offers.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
It's easy, Kopitar (and Kempe) have been on the negative side of the ledger until Byfield moved up and all three have gone nuclear. They help each other.

other combos were tried, including Fiala.

I would agree that Grundstrom would be a fit too since he's a similar puckhound. You'll never catch me saying he in particular should play less. I just am saying they're not breaking up that line becuase even when they're not producing, they're pushing play vs. elite competition, which frees others up to score (imagine when our '3rd' line of Fiala/Vilardi are back. )
I meant to say Fiala not Kempe. But that's fine I get what you're saying. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing another look and with Grundstrom in particular. I'm pretty sure you're also on team Grundstrom as am I and yeah he'd be like the Dustin brown wrecking ball with better puck possession. I'm pretty confident that if Grundstrom gets more ice time somewhere else he's going to be a solid 2nd/3rd line winger that brings speed and physicality.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I meant to say Fiala not Kempe. But that's fine I get what you're saying. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing another look and with Grundstrom in particular. I'm pretty sure you're also on team Grundstrom as am I and yeah he'd be like the Dustin brown wrecking ball with better puck possession. I'm pretty confident that if Grundstrom gets more ice time somewhere else he's going to be a solid 2nd/3rd line winger that brings speed and physicality.

I was curious how Tonka would look next to Danault too. But yeah would love to see him get a middle six opportunity if he can wind out some inconsistencies (but he needs playing time to do so, very chicken and egg like all the other kids we talk about).

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I was curious how Tonka would look next to Danault too. But yeah would love to see him get a middle six opportunity if he can wind out some inconsistencies (but he needs playing time to do so, very chicken and egg like all the other kids we talk about).
Didn't Grundstrom break out last playoffs while playing on the Danault line? They have some history.
Outside of the top line though I think he can fit in anywhere, All he has to do is play the body and forecheck and then throw pucks at the net because he can really snipe it, I think the only place he'd struggle to do that is the top line.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Except when it comes to any offense. It ends with him.
If you're looking for offense from your 12th forward on the 4th line maybe you should check your top line left winger first -- you know the one who has 3 whole goals playing with two of the best forwards in the game.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Didn't Grundstrom break out last playoffs while playing on the Danault line? They have some history.
Outside of the top line though I think he can fit in anywhere, All he has to do is play the body and forecheck and then throw pucks at the net because he can really snipe it, I think the only place he'd struggle to do that is the top line.
I wish Gabe could play Center so we could stick him with Fiala . Grundy has Adam Deadmarsh energy without the fighting.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
The parking situation there is bonkers, prices through the roof if you don't take public transport. It's just jammed in uptown next to the needle which wasn't great planning. You have to pre-purchase and it's usually $40+ for your typical lot. You can get lucky occasionally but it's anything but an easy in and out. It's kind of a chore getting in and out of that area.

I'm comparing to Staples of course (which is relatively easy), and Honda (even easier). It's more like Dodger Stadium.

Easiest way I have found to get to the games is park downtown by the monorail station and just ride that in. Saves money and time.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you're looking for offense from your 12th forward on the 4th line maybe you should check your top line left winger first -- you know the one who has 3 whole goals playing with two of the best forwards in the game.

You mean the one that's helped Kopitar and Kempe go over PPG and 70% GF% since?

If they aren't slaughtering the opposition and the possession and defensive metrics sink with it, sure, start tinkering, but no one in the NHL, not even Todd, would break up a line scoring nearly 3 goals for for each 1 against vs. elite competition, especially given Kopitar and nearly anyone else this year were in the red under 50%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

If they aren't slaughtering the opposition and the possession and defensive metrics sink with it, sure, start tinkering, but no one in the NHL, not even Todd, would break up a line scoring 3 goals for for each 1 against.
"You have to be patient with the prospects."
Also
"This prospect is underperforming in (insert single stat) and is a problem."

Probably still blames him for not carrying Brown and Athanasiou at the age of 19.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

If they aren't slaughtering the opposition and the possession and defensive metrics sink with it, sure, start tinkering, but no one in the NHL, not even Todd, would break up a line scoring nearly 3 goals for for each 1 against vs. elite competition, especially given Kopitar and nearly anyone else this year were in the red under 50%.
Talk about missing the point.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Put me in the camp of "Grundstrom deserves a chance". I don't know what else the guy can do to get more playing time on anything other than the 4th line. He's strong on the forecheck and along the boards, skates well enough, takes the body and has a wicked shot.

#freegrundy

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How many goals/assists should your 12th forward have by now, let's all hear it.

10-20, so MacEwen is on the low end of that for the year, particularly with LA. But I agree with both of you--12th forward relatively 'doesn't matter' yet he also is where plays go to die on that line. But he's also a large drag on the guys he's been playing with, Grundstrom's metrics are cut in half with MacEwen.

Which is why I balked at the Byfield comparison--even when not directly scoring he's amplifying the everliving f*** out of his line

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
How many goals/assists should your 12th forward have by now, let's all hear it.

I know this is referencing MacEwen more, but as far as QB:

Believe it or not, Byfield has a better points/60 at ES than Kempe, Danault, Arvidsson, and Moore. He's 7th on the team in that category, among regulars. He's 16th in goals/60 which isn't good. He is 2nd in assists/60, just in front of Kopitar, which is fabulous.

He's opened stuff up for Kopitar and Kempe on that line, he certainly demands attention out there due to his speed and forechecking.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I know this is referencing MacEwen more, but as far as QB:

Believe it or not, Byfield has a better points/60 at ES than Kempe, Danault, Arvidsson, and Moore. He's 7th on the team in that category, among regulars. He's 16th in goals/60 which isn't good. He is 2nd in assists/60, just in front of Kopitar, which is fabulous.

He's opened stuff up for Kopitar and Kempe on that line, he certainly demands attention out there due to his speed and forechecking.
This really wasn't about Byfield, the point is very simple -- if you need offense from a forward you ain't getting it from the 12th forward. Those stats pointed out by our prospect den mother are ridiculous, the guy has played 7 games.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This really wasn't about Byfield, the point is very simple -- if you need offense from a forward you ain't getting it from the 12th forward. Those stats pointed out by our prospect den mother are ridiculous, the guy has played 7 games.

The guy has played 53 games and has 10 points, and I said that's fine if on the low end

You're the one who made the ridiculous inclusion of Byfield and I was just pointing out HOW ridiculous it was, so if everything falls apart on that point, that's you falling in your own puddle.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The guy has played 53 games and has 10 points, and I said that's fine if on the low end

You're the one who made the ridiculous inclusion of Byfield and I was just pointing out HOW ridiculous it was, so if everything falls apart on that point, that's you falling in your own puddle.
Dude, he's played 7 whole games with the Kings. If you want production look elsewhere. I love people calling others obtuse resorting to playing dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad