GDT: 2022-23 season game 7 LA Kings vs Washington Capitals @4:00pm 10/22/22

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, the goaltending could definitely be better, but, with the exception of a few names, most guys aren't playing that well. I don't know the last time this team looked so disjointed. I feel more comfortable with Quick in net, but Petersen needs to get most of the starts to find his game. If it costs them a playoff spot, then so be it. At least we'll know what we have by the end of the season...
Yes I agree, what is the difference between not making the playoffs and another 1st round exit.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah, the goaltending could definitely be better, but, with the exception of a few names, most guys aren't playing that well. I don't know the last time this team looked so disjointed. I feel more comfortable with Quick in net, but Petersen needs to get most of the starts to find his game. If it costs them a playoff spot, then so be it. At least we'll know what we have by the end of the season...
What the f***? How long does it take someone to find his game? He’s had all the rope in the world and he hasn’t found it. I will have much better luck finding El Dorado than Petersen will have in finding his game. There is no game to found for this guy. You guys need to wake up. He’s been bad for a while.

Yes I agree, what is the difference between not making the playoffs and another 1st round exit.
A big difference. First, Firings undoubtedly if they crater this season. Second, you lose a year of knowing what you have in your team because you bet your ass players will mail it in completely if this continues. Third, you waste another year and players will rightfully lose trust in the captain of this ship. Bad locker room possibilities will skyrocket if they miss.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
What the f***? How long does it take someone to find his game? He’s had all the rope in the world and he hasn’t found it. I will have much better luck finding El Dorado than Petersen will have in finding his game. There is no game to found for this guy. You guys need to wake up. He’s been bad for a while.

A big difference. First, Firings undoubtedly if they crater this season. Second, you lose a year of knowing what you have in your team because you bet your ass players will mail it in completely if this continues. Third, you waste another year and players will rightfully lose trust in the captain of this ship. Bad locker room possibilities will skyrocket if they miss.
Dude, c'mon. I know it's hard for you, but just stop.

I'm no big fan of Cal, but even if he was playing to the standard of last year, he'd be 2-goals less a game than he is for the start of this season. Obviously, he has the ability to play better and the Kings are on the hook with him because of the contract extension. Take a Xanax and say your prayers.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You realize people get traded right? Goalies that were recently traded. Matt Murray, Kakkonen, Georgiev, Fleury, Mrazek, Husso, Talbot, Vanecek, and Blackwood was available for a while and Gibson was rumored to be available.
Why do you go to such great lengths to defend management even when you know you are lying? I hope you get paid for your time as crusader of the Blake regime on here.
What, you expect only a team of salaried, full-time people who have years in the industry to figure out ways to trade and acquire a backup goaltender?

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I understand your frustration with the Goalie work but what NHL team is going to fork over a decent goalie
None. Blake needs to take the egg on the face and send Cal down and recall Copley. Acquire a LHD even if its a reclamation project and definitely not injury prone Chickenrun. Make room to call up Bjorny immediately and Spence too by the trade deadline. Todd needs to own his role and stop blaming the players every time.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Just give Cal 60 starts & rejoice at the draft. Cal has a 4M bonus next year & 1M salary. If traded to a rebuilding team for their starter after the bonus the new team is on the hook for 1M that year & can buy him out after the year. This money will be less than most starting goalies make & should save the rebuilding team money.

Defense, fixing the D for this year is pointless. Look long term at
Mikey, Doughty
???, Clarke
Björnfot, Spence

If guys like Roy, Walker, Durzi can improve & play the left, great.
Option 1, find a fit for the second pair.
Option 2, find a fit for the 1st pair & bump Mikey down.

Could add a 1st pair RD & move Doughty to the left. Shouldn't make his breakout passes much worse.

Either way, these changes aren't likely until after the draft. Just hope Todd, Cal, D can figure something out.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just how much do you get paid by the Kings? It’s perplexing how you have your head so deep into the sand that you don’t realize how bad the goaltending situation is.

Just because you're reading what I wrote incorrectly doesn't mean you're right. I never said the goalies are playing well. I said why does someone want a 37 year old goalie? Why does someone want the empty shell we call Petersen? It's not a matter of wanting to trade them. It's can you trade them? Likely no. I dont believe they'll put Petey in Ontario either. Who are you bringing in? Who is willing to give up their own decent goalie? Just because you say overpay to get the guy, doesn't mean there's a guy to overpay to get. At least come up with a concrete name, not just an abstract concept like, they need to overpay for a goalie. But, again, details don't matter. Just overpay for a goalie.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Just because you're reading what I wrote incorrectly doesn't mean you're right. I never said the goalies are playing well. I said why does someone want a 37 year old goalie? Why does someone want the empty shell we call Petersen? It's not a matter of wanting to trade them. It's can you trade them? Likely no. I dont believe they'll put Petey in Ontario either. Who are you bringing in? Who is willing to give up their own decent goalie? Just because you say overpay to get the guy, doesn't mean there's a guy to overpay to get. At least come up with a concrete name, not just an abstract concept like, they need to overpay for a goalie. But, again, details don't matter. Just overpay for a goalie.

Why should anyone try to disprove a negative? No one is misreading you. People disagree because of your incessantly reductive line of reasoning in every argument.

Throwing up your hands and saying everything is unsolvable over and over will get you labeled as a someone accepts status quo regardless of the results.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Just give Cal 60 starts & rejoice at the draft. Cal has a 4M bonus next year & 1M salary. If traded to a rebuilding team for their starter after the bonus the new team is on the hook for 1M that year & can buy him out after the year. This money will be less than most starting goalies make & should save the rebuilding team money.

Defense, fixing the D for this year is pointless. Look long term at
Mikey, Doughty
???, Clarke
Björnfot, Spence

If guys like Roy, Walker, Durzi can improve & play the left, great.
Option 1, find a fit for the second pair.
Option 2, find a fit for the 1st pair & bump Mikey down.

Could add a 1st pair RD & move Doughty to the left. Shouldn't make his breakout passes much worse.

Either way, these changes aren't likely until after the draft. Just hope Todd, Cal, D can figure something out.
Interesting info on Cals contract and it hints Blake has a back up plan with him, your stated buyout next year. I would still send him down and give Copley a shot. Copley played very well on Saturday. Executive management has directed Blake to make the playoffs. That is why he acquired Arvy, Dano and Fiala. According to your future D above we only need one acquisition and space for call ups. Why wouldn't we fix it before the deadline and not after the draft when executives would can T. Mac and maybe Blake too in your draft tank strategy. And Blake and Mac know that. Trying DD on RD is something that should be done now. No way shakeups do not happen before the trade deadline.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Define decent goalie. After you do that, find the one that's available, even for an overpay. But again, I'm sure details don't matter. Just get this guy. Just get rid of that guy. That's all that matters.

Erik Portillo, not willing to sign with the sabres.
6'6 huge, fantastic stats and playing lights out in Michigan
USHL First All Star
Can be had for almost nothing

I would say it's worth a shot

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Interesting info on Cals contract and it hints Blake has a back up plan with him, your stated buyout next year. I would still send him down and give Copley a shot. Copley played very well on Saturday. Executive management has directed Blake to make the playoffs. That is why he acquired Arvy, Dano and Fiala. According to your future D above we only need one acquisition and space for call ups. Why wouldn't we fix it before the deadline and not after the draft when executives would can T. Mac and maybe Blake too in your draft tank strategy. And Blake and Mac know that. Trying DD on RD is something that should be done now. No way shakeups do not happen before the trade deadline.
To fix things the King's need an upgrade in goal & on D. This will be expensive asset wise to do now. As it is unlikely the King's are pushing for a cup this year, there's no point in blowing the assets now to plug the hole.

Reactions: kevsh

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why should anyone try to disprove a negative? No one is misreading you. People disagree because of your incessantly reductive line of reasoning in every argument.

Throwing up your hands and saying everything is unsolvable over and over will get you labeled as a someone accepts status quo regardless of the results.

You provide nothing but overpay for a goalie. There's no conversation to be had. And yes, I like to keep things within realistic cap considerations when talking about player movement. The same way teams in the league today dont really get to trade themselves out of early season problems. Especially when I have no idea whether or not they're even looking for any as of yet unnamed goaltender. Give me more than simply overpay for a goalie and I'll love to talk strategy. But details never matter.

We're fans. What does anyone here not accepting the status quo of the goalies do in real life? You make it sound like we have some kind of say in what the roster looks like.

Erik Portillo, not willing to sign with the sabres.
6'6 huge, fantastic stats and playing lights out in Michigan
USHL First All Star
Can be had for almost nothing

I would say it's worth a shot

Finally, a name. One that makes sense from a cap perspective too.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
They aren't going to send Cal down after only 7 games and the Kings winning 3 of them. It's a horrible message to send to the team...unrealistic and not happening.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
To fix things the King's need an upgrade in goal & on D. This will be expensive asset wise to do now. As it is unlikely the King's are pushing for a cup this year, there's no point in blowing the assets now to plug the hole.
That is why I am advocating taking a shot at doing it from within and or a possible reclamation project or two. If it fails we end up in the draft lottery territory you are surveying. Actually, with AI on the reserve, and with a couple other bold moves there is actually a bit of room to pick up a legit player if call ups work on one or the other, goal or D. The executives road map is make the playoffs or bust not win the cup or bust. So I agree with you on a lot but mainly not the cup or bust scenario that will not be utilized from the executive management on down at this time. Now lets see what happens.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
They aren't going to send Cal down after only 7 games and the Kings winning 3 of them. It's a horrible message to send to the team...unrealistic and not happening.
Right and thats why I said its what "should" happen. Rip the band aid off the goal tending and stitch it up now by dealing with Cal! Something I have been advocating since the offseason. I am also inferring that if individuals, the team, goal tending and defense do not improve as we go along into 2023 part of the season things will happen and this is one possibility. And the more any other stop gap moves fail or can not be implemented, the more it becomes a possibility.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Rip the band aid off the goal tending and stitch it up now by dealing with Cal!
Dude, they just gave him a 3 year contract extension that started this year -- the org obviously believes in him and most likely will give him every chance possible to work this out. There is no band-aid to rip off.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Dude, they just gave him a 3 year contract extension that started this year -- the org obviously believes in him and most likely will give him every chance possible to work this out. There is no band-aid to rip off.
Dudemanbro, goal tending is a gaping wound and not doing anything after watching Cal over the last 2 seasons, is the band aid covering it up. I thought you were one of the posters mentioning Cals waning performance over the last seasons, but I could be wrong. I am sure even those in the Kings ship are fully aware of the expanding leak via Cal. And that seems to be adding pressure and workload on the aging Quick who now seems to be also regressing instead of being a solid backup, because of it. I acknowledged that it would make management look bad presently and that makes it unlikely in the short term. No need to restate it over and over.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Dudemanbro, goal tending is a gaping wound and not doing anything after watching Cal over the last 2 seasons, is the band aid covering it up. I thought you were one of the posters mentioning Cals waning performance over the last seasons, but I could be wrong. I am sure even those in the Kings ship are fully aware of the expanding leak via Cal. And that seems to be adding pressure and workload on the aging Quick who now seems to be also regressing instead of being a solid backup, because of it. I acknowledged that it would make management look bad presently and that makes it unlikely in the short term. No need to restate it over and over.
I think calling it a 'gaping wound' going back over the last two seasons is overly dramatic. His stats last season were about equal to the stats in his previous season that landed him a 3-year contract extension. He was in net for 20 of the 44 wins the team had last year...the only thing that seemed obvious was that Quick was the better netminder at a time where they wanted Cal to prove that he could be the #1 guy.

He's had a horrendous start to the season, no doubt...but Quick hasn't been much better nor has the team's defense as a whole. I think you have to give it 20 games for the team to prove they can get on track and if that happens, I think you see the goaltending improve as well. But nothing is decided after f***ing 7 games into the season....just stop.

Reactions: shuchukfan

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think calling it a 'gaping wound' going back over the last two seasons is overly dramatic. His stats last season were about equal to the stats in his previous season that landed him a 3-year contract extension. He was in net for 20 of the 44 wins the team had last year...the only thing that seemed obvious was that Quick was the better netminder at a time where they wanted Cal to prove that he could be the #1 guy.

He's had a horrendous start to the season, no doubt...but Quick hasn't been much better nor has the team's defense as a whole. I think you have to give it 20 games for the team to prove they can get on track and if that happens, I think you see the goaltending improve as well. But nothing is decided after f***ing 7 games into the season....just stop.
Lol, you are right its a bit of an overstatement. Your stats are correct but I feel many would agree the eyeball test shows regression seriously impacting the team and teammates. You have stated what the management team is likely to do and I am stating what I would do now. If you want to hold up stop signs and be a crossing guard sign up with your local school district. I say what I want when I want as much as I want.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Lol, you are right its a bit of an overstatement. Your stats are correct but I feel many would agree the eyeball test shows regression. You have stated what the management team is likely to do and I am stating what I would do now. If you want to hold up stop signs and be a crossing guard sign up with your local school district. I say what I want when I want as much as I want.
Say whatever you want, but you'll be wrong. So if that's your thing, more power to ya.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Say whatever you want, but you'll be wrong. So if that's your thing, more power to ya.
I dont think I will be wrong by the trade deadline. Either performances improve, or changes are coming. I respect your knowledge, not sure if you are a lawyer or what but your extremely adversarial posting style is interesting.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I dont think I will be wrong by the trade deadline. Either performances improve, or changes are coming. I respect your knowledge, not sure if you are a lawyer or what but your extremely adversarial posting style on this blog is interesting.
Well if we are betting on the trade deadline, you can take my money now if CP doesn't get going (not sure who would trade for him though). That was kinda my point, it's 7 games in, not 60.

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Any player that "mails it in" gets a one-way ticket to Greenville, and gets to be a Swamp Rabbit the rest of the season. Younger guys will appreciate the opportunity to show what they have learned by demonstrating it at the NHL level.

I get it if you want to make a change in the goaltending on the roster, but the only way to change it is to move Quick or Cal in a trade, and I am just not sure if either one has value at this time. I would still like to see Quick get one more shot with a contender.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I

Cal has two wins. And by what measurement is Quick playing better? Slightly closer losses? One sucks, the other blows. Big deal.

Quick is getting by purely on reputation among Kings fans. If Mr. New Hire came in and played exactly like this with the same results, the whip store would be out of stock.
Quick is playing better than Cal by every single quantitative metric. Wins are a team stat.

You're probably right that JQ isn't getting as much criticism as he deserves because of reputation, but to imply that he hasn't been measurably better than Cal is false.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad